weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

WEEK 37 SPECIAL

Cat by Allan Howe, on Flickr

First of all sorry to everyone been a little slack recently, so apologies if I have missed some comments had a bit of a catch up earlier

This is a cat which visits the garden quite often. Never managed to get a shot of it before as it tends to run off when it sees you, I have never seen a cat with different coloured eyes before, quite a few dogs

so "special" in a very loose way, not the best pic either but it will have to do

Nice grab. Strange eyes. This is a pretty detailed pic of a feline.

Those eyes certainly make it Special - quite a character too with those scratches on the nose. Lovely shot.

Chilled is super. great detail.

Special is super too. Love the eyes.

Are you being too hard on yourself Allan?

... mean-looking, and then those eyes ....

Nice capture.

Hi Allan, sorry I haven't been here for a while. Great use of b/w in both your Geometric and Fashion shots, especially Geometric which has some great geometric lines and angles.
Chilled - wow, she's gorgeous! You've caught the concentration and sharpness of the eye absolutely perfectly.
Special - sorry to disillusion you, but odd eyes in white cats aren't that uncommon, but nevertheless he/she does look like a very special character and your persistence has certainly paid off with this shot.

Nice grab. Strange eyes. This is a pretty detailed pic of a feline.

Thanks

Those eyes certainly make it Special - quite a character too with those scratches on the nose. Lovely shot.

Thank you

Chilled is super. great detail.

Special is super too. Love the eyes.

Are you being too hard on yourself Allan?

Thanks Brian, maybe but not really getting any inspiration from this and I feel I am putting little effort in, well I know I'm not

... mean-looking, and then those eyes ....

Nice capture.

Thanks d00d, he/she is a big cat too

I proclaim the cat Ziggy !
Great sharp facial detail and the eyes are spot on theme. :clap:

Ziggy, good thinking never crossed my mind till you mentioned it

Hi Allan, sorry I haven't been here for a while. Great use of b/w in both your Geometric and Fashion shots, especially Geometric which has some great geometric lines and angles.
Chilled - wow, she's gorgeous! You've caught the concentration and sharpness of the eye absolutely perfectly.
Special - sorry to disillusion you, but odd eyes in white cats aren't that uncommon, but nevertheless he/she does look like a very special character and your persistence has certainly paid off with this shot.

Thanks Elaine, I did hear once that white cats are more likely to be deaf although this one isn't, what is it about white cats and strange stories :thinking:

Hi Allan :)

Fashion - A nice couple of camera's there, I think the left is a bit oof but that does add to the old look you have created with the B&W and vignette, nice idea :)

Chilled - Love the angle of this photo, good sharp eye and a great grassy background, very nice (y)

Special - Awwwe bless... real nice detail of it's backlit fur, it's eyes look pretty sharp but could be a bit brighter... agree the odd eye colour sure does make it special :)

Damn, that's my idea gone (I wouldn't have been up to your quality anyway).
I like that shot. Nice clear subject, spot on topic, with a beautiful OoF background.
I'm going to shy away from using the B word due to the arguements in the beginner's sub forum, but you do have some very nice points of light going on there too.

Damn, that's my idea gone (I wouldn't have been up to your quality anyway).
I like that shot. Nice clear subject, spot on topic, with a beautiful OoF background.
I'm going to shy away from using the B word due to the arguements in the beginner's sub forum, but you do have some very nice points of light going on there too.

Thanks for looking, please don't shy away from doing what you want it's bound to be different

Good idea and well spotted. Simple but clear image with perfect dof. Not sure what's that on her/his shoulder? Chewing gum?

There is nothing on it's shoulder, it's the gap in the wing showing the other wing through it :confused:

I too was thinking along these lines: there must be a decent statue/monument somewhere in W London saying despair, I even resorted to google but couldn't find anything.

This is perfect Allan, the crying angel, well done for coming up with that. Nice comp. & focus. (y)

Hi Allan :)

Despair - Nicely chosen subject, liking a lot about this, the crop, the lighting giving plenty of detail and a real nice uncluttered background, perfect (y)

Thanks DK

I too was thinking along these lines: there must be a decent statue/monument somewhere in W London saying despair, I even resorted to google but couldn't find anything.

This is perfect Allan, the crying angel, well done for coming up with that. Nice comp. & focus. (y)

There must be something local this was just in a local cemetery,
would have to be an old cemetery though there is a more modern cemetery just down the road which is mostly full of tat,
it's a small (about 15cm) detail on top of a gravestone

I remember about 30 years ago visiting Highgate cemetery which was fantastic, but having just googled it it's in N. London

Superb bit of photography there matey, lovely detail and absolutely faultless. :clapping:

Thanks Allan

Both Kensal Green & Brompton are within easy reach, in fact I'm right between the two. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnificent_Seven_cemeteries
I visited Brompton a few months ago with the aim of getting a decent shot for one of the 52s themes, had little luck and think it must have put me off somewhat. I think winter's is a good time ... less green, more bleak.

Special - I'm a sucker for pussy cats so spot on for me :D

Despair - good spot, and given the state in some countries at the moment I can see the angels weeping. Like the way you achieved separation from the dark background and the level of detail you've captured in the stone (y)

Hi Allan. Excellent choice to convey Despair, lovely detail in the image and good composition..

Noise ... fits the theme, fantastic props, beautifully shot with the heads fading into the noisy BG. (y)

Last edited:
Great idea Allan. A bit on the dark side but "noise" is clearly evident so nicely on theme.

OOoooo how good is that !!!!

Liking the double links to the theme, very unusual subject matter, like scream faces, fits the theme really well, a lovely gritty image too (y)

Thank DK glad you liked it

Sorry Allan, not feeling the love for this one. Fits the theme well, and as DK says, the gritty effect of the high iso suits it, but not for me.

Thats fine its a bit odd

Very good shot Allan, meets theme for expression and pp but has a silent eerie feel

Thanks and no toys where harmed in the making of it

Noise ... fits the theme, fantastic props, beautifully shot with the heads fading into the noisy BG. (y)

Thanks d00d, props are pieces of clay about 1inch high sharp end of pencil for eyes blunt end for mouth, shot on mousemat with the light from computer screen

Great idea Allan. A bit on the dark side but "noise" is clearly evident so nicely on theme.

deliberately dark just wanted to do something a little different

Like it. A bit like a scene from the Blair Witch Project.

I feel there is a beret crop in there.

Cheers.

A beret crop I assume thats similar to a better crop or i need to do some reading up :LOL:
never seen more than about 10 minutes of the Blair witch

Super. Simple and clever. Top marks again this week, you're on form Al. (y)

Thanks for that Brian not sure I am on form though just stumbling through really

Hi Allan ...this didn't show up too well at first on my iPad, but now I can see what it is I like it ....very spooky ....well done with making such effective props, they are very remiscrncent of The Scream' artwork.....perfect choice for the topic.

Thanks Susie

WEEK 40 ENVY

Seagull by Allan Howe, on Flickr

So big shoehorn, the ability to be able to fly under your own power, taken a couple of weeks ago on film but developed on Friday by myself,

a heavy crop so therefore very grainy but I feel it adds a little dream like quality to it, as thats all it will ever be to us

have I mentioned shoehorns :p:mooning:

Yes, I too Envy their freedom of flight. Good composition - don't mind the grainy quality at all.

Back