weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Hi Allan. Too much to catch up on, so I'll just comment on the ones I can see on this page.

Proverb - a new one on me too, but I love the dramatic sky and I think it works really well in b&w.
Pale - nice sharp edges, despite the problems with white-on-white and just enough detail to give it texture.
Tears - a great interpretation of the theme. I like the composition and the sprinkling of tears and all the neutral tones give it a really elegant feel.

Sorry, double posted!

Nice idea, chopping board, neutral colour ... but I agree with Graham about the arrangement of tears. [we miss you too Graham].

Last edited:
Seeing myself mentioned here by Graham @overbez , i had thought that i would comment that the shot for Proverb is excellent - the noise in the sky doesn't bother me because the ships are so clear, such a good use of scale and a good balance between sky and sea.
Had not heard the proverb but an excellent illustration of it.

Knife/onion shot is on theme but maybe a few less tears and for me it is all a little 'grey' which makes the table look a strange colour.
good to see that you are still going and keeping up your usual fast response to the themes.

I have tried a few POTY shots and have achieved few points and one hon mention but agree with Graham that the interaction between participants is nowhere on the level of the 52s. I wanted a project that was a little less hectic than the 52s but still stimulating.but the lack of feedback is what I miss the most. Because the POTY shots are anonymously posted, the 'edge' kind of goes off the shots by the time the judges pronounce. In a way I understand the need not to comment on them before the judges, but I would be surprised if the judges took any notice of others' comments in their judgements.

Anyway still 22 weeks for you to abuse another blameless toy. Look forward to it. (y)

Nice take on the theme, I don't mind the shadows at all - actually I like them! Mono suits it aswell.
Cheers

Thanks for looking in it's not mono though, very muted colours

Not going toooo bad. Entered each month so far and have scored a 2nd and a 4th. :).

Definitely it lacks the camaraderie of the 52, which makes it a bit more of an effort to submit compared to the 52 which sweeps you along with it.

Hope I'll keep going till the end of the year though. Can't be any worse than having to do something each week with the themes that are still left Sarahlee's bag of pain. :D

I think the advantage with pic of the year is having all the themes upfront, if of course you can keep them in mind. My problem with it is the judging which sometimes is a little odd,
lots of good images never make it anywhere, it seems they need to be pretty :meh: :indifferent:

sarahlee's bag of pain sounds so wrong, but then again so true :LOL:

Hi Allan. Too much to catch up on, so I'll just comment on the ones I can see on this page.

Proverb - a new one on me too, but I love the dramatic sky and I think it works really well in b&w.
Pale - nice sharp edges, despite the problems with white-on-white and just enough detail to give it texture.
Tears - a great interpretation of the theme. I like the composition and the sprinkling of tears and all the neutral tones give it a really elegant feel.

Thanks Elaine

Nice idea, chopping board, neutral colour ... but I agree with Graham out the arrangement of tears. [we miss you too Graham].

Ta

Seeing myself mentioned here by Graham @overbez , i had thought that i would comment that the shot for Proverb is excellent - the noise in the sky doesn't bother me because the ships are so clear, such a good use of scale and a good balance between sky and sea.
Had not heard the proverb but an excellent illustration of it.

Knife/onion shot is on theme but maybe a few less tears and for me it is all a little 'grey' which makes the table look a strange colour.
good to see that you are still going and keeping up your usual fast response to the themes.

I have tried a few POTY shots and have achieved few points and one hon mention but agree with Graham that the interaction between participants is nowhere on the level of the 52s. I wanted a project that was a little less hectic than the 52s but still stimulating.but the lack of feedback is what I miss the most. Because the POTY shots are anonymously posted, the 'edge' kind of goes off the shots by the time the judges pronounce. In a way I understand the need not to comment on them before the judges, but I would be surprised if the judges took any notice of others' comments in their judgements.

Anyway still 22 weeks for you to abuse another blameless toy. Look forward to it. (y)

Thanks for looking in, :) the tears shot is very muted colour wise but I see your point

I don't think anyone is particularly happy with POTY from the bits I have read this year but how do you resolve the issues I don't know.

22 weeks :arghh: plenty of time for some toy cruelty :whistle: wouldn't want to disappoint anyone :eek:

WEEK 31 WORDS

Welcome to Blacon by Allan Howe, on Flickr

This is a sign on the Greenway which runs past my front door, its an old disused railway line which runs from chester to Connahs Quay.

Blacon had at one point one of the largest social housing estates in Europe and over the years has had a pretty bad reputation,
I have lived on the outskirts of it for a few years and can only say its reputation is not as bad as people make out.

This sign and its bit of graffiti made me smile the first time I saw it,

Last edited:
Hi, I thought it said Welcome to Bacon :)

Well spotted. Pity you couldn't get a shallower DOF as the BG, small point.

It's the Yeah Right, that really makes it.

Cheers.

Hi, I thought it said Welcome to Bacon :)

Well spotted. Pity you couldn't get a shallower DOF as the BG, small point.

It's the Yeah Right, that really makes it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy it is the little bit of graffiti indeed that makes it, as for the DoF its a wide angle lens on f4 thats as shallow as it goes

Glad you could see the picture I can only see a red cross where it is supposed to be :thinking:

I have to view via Flickr as I also only see Red Cross.

Strange .

mmm will edit the thread again and see what happens

it is now there, the forum seems to be having a bad time of it recently there where a lot of double posts a few days ago

Last edited:
Hi Allan ....late commenting again but as soon as I saw your Tears shot earlier in the week I thought it was a brilliant choice for the theme, composition is fine to me but defo less 'tears' maybe just two or three. You're quick off the mark again with Words, it's another excellent choice, I like the B&W and that little comment is the icing on the cake.

I keep seeing loads of red crosses too, but this page is fine.

Must add that I miss Graham @overbez .and Alan @superpippo too.

Hi Allan ....late commenting again but as soon as I saw your Tears shot earlier in the week I thought it was a brilliant choice for the theme, composition is fine to me but defo less 'tears' maybe just two or three. You're quick off the mark again with Words, it's another excellent choice, I like the B&W and that little comment is the icing on the cake.

I keep seeing loads of red crosses too, but this page is fine.

Must add that I miss Graham @overbez .and Alan @superpippo too.

Thanks Susie "defo" that made me laugh I always though that was a bit of a merseyside saying obviously not,
"word" not the best image it just amused me the first time I saw it

I miss the pair of lazy gits too, its nice they call in now and again though :)

Hi Allan. I like the contrasting message of Words - a subtle social comment. Nicely spotted and well themed.

The distortion from the wide angle lens works. (y)

Hi Allan. Once a gate support as you say and now supporting the local ecology. Like the symbolism.

Wouldn't wider increase the FG/BG confusions :thinking:

Cheers.

Yeah I know but .... I just want to see the big picture ... where that support thingie goes off to the RHS plus more FG to give perspective harmony. But then of course it would no longer give a hint of supportiness.

Hi Allan,

Tears: Great idea. I like the close crop on this. The bright sunlight is quite harsh but it has worked to highlight the edge of the blade.
Words: Well seen graffiti really makes this shot. I like the mono conversion that conveys an element of bleakness to me (which fits with your description of it having an alleged bad reputation).
Support: A wonderful play on the theme. Once supported a gate and now supporting nature. Very nice shot.

Hi Allan. Once a gate support as you say and now supporting the local ecology. Like the symbolism.

Thanks

Yep that works, love the tatty top end, something about worn wood that I always like, looks a bit like a castle turret :)

Thank you

Hi Allan, I really wanted to find something like this for broken but it alluded me. I love these type of shots, very natural. lots of leafy, woody detail and no doubt with a story to tell.

Thanks Susie, It was a lucky find I never meant to shoot this, sometimes I just go out with the camera and hope to find something

Nicely done and perfectly captured. Like the colour tone, subject and composition of the main subject.

Thanks

Hi, Support, nice idea and well spotted. I'm not keen on the space at the LHS, closer would work better, IMO.

Cheers.

FG/BG confusions ... plus, contrary to @posiview, I'd like to see more not less.

Wouldn't wider increase the FG/BG confusions :thinking:

Cheers.

Yeah I know but .... I just want to see the big picture ... where that support thingie goes off to the RHS plus more FG to give perspective harmony. But then of course it would no longer give a hint of supportiness.

Thanks all valid conclusions but obviously you are both wrong ;) :p

Hi Allan,

Tears: Great idea. I like the close crop on this. The bright sunlight is quite harsh but it has worked to highlight the edge of the blade.
Words: Well seen graffiti really makes this shot. I like the mono conversion that conveys an element of bleakness to me (which fits with your description of it having an alleged bad reputation).
Support: A wonderful play on the theme. Once supported a gate and now supporting nature. Very nice shot.

Thank you

Hi Allan,

Support: Like some have mentioned a nice shot but it took me a moment to see the "main" object. So have to agree with the comments on BG\FG confusion. Still nice :)
Religion: B&W works really. Composition and the exposure of the cross is spot on for me.

Thanks Ian, Support: maybe it's that bag on your head thats obscuring your view :LOL:
Thanks for looking in

Hi Allan. Love the way the light bathes and highlights the cross. Excellent take on theme.

... so simple, yet such a super capture.

[forgive me if I'm wrong]

Last edited:
Back