weekly Andrew Benbow's TP52 Thread Week 4 "Over"

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
"Your Area" is near bridge 94 on the Trent and Mersey canal. Taken this evening in between rain showers.

6b0a72ec5570febc8e4e35ddebf7c97538c760f2.jpg

Damn, you gave the game away, I felt I had tracked down the bridge to Hospital Bridge (alternatively known as Workhouse Bridge?) on the Trent and Mersey canal.
Liking the use of the long exposure and mono processing here. It works to give it a gritty urban environmental feel.

Thank you for the very kind comments everyone, it can only go downhill from here ;)

Damn, you gave the game away, I felt I had tracked down the bridge to Hospital Bridge (alternatively known as Workhouse Bridge?) on the Trent and Mersey canal.
Liking the use of the long exposure and mono processing here. It works to give it a gritty urban environmental feel.

It is the former Workhouse bridge, that workhouse is now very expensive apartments!

Great start to your challenge, Andrew. A really nice black and white image and you've managed to render the highlight and shadow perfectly. Just a tiny bit of artefacts along the top of the bridge.

Agree about the artifacts, there was a lot of light on the other side of the bridge, from the moon and also a pub and car park as well as street lighting on that stretch of the canal which is all reflecting on the wet brick but it does look like I've added a bit too much clarity. #mustTryHarder

I agree very nice, has a certain feel to it, bit of haloing on the bridge but it doesn't really distract, the sky is superb :clap:

I like the interest both above and below the bridge. A picture you can spend ages looking at, so for me, definately a successful 1st for your 2018 52. Happy New Year!!

"Cracking" shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Well that’s setting the bar high on the first week isn’t it mate! Nice

Thank you for all the comments and pointers, I definitely need to watch my processing.

When I saw the weather and the moon I knew exactly where I wanted to go and how I wanted to process it (obviously I hadn't exactly planned the haloing ;) )

My goal for this challenge is not to take anything just to get the week out of the way, considered photographs rather than a quick snap shot.

Really dramatic in mono, nice shot!

Thank you!

Well that’s setting the bar high on the first week isn’t it mate! Nice

Yeah, it's all down hill from here ;)

I like the interest both above and below the bridge. A picture you can spend ages looking at, so for me, definately a successful 1st for your 2018 52. Happy New Year!!

Thank you Gil! Happy New Year to you too!

"Cracking" shot Sir, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Thank you George!

I agree very nice, has a certain feel to it, bit of haloing on the bridge but it doesn't really distract, the sky is superb :clap:

Thank Allan! Not sure I can take too much credit for the sky, that one is all Mother Nature, I just plonked a camera in front of it ;)

Very Dark and forbidding, great shot.

Thank you :)

Hi Andrew good luck with your 52 :)

Wow that’s a really fabulous start, I just love this one, what a great composition, really looking forward to seeing more.

You too Susie! And thank you :)

Brilliant. Really like this.

Thanks Ross! So do I, the more I look at it the more I like it, seriously considering having it printed.

What a great start to your 52 Andrew, really do like the shot. Dark moody sky and dark bridge also like the stairs leading down plus it goes bang on in mono (y)

Thanks Dave! The weather was perfect for dark and moody!

Great start Andrew, love the detail under the bridge!

Wow what a great image to open your 52 challange with such a dark and moody image. Lovely deatil and reflections under the bridge and I really like the grain in the sky it gives it a film feel.

Hi Andrew and welcome.

This is super stuff, really caught my eye ... blurred sky, blurred water and lots more in between. Creative compo I'm still reading into. :clap:

Last edited:
Great set of images Andrew, the first and third photos really suit a mono presentation. Love the detail in the 2nd shot.

Great set of images Andrew, the first and third photos really suit a mono presentation. Love the detail in the 2nd shot.

Thank you! The second was actually B&W as well but I changed the opacity of the B&W layer to allow some of the colour through. I think next week I need to challenge myself to actually leave the photo in colour :p

"Excellent" work Sir, with some fine mono PP work.(y)

George.

Nice set of contrasty images first two work well for the theme I suppose the first works best for the theme as there is more of the gate but I do like the textures in the second one

As others have said, a really good set of images.
Nice framing for the image you chose for the main thread, but I think I prefer (just) #2. The close up on the textures and general worn state of the gate make it stand out for me.
(y)

Good photos, really like the first bit it is more canal and bridge than gate so I think #3 just edges it for me for this theme.

Great set for the first week, I definitely prefer the first one though!

Gate(d) - a great set of images, but the second image for me because it's a great close up of part of the gate and the range of colours and textures work nicely in this image.

Nice set of contrasty images first two work well for the theme I suppose the first works best for the theme as there is more of the gate but I do like the textures in the second one

What a great set for the theme Andrew, of the set my pic is #2 the close up as you caught it bang on with good colours and texture and you can tell it`s part of the gate (y)(y)

As others have said, a really good set of images.
Nice framing for the image you chose for the main thread, but I think I prefer (just) #2. The close up on the textures and general worn state of the gate make it stand out for me.
(y)

Good photos, really like the first bit it is more canal and bridge than gate so I think #3 just edges it for me for this theme.

Great set for the first week, I definitely prefer the first one though!

So basically, everyone likes a different image :p

Thank you for the kind comments. The composition for 1 is not quite what I wanted, there was just too much going on on the left that I didn't want in the image. 2 and 3 are probably more inline with the theme I suppose, but I do like the framing of the lock with the bridge and I'm a sucker for canals and locks etc :)

Hi Andrew

I like the 2nd image, looks B&W but isn't. I think you picked the correct image for your 52.
I was going to do lock gates, we have a few near me, but not as good looking as yours.

Pete

#2 for me .... the close up detail, texture & subtle colour is just great. (y)

As a standalone image it's Gate enough to pass the theme test.

Great set of photos for gate. I think they can stand as a series, but if I had to pick one it would be #3: great DoF and great focus on a mysterious part of machinery

Some nice gate type shots, it looks like you got as caught up in the locks as I did....I think the details in any lock are really interesting, and you have shown that in all yuor shots....

Back