weekly : Dave70D 52 for 2017 Week 52 WEATHER COMPLETED

A genuine rustic 'kissing gate' in a rustic scene - tick, tick. The well insulated walkers and pooches add to the scene and the monochrome version works best for me.

I generally like the human element (you may have noticed) ... but in this case I prefer the first pic. Good colour - if dull winter - and good gate detail.

I think I'm going through a B&W phase at the moment - I absolutely love your 'lower' height picture - looks really space age. I also prefer the mono rustic one. For me the people add interest, and what a view!

The juicy chews are right on theme and colourful. Having just started playing with flash myself, I think a flash would wreak havoc with reflections on that wrapper. I'm finding flash really tricky, but that's why I love photography - there's always another challenge around the corner.

Well spotted opportunity for Remote - I think David did a good job with the shadow. There are some clever people on here!

How did they do that with the jaguar? I can't work it out.

I like the second of your worn shots with the padlock - nice contrasting colours.

Sorry to hear you've been suffering. Hope the back/shoulder is recovering well.

I think I'm going through a B&W phase at the moment - I absolutely love your 'lower' height picture - looks really space age. I also prefer the mono rustic one. For me the people add interest, and what a view!

The juicy chews are right on theme and colourful. Having just started playing with flash myself, I think a flash would wreak havoc with reflections on that wrapper. I'm finding flash really tricky, but that's why I love photography - there's always another challenge around the corner.

Well spotted opportunity for Remote - I think David did a good job with the shadow. There are some clever people on here!

How did they do that with the jaguar? I can't work it out.

I like the second of your worn shots with the padlock - nice contrasting colours.

Sorry to hear you've been suffering. Hope the back/shoulder is recovering well.

Thanks very much for the nice words mate. On the Jag shot they were driving some of them over the blocks, think I caught it just right.

Hi Dave, one of the definitions I saw of 'rustic' was "relating to the countryside; rural" so you're spot on with this scene. I love the natural colours in the first but I also like the addition of people and dogs in the second one so ideally I'd like to see the second one in colour :) Perfect for the theme though, and a great view beyond the gate itself.

I also liked the simple idea and bold colours in Fruity, and definitely the smiley faces :)

Here you go @Manxmaid and thank you too :)

(y) That's a super vantage point to see so much countryside for miles around. There's only really one place on the island where we can get such a huge view, and even then most of the view would be of sea :D

Hi Dave, one of the definitions I saw of 'rustic' was "relating to the countryside; rural" so you're spot on with this scene. I love the natural colours in the first but I also like the addition of people and dogs in the second one so ideally I'd like to see the second one in colour :) Perfect for the theme though, and a great view beyond the gate itself.

I also liked the simple idea and bold colours in Fruity, and definitely the smiley faces :)

The little white dog is Susie, and my mum is watching the couple coming through the gate.

(y) That's a super vantage point to see so much countryside for miles around. There's only really one place on the island where we can get such a huge view, and even then most of the view would be of sea :D

It is beautiful up on the South Downs just looking for miles of landscape. On my Flickr are different views too.

Last edited:
The little white dog is Susie, and my mum is watching the couple coming through the gate.

Yes, I realised that from one of your earlier replies. It's always handy when you can take your own models along to set the scene :)

It is beautiful up on the South Downs just looking for miles of landscape.

I've never been there - it's one for the list - but enjoyed a similar vista from the Broadway Tower in the Cotswolds earlier this year, although it quickly became a view of just how fast a big rain shower can cross the landscape in your direction, casting dark shadows over the landscape you were admiring and then leave you running to the car :eek:

Yes, I realised that from one of your earlier replies. It's always handy when you can take your own models along to set the scene :)

I've never been there - it's one for the list - but enjoyed a similar vista from the Broadway Tower in the Cotswolds earlier this year, although it quickly became a view of just how fast a big rain shower can cross the landscape in your direction, casting dark shadows over the landscape you were admiring and then leave you running to the car :eek:

I was happy the shots came out, as it was blowing us all over. I think next time I will put up both b&w and colour :)

Like John, I'm going to take a contrary view here and state my preference for #1
Because the kissing gate is more obviously the subject and because it avoids the unsightly poles on the left of #2.
Whether or not a tighter crop on #2 would reverse my thoughts, dunno.
Both work for the theme though.

Like John, I'm going to take a contrary view here and state my preference for #1
Because the kissing gate is more obviously the subject and because it avoids the unsightly poles on the left of #2.
Whether or not a tighter crop on #2 would reverse my thoughts, dunno.
Both work for the theme though.

Thank you Tim, I wish I had actually taken the gate shot at a lower angle now imo.

For the festive theme I had an idea to get to town early as we had rain on the way, my camera and lens might be WR but I was not going to stay out too late. I still got wet, the main shot is looking down North street in Brighton taken about 4pm in drizzle, festive shoppers and lights. The Santa was taken looking right at the Theatre Royal and just before I got on the bus to get in the dry I took the Lanes shot.

North Street Lights by Dave, on Flickr

Festive Santa Ho Ho Ho by Dave, on Flickr

Festive Lanes by Dave, on Flickr

The Santa for me Dave Nicely avoided the reflections in the glass(n) The first one doesn't quite pop for me; maybe a few minutes later the lights would be brighter or it might have been the weather but it seems flat. Not a nice day to be out with a camera though

The Santa for me Dave Nicely avoided the reflections in the glass(n) The first one doesn't quite pop for me; maybe a few minutes later the lights would be brighter or it might have been the weather but it seems flat. Not a nice day to be out with a camera though

Thank you John, the weather was pretty grotty as wet damp and foggy so I was just glad to get the santa shot really :)

First ones underexposed really, maybe the wrong time of day. The Santa is the better image though his hat is covering his face which somewhat spoils it. The last one is suffering from under exposure too, do you use the histogram in whatever PP software you use, it may help

First ones underexposed really, maybe the wrong time of day. The Santa is the better image though his hat is covering his face which somewhat spoils it. The last one is suffering from under exposure too, do you use the histogram in whatever PP software you use, it may help

Thank you Allan, it was one grotty day weather wise. I am going to set up both the X-T2/X-T20 to show the histogram, so I am hoping to get the shot right in camera :)
PS: I use LR 6 and PSE15.

I actually like the 1st one Dave, I think the under exposure adds to it, almost a bah humbug take on the festive period...
The santa shot, I like the teddy in there along with seeing faces through the window too.

Thank you Michael, I felt right out of my comfort zone in the grotty weather :eek:

the first one feels like there is more to be had, I use the histogram a lot and whilst it is always the answer I find it really helps. Second one I think suits the theme best, nice and festive

the first one feels like there is more to be had, I use the histogram a lot and whilst it is always the answer I find it really helps. Second one I think suits the theme best, nice and festive

Thank you Chris for the comment and looking, think it`s time to try and get the right exposure in camera :)

Santa for me too, the others are just too dark I'm afraid (imo), Santa has an obvious focal point and is more vibrant.
You can do quite a bit to bring the darker ones back in PS from the jpg, so I expect you could do more from the raw.

Back