weekly d00d's 52 in 2016 ... week 52 celebration

Your photo really caught my eye. I love the wonky angles of the gravestones and the gradient dark sky, and the dof, and the striking flowers.

Goodness - usually graveyards are quite neat. This one has character. Excellent choice and composition David - those flowers certainly pop. Couldn't imagine ever saying this but it is an interesting image. :clap:

Hi, I feel the busy composition works well here and the vivid colours of the artificial flowers makes them really pop.

Cheers.
I like the random angles of the grave stones and the stark contrast of the flowers, a strong image.
Certainly fits the theme for Spiky nicely framed and good DoF, Artificial, like the angle you used and the flowers certainly pop
Those flowers really pop out from the image with the muted colours of the background they certainly look Artificial to me
Thanks guys. In the flesh, those flowers looked dreadfully artificial, but couldn't really get close enough to capture their artificiality and include those glorious gravestones in their entirety.

Topical - What a great shot, the eu has been a popular topic for topical but this one is one of the best.
Living World - Prefer the first the cluster of people in street rather than the second but both great images
Spiky - A shot I was looking at but just couldn't get it right unlike you. I like how the last posts are cropped identically and the shrubbery at the back contrasts well.
Artificial - I like the shot, moody and dark. Maybe the flowers are a little two saturated although it does make them more obviously artificial
Thanks for your comments Steve. (y)

Hi David... for some reason that graveyard pic for artificial makes me smile! It's the jaunty angles of all the headstones etc. and the vibrant colours all seem to combine to make it look alarmingly fun :thinking:

And I mean all of that in a complimentary way because I think you've taken a good, very on-theme shot. Nicely done.
... alarmingly fun, you wouldn't believe it. This place, London's oldest public burial grounds does film shoots, goth events, fancy dress raves in the catacombs. Some might be horrified I borrowed those "flowers" from a nearby grave.

What an amazing grave yard!
The leaning tower(s) of head stones make a really nice back drop to the ( not so) artificial looking flowers.
Well spotted David :)
Super POV there d00d ...and they definitely look artificial, I hope they are now I've said that!
Well spotted for the theme.
Your photo really caught my eye. I love the wonky angles of the gravestones and the gradient dark sky, and the dof, and the striking flowers.
Wow, that's a spooky graveyard. Are teh stone at those angles due to zombies rising up from their sleep?
The greens and pinks really stand out well against the drab greys. Excellent :)
Goodness - usually graveyards are quite neat. This one has character. Excellent choice and composition David - those flowers certainly pop. Couldn't imagine ever saying this but it is an interesting image. :clap:
Cheers guys ... interesting image, whatever next! (y)

I might do a reshoot ... I think there's focus/aperture room for improvement.

Last edited:
I do love a graveyard and that one looks very interesting, great bright spot of the flowers and the grass, very good indeed (y)

... interesting image, whatever next! (y)
I normally don't like cemetery shots, just the nature of the location maybe, so they rarely grab my interest. Yours does in a strange way I think because as people have already remarked of the angles of the headstones, the uneven ground and the obvious age of the stones - a lot of factors converging really. Then of course, always thought b&w would be the obvious if not only choice but then don't think this one would work as well as it does with the flowers. Grabbed my interest in all those ways.

Last edited:
at a glance i didn't realize they were artificial, they definitely look real to me. great shot, very atmospheric.

Great composition David. Nice contrast between the grey sky and headstones and the vibrant green and purple of the grass and the flowers.

Course there artificial. Great take on the theme. really like the jaunty angles.

Gaz

Super shot, the contrast of the bright flowers and the grave stones makes for a really striking image.

Great pop of colour!!
And what a great looking graveyard (Sounds odd, but you know what I mean!)
Never seen so many leaning monuments.

Well spotted, like the low viewpoint and dof. The bright and well lit flowers contrast well with the dark background
(y)
I do love a graveyard and that one looks very interesting, great bright spot of the flowers and the grass, very good indeed (y)
(y)
I like the way the overall darkness of the image sets off the brightness of the flowers. The competing angles of the headstones work so well, too.
(y)
at a glance i didn't realize they were artificial, they definitely look real to me. great shot, very atmospheric.
(y)
Great idea, very clever.
Good processing, really brings out the flowers
(y)
Great composition David. Nice contrast between the grey sky and headstones and the vibrant green and purple of the grass and the flowers.
(y)
Course there artificial. Great take on the theme. really like the jaunty angles.

Gaz
(y)
Super shot, the contrast of the bright flowers and the grave stones makes for a really striking image.
(y)
Great pop of colour!!
And what a great looking graveyard (Sounds odd, but you know what I mean!)
Never seen so many leaning monuments.
(y)

Thanks all. It is a great place and this is not the last you've seen of it. :D

sorry two this week ... #1 being my first idea, #2 being what I like doing: getting out & about in London.

#1 Personal Finances
AF8mVoEYYd-kY17AGcCh1ras-cDUO1_qQdgSbS9EcJIZCN-QclxyLADcdL34TmHJEimYTrKCI3ak6hCHmd3sCtdxHOZ3XsHOke5i0XBU89z-PewENgYWC7RYu99Lvnt-eaNuogzdWkK-73riAm6j6morN1Fjy41MExM6C0lDvRwy-Y7Hl9Y2W5TrtOcm6zZ-yCBDKisBvsx5r1MssynGbXAFU73NfdU0aEgMvve_OXk8BHHJU5faglrcmu4GakVQVIWE2YNc4nJztoAzNBb1YJ-4XSkoqCKPdru6n0KbXEBZrLdhv1qanJQXryj9fKRmPLTcXlFI0J9toRfz6LEdPsLoRMF3ekz97ek1JoPTAeBGtMe5YmL8O2u2qldl9LhPe-M2_m4dKiMD1O1qxMvS61TnIru67B-7fpOki36p-U45RXX1vHgDbwZ5SoPBiQ8L2ohV6q5YCWxurC-t-CW9v16LI0meRc3U0CXl5JaAxMxWDldmrzFuVZC92HT0EUGxFCTAzCPHF3-UyfYmSI7ifDhPD_katKwwyOrQINFTGCRHZaMRVTUqU_PTJx0rAvvFGw7T=w1076-h893-no

EDIT Added 24/03/16 @17:00
byhjsXMrVreFIPGsyHwzJUQ9A1uWNJSh_vNLzF9UXSnmqndBpKqdXdF5ABVnUb5iKD_6w-KLpTE7nuGR954uNCFd_iDzqDx4_hhEFiAV-Qh94h_e0_DlXg-J-dk4TODIOc0gff3eN2cSqsYpzr88zkc89Ye97NJm0MZZ_q7XzFVTxBt-T5dpd044dHdJO0Bg530dD3KsQFSY1NH42X9u57DGJriBpBMn-esRLISyER20Gm1PGD0p8Q6vWwprS7vZJLZPW30KJM1Pdynj_brugdjPS0ma_2sFVYSSApt3oEblqntntrzUPBBcWMU0qvpABk0A4TvEETtM57ULiPslc9xYUPhQ5SPKkOaEeIK1SWS3Mp25Ts0gYhxCwgpA2vVXWdgCICv6sIlGvXS_Aom69OU2_96f7gY18PTunFKFqCZXgII2_FDgfdwjOovcn-70ywG25jAiGYOD5c9dUAgYi3iloKPY4WURyTu4ziLsaXBZZzfyuB4eiFwxmm_58-Fb7ySOMJ8oh-3GBpWQkdenD7G7AABtmmrfklYE_o0wl4I2DLpH2ZVyfcKe84QZ6afpd32F=w1076-h893-no

#2 Personal Conversation
7EqPFjOvZ7GasJ5jezbWf1sgVGsIvY3LO-H7LM4I93cNO5TpiqaVB4OdsF5NxdxtokGR0yNzqOUWF4IPUIqLhPlMuU9zF_yO77MFkhWHKkoDW5qZCenZ8yNEM4I2bg7pgG5jkKcL7eI7txiQjASOGsfFX_DXFil-W6lw-rl5rPLhtiGvQ4GK44tbk7VnLmHNUIpuaDjpvgZjjfpnsdNfA3EoMR-NKT9mkXGR6aRICKmS8uFvhZLr4FKM8SWVxsFXftiqdUKBklas7teFWhs_zBrCUoDKDkvKT6BNk3oBQBPpN-l70LClofc3DnmsJEGHWc6oh2KOH6danrRgZtaS3Ecb68OJduCuMFWVcAsWRQ_KDb0kiaoh2b7PuR_6J_NWVVLVuQ7JtH624F4JBkN3kFduJJh-qZN7sLbKrAGaAPus6eLj3upYy-jXh7jjEm6ORlT-a_07qjfvgQHzOj0BKRWtFo9Xe4lxwP14C4BqYDDYXiG3ctCpNNgunBSkvS0UlJ91-TjdweSv7ByTHDosYKdi11KS3TT-ldHErD0BZTkyLXsecPFPDfVgtUTZnnIr0rCg=w1101-h893-no

Last edited:
Hi David,

Living World: 1st image for me, definitely interprets lots of people going about their daily lives. Like the 16:9 sizing. Anything other sizing and the image would not have represented the theme so well.

Spiky: Fits the theme well

Artifical: Colour of the flowers really stand out and add vibrancy to the photo. Always wonder how we get some of the brightly coloured fresh flowers sometimes :thinking:

Personal: !st image tells a lovely story about someones personal
finances and how they can have nothing and wish for lots more and how the chances that can be taken to achieve this.

Definitely the 1st one for me David, nice and sharp loads of details in there as well (y)

A couple of good shots for the theme there - I love how you've come at it from two completely different angles. There's so much to look at and think about in the first and you've caught the expression perfectly in the second.

Hi David... first personal is a good shot and you've managed the lighting well, but I'd like to see quite a bit of an exposure lift - the histogram suggests there's a huge amount of latitude to lift it... and for me, that'd make it a top shot (y)

But I'll say I actually prefer the second which feels like a great street shot and technically well captured. Well done again!

Yes definitely #2 for me too David. Both obviously well themed but the detail, expression, colour and DoF are just fabulous in that street shot. :clap:

Two very different approaches to the theme, David, and both work well. Lots of different personal clues in the staging of the first one, hinting at a story about the owner's circumstances and hopes, while the second has immediate impact from his expression and stance, and tells the story through the DOF, the colours and the way he seems lost in his own thoughts and conversation. Both spot on and #2 is my favourite.

2 Great images for Personal David

I like them both but No 2 just edges it for me as it's the sort of shot I would love to get (street photography is one thing I haven't really tired yet)

A couple of nice takes on the theme @d00d, I think I prefer the street shot. A decent capture and he seems to be in a world of his own, not noticing you.
Hi David,

Living World: 1st image for me, definitely interprets lots of people going about their daily lives. Like the 16:9 sizing. Anything other sizing and the image would not have represented the theme so well.

Spiky: Fits the theme well

Artifical: Colour of the flowers really stand out and add vibrancy to the photo. Always wonder how we get some of the brightly coloured fresh flowers sometimes :thinking:

Personal: !st image tells a lovely story about someones personal
finances and how they can have nothing and wish for lots more and how the chances that can be taken to achieve this.
Definitely the 1st one for me David, nice and sharp loads of details in there as well (y)
A couple of good shots for the theme there - I love how you've come at it from two completely different angles. There's so much to look at and think about in the first and you've caught the expression perfectly in the second.
Hi David... first personal is a good shot and you've managed the lighting well, but I'd like to see quite a bit of an exposure lift - the histogram suggests there's a huge amount of latitude to lift it... and for me, that'd make it a top shot (y)

But I'll say I actually prefer the second which feels like a great street shot and technically well captured. Well done again!
I prefer the 2nd photo; it seems much more natural than the 1st one
Yes definitely #2 for me too David. Both obviously well themed but the detail, expression, colour and DoF are just fabulous in that street shot. :clap:
Two very different approaches to the theme, David, and both work well. Lots of different personal clues in the staging of the first one, hinting at a story about the owner's circumstances and hopes, while the second has immediate impact from his expression and stance, and tells the story through the DOF, the colours and the way he seems lost in his own thoughts and conversation. Both spot on and #2 is my favourite.
Hi d00d :agree: with Andreas comments ...also, that first shot is very crisp the £5 note is almost 3D. Two excellent choices for the theme :)
Dig your Graveyard shot David....he...he...
The personal shots work really well, nice compo, the closeness of the phone shot give the image punch.
2 personals are both on theme. I prefer no1 .
2 Great images for Personal David

I like them both but No 2 just edges it for me as it's the sort of shot I would love to get (street photography is one thing I haven't really tired yet)
Thanks all for your comments. (y)

#2 seems favourite, but not everyone's favourite, I do wonder how a shot like that is going to go down, lots of people (non-photographer types) don't exactly approve of "street".

Mandy @HeartandSoul .... thanks for the catch up, nice of you.

Paul @pjm1 .... special thanks, I have a poor understanding of the histogram and what you are supposed to do with them, perhaps I should take my PP more seriously.

>> I've just tweaked #1 and added the edit next to my original submission. Is that what you mean Paul? Looks better to me. :)

Last edited:
Hi, the street photo is the better of the two, the composition of the first is a little too busy maybe

Hi David.
Couple of nice ones there for the theme.
Personal finances looks familiar! :LOL:
The chap making the call looks rather stressed.

Street scene for me too, the personal finances one is clear and sharp but the guy's expression if great for the theme

It's the street scene for me David, he looks like he's in his own personal little world, oblivious to everyone else.

Back