weekly Cobra's 52 surreptitious Shoe-horns for 2016 week 52 celebrate and done

Both great shots, prefer the bear. Really great expression on his face :)

Hey Chris :)

Miniature - Ooooo I like these !!! the first one looked like carrots on first glimpse, I will have to have a go at one of these one day, of the 3 I think I prefer the first for the theme, looks more planet like, I'm liking the others but they look more flowery than planet :)

Happy - Got to love the grin on that bear, did you take his pot of honey :D

That first bear is defiantly happy shame he/she has their eyes closed.......

Another gob sorry good shot :)

Hi, I quite like the elephants they look very happy together
Indeed they must be best mates, I've never seen one giving another a drink before.
Cheers Allan (y)

Both great shots, prefer the bear. Really great expression on his face :)

Hey Chris :)

Miniature - Ooooo I like these !!! the first one looked like carrots on first glimpse, I will have to have a go at one of these one day, of the 3 I think I prefer the first for the theme, looks more planet like, I'm liking the others but they look more flowery than planet :) Happy - Got to love the grin on that bear, did you take his pot of honey :D
I prefer the 1st one too Dean, it worked the best and had the best potential, IMO.
The Bear I just said I needed a shot for a challenge, so he just grinned and bear(ed) it :D

Happy ! Great shot of the bear ! Great detail and love the sharpness! (Teeth and the photo!)

Miniature - great idea, and something i must try at some point.Happy - well no crit needed really a happy looking bear.

I prefer the bear, plenty of detail and nice smile haha

That first bear is defiantly happy shame he/she has their eyes closed.......Another gob sorry good shot :)
You were right first time Mark :D
Unfortunately the bears never do seen to open their eyes that much TBH, although they are quite tiny anyway.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys (y)

I actually like the second bear most. At least he looks friendly and unlikely to maul someone any second now. But I assume you had a very long lens? o_O

I actually like the second bear most. At least he looks friendly and unlikely to maul someone any second now. But I assume you had a very long lens? o_O
70-200 my usual zoo lens, they are friendly, as long as you talk to them right :D

Happy - Prefer the bear shot, great detail and expression.

Cheers Guys (y)

Seems I've neglected to shoe horn in a few animal & gob shots recently let me put that right, right here, right now.

Bear Gob shots are hard to come by, and not really dramatic, so this one made me happy, and indeed the bear seems happy enough too.

View attachment 55084

It seems that Elephants are happy when they are allowed to make a trunk call.

View attachment 55085
Great shot on this one, love the Bears "smile" (y)

The Old Elephant house, ZSL Whipsnade, has been abandoned for 20 years.
Curiously you can just about see stalactite's hanging from the roof, some up to 4 ins long. I guess the brick / block work has a high lime content.

From the web :-
In 1996, a new elephant house and paddock was opened to replace the architecturally outstanding but cramped original elephant house designed by Lubetkin and Tecton in 1935.
The old house remains at the zoo as a Grade II listed building.

The day was dull and grey, processed to reflect that.

EH1.jpg

An "Abandoned" Landrover in the cheetah enclosure.
Again as above re the weather and processing.

LR2.jpg

And you can blame Dean @Dark Knight for the terrible pun and shoe horn.
Its a Horse with a-band-on its body :rolleyes:

Ze.jpg

So glad u popped the ditty about the elephant house there Mr c as I was just thinking Snake manor was in need of a paint job......new windows........roof...... doors...... probably floors...ceiling.... got ur self a nice fixer upper... (y)

As for the zebra.....it's the expression that kind of says abandon to me.... poor chap.... knows ur there.... dare not turn to u..... :(

I like both abandoned shots but I prefer the land rover shot myself. Nice work

Three really good photos there. I was also thinking of possibly doing an "a-band-on" but yours wins I think.

As for the zebra.....it's the expression that kind of says abandon to me.... poor chap.... knows ur there.... dare not turn to u..... :(
Have you not heard Simon & Garfunkles at the zoo? He's plotting and waiting for the opportunity to strike!
I like both abandoned shots but I prefer the land rover shot myself. Nice work
Three really good photos there. I was also thinking of possibly doing an "a-band-on" but yours wins I think.
You could always post a picture of Paul McCrtney (A band-on the run :D )

Thanks for dropping by guys (y)

Like the old elephant enclosure, nice composition and interesting history. Toning works well here.

Landover shot is very well processed
Cheers Jason (y)

Abandoned #1 ... that works ... and perhaps your processing helps.

That Defender is recoverable so not sure that counts. ;) ... but yeah it's in a bit of a state. Nicely framed.

That horse looks abandonded :thinking:

Abandoned #1 ... that works ... and perhaps your processing helps.
Thanks David (y)
That Defender is recoverable so not sure that counts.
Perhaps but it looks like it was driven through a fence and just dumped, perhaps I shouldn't have cropped it quite so tightly ?

That horse looks abandonded
:p Don't feel sad, his mates were right behind him :)

Hi Cobra .... I like the Elephant House it's got an Art Deco look so I'm not surprised it's listed, hope it doesn't get totally abandoned.

Another abandoned Land Rover, I'm feeling very nostalgic about them as my Dad worked there for many years from the 1950's, I guess everyone will want them now they've stopped production. Perhaps it doesn't look too abandoned but I like the processing.

That Zebra does look sad :(

Hi Cobra .... I like the Elephant House it's got an Art Deco look so I'm not surprised it's listed, hope it doesn't get totally abandoned.
Its just left totally empty Susie, there is plenty they could do with it I'm sure, but I wonder if they are just going to leave it to "rot" as a protest at it being listed?

Perhaps it doesn't look too abandoned but I like the processing.

That Zebra does look sad :(
As I said to Kev, ( samual slade) have a listen to Simon and Garfunkel's "at the zoo" its up to mischief :D

Thanks for dropping by (y)

Hi Hissy,

Metal - for me it's the first re-shoot. I really like the darkness and reflections.
Captive - Great idea. The mono is better for me but I don't think either 'work' 100% though. Tricky one - well done for giving it a crack (y)
Miniature - I love these little planets. They are all good but No1 for me just because of the great weather :)
Happy - The bear does look like it's kinda smiling so that fits the theme :whistle:
Abandoned - The Landy for me. Nicely composed.

Hi Hissy,

Metal - for me it's the first re-shoot. I really like the darkness and reflections.
Captive - Great idea. The mono is better for me but I don't think either 'work' 100% though. Tricky one - well done for giving it a crack (y)
Miniature - I love these little planets. They are all good but No1 for me just because of the great weather :)
Happy - The bear does look like it's kinda smiling so that fits the theme :whistle:
Abandoned - The Landy for me. Nicely composed.
Thanks for taking the time to comment Lee (y)

I prefer the shot of the LR, but then again it doesn't scream abandoned, more well used.
Just for curiosity's sake here's the LR SooC ( just a re-size for web)
Thanks Tim (y)
129A0059.jpg

Awwww, the Zebra looks abandoned anyway Chris!
Don't think I've ever seen one that looked so sad :(

Don't think I've ever seen one that looked so sad :(
As above, don't feel sad for him, he's plotting something :D
At the Zoo

♪♪ The monkeys stand for honesty.
Giraffes are insincere.
And the elephants are kindly but they're dumb.
Orangutans are skeptical of changes in their cages
And the zoo keeper is very fond of rum.
Zebras are reactionaries,
Antelopes are missionaries.
Pigeons plot in secrecy
And hamsters turn on frequently
.♪♪

Thanks for dropping by Ruth (y)

Surprise no one took the Landie away yet now that they don't make Defender anymore, must still worst some money.
I don't even know if it has an engine, TBH its part of a display, interactive thing, for kids to lift flaps on the side, there are a few safari items strewn about inside,
Oh and it does form part of the Cheetah / human interface barrier, so I guess its quite important where it is :D

Like the processing of the building to reflect the theme.
Cheers Stan (y)

The Old Elephant house, ZSL Whipsnade, has been abandoned for 20 years.
Curiously you can just about see stalactite's hanging from the roof, some up to 4 ins long. I guess the brick / block work has a high lime content.

From the web :-
In 1996, a new elephant house and paddock was opened to replace the architecturally outstanding but cramped original elephant house designed by Lubetkin and Tecton in 1935.
The old house remains at the zoo as a Grade II listed building.

The day was dull and grey, processed to reflect that.

View attachment 55678

Just as an aside to this, I recently went to ZSL London and found out that the old penguin pool with the slide was built by the same people and is also listed
Love your take on it Chris (y)
Damn I think I need to see a psychiatrist o_O

Back