weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Agree with the others, nice to see a different take and a very interesting effect. Hope the man-flu doesn't last too long

I tried the same on Friday with very poor results so hats off for getting a good un, I thought it was flour or sugar in a funnel. Well done for making the effort whilst poorly, get well soon matey. :)

Ps:

Clearly @Cobra isn't familiar enough with cats, maybe if he was prepared to expand his horizons a little he could add a second string as it were to his gob shot collection? :D

Clearly @Cobra isn't familiar enough with cats, maybe if he was prepared to expand his horizons a little he could add a second string as it were to his gob shot collection? :D
Oh I have a few trust me ;)

Agree with the others, nice to see a different take and a very interesting effect. Hope the man-flu doesn't last too long
Thanks Chris. I'm putting on a bit of a drama ... Oscar in the offing perhaps.

A man with a cold :runaway:oh nooooooo:hug: :D
Women just don't appreciate the pain, the agony we have to put up with (sniff), (sob)

I thought it was flour or sugar in a funnel.
Thanks Brian. A little bit abstract at least.

Nice image Carl. (y)

What fun we have on the 52s eh? Where else can you find something like that? :clap:

Hi Carl
Well here's the start of the mega catch up!
Right dem pears! Like that there is something about the separation of the black background and the pears, it's really nice, must be the green that works well with the black. Nicely lit too.

Noise... Whiney chainsaws eh! Bit of a H and S nightmare by the look of it:rolleyes:. (Says he after just chopping his finger) Nice clear crisp shots No1 has a nice variety of colour in the trees and clouds.

Envy.... Cleverly put together Carl I think it's very effective. It's well lit and has spot on focus. It works well I think on many levels, nice work. PS can be a dreadful animal it can eat inordinate amounts of time:)

Inverse.... I quite like that what an interesting shot almost looks like a sea urchin. Very creative lighting which I like.

Special.... Don't put down your PS work mate it looks very acceptable to me secret is not to point out the flaws YOU know are there then you know how clever or not others are when they comment on it. For example it's obvious that you have been sucking these before you took the shot not too much though as the letters are still visible:). Well Done.

Shimmer V1 ..... like the idea I did start pratting around with something similar couldn't get it to work as someone said shimmer tends to imply some form of movement which is hard to convey in a still frame bugger yet another topic that's gonna stall my catch up:rolleyes:
I think V2 is working for me better than V1, I think No1 is a little dark I reckon if you PS some of those metallic discs though I reckon that would work better. In 2 those little wiggly highlights give it the shimmer for me(y)

Elements... Very clever, Gold, Silver, Carbon and Copper. I don't know what the 'Ell he ment, as my dear old Dad would have said! Clever thinking again mate!

Will be back to finish off the catch up tomorrow watch this space:)

Ooopppsss duplicate post!

Last edited:
What fun we have on the 52s eh? Where else can you find something like that? :clap:
Ha ha absolutely right David - great to have the freedom to push boundaries and have fun at the same time.

Well done on the picture. It's so interesting to see and definitely on theme... Hope you get well soon (y)
Thank you Nora - the water seems almost fibrous in the pic. Lots better now - virtually back to normal now thank you.

Well here's the start of the mega catch up
Thank you Steve - great to have you back. You should not put yourself under any pressure or obligation to comment you know, just ease yourself back in gently.

Week 50 - Organised

A shot of some new nails arranged in orderly ranks like coppers on parade. (Took a while to get them Organised I can tell you - very therapeutic ..... not).

Getting to the Point by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

I reckon you nailed that shot Carl ...... Very OCD;) You must just have too much time on your hands ( how do you do that just before Xmas an all?)
Lovely colour with the copper of the nails nice sharp DOF. Oh and of course tack sharp:ROFLMAO:

How does he get them flipping themes shot so fast folks?:mad: Gonna call him quick draw Carl from now on!

Reactions: LC2
Back in time too habit
Love the clock with the ZZZZzsss first thing to come to mind Alice in wonderland ..... Nice work loved it
Covered.... Excellent dusting .... My wife says I never see dust apparently ( well gets me out of doing it anyway :)) great concept again nice balance in the shot really sharp!
Connected.... Nearly all my habits rolled into one:ROFLMAO::D But Sainsburys Rum..... Really? Is that for cooking;). I really like this in fact I like both versions although. V2 is a little more subtle. I know @susiejb said it lost a little more impact but is that because of the size it was displayed rather than the actual image? I wonder.
Oregano uuummmm very PC:ROFLMAO: Think I'll give it a miss:D

Down.... Or cats arse yes that works for me @Cobra , but you could always borrow my 2 big stoppers:ROFLMAO:
Right serious now.... Nicely composed think the shutter speeds just right and it's not over cooked. I find the top of the shot a little distracting but nothing to worry about difficult too handle that well done mate!

Sorry to hear about your proper flu some people trivialise it as man flu. It's a very serious thing hope your feeling better I mean these ladies don't realise how bad it is. A doctor told me it's actually worst than childbirth! I sympathise with you mate just get it over with before Xmas hope you get out of ITU soon. Chin up btw it might have been brought on by drinking that cheap Rum and smoking Oregano!;)

Last edited:
8 across 5 down looks a tad misplaced ... but I like the nails, seen them before somewhere, (is that what they call a fetish?). (y)

Good & bright, nicely focused on the front with shallow dof. On theme too. (y)

brought on by drinking that cheap Rum and smoking Oregano!;)
Thanks Steve. Yes, a bit of a rum do ... leftovers from the wife's X'mas pud or was it the cake. Can't remember ... but I get first dibs on the leftovers . and there was a lot of rum leftover (hic).

8 across 5 down looks a tad misplaced ... but I like the nails, seen them before somewhere, (is that what they call a fetish?). (y)
Heh heh - I'm trying to wean myself off the nails David ... just started attending NA sessions. Secretly hoping for a new set for Christmas - just hope I'm not developing a fixation (sorry, sorry, sorry).

Super! Love the tone and the contrast and the shallow DOF. Really well presented, well done.

Super! Love the tone and the contrast and the shallow DOF. Really well presented, well done.

Great shot there Carl, fantastic colour, great use of DoF. Did you play dominos with them afterwards? Or are you possibly making yourself a new bed?

Thank you Brian, thanks Tim. A steady hand and oodles of time but got there in the end. It's a manually, or technically wo-manually, operated device that when strategically placed under thin matting outside the man-cave, gives subtle early warning of the wife's approach.

Last edited:
Good effort lining all those up but worth it for the end result, well done.

Good effort lining all those up but worth it for the end result, well done.
Hi Carl ....couldn't get your photo to load on the iPad at first but just got it ....woweeee what a smasher ...you must have oodles of patience, I really like like it, top notch shot for the theme :clap:
Thank you Chris and thanks Susie- only two more to go to the finish ..... before it begins all over again!

I think just all the puns have just about been made Carl so I won't hammer the point home any further :D
Cracking use of DoF in this one, loads of detail too (y)

Hi, Carl... Love the colours, love the ridges on the nails too, it brought out the character in the nail (as opposed to the plain ones) (do nails have characters, though? :thinking: )

Anyway, it's a lovely shot, but if only I can push the misplaced nails in place... Must... Resist... The temptation... :exit:

I think just all the puns have just about been made Carl so I won't hammer the point home any further :D
Cracking use of DoF in this one, loads of detail too (y)

Thank you P,HP. Maybe should have used a pinhole camera though.

Anyway, it's a lovely shot, but if only I can push the misplaced nails in place... Must... Resist... The temptation... :exit:
I'll become a dithering wreck what with David's comment
8 across 5 down looks a tad misplaced
and now yours. Ooooooops too late.:wacky:

Hi Carl, picture of your bed :thinking: well done for taking the effort to stand them all up on end, love the copper tones its come over really well (y)

Hi Carl, picture of your bed :thinking: well done for taking the effort to stand them all up on end, love the copper tones its come over really well (y)
Ha ha - yeah, could be good acupuncture therapy Allan - thank you.

Organised....setting that up would have done me in :) Like it. Nice detail and the copper colours is wonderful. Cheers.
Thanks Andy. A week before and I wouldn't have stood a scooby of setting it up what all that coughing and spluttering I was doing at the time.

:clap: Like it and very well organised. You must have the patient of a saint even to attempt trying to set up those nails. Photographic wise; nice colour and good pov too. Spot on focus and sharp. :clap:
Thank you Stan - it did take an age. Think I ended up with 100+ nails - after all that effort setting it up, I was a little hesitant about having to dismantle it but she who must be obeyed gave me words of "encouragement" to help me on ha ha.

Hi Carl
I like your Down shot. Great abstract whilst maintaining enough detail to know what it is :)
Organised is great too. That must have taken plenty of patience to do. Great colour and detail in the nails too.

I like your Down shot. Great abstract whilst maintaining enough detail to know what it is :)
Organised is great too. That must have taken plenty of patience to do. Great colour and detail in the nails too.
Thanks Lee. A couple of the nails seem to be on the skew but one thing for certain, it will not be the subject of a re-shoot ha ha.

Week 51 - Living

Thought the best way would be as a contrast, so something alive as in Polyanthus against a dead Hydrangea. (More importantly, this has started me using my off camera flash - a challenge I have set myself to learn).

Living by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Nice counterpoint there Carl, with enough of the dead Hydrangea in focus.
Flash is something that I want to experiment more with in 2016 too (outdoor fill and off camera). It'll be interesting to see how we both do.

Hi Carl, Cracking shot. Exactly the thought that was going through my mind but I couldn't find the right photo. Well done (y)
Thanks Lee. My first thought was to go to a cemetery and take a shot of a plant against a headstone maybe. Walked an hour to get to Chaldon church (1086AD), nice day and needed the exercise, only to find that the place unusually had been tidied up so no wild flowers. Aaaaaargh. Resorted to the garden when I got home.

Nice counterpoint there Carl, with enough of the dead Hydrangea in focus. Flash is something that I want to experiment more with in 2016 too (outdoor fill and off camera). It'll be interesting to see how we both do.
Oh that's great Tim - we can learn together. It's something I've wanted to do for quite a while but was overwhelmed by general camera use without having to learn flash too. Better placed now to extend myself I think.

The contrast between the living and the dead works well for the theme emphasized by the colour contrast, well done.

Hi, Carl, I do like a good botanical photograph and would much prefer just the upper plant, but that would not have fitted the theme as well. I might have liked a different perspective, mainly to get all the ling plant in but i'm not sure if this was possible.

Really do like the detail in the upper plant :clap:

Cheers.

I'm with Andy on this, a lower perspective may have worked a bit better, but that's a hyper criticism if I'm honest.
Living and dead, a great comparison Carl (y)

Back