weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Hi Emma. I wouldn't have a clue how to take the band shots but they look terrific to me with composition, lighting and focus. I really like the portrait - excellent composition, so nicely lit, beautifully sharp. :clap:
Thank you Carl :)

First one's just great, from the hard-at-it bassist to Amber's hemline o_O nice composition. :clap:

Not for the 52's ... but I'd be tempted to beef it up with Posterize or Comic Book effect for the album cover. ;)
Haha - I'll bear that in mind, David!

3 Great images Emma the portrait is the one for me though as it feels more personal but the 2 form the gig are excellent love the colours
Thank you Mark :)

Lovely shot! Right on theme for the topic!!
Thanks Richard :)

Hi, right on theme for me, can't choose a favourite, portrait is very good but they all work
Thanks Allan :)

Emma these are deeply personal to you, and so PERFECT for the theme.
Bravo!
Thanks Ruth :)

Another cracking shot Em...and yes, the little girl at the front is really going for it!
Very well caught.

REALLY liking this. Love the timing and the girl going for it at the front is just the icing on the cake. Kid with the tail is great too.

Gaz

I like that, a well captured moment. The two girls seem to be putting more effort in than the two boys :)

Certainly on theme :)
I can't currently get to the shot on flickr, so can't check camera / aperture, but if possible I would have gone with a shallower DoF to make the children pop more from the background as it is quite busy.

A fun and perfectly timed image. The children seem to enjoy themselves.
Thanks Stan - it was a great afternoon :)

Another cracking shot Em...and yes, the little girl at the front is really going for it!
Very well caught.
Thanks Viv - she was absolutely great!

REALLY liking this. Love the timing and the girl going for it at the front is just the icing on the cake. Kid with the tail is great too.

Gaz
Thanks Gary - our friends' boy in the dino suit found it really tricky - so definitely counts for effort, too!

I like that, a well captured moment. The two girls seem to be putting more effort in than the two boys :)
Thanks Steve - it's actually a boy in the dino suit, and a girl in grey...but you aren't the first to have thought otherwise!

Certainly on theme :)
I can't currently get to the shot on flickr, so can't check camera / aperture, but if possible I would have gone with a shallower DoF to make the children pop more from the background as it is quite busy.
I've fixed that now, Tim - I just wanted to get permission from the children's' parents before making it public on flickr. I agree about the background - I though f5 would do it, but I was obviously too far away from the subject. I softened the bg a little in PP, but couldn't go any further as it all began to look a bit fake.

Very good indeed, certainly a lot of effort from the girl at the front

Well caught Emma. Excellent action captured, particularly like the hair and the height of the first jumper. :clap:

Very good indeed, certainly a lot of effort from the girl at the front
She was fantastic - and kept it up for ages!

Well caught Emma. Excellent action captured, particularly like the hair and the height of the first jumper. :clap:
Thanks Carl - I had another where her hair was just about vertical, but the positions of the other jumpers weren't so good!

Last edited:
Very well done Emma, great timing and good interpretation of the theme. The kids couldn't have been better.

Like Susie said, the levitating girl looks great. Fab interpretation for the theme and well done getting them all in the air at the same time. Can't fault it.

Personal, I like the shot of her singing on her own, and well done for persevering (y) and I love the description of her voice :)

Emma, hi, really like the story behind the Personal images, I like the band shots the best. Skipping now that is effort. Good idea and well taken.

Great idea for the theme well caught I tend to agree with LC2 about the DOF but that is a very minor thing

Great image! The composition with the sizes of the kids and the corresponding night of the jumps is great! I like the crop with the long thin image working to lenghten the rope feel!

Very well done Emma, great timing and good interpretation of the theme. The kids couldn't have been better.
Thanks Chris - it was fun watching them trying to master the rope!

Smashing shot Emma perfect for the theme and the girl at the front is brilliant....it looks as if she's levitating.
Thanks Susie - she certainly had springs in her legs :)

Like Susie said, the levitating girl looks great. Fab interpretation for the theme and well done getting them all in the air at the same time. Can't fault it.

Personal, I like the shot of her singing on her own, and well done for persevering (y) and I love the description of her voice :)
Thanks so much, Jill.

Lovely, colourful shot for Effort, Emma, and the 'letterbox' style crop works well. They look like they're having great fun and your timing is great (y)
Thanks Andrea - they all had fun that day :)

Emma, hi, really like the story behind the Personal images, I like the band shots the best. Skipping now that is effort. Good idea and well taken.
Thanks, Lee :)

Good action shot Emma. Perfectly timed and well captured. Only tiny thing for me would be to have them slightly more facing you (the kids that is)... but otherwise great job :)
It would be nice to see more of their faces - something to think about another time.

Great idea for the theme well caught I tend to agree with LC2 about the DOF but that is a very minor thing
Thanks Mark - I agree with you about the dof.

Great image! The composition with the sizes of the kids and the corresponding night of the jumps is great! I like the crop with the long thin image working to lenghten the rope feel!
Thanks Richard :)

Nice capture. (y)
Thanks David.

Artificial - a fun shot I like that tongue and top match and I do like the crop.
Personal - A lovely set of pictures well done on the gig shots.
Effort - what a well timed shot well done and yes that little one is certainly putting a lot of effort in to it.

I think I had too much time on my hands this week to overthink things, being off work. I went through about 4 ideas I wasn't happy with - low key shots of technological toys, one of the local tertiary college... Yesterday I took William to the wonderful Science Centre at Herstmonceaux. There were lots of opportunities for shots there, but the dark conditions stretched my little d3200 (and me!) to our limits so a lot didn't come off. I suppose I could have wandered round with my ovresized reflector... ;) Anyway, I think this is the shot I'm happiest with - I put up a couple more to give a flavour of the place - well worth a visit if you're in the area with kids.

TP 52 Week 14 'Technology' by Em Jay, on Flickr

Climbing the double helix with one of the Herstmonceaux observatory towers in the background
double helix small.jpg

Einstein sculpture in front of observatory tower
einstein small.jpg

More fun and games
magnets small.jpg

Hi Emma. Some lovely shots in the set - like the composition in the double helix with the observatory in the bg and the magnetic earth with the look of engagement on William's face. The first is a good choice for the theme with those electric-like flashes - he looks quite awed too. :clap:

Nice set, I think the first is spot on for the theme, William's expression is perfect and I like the glow on his face, really captures the sense of wonder at newly discovered technology.

First one for me also you have captured his interest and fascination in the object

Technology- Great group of photos it looks like you had a good day. The one you have chosen is lovely the light and
he is clearly enthralled by the technology.

A couple of nice ones you have there Emma :)

Liking the long letterbox crop skipping, I used to be terrible at it myself, a damned lot of effort to keep going !!!

Technology, I just really love the first one myself, great position for the Focus, a good expression caught too, a look of fascination - Great photo :)

Hi Emma, liking these photos for the Technology theme, I like the first for the expression and the last because of the reflection in the ball.

I think the first shot is the right choice for the thread. A nicely composed shot which is nicely lit. The highlight of the hair and the reflection fro the screen make the image work well. I love using natural light but I right - there are lots of duffers!!

Hi Emma. Some lovely shots in the set - like the composition in the double helix with the observatory in the bg and the magnetic earth with the look of engagement on William's face. The first is a good choice for the theme with those electric-like flashes - he looks quite awed too. :clap:
Thanks Carl - there was certainly a lot to be awed by there :)

Nice set, I think the first is spot on for the theme, William's expression is perfect and I like the glow on his face, really captures the sense of wonder at newly discovered technology.
Thank you Chris - there was one shot where his hand movement created an effect where it seemed to be disappearing inside the flash - very cool, but the focus on his face was not quite there.

First one for me also you have captured his interest and fascination in the object
Thanks Allan - the vacuum chair operated by a Henry was his favourite - he went up and down for ages...but not such a good photo opportunity!

First one is a beaut. :clap:
Thanks David :)

Technology- Great group of photos it looks like you had a good day. The one you have chosen is lovely the light and
he is clearly enthralled by the technology.
Thanks minx - I like the light on his face, too.

A couple of nice ones you have there Emma :)

Liking the long letterbox crop skipping, I used to be terrible at it myself, a damned lot of effort to keep going !!!

Technology, I just really love the first one myself, great position for the Focus, a good expression caught too, a look of fascination - Great photo :)
Thanks so much for your comments DK - I'd definitely rather be behind the camera than tangled up in the skipping rope!

Hi Emma, liking these photos for the Technology theme, I like the first for the expression and the last because of the reflection in the ball.
Thank you Lee :)

Hi Emma some lovely images for technology I really like 1 and 4
Thanks Mark - the place definitely made it easy to get that look of engagement :)

I think the first shot is the right choice for the thread. A nicely composed shot which is nicely lit. The highlight of the hair and the reflection fro the screen make the image work well. I love using natural light but I right - there are lots of duffers!!
Thanks Richard - it was especially low light in that area of the museum - I was lucky to get anything!

Looks an amazing place Emma ....first shot is the one for me, perfect for the theme, and a super shot of you son.
It really is Susie - much smaller than the Science Museum in London, but just as hands on and without the crowds.

A busy week ahead so I tried to make shorter work of the theme this week. A wander about the farm where we live late this afternoon produced these three...indecisive as ever I've put them all in this thread, but please don't feel comments are needed on more than one! (or any at all obviously :p) I think the first fits the theme well as it only contains horizontal lines, and I like the organic nature of the lichen, too. I also like the bright colours of the water tank, and have shot this before but am never sure on the crop. Anyway - horizontal...farm style!

TP Week 15 'Horizontal' by Em Jay, on Flickr

water tank small.jpg motor small.jpg

Last edited:
Water tank without hesitation for me Emma. Love the patchwork and colours and rivets all make it an interesting abstract. :clap:

Number one for me Emma - love the simplicity of this one although they are all very good and bang on theme:clap:

Hi Emma,
Technology - Excellent shot, nice reflected light on your son's face and a good deliberate tight crop.
Of the other shots, I really like Magnetic Earth for the expression on his face.
Horizontal - I would say my favourite is the second shot. Technically perhaps not as horizontal as the first, but it really messes with my head with all the angles and colours. (y)

Water tank for me, too. Definitely the best of the bunch, though I do like the steps also (and the fact that I had to wonder what it was to begin with!).

Needs a little boost colour wise for my taste, but definitely the tank.

Three good shots for horizontal, I like the first personally, love the colour of the lichen, well seen

Back