weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

I like that Carl., I like the pattens in the glass that the water (?) is forming as well (y)
Thank you. Yes, water cascading down the side of the glass. Taken at the kitchen sink - can make out the drainer in the reflection ha ha.

Hi Carl, nice take on the theme, capturing the flow of the water and you have done well with the reflections, glass is always difficult

That Seasonal car shot is brilliantly conceived and carried out. We can't always choose our background @d00d but the panning has minimized it and added to the mistiness :clap:

How the heck did you do that Full shot, it's got my brain aching trying to figure it out. Fab interpretation Carl (y)

Full, we done with this one. Great textures in the water and nice detail. Not easy to light and I can see the reflector in the rear, but overall good show.

Cheers.

Hi Carl, nice take on the theme, capturing the flow of the water and you have done well with the reflections, glass is always difficult
How the heck did you do that Full shot, it's got my brain aching trying to figure it out. Fab interpretation Carl (y)
Full, we done with this one. Great textures in the water and nice detail. Not easy to light and I can see the reflector in the rear, but overall good show. Cheers.
Yeah at the reflector - But close in detail is great, lovely lighting and captured flow/bubbles/foam - like it (y)
Thank you all for dropping by and commenting. Sorry for the late reply; love painting but not of the decorating kind ho hum.
For Madam: HI Jill - I upended the washing up bowl in the Kitchen sink to elevate the glass and placed a baking tray at the back edge of the sink to give a dark bg and then opened the tap. Natural lighting from the window above the sink. It looked good but only noticed the reflection of the drainer in the glass some time after processing. Doh!

Very nice Full shot Carl [although it looks overfull to me;)] ... Great action shot, and nicely lit.

Hi Carl,

Elements: Great interpretation for the theme. I think I prefer the colours of the elements in the first one.
Seasonal: A really beautiful photograph. Perfect for the theme (y)
Seasonal 2: Another good shot. The mono works well and the panning is great too. I have to admit I prefer the first shot though.
Full: Cracking shot which inspired mine if the truth be told. I really like the textures of the water flowing down the glass :)

Your original leaf shot for Seasonal is a beautiful image even if it was taken a couple of days early. Well done on the rally shot, you've really captured the car well and I think the fog adds enough to the vintage atmosphere to almost make up for the traffic lights and road markings. Full's another lovely capture - the water almost looks like ice flowing into the glass :clap:

Very nice Full shot Carl [although it looks overfull to me] ... Great action shot, and nicely lit.
Hi Carl ...I liked this the moment I saw it ...love the foaming water and the movement in it ....excellent for the theme
Cracking shot which inspired mine if the truth be told. I really like the textures of the water flowing down the glass
Full's another lovely capture - the water almost looks like ice flowing into the glass
Thank you all for your great comments. Struggling with this week's theme so will need to think long and hard :help:

Week 46 - Habit

Thought I'd go for one of my more acceptable habits, 11 o'clock bedtime. (This is an image of a clock face, "warped" and a gradient map applied in PS together with a layer of "Z's"). Colourful if nothing else eh!

Habit by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Oh my !!!!

That is very colourful mate, no idea how you did it, but very impressed all the same (y)
Hi Carl, certainly colourful not sure what to make of that :thinking:

Thanks Dean/Allan. The product of PS work and not much evidence of the original photograph; it was fun doing though - a cartoon-like quality, something out of Alice in Wonderland perhaps.

a cartoon-like quality, something out of Alice in Wonderland perhaps.
That's exactly the thought that crossed my mind, or maybe something from a Disney cartoon, reminiscent of Dumbo, the psychedelic Elephants on parade.
I like it (y)

Hi Carl ...I like a bit of photoshoppery :) always fun to do and it works well on this one, bright, cheery, and a bit wacky ....I like it.
Thank you Susie - I love photoshoppery especially when stuck indoors on a rainy day.
Great image - has the look of Alice in Wonderland about it somehow!
Thanks Richard - yes, I think that too - definitely cartoony.
That's exactly the thought that crossed my mind, or maybe something from a Disney cartoon, reminiscent of Dumbo, the psychedelic Elephants on parade. I like it (y)
Thank you Charlie. Wasn't sure what sort of reception it would get but it was fun to do.

Really nice image Carl. Gerald Scarfe meets Dali :thinking:

but the ZZzzz's, somehow, don't fit. I know sleep habit is the theme but ...

but the ZZzzz's, somehow, don't fit. I know sleep habit is the theme but ...
Thanks David. Maybe the Z's aren't right but it needs something to convey the "11 o'clock bedtime" message - looks a bit bland otherwise don't you think
dbt7bm.jpg

Great concept, nicely executed Carl (y)

Hi Carl, apologies for lack of comments. particularly as you are so prompt to comment on mine everytime, it has been an incredibly busy few weeks.. Anyway enough excuses

Inverse - Stunning. Prefer the original black background but also understand the final image. Pin sharp and awesome execution, as said before would be something i'd imagine on a wall.
Shimmer - First is a nicer image but the second is more 'on theme' something about the processing doesn't appeal to me. Just me though.
Elements - Nice clever interpretation of this theme. and composed cleverly also. Lovely light, nothing more to say.
Full - Damn it. I was looking to do something similar. prompting a re-think. Well executed and I like the grittyness the black gives.
Habit - Not for me I'm afraid mate, but its just an opinion. It's quirky which I like but it doesn't scream the theme to me
Covered - Very clever, makes your head work to figure out other ways in which it meets the theme apart from the obvious. I like the concept and the lighting. DOF is spot on and as always tack sharp.

Nice update mate :)

Great concept, nicely executed Carl (y)
Covered - Very clever, makes your head work to figure out other ways in which it meets the theme apart from the obvious. I like the concept and the lighting. DOF is spot on and as always tack sharp.
As @Cobra says good concept, well executed and as @brownin said, makes you think
Thanks guys - much appreciated. Struggled a bit trying to find something a little different and even more trying to find a model to use ... dug this Opel gathering dust under the stairs.

Habit - Not for me I'm afraid mate, but its just an opinion. It's quirky which I like but it doesn't scream the theme to me
No, I can understand that Nathan - not everyone takes to PP work especially the balance is so far adrift from the basic photograph.

Tidy shot. 25 seconds at f32... :eek:

There's a bit of dust in the "grille" ;)

Were the reflections an issue at all?

I like the concept of the picture... It's spot on and nicely done. I initially think the car exhibition sure has a strange background of insurance papers before realizing what that truly is, I don't really know why :LOL:

Tidy shot. 25 seconds at f32... :eek: There's a bit of dust in the "grille" ;) Were the reflections an issue at all?
Thanks Brian. A bit overdone with the settings I agree ... just wanted to ensure the dates on insurance cert. were clear. A bit of a wash & polish needed I think ... but easier just to put in back under the stairs ha ha. Not so much with reflections but the silver edge to the bonnet did require some fiddling to prevent clipping.

I like the concept of the picture... It's spot on and nicely done. I initially think the car exhibition sure has a strange background of insurance papers before realizing what that truly is, I don't really know why :LOL:
Thanks Nora. I wanted to submit something a little different so thought long and hard and ended up with car insurance cover.

Like the thinking there, a very good idea. Like the inclusion of the car too.
Hi Carl, can only agree with the above comments, very good idea (y)
Thank you Michael & Allan. Must try and get a jump start next time on the theme .... it'll save a lot of head scratching (and resulting splinters) trying to find a different angle on the theme.

Back