Brian of Bozeats '26 from '52 - 2015 week 52: Christmas

Week 42 : Shimmer.

Shot for the theme in Bedford Park on Saturday morning with Bobby.

Jpeg600.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Hi Brian,
This is a difficult theme isn't it... I feel this is similar to my attempts, I know what you're trying to do, but somehow it misses.
I think we're trying to be too clever, and a nightlight floating in a bath would be a much easier solution.

Thanks Tim, TBH It's more of a fill in shot this week from me as I had Bobby's help for a couple of hours and shot lots of "proper" portrait photos.

I should have just posted one of the portraits and claimed a Joker but I haven't finished processing them and I won't publish them until Bobby gets his copies to approve.

Excuses excuses... :rolleyes:

Hi Brian, well it has water and there is a definite shimmer so for a filler it sort of on theme

you say bobby like we should know :thinking:

It may not be the primary point of interest but a definite shimmer in the water. A nice image of peace & tranquility.

Hi Brian, well it has water and there is a definite shimmer so for a filler it sort of on theme

you say bobby like we should know :thinking:

Many thanks, Don't you read the discussion thread? Bobby is a local professional model, we collaborated (time for prints) so in a way I got paid to shoot him! I am duty bound to credit him each time I use any of the photos.

A quiet and tranquil scene with shimming water reflection. Spot on theme.

Hi Brian ....as already mentioned, a tranquil reflective scene, there is definitely a shimmer, perhaps not quite enough for the topic, but still a super shot.

Thanks both. On reflection (see what I did there!) I might have focussed on the shimmering fountain rather than the figure on the bench "admiring" the fountain... :thinking: I'm pretty sure that I will re-shoot this theme at some point.

I like this, or the idea of it. Nice pose & composition, but I'd like to see either Bobby or the BG water feature in sharper focus.

Week 43: Elements

Being "one of those weeks" I thought I'd just get myself over the hurdle and move on! I feel that this is more about me being a smartypants than anything of any photographic significance. I hate doing an image like this, I suppose the '52 is in the challenge section for a reason...

Anyway... Please can you tell me what you think of the white balance and colours please? I bought a colour checker and made a custom profile plus I used some white grey black cards for the first time.

Oh, and just for fun, Extra points for spotting the link to the theme!

Jpeg600.jpg

Hi Brian. As a fully-paid up member of the crowbar club, I instantly recognise and support the work of a fellow enthusiast. Forty three is the missing link. The white of the scorecard looks fine but the colours of the board seem a little muted to me ... maybe a little more vibrancy !?!?

Hi Brian. As a fully-paid up member of the crowbar club, I instantly recognise and support the work of a fellow enthusiast. Forty three is the missing link. The white of the scorecard looks fine but the colours of the board seem a little muted to me ... maybe a little more vibrancy !?!?

Thank you, the colours are influenced by the profile which (in theory) should be perfect, but I did "fiddle " with them as I wasn't happy, I need to practice on the profile thing I think.

Nice try on the connection but that would have been a little obvious... keep looking! :sneaky:

Thank you, the colours are influenced by the profile which (in theory) should be perfect, but I did "fiddle " with them as I wasn't happy, I need to practice on the profile thing I think. Nice try on the connection but that would have been a little obvious... keep looking! :sneaky:
I suppose it's difficult as everyone's screen colours are different. Link is the 4 symbols in the rack maybe?

Oh, and just for fun, Extra points for spotting the link to the theme!
:wave:
:D

The colours on the board and WB do seem a little out to me TBH.
As to the answer on that I don't know as I don't bother profiling things, however I did have a little play in ACR,
and it looks more natural, but without knowing exactly what colour the wall paper or the persons top is,
it was a bit of a guess, obviously I won't post it as to are a "no" for editing.

Last edited:
:wave:
:D

The colours on the board and WB do seem a little out to me TBH.
As to the answer on that I don't know as I don't bother profiling things, however I did have a little play in ACR,
and it looks more natural, but without knowing exactly what colour the wall paper or the persons top is,
it was a bit of a guess, obviously I won't post it as to are a "no" for editing.

Thanks, there is mixed lighting in the scene so it's always going to be subjective (hence my question). I was more interested as to what people thought rather than looking for a solution, next time I try it I will do it properly under controlled conditions and use that as my reference/basis under mixed light. The paper is white of course.

Did you "get" the reference to the theme at all?

No, sorry. Diamond is not a element it is made of carbon, even then, carbon is only one element and the theme is elements...

Shall I tell?

Shall I tell?

Yes I think you'd better. :thinking: I spotted the crowbar word minus the W straight away but it's something more than that.

Re the WB and colours ... it may be technically right, but I find it a bit bright and lacking colour.

Last edited:
Yes I think you'd better. :thinking: I spotted the crowbar word minus the W straight away but it's something more than that.

Re the WB and colours ... it may be technically right, but I find it a bit bright and lacking colour.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

You are getting warmer!

Hi Brian, not sure what you are trying to achieve with the colour checker and profile mainly because I have no idea what those things are :thinking:

anyway the colour sort of looks right the score paper looks white, but there is a lot of brown and green in there so maybe not the best image to check with.

as for the theme has it something to do with the choice of letters and the way they are spaced on the rack :thinking:

Morning Brian, just popping my head in. :)

As the others, colour looks fine to me, possible a tad muted, but that may well be more accurate and its a side effect of everything else being over done in an effort to get that pop.

As far as the crowbar goes, not at all.... I can see 4 elements in there.
chromium being the first?

Composition is good too, well set up. (y)

Morning Brian, just popping my head in. :)

As the others, colour looks fine to me, possible a tad muted, but that may well be more accurate and its a side effect of everything else being over done in an effort to get that pop.

As far as the crowbar goes, not at all.... I can see 4 elements in there.

Composition is good too, well set up. (y)

Thanks Graham, good to "see" you here. Thanks for commenting, I'm on a bit of a learning curve with the colour profiles - I need to go back to basics and start again I think as I've gotten a bit lost :confused: - your feedback has helped.

:clap: and of course you are correct. (y)

Last edited:
Hi Brian ..I was lost on the guessing but now I've read Grahams spoiler I get it ....obvious wasn't it o_O and a very original take on the the theme :clap:

Re colour ..I think it looks a bit lacking but I'll look at it on my ipad I always think that gives a better image.

Thanks Susie, all good fun!

To be fair @Carl Ayling got it early on but didn't make it obvious and as no-one noticed I was able to carry on the fun.

Hi Brian

Inverse - Really like this, super PP work mate, very envious of your efforts here !!!

Shimmer - Nicely setup and composed pic, but feel the water is playing second fiddle to the chap in the shot, I'd prefer him thrown out of focus and my eyes drawn to the water :)

Elements - Ha Haaaaa you can't beat a good ole scrabble crowbar shot :D

Hi Brian

Inverse - Really like this, super PP work mate, very envious of your efforts here !!!

Shimmer - Nicely setup and composed pic, but feel the water is playing second fiddle to the chap in the shot, I'd prefer him thrown out of focus and my eyes drawn to the water :)

Elements - Ha Haaaaa you can't beat a good ole scrabble crowbar shot :D

Hello and welcome to TP. Thank you for popping in! :p

Blimey, I'm so far behind on comments, my humble apologies Sir.

Noise - great idea and fab lighting. I've been caught in that pose more than once :naughty:

Envy - Nice moody shot for a b*gger of a theme. Having just watched Avengers - Age of Ultron I can see the resemblance hehehehe :exit:

Shimmer - a very tranquil picture, sitting there, reflecting on life with a shimmering waterfall producing soothing noise (y)

Elements - Can't comment on the lighting as I'm pretty useless at it. Like the double meaning on the tile rack. Got it straight away but then had to learn all the elements at school as I took Chemistry. very clever idea for another b*gger of a theme :clap:

Blimey, I'm so far behind on comments, my humble apologies Sir.

Noise - great idea and fab lighting. I've been caught in that pose more than once :naughty:

Envy - Nice moody shot for a b*gger of a theme. Having just watched Avengers - Age of Ultron I can see the resemblance hehehehe :exit:

Shimmer - a very tranquil picture, sitting there, reflecting on life with a shimmering waterfall producing soothing noise (y)

Elements - Can't comment on the lighting as I'm pretty useless at it. Like the double meaning on the tile rack. Got it straight away but then had to learn all the elements at school as I took Chemistry. very clever idea for another b*gger of a theme :clap:

Thank you.

Sneaking up the stairs after a hedonistic party? I bet you have too!

Regarding the avengers, I actually do hold the rank of IronMan (in the triathlon sense) but that was a while ago now... I'm getting more like the incredible bulk every day, must be an age thing as I still run & ride a bit. Clearly not enough :oops: :$

Thank you for the clapping, it took a long time to come up with something I was willing to submit for the theme. :)

Back