weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Amazing ... been wondering how the hell ... then I realised it's a toy car. ... I think o_O

First rate stuff Carl.

Amazing ... been wondering how the hell ... then I realised it's a toy car. ... I think o_O First rate stuff Carl.
Thank you David - yes a relic from the toy box stored under the stairs. Useful source of props.

Hi Carl, I'm a couple behind with you :(

Habit, definitely and Alice in Wonderland Daliesque interpretation. I too prefer it with the zzzs

Nice 'off the wall' interpretation :p

Covered, yup, you seem to be (y) Yet another different interpretation Carl.

I keep think that it is going to get easier but it still doesn't :eek:

Covered, yup, you seem to be (y) Yet another different interpretation Carl.
Thanks Jill. Thought long and hard before settling on this composition.

I like it because it's not an obvious take on the theme.
Thanks Andy. I should have spent a bit of time cleaning dust off the model car first ..... but cleaning has never been a strong point ha ha.

Took me a minute or so to work it out, very clever.
Thanks Tim. Ha ha - took me a lot longer to think of it and sketch out (as I tend to do sometimes) before setting up.

Week 48 - Connected

Drink, drugs & smoking (or in this case drink, oregano & oregano-filled reefer ha ha).

Connected by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great concept Carl, the background is spot on too (y)

Great concept Carl, the background is spot on too (y)
Thanksssssssssssssss. Took a while to think of it but came to me ... whilst downing a beer as it happens.

Very good
Thanks Chris

I was seeing a pirate connection in the shot.
Nice processing there (presumably a semi transparent layer?).
I can see why Tim ha ha. I merged a pic of a sketch I did of a skull with the image of the rum & brandy etc and merged the two in PS using the "Multiply" option. (Yeah, sounds gibberish to me too - hope you can make sense of that).

Hi Carl interesting concept though it looks a little messy to me as the skull BG is a little too overpowering needs to be a little more faded if you know what I mean

but nice thinking behind it (y)

Hi Carl interesting concept though it looks a little messy to me as the skull BG is a little too overpowering needs to be a little more faded if you know what I mean but nice thinking behind it (y)
Hmmm! Thanks Allan - I know what you mean, I'll have a play around with the opacity.

Last edited:
Maybe more like this @alsjazzera ?

swfwg0.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Carl ....a really excellent idea and composition....I think the second one has lost some of the impact ....I think it's gone too feint .....but then you can't please all the people all the time :) somewhere between the two would probably be just right :D

It's still a super shot :clap:

Hi Carl ....a really excellent idea and composition....I think the second one has lost some of the impact ....I think it's gone too feint .....but then you can't please all the people all the time :) somewhere between the two would probably be just right :D

It's still a super shot :clap:

Thanks Susie. You're right of course .. .somewhere between the two. Must find a way of accentuating the skull without taking anything away from the bottles maybe.

I agree with @susiejb there, but anyway... it's an interesting concept and I can even see it as an advertisement against bad habit in my country :D
Thank you Nora ..... needs a bit more thought and some extra work I think but so nice to have such encouraging words from everyone.

Excellent artwork Carl, and nice take.

Missing the point initially, I though rum & brandy, strange combination, rum & coke would make more sense.

Anyway, #1 ... powerful stuff. (y)

BTW what's smoking oregano like? :thinking:

Excellent idea fo Connected Carl and definitely prefer #2 as the background actually appears clearer. Oregano....:p I bet that would taste awful, but, after the booze you wouldn't care. A big (y) from me

ow, late to the party on this one! - tbh it didn't help that your link doesn't work ;) - still, there a fair bit of work gone into this Carl, and worth the effort. I was going to say the second one is an improvement in my eyes, but looking at them both for a bit longer the skull is stronger in the first and maybe therefore the message? nice to see you know your erbs!

Hi Carl,
Habit: I do look forward to your shots. You always seem to think outside the box. I prefer the Zzzz one personally. Great PP skills (y)
Covered: Nice thinking again. I am surprised that the detail didn't start to go soft at f32.
Connected: The second one for me Carl. Nicely set up shot and like the associated artwork - a perfect fit (y)

Great idea and nice pp effect too. I can see the connections there and also bad habits for last week's theme too.
Excellent idea fo Connected Carl and definitely prefer #2 as the background actually appears clearer. Oregano....:p I bet that would taste awful, but, after the booze you wouldn't care. A big (y) from me
ow, late to the party on this one! - tbh it didn't help that your link doesn't work ;) - still, there a fair bit of work gone into this Carl, and worth the effort. I was going to say the second one is an improvement in my eyes, but looking at them both for a bit longer the skull is stronger in the first and maybe therefore the message? nice to see you know your erbs!
Connected: The second one for me Carl. Nicely set up shot and like the associated artwork - a perfect fit (y)
Thank you all for your nice encouraging comments. These themes are certainly challenging the grey and murky depths of my brain .... daily oregano hits seem to help a little though. Have you seen what the hissy one @Cobra has picked for us this week !! My first reaction may have sounded like "fennel" but in reality was something a little ruder.

Last edited:
Have you seen what the hissy one @Cobra has picked for us this week !! My first reaction sounded like "Finnel" but had nothing to do with 'erbs
LOL you and me both and I "pick" the damned things :(

Although with the aid of my trusty crow bar I did figure it out in the end ;)

Hi Carl :) I was liking the original image, nicely done... but now I have seen the edit it makes the original not look right :thinking: sooooo the edit for me (y)
Thank you DK. The skull is a lot less prominent in the second, allowing the detail of the photo to show through.

Week 49 - Down

The theme matches my photography this week. Trying out different things, not wishing to copy anyone else's submissions and ended up with this outtake as it were. Quite an abstract on the theme. Maybe we can make a game out of guessing what it is .... and No, it's not a Yeti showing surprise.

Down by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Its certainly abstract, and different Carl but it fits right in (y)

and No, it's not a Yeti showing surprise.
Cat's arse? :D
Water down a plug hole?

Cat's arse? :D
Ha ha ha - didn't think of that but would have been a close shout. Plughole it is though. Boring I know but my head hurts and my dose is blocked ... ManFlu, some will sympathise but Susie, Elaine & Jill I know will just not understand the trauma I'm going through.

Last edited:
Back