weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Lovely flower, flipping the theme.....might give it a try :)

It's a little busy, but wonderful colours.

Cheers and when ya camping again?

(Me? glad you asked...Saturday with Lynne and Spurn Point :))

A Passion flower (passiflora) Wow great! - Some childhood memories for me there Dean, my mum used to grow these, she told me they depicted the Christian story of the three loaves and five fishes feeding the multitude... (count the sticky out bits)

Bloody rubbish for the theme though! :rolleyes: Never mind, that's you up to date then. :p

Anyway: you have done a good job DK, lots of colour and just enough in focus, I am not a fan of the very off centre main subject especially as it looks to me like a step to the right (oh god it's the time warp lyrics!) might have closed that empty area to the left, but your image your crop of course. I bet this wasn't easy with the blustery conditions we've had this week?
lol at the time warp :D

Well yes the wind was a right pain, many of the other shots I had were effected one way or another, what with the crap light !!!

Thanks for the naming of the flower too :)

When needs must :D

Exactly, that's why I chose it :)

Well... I have another long weekend booked for August :banana:

Cool.... Sunrise, Sunset or both :D

Yeah, we've got Wales August bank holiday. I said to Jackie, "can't we nip away mid August and she said, 'we've got Isabelle's new uniform to buy!", "Ppppffftt", I said....and lost the argument.

Sunset and sunrise :clap:

Where you going in August?

Cheers.

Yeah, we've got Wales August bank holiday. I said to Jackie, "can't we nip away mid August and she said, 'we've got Isabelle's new uniform to buy!", "Ppppffftt", I said....and lost the argument.

Sunset and sunrise :clap:

Where you going in August?

Cheers.
You were NEVER going to win that one :LOL:

August, staying close'ish again, just popping to Cambridgeshire :)

Lots of lovely unpale colours there. (y)

:exit:

Fantastic macro ... as always.

Last edited:
Hi DK,

I am surprised how many I have to catch up on - apologies :( Anyhooo...

Crowd: There is nothing to see except a crowd of clouds :) I found this shot strangely relaxing and a good interpretation on the theme.
Alphabet: Another good interpretation. It's great to see how many different ways one word can be made into a photo. I agree re the cropping though.
Sound: Lovely speaker and composition. I like the reflections as it gives it texture/finish. I would have cloned out the odd bit towards the lower left though I think.
Experiment: A powerful shot. Fantastic. Maybe a touch bright for the subject matter if that makes sense.
Heat: I like the charred bit too. I agree on removing the blow torch. Like the faint whips of smoke :)
Figures: A great photo, composition and sculpture. Like (y)
Household: Another good one. Perfect DoF as has been said.
Limit: A very clever shot as my eye is instantly drawn to the sign which would otherwise spoil the shot but in this case it's perfect :clap:
Reshoots: Alphabet and machine: I prefer machine personally as the colours on the body really pop. The Alphabet sheep looks mighty grumpy!
Bizarre: Yes it is. I may have nightmares now :D
Broken: I like the shot. The only crit I have is it looks a touch too saturated for me.
Spiral: Two very good shots. Both work for me (y)
Silhouette: Stunning. Love the diffraction spikes :clap:
Animal: Lovely close crop on Oscar. No crit from me at all. They are all great but then I love Macro;)
Proverb: Not heard that proverb. Great photo. The edge of the mostly hidden fruit is a bit of a distraction for me though.
Pale: Well, some bits are pale... Lovely photo nonetheless (y)

hi Dean, on the comment wagon at mo :) sorry been a while, i wont go all the way back but;

Animal 4 would be my choice - superb, dof and sharpness is spot on along with the framing. cant fault it, you macro god you!
Pale - COP OUT! lol we all have them though, shoe horn away though that image is stunning! again your a macro guru!

hi Dean, on the comment wagon at mo :) sorry been a while, i wont go all the way back but;

Animal 4 would be my choice - superb, dof and sharpness is spot on along with the framing. cant fault it, you macro god you!
Pale - COP OUT! lol we all have them though, shoe horn away though that image is stunning! again your a macro guru!

Hi DK, I can only applaud that interpretation, its the future :LOL:
Well that is one way to look at it :D

Lots of lovely unpale colours there. (y)

:exit:

Fantastic macro ... as always.
Haaaaa thanks David :)

Hi DK ....wow some super catch ups on this page, your hoverfly is excellent and the proverb cherry one is just superb, I really love it :clap::clap:
Oooooo Thanks Susie :)

Pale is ummmm....different :D
Really :whistle:

( and yes as d00d says...its a great macro shot)
Thanks again Susie :)

Hi DK,

I am surprised how many I have to catch up on - apologies :( Anyhooo...
No problem Lee... I'm more guilty than anybody this year :)

Crowd: There is nothing to see except a crowd of clouds :) I found this shot strangely relaxing and a good interpretation on the theme.
Thnk you :)
Alphabet: Another good interpretation. It's great to see how many different ways one word can be made into a photo. I agree re the cropping though.
Thanks again... and (y)
Sound: Lovely speaker and composition. I like the reflections as it gives it texture/finish. I would have cloned out the odd bit towards the lower left though I think.
I did think that too... but liked the depth it gave the shot :)
Experiment: A powerful shot. Fantastic. Maybe a touch bright for the subject matter if that makes sense.
I think you are dead right yes, I kept it for the detal but do agree I should have darkened it a bit :)
Heat: I like the charred bit too. I agree on removing the blow torch. Like the faint whips of smoke :)
:)
Figures: A great photo, composition and sculpture. Like (y)
Thank you again :)
Household: Another good one. Perfect DoF as has been said.
:)
Limit: A very clever shot as my eye is instantly drawn to the sign which would otherwise spoil the shot but in this case it's perfect :clap:
Cool :cool:
Reshoots: Alphabet and machine: I prefer machine personally as the colours on the body really pop. The Alphabet sheep looks mighty grumpy!
He sure wasn't a happy chap :D
Bizarre: Yes it is. I may have nightmares now :D
Me too :LOL:
Broken: I like the shot. The only crit I have is it looks a touch too saturated for me.
I guess I did push it a bit as usual :)
Spiral: Two very good shots. Both work for me (y)
YAY !!! :)
Silhouette: Stunning. Love the diffraction spikes :clap:
Blimey :) :)
Animal: Lovely close crop on Oscar. No crit from me at all. They are all great but then I love Macro;)
Me too Lee - Me Too :D
Proverb: Not heard that proverb. Great photo. The edge of the mostly hidden fruit is a bit of a distraction for me though.
Yeah If I had spotted it I would have pulled it off... guess I should have tried harder to clone it out... Lazy Sod I am :)
Pale: Well, some bits are pale... Lovely photo nonetheless (y)
One Tried :D

I don't blame you Nathan :)

LOL... Thanks :)
Cop Out, sounds about right :LOL:

Thanks for the real kind comments (y)

Annnnnd folk onto this weeks theme...

The weather was not kind this morning so I took the chance to do an indoor shot, I decided to go for tear rather than tear, this shot was shot with natural light, quite a long exposure, I did try a few with my speedlight as my small studio fl;ashes are packed away, but I found the light did'n work as will on this paper, it was way to easy to blow the detail, so natural light it was :)

Week 30 - Tear

As ALWAYS best viewed LARGE on Flickr to see the detail :)

Wk 30 - Tear by TP DK, on Flickr

Very nice detail. I tried the same but my torn paper was boring, too clean, no character ha ha.

That's nice DK (y)

I too did torn paper but my paper tears differently to yours. ;)
Thanks David, yeah I noticed yours too, very nice (y)

Very nice detail. I tried the same but my torn paper was boring, too clean, no character ha ha.
Cheers Carl :)

Mine was nice and thick and fibrous, I was going to use some white on a black background but the only white I had is thin copy paper :)

Hi DK, bit darker for me, a bit more of a black and white thing,
it was my original idea too it's a much better pic than anything I managed (y)

Love the starburst in Silhouette - it really makes the image!
Poor Oscar, he does look a bit p*ssed off! Nice composition with the inclusion of the nose and whiskers instead of just the eyes.
Lovely shiny cherries in Proverb and the colour really pops out against the muted bg.
I love passion flowers and that one's a great example. I'd never seen or heard of them until a couple of years ago when they were growing wild in a field next to a house we stayed in and I had to look up what they were, but had completely forgotten the name until Brian mentioned it! So what if they've got deep purple bits - they've got pale bits too!
I think I might have been inclined to clone out the shadow under the rolled up bit in Tear, but apart from that it's a good composition with the nice lead-in from the corner.

Hi, looks to be a few similar submissions :)

The high contrast works well, plenty of detail as well. Not an easy on to produce; what I assume is black card looks grey, but if it were black it would not show much IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Hi DK, bit darker for me, a bit more of a black and white thing,
it was my original idea too it's a much better pic than anything I managed (y)
Cheers Allan :)

Yeah looking back now I think I could have gone a tad darker and still kept some of the detail... lesson of the week :D

Looks good, as @alsjazzera said maybe a little too dark for me around the rolled bit.
Thank you Choppie :)

Love the starburst in Silhouette - it really makes the image!
Thanks Elaine :)
Poor Oscar, he does look a bit p*ssed off! Nice composition with the inclusion of the nose and whiskers instead of just the eyes.
Yeah poor thing, I didn't think at the time, but afterwards... poor kitty :D
Lovely shiny cherries in Proverb and the colour really pops out against the muted bg.
Thanks again Elaine :)
I love passion flowers and that one's a great example. I'd never seen or heard of them until a couple of years ago when they were growing wild in a field next to a house we stayed in and I had to look up what they were, but had completely forgotten the name until Brian mentioned it! So what if they've got deep purple bits - they've got pale bits too!
Me neither, very intricate, nature sure is fascinating how flowers like this develop !!!
I think I might have been inclined to clone out the shadow under the rolled up bit in Tear, but apart from that it's a good composition with the nice lead-in from the corner.
Ahhhhh see different opinions are great, as I deliberately kept that in lol , thanks for the great catch up of comments - really appreciated :)

Hi, looks to be a few similar submissions :)
Shhhhhhh I was hoping people wouldn't notice lol :whistle:

The high contrast works well, plenty of detail as well. Not an easy on to produce; what I assume is black card looks grey, but if it were black it would not show much IYSWIM.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, yeah you and Allan are right, could have gone a tad darker I think and still kept some of the fibrous texture showing, just not as much... but it does look a little washed out :)

And onto this week...

These are pretty rough edits, as like a total tool, as usual I have jumped into a new OS on my PC without giving it time to settle down before I take the plunge, I always do it, always say I will never do it again... but hey, I NEVER learn :D Lightroom keeps Freezing in windows 10, so have just edited these shots mildly, I will have a better go once they get them stable :)

I knew straight away what I wanted to do, and where to go... for me words here always have such deep meanings and I have tried to capture a couple of different scenarios with these fewe of shots.

Wk 31 - Words

'Even Words written in stone fade in time...'

Wk 31- even 'Words' written in stone fade in time... by TP DK, on Flickr

'Words that last longer than a lifetime...'

Wk 31 - 'Words' that last longer than a lifetime by TP DK, on Flickr

'Words that should never have to be written in stone...'

Wk 31 - 'Words' that should never have to be written in stone by TP DK, on Flickr

I like these. #3 very touching and your statement could not be more fitting.

Out of interest did you meet any individuals less that happy for you to be there with a camera? There's a cemetery I'd like to take some photos of (before anymore of it is vandalised) but its in a busy area right next to the medical centre.

As morbid as it sounds I do like roaming around graveyards looking at the inscriptions; some almost bring me to tears :(

You've done well with the lighting on these and my initial thought was, I'm afraid, to tidy #1 up a little...but I wouldn't have.

I really like them all, but #3 with the low POV, textures and the age the little girl passed away, is the one for me.

Good show.

Cheers.

I like these. #3 very touching and your statement could not be more fitting.
Thanks Choppie :)

[/quote]Out of interest did you meet any individuals less that happy for you to be there with a camera? There's a cemetery I'd like to take some photos of (before anymore of it is vandalised) but its in a busy area right next to the medical centre.[/QUOTE]Well I was unsure at first, but made sure I was respectful and didn't stand on graves, didn't fiddle with them at all either, and made a conscious effort to say 'Hi' to passers bye, everybody was very polite :)

As morbid as it sounds I do like roaming around graveyards looking at the inscriptions; some almost bring me to tears :(
Me too made... and some of the vandalism there almost did too, so disgraceful :(

You've done well with the lighting on these and my initial thought was, I'm afraid, to tidy #1 up a little...but I wouldn't have.
Thanks Andy :)

I have cloned out a couple of bits, but I wanted to show it's age too, I felt the overgrown feel added to it, relatives that knew the deceased are likely very infrequent visitors, also sad :(

I really like them all, but #3 with the low POV, textures and the age the little girl passed away, is the one for me.

Good show.

Cheers.
Thanks again Andy :)

I feel that one sure has the most sentiment and will tug at a few strings for sure

Excellent choice of subject DK - didn't even think about that. #3 is my favourite for all the reasons Andy mentioned. Would you consider b&w or sepia versions to compliment the character and age of the shots?

Excellent choice of subject DK - didn't even think about that. #3 is my favourite for all the reasons Andy mentioned. Would you consider b&w or sepia versions to compliment the character and age of the shots?
Thank you Carl :)

Yeah I did think about B&W, now I have LR running again properly I may try one during the week :)

Of the three I prefer #3 with the right amount of DoF and low view point.
Thanks Stan :)

Yes good idea for the Words theme.

Forgetting about the words for a moment, I really like #1 & #2 ... don't dislike #3 but it's not as well composed as the others. But good stuff.

Yes good idea for the Words theme.

Forgetting about the words for a moment, I really like #1 & #2 ... don't dislike #3 but it's not as well composed as the others. But good stuff.
Thanks David :)

I did try to alter the compositions for each shot, and understand what you say about 3, even though it is the more poignant than the others, to me it is also very singular and the only object in the frame, which can work for it and also against it :)

The middle one for me. I like how it has it's back to the others, I have no idea why... It just makes me feel sad.

B. :cow:

You have given your photos some very meaning full titles although I like all three - number one stands out for me I think due to the composition. :clap:

Animal #7 really has something. The head on, low view and the movement in the wings are all spot on.
Pale is even more of a cheat than any of mine... good call! Love the colours & use of DOF.
I really like the way the paper tears away to nothing there, and the texture on the paper really pops out.
Words #2 is the best of the bunch for me. Lovely sharp lettering, and the lighting on the stone. Good use of DOF and the best composition of the three.

Hi DK ....brilliant choice for Words my favourite for the theme, your shots and your comments have so much meaning in them, which is what Words are all about ...re: editing, sometimes it's not the perfection of the image but the message it conveys that counts, they brought a tear to my eye....love them.

The middle one for me. I like how it has it's back to the others, I have no idea why... It just makes me feel sad.

B. :cow:
Thanks Brian :)

Number 3 for me for the low pov and the poignancy of the message. And I love your quote above it too - very effective :clap::clap::clap:
Thanks a lot Jill :)

You have given your photos some very meaning full titles although I like all three - number one stands out for me I think due to the composition. :clap:
Thank you Ruth :)

Animal #7 really has something. The head on, low view and the movement in the wings are all spot on.
Thanks Nick :)
Pale is even more of a cheat than any of mine... good call! Love the colours & use of DOF.
Really :whistle: :D
I really like the way the paper tears away to nothing there, and the texture on the paper really pops out.
Cheers Nick, I sure was trying to get in as much detail as I could :)
Words #2 is the best of the bunch for me. Lovely sharp lettering, and the lighting on the stone. Good use of DOF and the best composition of the three.
Thanks again :)

Hi DK ....brilliant choice for Words my favourite for the theme, your shots and your comments have so much meaning in them, which is what Words are all about ...re: editing, sometimes it's not the perfection of the image but the message it conveys that counts, they brought a tear to my eye....love them.
Awwwe thanks Susie - glad you liked them that much :hug: :)

Right and onto this weeks... my idea sprang right to mind this morning and so with the weather so nice it was another trip to the seaside, I chose great Yarmouth as it's the closest for my idea, but in hindsight once I had visited 2 piers I wish I had gone a bit further to Southwold, but hey ho, gotta do with what you have...

So here we have different shots of two different piers, have always liked the work gone in to holding these mighty structures in place.

My efforts were quite restricted to say the least, bright sunshine, mid summer 25 degrees... children everywhere, sunbathers and me walking around with a big camera on a tri-pod :D

This first one I was trying to get as much emphasis on this individual support but also keep some interest in the rest of the shot with some diagonal lines... I think it works fine, and quite pleased that the blowing grass still kept a nice bit of detail :)

Wk 32 - Support

Wk 32 - Support by TP DK, on Flickr

This second shot, the sun was low and I was hoping for some shadows under the piers, but hey what a let down, unfortunately no timbers here either mostly steelwork, but still interesting, again I was trying to get as much detail as possible so tri-pod and long exposure, it was quite winy under there and with the soft the image is not as sharp as I was hoping for... hence second image :)

Wk 32 - Support 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for visiting guys :)

children everywhere, sunbathers and me walking around with a big camera on a tri-pod :D

Both good interpretations Dean But I think I'll go for #1 (y)

Back