weekly Plumtreelad's 52 for 2015 - Week 7 Bold

A nice start. Nice clear image,
plenty of detail in the cap (y)

Seems that most of the puns have been done, too :D

Thanks Cobra for the comments. At least I think that I have sorted the process and I now wait for Friday and the first theme

Glad you avoided the temptation for another pun!

Brilliant shot. Really good colouring, great lighting and pretty good depth of field. I might have liked the stem in focus but not really sure.

Oh and I think it fits theme with a great pattern to the top.

I really like it, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Brilliant shot. Really good colouring, great lighting and pretty good depth of field. I might have liked the stem in focus but not really sure.

Oh and I think it fits theme with a great pattern to the top.

I really like it, keep up the good work.
Hey Dan. Your comments are helpful and reassuring. I think that you are right about the stem. I should have pushed the aperture a little more but was worried about the shutter speed - although I did have a tripod and so could have taken a bit more risk.
I have never taken on anything like this before - it will challenge me but I guess that it is the best way to learn.
My next fear to overcome will be to dare to comment on other members' images.

Hi David and welcome ... I love the shot ...I so wish I'd taken that one ...focus is spot on for me and the angle too ...a really excellent start and my favourite of the week so far.

I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge :)
Hey, thanks Susie. You would have laughed if you had seen me sprawled out on the floor of the woods in The New Forest trying to get tho image nailed. It is so ungainly to be laying flat and trying to adjust the tripod and then hoping you can get your eye to the viewfinder - live view was called into action. Anyway, judging by your very kind words, the efforts were justified.
Thanks again and I look forward to what is certain to be a challenging year

Nice one David, love the colour of that shroom, not so sure on the angle to be honest, but still the detail is excellent and well lit too - great start (y)
Thanks Dark Knight. I know what you mean about the angle. I was being a bit lazy with setting up the camera on the tripod as it was very close to the ground. I guess that I should have straightened it when cropping but was trying to be arty!

Thanks Dark Knight. I know what you mean about the angle. I was being a bit lazy with setting up the camera on the tripod as it was very close to the ground. I guess that I should have straightened it when cropping but was trying to be arty!
Totally understand David... That sounds like me every shot :D

For me it's such a cracking DoF and a lovely background the mushroom holds the shot on it's own, that said it still works really well as it is :)

Hey Dan. Your comments are helpful and reassuring. I think that you are right about the stem. I should have pushed the aperture a little more but was worried about the shutter speed - although I did have a tripod and so could have taken a bit more risk.
I have never taken on anything like this before - it will challenge me but I guess that it is the best way to learn.
My next fear to overcome will be to dare to comment on other members' images.

It's always a compromise with photography, well most of the time. I see why you had to go wide on the aperture.

I have tried this twice failed both times about week 9, not sure why. It is a good process although the commenting can get a bit much sometimes as there are so many at the start.

I wouldn't worry about making comments on other people's shots as you might see something they didn't and its all about learning.

All the best for the project and look forward to seeing more.

Welcome to the mad house, lovely detail and some good patterns on the shroom. Off to a great start with that image, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Not sure I like the sound of "mad house"! I am usually low on imagination so this will really test me. Looking forward to the feedback/comments. Getting the thick skin ready.

Have to say good first effort if you've not taken any images like that before! And well done for getting down on the ground… My wife generally walks away from me at that point and says i'm an embarrassment!

I personally think the DOF is perfect due to the theme. It emphasises the pattern on the top! I think the effect would have been not as strong if DOF was increased.

Good start

Mark

Have to say good first effort if you've not taken any images like that before! And well done for getting down on the ground… My wife generally walks away from me at that point and says i'm an embarrassment!

I personally think the DOF is perfect due to the theme. It emphasises the pattern on the top! I think the effect would have been not as strong if DOF was increased.

Good start

Mark
Thanks for the words of encouragement Mark. Much appreciated

I'm in agreement with Mark the DOF highlights the important part of the image for me. And to cap it all you managed to get @Cobra to avoid a pun!

Welcome aboard David, really good to have you here.

No need to worry about joining in - we really are a friendly bunch and the only thick skin you'll need is for if you intend to do any more crawling around on the forest floor ;)
That's not to say that people won't give you honest feedback and advice but it will be constructive and helpful.

That really is a gorgeous image to start with too.
Beautiful colours, stunning light, I love the composition and it has a real mystical fairytale feel to it.
I'm in two minds about the DoF and it seems to have split the comments above. It would have been lovely to have the stalk in sharp focus, but then again I love the way that the fungi is isolated from the background as it is and the softness to the ground around it.

i like the DoF in the image and the pattern detail is unusual (to me). I might have done a little bit of housekeeping though and removed the leaf at the bottom left hand corner, but then I am wondering whether that would make it look too neat.

i like the DoF in the image and the pattern detail is unusual (to me). I might have done a little bit of housekeeping though and removed the leaf at the bottom left hand corner, but then I am wondering whether that would make it look too neat.
Hi Mandy, I agree that it would look better if I removed the distracting leaf at the bottom of the stem. I have removed quite a bit and was thinking that I needed to leave it looking natural. Balance to be struck! Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated. Looking forward to my first 52 year.

HI David & welcome aboard the 52's challenge :wave:

I like that fungi.... detail is fab on the cap , lovely muted tones , great DOF (y) & I don't even mind the very squiffy angle :D

If you shot Fungi a lot then a little bit of gardening doesn't go amiss.....I carry a soft bristled paint brush for the job...you've already mentioned the foremost leaves....I'd have been tempted to either remove or clone out the little shroom growing to the lhs as well:)

Really great opening picture (y)
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Love the exquisite detail on the surface of the mushroom - really good lighting and appropriate depth of field - cracking start!

HI David & welcome aboard the 52's challenge :wave:

I like that fungi.... detail is fab on the cap , lovely muted tones , great DOF (y) & I don't even mind the very squiffy angle :D

If you shot Fungi a lot then a little bit of gardening doesn't go amiss.....I carry a soft bristled paint brush for the job...you've already mentioned the foremost leaves....I'd have been tempted to either remove or clone out the little shroom growing to the lhs as well:)
I guess your message is do not shortcut the housekeeping aspect of the image edit. I will take that on board in future.Thanks Lynne

Very nice David. Nice diffuse lighting (overcast?) and great detail. A touch more DOF would be fab but it's still a great shot as is... superb start to your challenge!
Yes, you are right Paul, it was a very cloudy day. which helped enormously. Overall, I tend to agree with you and several others who vote for slightly more DoF although there are several who say it is OK as it is. No right or wrong here. The main element of the image was the cap.
Thanks for your overall comments about the image.

Welcome to 2015 52s David. A beautiful shot to start the year with - love everything about it :clap: With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Back