weekly Blondie606 52 2015...Wk 17 Heat

All 3 ... clever stuff. But I do like the first one ... the way both forks blend into the BG

Hi Lynne,

You've come up with 3 very inventive shots for experiment :clap:

I like number 1 best, I love the simple lines and that black background :)

Experiment.

Number 2 for me every time.

I like number one, but really want to see the whole of the forks, instead of them disappearing into black.

wow what an excellent sound shot, brave too - I hate broken glass :(

experiment, hmm not sure because I don't see where it fits the theme (the forks I mean) but they are great shots, I like the first egg one best :clap:

Your elegant reshoot hits the spot. The simplicity of the composition, the black background and the curves of the bloom work beautifully together. Really nice colours too. Wouldn't change a thing.
Sound is... well, sound. It looks like you really had to work for it. The result is great considering, should you do a reshoot, may I recommend Tesco wine glasses, as you could break one with a glance. I'd have maybe hidden the wires, as they're not really neccessary, but that's minor stuff. The blur gives it a really dynamic feel.

I love the minimalist feel of the first experiment shot, almost abstract. I really like the symmetry of the first egg shot too.

Sound is a great interpretation of the theme and such a lot of work too! Respect :notworthy::notworthy:

Experiment - Woody made me LOL :LOL: but your first choice is my first choice too. Brilliantly executed :clap::clap:

Three strong images there Lynne. My initial feeling was that the 1st one was the best, but spending a bit of time reviewing them all, I think I like #2 best. it tells more of a "story" than #1 (and less than #3) but is more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Far more "arty" than #3.

Technically they're all well lit, sharp and well composed. Thought has gone into all three shots and it shows.

Thanks Ian......I quite like the spoon shot as well but it's one that's been "done to death" , #2 was just trying something different , mainly to see what folk think as I really didn't "get" the whole" use cutlery as art nude type " thing....#3 was just some fun , Woody has been feeling left out ;)

Hi Lynne, three very well executed shots. I'm trying to work out how you managed to achieved a totally black bg and a well lit subject in 1. Woody sure has a good sense of balance.

Cheers Stan....the bg was surprisingly easy..shooting from above,quite close on a black sheet of card ,stopped down the ev, used a reflector to put some light on the forks .The sooc shot was fairy decent , just a few lighter patches in between the forks which I sorted in pp...:) & as for Woody....that shot was a nightmare :banghead:

Hi Lynne ... Trying to catch up with some comments after a couple of busy weeks (got the builders in, poorly pony and other stuff ...) ...

Love the Elegant reshoot. Great detail in the petals and lovely colouring.

Sound really works for me too ... Trying to imagine you lobbing stones at glasses to get the shot just right, but works very well.

The Eggsperiment shot is brilliant. Great composition and texture on the shell.

Lovely stuff as usual. Looking forward to more to come. :)

Cheers Sara...hope Pony is feeling better now :hug:

Hi Lynne, first fork shot works for me I like the light on them just highlighting the edges while the rest fades into the black :clap:

Thanks Allan.....glad someone likes them....I'm still not sure personally :oops: :$

Hi Lynne, I have a sneaking suspicion that my experiment shot my include an egg ;)
I really like the first shot. So simple yet I expect quite hard to get right.

Sound - again, fantastic and on subject.

How do you get the perfect black backgrounds?

Hi Tim

I try to shield the object I'm shoot from as much light as possible by using large sheets of black card ,I use matrix or spot metering then use exposure compensation in live view till I get it about right . Finish it off in pp by increasing the blacks if needed.. :)

Commenting catch up time;

Reshoot Elegant: Lovely bright colours and my hands have been all around the screen, I've visualised it in portrait mode because of their long stems, then I put it into a square frame. But do you know what it is a fantastic as it is.

Sound: What a brilliant interpretation of the theme and as others have said dedication to get the shot. I appear to have the opposite problem to you I can only get my flash to work on camera :D:D. Sure the manual will tell me how somewhere:eek:

Experiment: it has to be between woody and egg spearmint for me. Eggsperiment is showing some great detail on the egg itself and the side of the forks. (just beats woody to the post)

Cheers Mandy......I struggle with written instructions, much better for me to watch a video or have someone show me as it sinks in better:rolleyes:

3 super shots for Experiment Lynne as always.
#1 pick of the 3 for me the detail into blackness works brilliantly

Thanks Simon :)

All 3 ... clever stuff. But I do like the first one ... the way both forks blend into the BG

Cheers David :)

Hi Lynne,

You've come up with 3 very inventive shots for experiment :clap:

I like number 1 best, I love the simple lines and that black background :)

Thanks Lorraine.....#1 is being better received than I expected ,might have to try some more in this style :)

Experiment.

Number 2 for me every time.

I like number one, but really want to see the whole of the forks, instead of them disappearing into black.

Thanks Viv ....think the cutlery shot is fairly close to the magazine one so that's a plus but I see what you mean :)

Woody for me. Good lighting and clean BG. Not seem my Woody for a while...Isabelle's probably trashed it :)

Cheers.

Cheers Andy.....do I need to report you the RSPCW:LOL:

wow what an excellent sound shot, brave too - I hate broken glass :(

experiment, hmm not sure because I don't see where it fits the theme (the forks I mean) but they are great shots, I like the first egg one best :clap:

Thanks Summer.......#1 was literally an Experiment in trying to recreate a magazine suggestion for a desktop shot....fine rt nude using cutlery.....sounded strange to me as well :D

Your elegant reshoot hits the spot. The simplicity of the composition, the black background and the curves of the bloom work beautifully together. Really nice colours too. Wouldn't change a thing.
Sound is... well, sound. It looks like you really had to work for it. The result is great considering, should you do a reshoot, may I recommend Tesco wine glasses, as you could break one with a glance. I'd have maybe hidden the wires, as they're not really neccessary, but that's minor stuff. The blur gives it a really dynamic feel.

I love the minimalist feel of the first experiment shot, almost abstract. I really like the symmetry of the first egg shot too.

Cheers Nick...I'll try Tesco glasses next time(y)

Sound is a great interpretation of the theme and such a lot of work too! Respect :notworthy::notworthy:

Experiment - Woody made me LOL :LOL: but your first choice is my first choice too. Brilliantly executed :clap::clap:

Thanks Jill :)

I agree .. three wonderful shots this week. Nothing more to say, just dead jealous!!!

Cheers Bob :)

Wk 17 & Heat.......

bloomin typical , sun's been shining all week right up to the point that the theme was drawn..... & it hasn't stopped raining since !

This was another experiment for me , didn't go as I wanted but salvaged 3 shots & blended them to create the finished article...........& all without setting fire to the conservatory ,just :eek:

Chilli Heat

Wk 17 Heat by Blondie606 Photography, on Flickr

My crit....

I couldn't get the flames to burn as I wanted so had to blend a 3 shots....the flames seem to hover a smidge above the pepper but that's how they looked in reality

Not sure about the couple of highlights on the chilli

Not sure about the small reflections from the flames but they do help to stop that "floating" feeling

Last edited:
Heat.....Really liking it Lynne :)
I wouldn't worry about the flames in any way, nor their reflections....they work very well.
Using the fork was a brilliant idea.

oooh I do like this Lynne, the flames are great and I think the small reflections work well :clap:

really like this, the flames look just right although I think I would have cloned out the reflections, I don't mind floating :)

Excellent ... although I think I would have cloned out the reflections too.

Love the hot chilli idea. The thing I'm liking about this challenge is the way people interpret the themes in their own way. This is a great interpretation as ever. Nice work.

Hi Lynne, more chillies I see why you left the reflections of the flame but don't think they are needed, nice sharp chilli and a great red colour

3 cracking images there Lynne !!!

Tough to choose a fav, good to see woody make it out of his box again, well posed too, first shot I'm liking the minimal look and the use of highlighted metal against black, but for me the middle image with the intertwined forks and the egg is the one, really like the speckled egg, great lighting too - I would be happy with any of them, well done missis (y)

Inspired thinking as usual for Heat Lynne and I too am in favour of cloning out the reflections as they are drawing my eyes away from the main subject.

Nice composite there.

As Ruth said, I don't mind the flames. The often tend to hover over things anyway. I'm not sure about the fork, though, but I can see how removing it would make the chilli look like it's floating.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne
Yeah it's EGGxperiment for me :)! Can't even see the blue tac :D Very clean simple image something quite appealing about it, great speckled texture in the egg. Works for me! Nice set there(y)

Hot ... That's certainly hot! Great idea, love the little highlights of the flames underneath the forks, which also emphasises the fact they are actual flames on the chilli not applied in PP. I think the highlights on the chilli are fine, as it shows the slight glossiness of the skin else it would be to anaesthetic and wouldn't match the light running along the profile of the fork.
Nice shot!
Sort of shot I'd take using a gallon of petrol:eek: Not that I'd over cook it or anything :rolleyes:

Lynne, That's a fantastic composite for heat. Chilles seem to have been a favourite, but combining them with fire is spot on.
I (to) disagree with the comment about removing the reflection, I think it helps make it more real.

A really pleasing image and spot on for the theme (y) I think the highlights on the chilli help give it a 3D appearance and stop it looking too flat, but I'm a bit undecided about the reflections beneath the fork o_O

Thanks for taking the time to get completely up to date with my mega catch-up, Lynne, it is really appreciated. I wasn't going to start going around the threads until I was completely caught up but I thought I should return the compliment :)

I remember seeing your Pattern images at the start of the year and thinking how well they worked and it was nice to see them again - bang on theme and really well executed. I like the dramatic angle and bold colours in the second of your Bliss photos, and the first rose for Fragile (great idea for the theme) is my favourite due to the stronger colours.

Scenic - we chose the same type of image and the same city! I love the bold colours, reflections and lines in your image of Media City and it certainly is scenic. We were staying there two weeks ago and I took some night photos, but haven't done anything with them yet. I hope they turn out as well as yours.

Bold is FAB - a really good idea and so well executed, and Relax is a great little tableau; I would have no idea how to start with something like that so I am in awe :)

Vertical is another coincidence, in that we were at the NMA two weeks ago (and again, I haven't done anything with the photos yet). Your composition works really well, with the eye being drawn immediately by the bold red of the poppy and then being led to the poles of the memorial. It's a strong and sympathetic image.

I like both shots for Mouth but the first one seems to fit the theme best and it's a good capture with those little beads of condensation on the glass, Crowd is really excellent, well thought out and processed, a real wall-hanger, while Close Up is so striking with those contrasting colours and suits the square crop very well.

Machine is cleverly thought up and processed. It's a technique I've been wanting to try on my brother's shiny black Jag but we haven't got around to it yet. Seeing this, I'm going to nag him again!

Alphabet is bang on theme again, and a bright, crisp image with the lighting well controlled, while your reshoot for Elegant has beautiful rich colour, is well composed and processed and definitely fits the theme.

Sound - wow, how clever is that?! It clearly took a lot of planning and expertise to set it up and get the image you were after, and the result is well worth it. I like all three images for Experiment but I think Eggsperiment is just my favourite because of the shapes, the lighting and the way it holds my interest. Nice work.

Finally, Heat works really well and is really well lit again. It's interesting to read your thoughts and those of the others who have commented about the reflections and the flames, but I think it works very well as it is and you should be pleased with it.

I'm looking forward to following your thread :)

Back