Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2020

Hi Bill, two great images since my last visit (y) As everyone has already said, the backlighting and processing for your Discarded image work very well indeed to give a moody and gritty result.

As for your Snapper's Choice image, it's all about the colour and texture of the water's surface that you have smoothed with a long exposure. The rusty tones of the bridge, the texture of the clouds and the distant mountains combine for a really peaceful scene.

Lovely LE shot Bill, looks so peaceful and very scenic in the BG.
Thanks Dave.

Lovely tranquil shot.
Thank you Bebop

As others have said very tranquil Bill!
Thank you Cobra

I really like that.
Just the right amount of smoothing on the water. The juxtaposition of the natural and man-made world. The lead in from the top corner and even some drama in the sky. Excellent :clap:
Thank you Tim, I like to contrast man and nature when I can.

Discarded - as other have said well lit and the lprocessing suits it,
Snappers choice - I agree i does look very tranquil.
Thank you minx, very simple Lightroom adjustments. I created a version in Nik SilverEfex but thought that the colour suited this better.

I like that, Bill. Almost milky smooth water with plenty of reflection. Nice textured sky too.
Thank you Stan

Nice long exposure and love the background mountains.
Thanks Clive.

Snappers choice is a great image, lovely use of long exposure and the composition is spot on :)
Thanks Rick

Nice scenic shot, I like the mountains in the background!
Thanks Bernd.

Question: Does anyone know why my image lost sharpness when I uploaded it to the forum? On my computer this image is very sharp but I find it quite soft when I look at it here.

Hi Bill, two great images since my last visit (y) As everyone has already said, the backlighting and processing for your Discarded image work very well indeed to give a moody and gritty result.

As for your Snapper's Choice image, it's all about the colour and texture of the water's surface that you have smoothed with a long exposure. The rusty tones of the bridge, the texture of the clouds and the distant mountains combine for a really peaceful scene.

Many thanks Andrea.

Great composition, original theme like this a lot. Well spotted.

Last edited:
So I am a fan of long exposures, I know it divides others... I really like that shot, the composition and colours are perfect.
Your Wild take is “Off The Wall” (sorry couldn’t help myself) you nailed it.

Like the composition with the view down the street and the people framing the shot.

Great spot, and well timed with the lady on the right of the photo. Well planned to be in the right place at the right time (however fortuitous) with the right kit!

Great composition, original theme like this a lot. Well spotted.

Thanks Roger.

So I am a fan of long exposures, I know it divides others... I really like that shot, the composition and colours are perfect.

Thanks Heather, I like to play with long exposures as well. I appreciate your comments.

Your Wild take is “Off The Wall” (sorry couldn’t help myself) you nailed it.

Like the composition with the view down the street and the people framing the shot.

Thanks Helen, I took it as a sign...:D

Great spot!

Thanks Dave.

Great spot, and well timed with the lady on the right of the photo. Well planned to be in the right place at the right time (however fortuitous) with the right kit!

Thanks Shugpug, I was a little slow reacting to the scene though. I just missed a bright red bike gliding through....

Well spotted, and the people add to it.

Thanks Clive.

Well spotted, but imo it would be better to crop it so it just shows the wild bit and lights.

Thanks Dave, I thought about this and, for me, the people and the roadway tell more of the story. The roadway puts the sign in context and the people add some movement to an otherwise static image. It's just how I see the scene when I shoot street photography.

good spot unusual image for the theme

Thanks Papillon!

Broken (and re-purposed), Drummond's Walk, Port Coquitlam, British Columbia

Feb 16 (1 of 1)-8.jpg

Very clever shot and again well spotted.

Thanks Roger, walking the dogs and saw this. I thought that it might fit :)

Nice image for Brpoken, great leading line and the log in the foreground adds some good interest and contrast, I think there could have been a temptation for a long exposure to smooth the water but, for me, the natural look is right.

Nice image for Brpoken, great leading line and the log in the foreground adds some good interest and contrast, I think there could have been a temptation for a long exposure to smooth the water but, for me, the natural look is right.

Thanks Jim, I think you're right. A long exposure would have been appropriate but I was travelling light while walking the dogs and only have minimal gear. No tripod and nothing that I could use to prop my camera on. Sometimes ya just gotta go with what ya got...:chicken:

Thanks Jim, I think you're right. A long exposure would have been appropriate but I was travelling light while walking the dogs and only have minimal gear. No tripod and nothing that I could use to prop my camera on. Sometimes ya just gotta go with what ya got...:chicken:

As I said, i'm not sure it needs the long exposure to be honest, it's nice to see the water in a 'natural state' if you know what I mean ;)

Well spotted and nice image. The wisp of cloud makes it atmospheric.

Nice image and looks like a tranquil and peaceful walking route too. Quite a lot of broken bits and pieces there.
Thanks Stan, yes it's a really nice off-leash walk for the dogs. Very scenic. I think that all the broken pieces might be from the old sawmill that used to be on the site. There's also a small lighthouse:
Feb 16 (1 of 1)-7.jpg

Wild - Great spot something a little different for the theme, I like it.

Broken - I like that the little bit of could/mist really adds to the atmosphere of the shot.

I love your compositions for the broken theme, so much interest in the photos and dramatic cloud lines.

I like this shot alot, the composition is spot on with the included pedestrians. Very well spotted.

Back