weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill, sorry I've not been here for a while. I love the contrasting bright colours in your Fashion shot and including the price tag really does emphasise the "disposable" element of your title. I think I would have gone for a slightly different angle with the top of the rail leading in from the top left corner, but that's just personal taste. Chilled is a great shot. I too thought it was buttocks, but can see it now. Great composition and use of b/w.

Hey Jill :)

Geometric - Oh MY !!! now that does make you want to stare, nice simple shot works well for the theme :)

Fashion - On the cheap, looks like Great Yarmouth !!! not keen on this one, too cluttered for me, although spot on theme wise :)

Chilled - Now this one again does make me keep staring... and Mrs DK too :thinking:

But I must say, foul wasn't the first thing to spring to my mind !!! what a cracking image, nicely lit, very intriguing all round, really like this :clap:

Hi Jill, sorry I've not been here for a while. I love the contrasting bright colours in your Fashion shot and including the price tag really does emphasise the "disposable" element of your title. I think I would have gone for a slightly different angle with the top of the rail leading in from the top left corner, but that's just personal taste. Chilled is a great shot. I too thought it was buttocks, but can see it now. Great composition and use of b/w.

Hi Elaine, nice to see you here :wave: I know what you mean about the Fashion shot but there was another stall jammed next to it and that was the best I could get ;). Glad you like the 'buttock' shot. believe me, mine are not that pert :D

Hey Jill :)

Geometric - Oh MY !!! now that does make you want to stare, nice simple shot works well for the theme :)

Fashion - On the cheap, looks like Great Yarmouth !!! not keen on this one, too cluttered for me, although spot on theme wise :)

Chilled - Now this one again does make me keep staring... and Mrs DK too :thinking:

But I must say, foul wasn't the first thing to spring to my mind !!! what a cracking image, nicely lit, very intriguing all round, really like this :clap:

Hi DK, nice to see you here :wave: 2 out of 3 ain't bad :D and glad my intention behind Chilled has come off. Just to get 1 pic that intrigues and keeps people looking out of the 52 is fab, but to have done it a couple of times is a bonus :banana::banana: So :ty:

Ok, a bit of a catchup from me. First is my Medical shot (umpty ump weeks late :nailbiting:), second my Reshoot of Geometric. I know my first one was OK but this is something I've wanted to try since we moved. There is a great park only 10 minutes walk from us and we go there most days. The shot was a challenge as the flipping birds won't keep still or come too close and they are always bobbing their heads and you've got to wait until they come into the sunlight to get the best shot. I used a lot of bird food, with my able assistant (MrB :D) trying to entice them closer to me and into the light. This was a double-edged sword however as they then bobbed up and down to peck at the seed :arghh::arghh:.

Third is Special, and he is....... I mean, he let me photograph him doing the ironing :ROFLMAO:. He is the love of my life and Special doesn't really come close to describing him. I was diagnosed with MS just months before we married and it hasn't made the slightest difference to him in the last 24 years. And he's my third so I do know what I'm talking about :p

Hi, Jill, great catch up.

Medicine, yup, ticks the boxes. A little under exposed on my iPad and I'd like a closer crop, but works for me.

Geometry, I'm always astounded with geometry in nature and you've done well here. Nice colours and detail

Special, he's a handsome chap with a great smile. He looks very content with life.

Cheers.

Hi Jill, three super shots there for your catch up, I like them all ....
Super black background for Medicine I really like the simple composition of that one.
Geometric ...fabulous detail in the bird shot, I think you did amazingly well to capture that one.
Your hubby looks lovely he has a very kind face, it is very Special indeed to find someone like him.

Hi, Jill, great catch up.

Medicine, yup, ticks the boxes. A little under exposed on my iPad and I'd like a closer crop, but works for me.

Geometry, I'm always astounded with geometry in nature and you've done well here. Nice colours and detail

Special, he's a handsome chap with a great smile. He looks very content with life.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

Hi Jill, three super shots there for your catch up, I like them all ....
Super black background for Medicine I really like the simple composition of that one.
Geometric ...fabulous detail in the bird shot, I think you did amazingly well to capture that one.
Your hubby looks lovely he has a very kind face, it is very Special indeed to find someone like him.

Hi Susie, thanks for the lovely comments :D

Hi Jill, despair is superb great sense of isolation, can't add any crit as there is nothing to crit
I don't think that will be beaten this week it just says it all :clap::clap::clap:

Well done for catching up Jill, some excellent shots you've taken.

Medical; I like the main subject in suspension and the clean bg. I presume they are just sugar?

Geometric; beautiful patterns and colours

Special; very apt and yes we all have someone special

Despair; marvellous image and spot on. B&W suits perfectly for the theme.

Isn't it funny how we go for corners when we feel low?

My wife is also a long term MS sufferer, so I "get" where you're coming from.

It must have been tough to put yourself into this frame of mind on purpose, for what it's worth, you nailed it this week.

Hi Jill

Medical ... I love the apparent simplicity of this. Does it say "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"?

Geometric ... Nice ... would like to see the whole bird. Your image with that processing (?) would make nice cushion covers or something.

Special ... I'm sure he is.

Despair ... OMG... I hope it never gets quite that bad. It's just such a powerful depiction. Full marks.

Last edited:
Hi Jill, despair is superb great sense of isolation, can't add any crit as there is nothing to crit
I don't think that will be beaten this week it just says it all :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks so much Allan, that sense of isolation was exactly what I was trying to achieve with only the use of my upstairs landing. :woot:

Hey Jill.
I don't think there is anything I can add to Allan's comments. If there were a prize for picture of the year in TP52 for 2015, I think this would have to win it.
Tim

Wow, Tim, thanks so much :banana:

I agree with Allan and Tim, a superb shot for the topic Jill. A very difficult one to portray but you've really captured the true sense of the word there.

Blimey, such lovely comments, thanks Susie :ty:

Well done for catching up Jill, some excellent shots you've taken.

Medical; I like the main subject in suspension and the clean bg. I presume they are just sugar?

Geometric; beautiful patterns and colours

Special; very apt and yes we all have someone special

Despair; marvellous image and spot on. B&W suits perfectly for the theme.

Thanks so much Stan. Yup, it's a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. Peacocks have so many different kinds of feathers, they are just amazing colours and need hardly any PP.

Isn't it funny how we go for corners when we feel low?

My wife is also a long term MS sufferer, so I "get" where you're coming from.

It must have been tough to put yourself into this frame of mind on purpose, for what it's worth, you nailed it this week.

Hi Brian, yes, I think it's the closest we can get to going into our cave and I couldn't fit under the bed ;)

So pleased with this shot as it actually turned out the way I saw it in my head.

Hi Jill

Medical ... I love the apparent simplicity of this. Does it say "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"?

Geometric ... Nice ... would like to see the whole bird. Your image with that processing (?) would make nice cushion covers or something.

Special ... I'm sure he is.

Despair ... OMH ... I hope it never gets quite that bad. It's just such a powerful depiction. Full marks.

Medical is spot on David, a spoonful of whisky is better though :)

Geometric had minimal processing as you can see from this which I simply then cropped. The colours are amazing when the sun shines on them.

DSC03570 copy.jpg by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

And him in all his moulting glory

DSC03567.jpg by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

Ans as for Despair, sometimes it was :( but not for many years now :)

Last edited:
Medical is spot on David, a spoonful of whisky is better though :)

Geometric had minimal processing as you can see from this which I simply then cropped. The colours are amazing when the sun shines on them.

DSC03570 copy.jpg by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

And him in all his moulting glory

DSC03567.jpg by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

Ans as for Despair, sometimes it was :( but not for many years now :)

Thanks (y):kiss:

OMG - how have I missed all these. Let's get cracking.

Medical: Spoonful of sugar - very subtle response to the theme. Nicely exposed.
Geometric Reshoot - Spot on. Funny how many geometric shapes feature in nature.
Special: Stunning portrait - colour, lighting, composition, DoF ... all excellent :clap:
Despair: Depression is a terrible illness ... so very many sufferers. Another brilliant image - composition with subject squeezed into the corner and masses of space all round, builds on that sense of despair.

Well done on the catch up Jill .

And now to Despair.
Is that dis pair of feet or dis pair of hands that are being portrayed?
Sorry ( :coat: )
Very nice and descriptive Jill,
fits nicely (y)

Despair, one of the best submissions so far for this year's 52 :clap:

There's real depth to it, technically and contextually.

Nowt I don't like about it.

Cheers.

NB now spell checked :)

Last edited:
OMG - how have I missed all these. Let's get cracking.

Medical: Spoonful of sugar - very subtle response to the theme. Nicely exposed.
Geometric Reshoot - Spot on. Funny how many geometric shapes feature in nature.
Special: Stunning portrait - colour, lighting, composition, DoF ... all excellent :clap:
Despair: Depression is a terrible illness ... so very many sufferers. Another brilliant image - composition with subject squeezed into the corner and masses of space all round, builds on that sense of despair.

Well done on the catch up Jill .

Thanks so much Carl. seem to have (temporarily) found my mojo ;) and to think I almost gave up in July because of heatwaves and moving house :p

Is that dis pair of feet or dis pair of hands that are being portrayed?
Sorry ( :coat: )
Very nice and descriptive Jill,
fits nicely (y)

Blimey, it must be a cracking picture if I get 2 'nices' from @Cobra, and I'm just treating with contempt your 'sense of humour' :naughty:

Despair, one of the best submissions so far for this year's 52 :clap:

There's real depth to it, technically and contextually.

Nowt I don't like about it.

Cheers.

NB now spell checked :)

Hi Andy, I must say the 'real death to it' made be wonder :p

Thank you so much (y)

Just noticed this is post 666 which is a little worrying as this was taken at the procession of the Virgin del Rio through the streets of the town and this is 'her' band :eek:

NOISE

Noise by Bruja Jill, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Blimey, it must be a cracking picture if I get 2 'nices' from @Cobra,
Well I remember I got berated for saying "I quite like that", once before :D

and I'm just treating with contempt your 'sense of humour' :naughty:
As always, but as long as its not me you treat with contempt, I'd be broken hearted :(
:D

My goodness... I'm ALAWAYS catching up on here :D

Medical - Seemed a bit 'floaty' to me at first, as struggling with my tablet screen, but now think I can see a slight grounding shadow, so ignore that comment :)

Really nicely lit and the background is... erm I can't tell on this damn thing :bang: but think it is nice and even :)

Geometric re-shoot - OOOooo a lovely bright image, if I hadn't scanned down multi-quoting I'd never had worked out it was feathers, really like the crop too (y)

Special - A real good portrait that, nicely lit, great eye contact, loads of detail and a super background, nice one :clap:

Despair - Oh dear, really sad to read but caught superbly, I can't crit this, the B&W conversion works sooooooo well Jill, nothing to not like or to add (y)

Thanks Tim. That's not the sky it's the wall of the church ;)

Churches in Spain are very plain on the outside, often with plain painted walls but very ornate inside.

Aaaaw, bless. I'd never break it intentionally :hug:
Going by your avatar it looks to me that you are very much a heart breaker :(

:D

Well this is my 3rd marriage :ROFLMAO:. I must admit I have probably broken a few in the past :whistle:
Lol fond of the taste wedding cake are you? :D once was enough for me, I learned my lesson first time :D

Hi Jill. Love all the reflections ... in the image I mean. It's got oomph .... as well as a touch of oompah oompah of course. ;)

I am amazed they still have brass bands walking through town not a thing I remember seeing since i was a child and the salvation army used to randomly turn up
certainly noisy though

Noise ... love the colour, focus, tight crop, the nothingness up top, then that amazing reflection. (y)

Lovely!

What an interesting shot, sharp in all the right places, superb reflections and colours, I love how you've captured his expression. I'd clone out the stains on the church wall but that's subjective of course. This would look good in a travel brochure I think. Nice one matey! (y)

Back