weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill, I'm loving that experiment with the flowers. What a shame they didn't all take. I agree with Peter that they could do with being brighter. Definitely one to think about for a reshoot!

Heat, nice and simple idea, the reds are lovely colours. But they both look a touch OOF, did you use a tripod? I have looked at your other shots on Flickr and personally I think this is better :)

Last edited:
brilliant shots, love it, lovely strong reds :) :)

Hi Jill, I'm loving that experiment with the flowers. What a shame they didn't all take. I agree with Peter that they could do with being brighter. Definitely one to think about for a reshoot!

Heat, nice and simple idea, the reds are lovely colours. But they both look a touch OOF, did you use a tripod? I have looked at your other shots on Flickr and personally I think this is better :)

Hi Marsha, for Experiment I'm going to have another go with natural food dyes so watch this space :) and you may be right about Heat 2 so I've posted another version on flickr that def seems in focus to me (or maybe I need new glasses ;)) Glad you like reds and the other flickr shot (y)

brilliant shots, love it, lovely strong reds :) :)

Thanks Summer (y)

Hi Jill I love both of those, probably the first one has the edge but they both look smashing, love the water drops and the sharp black background, a great choice for the theme. :clap:

Flickr link didn't work for me by the way :confused:

Just found you're flower shot.... I'm miles behind !! Love the one where they're all lined up in a row ...another excellent idea, and another great choice for the theme.

Last edited:
Heat...Hi Jill

Both great pictures, but I think 2 wins out for me just for the composition.
I love how there's beads of moisture on the chillies....like they themselves are sweating in the heat :)

Really good job on the last 2 weeks,

Experiment- Really cleverly done, totally "out of the box". I like the simplicity of the first one best

Heat - No 1 for me, theres a bit too much empty space on the right in the second shot for my taste.

Heat ... like both shots equally ... the water droplets are a good idea.

Love the theme ... one or two folks going with chills (never crossed my mind!!) but non-the-less a good interpretation, and especially like the water droplets countering the shiny surface against the black background.

Hey Jill :)

Experiment - Really liking the detail in the first one, but prefer the second image with the row of coloured glasses, looks like the blue one had the only desired effect... so mission accomplished, and theme also, nice one (y)

Heat - Another couple of well lit images, for me this time its the second image with the unaligned chillies, love the colours and and dark BG, the moisture & highlights add a real nice depth too :)

Hi Jill I love both of those, probably the first one has the edge but they both look smashing, love the water drops and the sharp black background, a great choice for the theme. :clap:

Flickr link didn't work for me by the way :confused:

Just found you're flower shot.... I'm miles behind !! Love the one where they're all lined up in a row ...another excellent idea, and another great choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie, glad you like them :) and the flickr link didn't work cos it wasn't a link ;) but it is now :p

Heat...Hi Jill

Both great pictures, but I think 2 wins out for me just for the composition.
I love how there's beads of moisture on the chillies....like they themselves are sweating in the heat :)

Hi Ruth, that was the effect I was hoping for so glad you 'got it' :D

Really good job on the last 2 weeks,

Experiment- Really cleverly done, totally "out of the box". I like the simplicity of the first one best

Heat - No 1 for me, theres a bit too much empty space on the right in the second shot for my taste.

Hi Chris, thanks for stopping by and so glad you like them. Getting positive feedback makes a big difference (y)

Love the theme ... one or two folks going with chills (never crossed my mind!!) but non-the-less a good interpretation, and especially like the water droplets countering the shiny surface against the black background.

Thanks Sara, wanted to give the effect that they were so hot they were sweating and it also gave a bit of depth to what could have been a very flat image (y)

Hey Jill :)

Experiment - Really liking the detail in the first one, but prefer the second image with the row of coloured glasses, looks like the blue one had the only desired effect... so mission accomplished, and theme also, nice one (y)

Heat - Another couple of well lit images, for me this time its the second image with the unaligned chillies, love the colours and and dark BG, the moisture & highlights add a real nice depth too :)

Hi Dean

Thanks for stopping by when you are so busy and glad you like the photos :)

Experiment - Cool idea, I prefer the composition of the first shot, but the exposure of the second. Both are still very good shots.
Heat: Lovely sharp shots nicely contrasting against the black background :clap:

Experiment - Cool idea, I prefer the composition of the first shot, but the exposure of the second. Both are still very good shots.
Heat: Lovely sharp shots nicely contrasting against the black background :clap:

Thanks Tim :)

I apologise in advance for the low resolution of this pic but I saw this today and it seemed perfect for the theme. It's in a hospital waiting room, (MrB was there for a gastroscopy this morning) and, even if I'd had my camera with me it would have felt too intrusive so it's another iPhone shot from me.

I did have a couple of other ideas but I haven't taken a candid for a long time (or for this challenge yet). It's also difficult to get hold of resources out here in the Spanish countryside, and the range of stuff is very limited so I have to resort to eBay or Amazon and that takes time. I'll do this theme for a reshoot when the 'stuff' arrives (@Cobra teehee :rolleyes:)

I guess the processing is going to be "Marmite" but I like it :)

FIGURES

Figures by BrujaJill, on Flickr

Last edited:
I too like it a lot ... excellent for the theme, quality street. It's got an odd sort of blotchiness but all that blur is spot on!

Paul McCartney too.

Considering all that goes on in your life Jill I'd say your doing a pretty bloody good job of this challenge, I must say the flower experiment is a very cool image and the detail in machine is epic. Figures is just the right amount of DOF and the b&w processing is great and really makes it pop!

I understand totally (from the sidelines) about your issues as my mother also has MS (since '99). I cared for her through my secondary schooling and until my dad left work to continue on in my absence when I 'went out into the world' to work and start my life. I've seen first hand the struggle and deterioration the illness brings and I can honestly say reading this and seeing what you produce is awesome. It's refreshing to see someone with such determination continuing to battle against the symptoms and work with what you have. You should submit some of your images to 'MS matters' and inspire many more sufferers to 'keep on their feet'.

Keep at it! your doing an amazing job!

I like it Jill.

Phil

Thanks Phil (y)

I like it a lot, how did you achieve the soft background?

Hi Chris and thanks for stopping by. As it was taken with my iPhone I processed it on my iPad with an app called DarkLight which has a tilt shift feature with either circular,linear or oval selections. I used the oval one to blur everything but the people as a) the background was bery boring and b) I wanted the focuts to be solely on the figures

I too like it a lot ... excellent for the theme, quality street. It's got an odd sort of blotchiness but all that blur is spot on!

Paul McCartney too.

Thanks David (y)

Considering all that goes on in your life Jill I'd say your doing a pretty bloody good job of this challenge, I must say the flower experiment is a very cool image and the detail in machine is epic. Figures is just the right amount of DOF and the b&w processing is great and really makes it pop!

I understand totally (from the sidelines) about your issues as my mother also has MS (since '99). I cared for her through my secondary schooling and until my dad left work to continue on in my absence when I 'went out into the world' to work and start my life. I've seen first hand the struggle and deterioration the illness brings and I can honestly say reading this and seeing what you produce is awesome. It's refreshing to see someone with such determination continuing to battle against the symptoms and work with what you have. You should submit some of your images to 'MS matters' and inspire many more sufferers to 'keep on their feet'.

Keep at it! your doing an amazing job!

Wow, thank you Nathan :ty:

It certainly makes life 'interesting' ;)

Hi Jill, another good shot from you, and the processing really works well, I like the oof background against the clarity of the people waiting - well done for spotting it & taking it. :clap::clap:

ps Hope Mr B is ok

Hi Jill, I prefer the composition of the second pepper shot with the diagonal, but I like the addition of the water droplets on both - makes it look like they're so hot they're sweating :clap:

Lovely shot for Figures, I really like the processing and the way the two women are sitting chatting away whilst the men are just sitting there looking worried is so typical :D

Hi Jill, I prefer the composition of the second pepper shot with the diagonal, but I like the addition of the water droplets on both - makes it look like they're so hot they're sweating :clap:

Lovely shot for Figures, I really like the processing and the way the two women are sitting chatting away whilst the men are just sitting there looking worried is so typical :D

Hi Elaine :wave: Glad you like them. Yes, the difference between the two groups is typical isn't it. But we are a lot more used to having our bits examined aren't we :D

Hi Jill, love the Figures shot, great composition and the separation of the two groups. The women having conversation and the men deep in thoughts in their own world. Like the B&W and T&S treatment too.

Cheers Stan (y)

The processing here has inspired me to talk "Tilt Shift" on another part of this site. I want to make images like that.

Hi Jill ....a really super shot for the theme, the processing really suits it, I'll have to put that app on my phone. I don't think you could have the three on the bench posing more perfectly if you'd set it up yourself :clap:

Thanks Susie, when I saw the way they were all sitting I couldn't resist :)

The processing here has inspired me to talk "Tilt Shift" on another part of this site. I want to make images like that.

OMG What have I started ;)

Hi Jill, thats a great pic the detachment of the people from the sterile BG of the hospital works well and from an iphone too just goes to show

A interesting moment caught perfectly

Hi Jill, another good shot from you, and the processing really works well, I like the oof background against the clarity of the people waiting - well done for spotting it & taking it. :clap::clap:

ps Hope Mr B is ok

Thanks Lorraine, and yes, MrB is fine :D

Hi Jill, thats a great pic the detachment of the people from the sterile BG of the hospital works well and from an iphone too just goes to show

A interesting moment caught perfectly

Cheers Allan, I appreciate it (y)

Well, there's a story behind this. I really don't like ironing and it partly stems from me having a job in the early '70s as a presser in a factory. My job was to 'press' (iron) the insides of velvet jackets destined for C&A when I lived (briefly) in Barrow-in-Furness. Needless to say I left as soon as I could find another job as it was a horrible, hot, steamy job. But I needed to work so I took what I could get. I'd left school at 15 after having being bullied unmercifully for 4 years and went straight into a hairdressing apprenticeship. It was 10 years (and a divorce) before I went to University to study Psychology and Sociology.

With husband #1 it never crossed my mind that I should ask him to do the ironing - it was the early '70s after all and 'real men' didn't do that sort of thing (or much else at home for that matter!

With husband #2 he could sort of iron but not as well as me so I did it as it was easier (more fool me :p)

With husband #3 he couldn't iron when I first met him but I taught him how when he was in the first flush of lust :ROFLMAO: and, 24 years later he's still at it (the ironing that is :whistle:) but I think the novelty has worn off :p :ROFLMAO: but too late now mwaaahahaha...

So this is what happens when there is ironing to be done in our........

HOUSEHOLD

Household
by
Bruja Jill, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Hi, very funny certainly looks like the novelty has worn off, why on earth is he ironing t-shirts surely life is to short

nice take on the theme (y) and as always a good background story

I love this shot Jill - a man ironing - what's not to like? :D, even if he does look like he'd rather be doing anything else.

Brilliant idea for the theme :clap::clap:

MMMM perhaps I better go on the lookout to replace my other half :banana::banana: Can just imagine what he'd say to me If I asked him to do the ironing.

This did make me smile. A different coloured T shirt that Mr B was ironing would have stood out from the ironing board.

Hi Jill

Figures - I like this one, for an iPhone image it works really well, has it had a tilt-shift type processing to it ??

Household - Now he looks well chuffed to be A) doing the ironing and/or B) being chosen to be photographed doing the ironing - Great fun image, like it :)

Haha, love it Jill! The expression on his face and the fact he's left his watch on say to me "I'll give you another 5 minutes before I chuck this iron at you" :D

Back