weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Hi Allan :wave:

Support - what's not to like - and cleverly interpreted to boot (y)

Religion - such a simple picture which provokes a strong emotional response. A family pet I guess and the child's writing makes it more poignant :clap::clap::clap:

Brilliant so simple and love it in black and white

Thanks Laura

Hi Allan, yes, simple but effective,....the cross stands out well ...really nicely lit, good choice in the b&w too.

Thank you Susie

Hi Allan. Love the way the light bathes and highlights the cross. Excellent take on theme.

Thanks

... so simple, yet such a super capture.

[forgive me if I'm wrong]

(you are perfectly right on this occasion :LOL:) Thanks for the nice comment

Yeah like that too, even the vignette goes nicely with the cross, noting to moan about here :)

thank you

Hi Allan :wave:

Support - what's not to like - and cleverly interpreted to boot (y)

Religion - such a simple picture which provokes a strong emotional response. A family pet I guess and the child's writing makes it more poignant :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Jill, I assume a family pet aswell, it was a lucky find having gone out to a church which was disappointing I went for a wander down a lane with the dogs and found this outside someones gate
I knew as soon as I saw it, that it had to be my picture this week

Hi Allan
Just on a bit of a major catch up! I must say you have some cracking shots across your thread(y)
Spiral .... Really like this, great low key lighting! I like the way the highlights are running down the edge of the bit. and the stunning detail and texture, Excellent!
Silhouette ... Nice clean shot very distinctive shot against a white background, A spot on silhouette no critique from me.
Animal .... This is superb Allan! Stunning detail and colour! Brilliant timing of the shot too_Obviously a female by the protesting squawk (few women like the photo taken) :eek: The green OOF background makes the bird stand out particularly well. Great DOF excellent work! Must be a pleasure to work at a Falconry centre.
Medicine ... Another nice low key shot, there is a subtle background in there somewhere too. The muted lighting and low contrast really adds to the mood for this shot I feel and I like the arm appearing to melt away in the top LH corner. personally i think the relaxed fingers make it more poignant and dark if you get my meaning... nicely composed!
Proverb ... Also "No matter how big the sea may be, sometimes two ships collide" by yours Truly Ex RN:). I can see where your going with this lots of space, and interesting scale, I think it works well with the theme.
Pale ... Its a nice idea and the white on white works well... We all have our fetishes:). Like the slight angle but real shame about loosing the tip of the quill:oops: :$. I know White on White is trickier that it looks to do well. and you have done a good job. PS getting the detail ok here(y)
Tears ... Well most of the image works for me but the tears look a bit staged.... Other than that, nicely lit, crisp and sharp. Love that really hard, dare I say knife edge shadow! Quite often you just cant beat natural light.
Words .... Old disused railway, and the gate in keeping with an old railway crossing gate, nice. I think its the graffiti that has made this image, well spotted.
Support ... I like this going back to nature seems to have turned a full circle, once stood in a woodland now returning to its roots. Nice colour and textures.
Religion ... Like the vignette adds to the mood, slightly sad. B&W works well here.

Was remiss of me to miss your thread have a clear conscience now:) well sort of:D

Religion, I expected a lot of crosses for the one :)whistle:) and this I like. I like the fact that's (I hope) a pet's grave.

Bit of the RHS, perhaps.

Cheers.

Now I do like that. Great perspective and in my favourite b&w as well. Geometric everywhere you look.:clap:

Hi, Allan, I wasn't sure at first, mainly because my eye was drawn to the RHS, but then I saw the lampposts and the pavement, and then the trees.

Grown on me. Nice moody sky as well.

Cheers.

Hi, Allan, I wasn't sure at first, mainly because my eye was drawn to the RHS, but then I saw the lampposts and the pavement, and then the trees.

Cheers.

:agree:

Really nice perspective ... I take it you're dead centre between the line of lampposts and the building.

Hi Allan

Religion: Nice and simple. Like :) Nice light on the cross too.
Geometric: Another great shot. The mono works perfectly. I really like the new geometric building and lampposts leading my eye to an older round building. Great Juxtaposition (y)

Hi Allan, Geometric: mono really suits, just an excellent fit for the theme. All very nicely lined up and drawing us to the ?chimney? :clap:

I agree with DK on tear is a fantastic photo. Geometric- as said its everywhere in your photo, I think the conversion was a good idea as the colour may distract from the shapes [emoji3]

Lovely take on Religion. made me feel sad. I like how the cross isn't vertical, adds to the home-made feel.

Geometric, that's a cracker, wish I could say more but wow, Love it. (y)

Now I do like that. Great perspective and in my favourite b&w as well. Geometric everywhere you look.:clap:

Thank you

Cheers.

I left a lot of the RHS in because the of the theme don't think I would have bothered otherwise

:agree:

Really nice perspective ... I take it you're dead centre between the line of lampposts and the building.

The placing of the tower was more important to me, didn't take note as to the exact measurements, luckily enough it all lines up

Hi Allan

Religion: Nice and simple. Like :) Nice light on the cross too.
Geometric: Another great shot. The mono works perfectly. I really like the new geometric building and lampposts leading my eye to an older round building. Great Juxtaposition (y)

Thank you, the shot tower is of course the focal point of the image

Hi Allan, Geometric: mono really suits, just an excellent fit for the theme. All very nicely lined up and drawing us to the ?chimney? :clap:

Thanks

Yeah I'm liking that a lot too Allan,there are loads of leading lines into the image, and the B&W helps all the elements seem equally important too, like it (y)

Thanks DK

I agree with DK on tear is a fantastic photo. Geometric- as said its everywhere in your photo, I think the conversion was a good idea as the colour may distract from the shapes [emoji3]

Thank you

Lovely take on Religion. made me feel sad. I like how the cross isn't vertical, adds to the home-made feel.

Geometric, that's a cracker, wish I could say more but wow, Love it. (y)

Thanks Brian religion made me sad too, with the Childs writing on it brings back sad memories

Just realized Allan I haven't hopped in here yet this week, whats not to like about this one, I love the composition and the b&w, very well spotted to find that perfect location for the theme.

thanks Susie, you are always welcome to hop in

Nice composition and perspective. Like the tall chimney positioned at the third with the lamp posts to one side and the taller and more dominate building (fence?) occupied the other two thirds.

building, its the outer shell of Waitrose, thanks for looking in

WEEK 35 FASHION

Cameras by Allan Howe, on Flickr

Like vinyl I suppose 35mm has come back into fashion, I own a few film cameras which I use more than the digital at the moment, heres a couple of them

Not the best pic, has lots of faults but not really inspired by the subject matter

Last edited:
Hi Allen,

Geometric .... That's really nice and I like the striking old against the new. Myriad of lines there all taking you down to the chimney, I think as said above the B&W brings a sort of balance to the shot. Chimney make a great anchor! Nice shot.

Fashion .... Oh! My beloved ME! I always regretted selling this when I went Digital, lovely camera! Also had a Super in black. Both great cameras the ME and the Trip ( so I believe ). Yes regarding the photo fair few reflections creeping in in front of the cameras Allan, but I think the B&W conversion and the vignette works well here. I was wondering if the cameras weren't a set a little too far back in the frame as the vignette has darkened the top of the cameras, thinking about it I think I'd just ease the vignette a little. Bit of judicial cloning for the reflections and your away(y)
Vinyl was certainly the fashion my Capri 2.0 Ghia had a black vinyl roof:)

Last edited:
Wooo .. clever idea for the Fashion theme. Interesting lighting, suits the image.

Hi Allen,

Geometric .... That's really nice and I like the striking old against the new. Myriad of lines there all taking you down to the chimney, I think as said above the B&W brings a sort of balance to the shot. Chimney make a great anchor! Nice shot.

Fashion .... Oh! My beloved ME! I always regretted selling this when I went Digital, lovely camera! Also had a Super in black. Both great cameras the ME and the Trip ( so I believe ). Yes regarding the photo fair few reflections creeping in in front of the cameras Allan, but I think the B&W conversion and the vignette works well here. I was wondering if the cameras weren't a set a little too far back in the frame as the vignette has darkened the top of the cameras, thinking about it I think I'd just ease the vignette a little. Bit of judicial cloning for the reflections and your away(y)
Vinyl was certainly the fashion my Capri 2.0 Ghia had a black vinyl roof:)

Thanks for looking in, its a MG by the way and the vinyl I was thing about was the LP variety but I am sure you are just pulling my leg here :) My dad also had a Capri in the mid 70's a bright orange one with black vinyl roof much to my Mothers horror

Wooo .. clever idea for the Fashion theme. Interesting lighting, suits the image.

Thanks d00d, interesting lighting is one way of describing it :ROFLMAO:

Hi, I rather like the heavy vignette and nice cameras. I have the ME version.

I'd prefer just the one and perhaps on a nice black surface for a reflection.

Cheers.

Hi Allan, I like the idea for the theme but it lacks a bit of ooomph for me ....sorry :( but your shots usually really catch my eye. Shame you didn't have the bright orange Capri with the black vinyl roof, now that would stand out :)

Thats ok Susie I feel the same way about it, can't be inspired by the theme so it is really just a shot which keeps me up to date

Hi, I rather like the heavy vignette and nice cameras. I have the ME version.

I'd prefer just the one and perhaps on a nice black surface for a reflection.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy I did think about a nice reflective surface but can't muster up the enthusiasm for the theme,
I have an ME too though after running a film through it i think it needs new light seals

Thanks for looking in, its a MG by the way and the vinyl I was thing about was the LP variety but I am sure you are just pulling my leg here :) My dad also had a Capri in the mid 70's a bright orange one with black vinyl roof much to my Mothers horror
Dam, showing my age again here then:rolleyes:. Ah now I have my glasses on and I'm looking on a proper screen I can see its an MG ooppss! both great cameras though! Good for you still using film Allen(y)

I don't get why you sound so uninspired, I really like it. The B&W really suits the subject and the subject suits the theme a treat. Maybe 3 would have looked even better (one on its side IYSWIM). Cheer up, it's nearly Friday! :D

Yeah, agree with Brian, I like it too. Wish I was proficient enough to attempt film photography. The b&w treatment is very appropriate and the vignette draws the eye in. Like it.

Whoa! Great image, lovely detail. If that look says chilled I'd hate to see her riled. (Gulp!)

that is a great image, love the way she pops out from the background. I would have been very pleased to have captured that. :)

Hi Allan,
Just catching up!
Fashion: Nice lighting and the B&W really suits these retro cameras. For me I think they would have been nice against a white background. The vignette work well too.
Chilled: WOW! Brillant focus, great background separation, lovely colours. I think the angle you've manager to get is really interesting aswell. Those feathers look fantastic! Did you do much or any PP?

I don't get why you sound so uninspired, I really like it. The B&W really suits the subject and the subject suits the theme a treat. Maybe 3 would have looked even better (one on its side IYSWIM). Cheer up, it's nearly Friday! :D

Thanks for the encouraging words Brian

Yeah, agree with Brian, I like it too. Wish I was proficient enough to attempt film photography. The b&w treatment is very appropriate and the vignette draws the eye in. Like it.

there are lots of cheap 35mm cameras out there give it a go

that is a great image, love the way she pops out from the background. I would have been very pleased to have captured that. :)

Thank you

Hi Allan,
Just catching up!
Fashion: Nice lighting and the B&W really suits these retro cameras. For me I think they would have been nice against a white background. The vignette work well too.
Chilled: WOW! Brillant focus, great background separation, lovely colours. I think the angle you've manager to get is really interesting aswell. Those feathers look fantastic! Did you do much or any PP?

Not a lot of PP at all highlights shadows and contrast and a very slight crop

Love it Allan ...wonderful detail in there ...excellent against the plain green background ....he looks one cool bird :)

He is a she Susie her name is Grace, thanks for looking in

Wow! The detail in chilled is outstanding. Nice shot

Thank you

Back