weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Proverb #1 is nice. The adventurous processing, while being pretty subjective, lifts it out of regular street shot territory. Nicely composed, and a good idea (until you get busted).
I really like the lack of contrast in Pale, bang on theme, and the little bit of lilac just gives it something.
Tear is a bit special. The lighting is great and I love the way the lines line up. Makes me think of Tron for some reason.
The muted colours in Word #2 work well. NIce take on the theme.
Thanks Nick

:D love the idea behind the second one d00d, not sure on the colours, black and white maybe o_O
Thanks susie ... I was happy with the blue tabletop, but the old well-used plastic plate acquired an odd texture in PP.

Ahhh that's a great one David, the second words image, the square crop works nicely here, and I really like the use of the cheep plastic knife and fork, well set out and the grain running nice and vertically too, super attention to detail (y)
Thanks DK

Hi there David,

Tear: What a stunning photo. Very simple but very well executed (y)
Words: 1. I like the shot with the light pooling on the words. It doesn't quite sit well with the theme for me though. 2. Good shot that really works. Great composition.
and thank you Lee (y)

... don't like falling behind, it's F day tomorrow, after failing miserably at shots of bridges, supporting columns and stuff, I came up with this ...
Support An Old Banana Today ..

Week 32 Support
fPuUGHZFSNLJYAwBvShpAElXUlTDgS-gurWW_FYcaAQ=w1172-h885-no

Hey David. I like that ... lovely bright colours, nicely exposed, good composition. I can imagine this as an exhibit with someone standing, finger tapping tip of nose, in deep contemplation of the meaning behind the image :clap:

Support. Absolutely love this! It is so fun and vibrant, something I would never have come up with but wish I could, I don't know why but it even made me chuckle. [emoji122]

Hey David. I like that ... lovely bright colours, nicely exposed, good composition. I can imagine this as an exhibit with someone standing, finger tapping tip of nose, in deep contemplation of the meaning behind the image :clap:
Cracking idea, I'm not too keen on the nice but well exposed and composed.

Cheers.
Support. Absolutely love this! It is so fun and vibrant, something I would never have come up with but wish I could, I don't know why but it even made me chuckle. [emoji122]
Hi d00d that looks like one of those surreal images in a modern art gallery, I can picture it on a huge wall. The mind boggles as to how you ever thought of this one ...banana, pin tacks :thinking: but it actually looks very effective.
Haha, :LOL: I like it and an unusual idea I must say. Put a wee smile on my face :)
Hahaaaaa you crazy bugger !!!

Like that idea, nice choice of push pin colour too, a nice contrast, liking the nice heavy shadow below it also, nice one (y)
AWE .. thanks guys. (y)

Last edited:
Impressed with @susiejb 's overlay job, thought I'd give it a go ... [stained glass: Lincoln Cathedral from the archives] blended with a selfie.

Week 33 - Religious

EdBwEUieBQpE4nH5ugL0E8N5WCRUWsNMV-TiApDvCg4=w1028-h884-no

Last edited:
Hi David,

Support : Great idea, love the composition and lighting! Only crit is I don't like spotty bananas :)

Religious: Lovely detail in the glass and gross. Very nice.

This is brilliant, well done! I assume your a dab hand with photo shop as I'm not sure how on earth you'd have done this? :) very impressed :)

Very imaginative and great bit of PP layering work. Excellent. :clap:

Hi David,

Support : Great idea, love the composition and lighting! Only crit is I don't like spotty bananas :)

Religious: Lovely detail in the glass and gross. Very nice.
Thanks Ian ... yes the banana's seen better days, nearly went out to buy more, but then thought old can be interesting!

This is brilliant, well done! I assume your a dab hand with photo shop as I'm not sure how on earth you'd have done this? :) very impressed :)
Thanks Laura ... "dab hand"! ... I actually use an inferior but free editor called Paint.Net, been using it for ten years and never stop learning. I do believe that the base of a good image is a good photo. I spent most of my time getting that right: positioning of fingers, placement of cross, but more importantly, focus, the right exposure and ensuring the shiny bits catch the light.

Hi d00d ....you taught me well :) I hadn't done any for ages and I've really enjoyed messing around again. Nice idea there and I like the way you've kept the cross and chain still looking bright and shiny against the dark hand. Two layers or three ?
Cheers susie ... oh what fun we have. Two layers: stained glass over the hand then ran the eraser over the cross & chain.

Very imaginative and great bit of PP layering work. Excellent. :clap:
... not least ... Carl. I value your input.

:)

Hi Dave
Pale .... Well spotted that one nice lock up with matching bin;) It is indeed pale, like the plastic bag cast aside by the bin just adds that tinge of colour to anchor the eye(y) Spot On.
Tear.... That's well shot! I love the way you have the light funnelling through the other side of the tear, very effective that coupled with the light bleeding through the strips on the folded edge, Nice!
Words .... not sure about this.... I think its because I have fought with interfering foliage in my landscape shots with my other head on, its just my phobia forget it I'll go away in a minute. Love the colour and the light but not that sold on the greenery. It may grow on me though:D
Words two, a nice clean shot and "food for thought" like that background colour, is it a tad darker on the RH side? Fits the theme(y)
Support .... Now that's a cracker! I can see why your in the job your in now;). Bright bold colourful, like the way the image fills the frame, nice uniform background, I think you nailed it or should that be pinned it?:)
Religious .... looks like layers are the flavour of the month! Looks nice, love the muted colours, great idea with the cross, this almost looks like a projection. Works a treat, nice work(y)

hi, nice idea for support I would maybe have cloned out the pins and made it "no visible means of support" quite a lot of haloing around the banana would be my only crit
religion, ticks all the boxes, not my favourite type of image PP but you have done a good job on it

Thanks Allan ... yes I knew you'd spot that haloing around the banana ... caused by a HDR effect sharpening tool: good for the banana but not so good for the BG.

religion, ticks all the boxes, not my favourite type of image PP but you have done a good job on it
:kiss:

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Pale .... Well spotted that one nice lock up with matching bin;) It is indeed pale, like the plastic bag cast aside by the bin just adds that tinge of colour to anchor the eye(y) Spot On.
Tear.... That's well shot! I love the way you have the light funnelling through the other side of the tear, very effective that coupled with the light bleeding through the strips on the folded edge, Nice!
Words .... not sure about this.... I think its because I have fought with interfering foliage in my landscape shots with my other head on, its just my phobia forget it I'll go away in a minute. Love the colour and the light but not that sold on the greenery. It may grow on me though:D
Words two, a nice clean shot and "food for thought" like that background colour, is it a tad darker on the RH side? Fits the theme(y)
Support .... Now that's a cracker! I can see why your in the job your in now;). Bright bold colourful, like the way the image fills the frame, nice uniform background, I think you nailed it or should that be pinned it?:)
Religious .... looks like layers are the flavour of the month! Looks nice, love the muted colours, great idea with the cross, this almost looks like a projection. Works a treat, nice work(y)
Thanks so much for all your kind words Steve.

BTW Re Tear ... I used "Inverted Colours" to make shadows look like light.

Hi David

The Support shot made me laugh out loud. What crazy thinking came up with that premise :runaway::wacky: Very clever in a surreal sort of way :clap::clap::clap:

Religion - Far too clever for me, if I can't do it in Lightroom I don't do it (Old dog - new tricks ;)) Another great interpretation from you (y)

I'm not often ambivalent on photographs, but I am on this one. I'm not keen on the transparent feel, but I really like the detail in the cross.

Cheers.

Hi David

Support: Good fun shot. I echo others comments on the halo. It appears quite noisy on my screen?
Religion: I'm another one that isn't quite sure on the pp I'm afraid. I really like the technicalities in the shot and the detail in the cross and chain.

Support I really like, lots of fun but well executed. Religion I can see what you were aiming for and I like the idea but the window is too busy for my taste!

Support: Nutter! Great imagination. Made me smile.

Religion: Lovely interpretation of the theme. It's not often that I like a composite of this sort but this one really works. Would look good in the back ground of a news room on TV.

Hi David

The Support shot made me laugh out loud. What crazy thinking came up with that premise :runaway::wacky: Very clever in a surreal sort of way :clap::clap::clap:

Religion - Far too clever for me, if I can't do it in Lightroom I don't do it (Old dog - new tricks ;)) Another great interpretation from you (y)
Thanks Jill

Very well done on the pp. Not really into that yet myself apart from the very basic. Like the lighting on the cross and sharp focus.
Thanks Stan

I'm not often ambivalent on photographs, but I am on this one. I'm not keen on the transparent feel, but I really like the detail in the cross.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy ... not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

Hi David

Support: Good fun shot. I echo others comments on the halo. It appears quite noisy on my screen?
Religion: I'm another one that isn't quite sure on the pp I'm afraid. I really like the technicalities in the shot and the detail in the cross and chain.
Thanks Lee ... The noise & haloing in the Support shot are caused by HDR which brought out the detail in the old banana a treat. And I think I brought out the detail on the cross in Religion well but without the addition of the overlayed stained glass it's a pretty boring image.

Hi David :)

Hmmmmm... Good idea but don't think it has worked mate, image wise it just doesn't make sense with a see through hand, but technically it has yes, nicely done :)
Thanks DK ... It's not supposed to make sense. I know, this is supposed to be about photography, not shoppery. :LOL:

Support I really like, lots of fun but well executed. Religion I can see what you were aiming for and I like the idea but the window is too busy for my taste!
Thanks Ruth.

Support: Nutter! Great imagination. Made me smile.

Religion: Lovely interpretation of the theme. It's not often that I like a composite of this sort but this one really works. Would look good in the back ground of a news room on TV.
and Thanks Brian ... a news room on TV in Swaziland maybe.

A couple of Geometrics I saw this morning:-

Geometric #1 ... one of the colourfully clad buildings that make up Central St Giles.
veIYWO-BRCDRVjakaARzMSsoSsiMrzYoZPSOi8UZRso=w1611-h884-no

Geometric #1 Edit
BO7Ww4CrD2hNc1JffnOteiC2kfENp-A8kQe2cLn_WQc=w1855-h829-no

Geometric #2 ... the newly refurbished Tottenham Court Road Tube Stn.
vyyKA0qn90i4JBTQYvHYgUOfFw5C-QkFjz2Xnao5McI=w1286-h884-no

Last edited:
Hi David. Both excellent shots and terrific examples for the theme. I like the colour and PoV of #1 which creates a vanishing point perspective in the sky. #2 is littered with geometrical designs - a bit distracted by the blue and red escalator signs so maybe a b&w conversion may work best !?!?

Hi David,
#1 without a doubt. You've got a great angle, strong colours, reflections in the windows and a nice blue sky to boot! My only comment would be I'd like to see the bottom corners of the building but I appreciate you may not have had the lens for that. :clap:
#2 has lots of shapes but I find I'm looking at the guy on this phone rather than the shapes.

I much prefer number one, as said it has a great PoV and good colours - I can't help but thing TFL are trying to mess with people's heads though!

Hi David. Both excellent shots and terrific examples for the theme. I like the colour and PoV of #1 which creates a vanishing point perspective in the sky. #2 is littered with geometrical designs - a bit distracted by the blue and red escalator signs so maybe a b&w conversion may work best !?!?
Hi David,
#1 without a doubt. You've got a great angle, strong colours, reflections in the windows and a nice blue sky to boot! My only comment would be I'd like to see the bottom corners of the building but I appreciate you may not have had the lens for that. :clap:
#2 has lots of shapes but I find I'm looking at the guy on this phone rather than the shapes.
I much prefer number one, as said it has a great PoV and good colours - I can't help but thing TFL are trying to mess with people's heads though!
Thanks guys
#1 ... I was lucky with that sky, five minutes later it was overcast and stayed that way. I used a wide-angle lens, 12mm, and had the camera almost at ground level but still couldn't get those two bottom corners in.
#2 ... I am pleased with (lucky find) but it does say more that just the geometric shapes on the walls. I'm pleased with the light, and I quite like the blue & red escalator sign, it's just the guy on the far side with the rucksack that detracts.

(y)

Last edited:
Number 2 for me d00d, though I think a crop around the chap coming up the escalator would have given it a 'street' feel and could have improved it?
Maybe worth a look. (I could, of course, be totally wrong - I usually am).

Hi d00d ...it's number one for me ....I love it, brilliant perspective, fabulous colour, looks amazing against that sky, a great find for the theme :clap:
Thanks susie ...
Number 2 for me d00d, though I think a crop around the chap coming up the escalator would have given it a 'street' feel and could have improved it?
Maybe worth a look. (I could, of course, be totally wrong - I usually am).
Thanks Tim ... interesting you like #2 ... I took some more shots with more faces, more street feel, but decided that was too much of a distraction on this occasion.
Hi d00d, number one for me too, excellent its a great viewpoint :clap:
Thanks Allan ... but I though you might point out that is not geometrically perfect. ;)
Hi, geometry #1 for me by a mile. Very interesting perspective. Think I prefer it without the poles at the bottom.

Cheers.
Cheers Andy
Hi David, two excellent shots you've captured. Like the colours and angle of the first. The contrasting red and blue work well, however I would cropped out the two columns at the bottom.
Cheers Stan
I have now done an edit because you & Andy make a good point. See above.

Back