Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

I like the second one really because I can see what they are. In a nice orderly row. Great Emma.:)

I like the first which is a really good take on the theme I think but find the background a bit to vibrant

Hi Emma

Song title's a cracker. The gulls stand out nicely against the grey BG.

Re Order ... I'd like to see #2 with focus on the FG doll. :thinking:

Last edited:
#1 for order, even though it makes my head hurt. Great idea!

Interesting interpretation of the theme :) makes my head feel like it's spinning.

#1 for the theme for me. Seems we had the same idea, I had similar issues with the lighting when I tried using flash/torches etc.

#1 is how my eyes behave normally :eek:, that's what proper double vision looks like. As for #2 I'd prefer tham all to be in focus but well done for perservering with them Emma (y)

week 1 I think for me it has to be the second shot for me, looks more ordered to me, I also like where you have chosen to place your main area of focus, I do feel that the pink background is a overpowering.

I like the shot with the movement too Emma, gives it a kind of abstract feel.
To get the other image to work, I think you would need to do some focus stacking, as to my eyes, you would want sharp focus front to back.

I like both but I just can't look at the first shot for any longer than a couple of second.

#1 for order, even though it makes my head hurt. Great idea!

Interesting interpretation of the theme :) makes my head feel like it's spinning.

#1 for the theme for me. Seems we had the same idea, I had similar issues with the lighting when I tried using flash/torches etc.

Eeek, makes me go dizzy :)

like it, though, well taken.

Cheers.
Sorry folks - I'll try for something less eye straining this week :oops: :$

I like the second one really because I can see what they are. In a nice orderly row. Great Emma.:)

Hi Emma

Song title's a cracker. The gulls stand out nicely against the grey BG.

Re Order ... I'd like to see #2 with focus on the FG doll. :thinking:

#1 is how my eyes behave normally :eek:, that's what proper double vision looks like. As for #2 I'd prefer tham all to be in focus but well done for perservering with them Emma (y)

week 1 I think for me it has to be the second shot for me, looks more ordered to me, I also like where you have chosen to place your main area of focus, I do feel that the pink background is a overpowering.

I like the shot with the movement too Emma, gives it a kind of abstract feel.
To get the other image to work, I think you would need to do some focus stacking, as to my eyes, you would want sharp focus front to back.
I like the first which is a really good take on the theme I think but find the background a bit to vibrant
Thanks all. I tried a few different areas of focus, and one with them all in focus but I preferred this. I felt it made my eye travel more through the shot. I also tried a silly number of backgrounds. The scarf they were on is actually red, but I think it might be too bright in the finished shot. I was too bothered by the reflections to notice I think!

Last edited:
Colour of the scarf are fabulous Emma - #1 without any hesitation. Beautifully sharp detail in the eyes - love it.

Can't make my mind up between the first two i like them both, a really brilliant portrait :clap:

Colour of the scarf are fabulous Emma - #1 without any hesitation. Beautifully sharp detail in the eyes - love it.
Thank you so much Carl - it took a lot of trial and error to get the focus on the eyes! The scarf was a present from my lovely stepdad - it make me feel very Tom Baker :)

Can't make my mind up between the first two i like them both, a really brilliant portrait :clap:
Thank you Allan - that's really kind. It's been a long time since I tried a selfie...I felt a bit of a prat prancing round our garden taking photos of myself, so I'm glad it wasn't a complete disaster!

You've done a great job with focusing that can be very difficult with the selfie I know from experience.

Really well composed the eyes really draw me into the photograph and the Hat and scarf really frame your eyes. Lovely detail. Of the three it's number one for me, because I like the bright colours. The best one so far of all the submission in my opinion.

Cheers.

wooo top model, great colourful winter woollies. Fills the frame nicely too.

The eyes always draw you in to any picture and you have done that perfectly. I think I prefer the B&W out of the 3, the colours in the hat and scarf are very pleasing but this shot is all about the eyes. (y)(y)(y)

Love your comfort photo, it really is good, first one for me, I don't think it needs anything else but I also think the cross-processed version works.

First image for me.The models eyes are worthy of shoot on their own - stunning electricity in them......

Number 1 for me. Great colours in the scarf and such depth to the eyes.

Number 2 again I love the eyes. They really draw you in but I think it is a close second to the first.

Number 3 I agree the scarf looks really good but I don't think it quite works for the rest of the image

Love song, plenty going on in the frame. I agree the bird on the left looking down adds something to it. Lovely colours, composition and atmosphere.

Order. Ouch my brain... Were you at your smallest aperture on the non abstract shot or could you have increased DOF more without degrading IQ too much? (Or was this your aim?) Personally I would have preferred it compressed more with a longer focal length (200+) or emphasised using a UWA. merely personal taste though. Nice idea :)

Comfort - all I can say is very cliche but we are all guilty of committing the sin of cliche. Anyone denying that is lying. I'm really bad for it :) good to play about with different things for a change even if it has be done to death. Who cares. Bet they will have been put to the test this week. Christ it's cold.

I think they're all great, but if I had to pick one it'd be #3. The eyes are really great in this conversion.

Superb Emma.
Fantastic detail in the eyes (y)
Imposing image that owns the frame.
Great colours.
And then you added a cross process version too boot :)

If I were being uber picky, the lighting on the nose may be a little bright (but that might be my screen, if I change the contrast (tilting the screen on my laptop seems to be the only way) I can clearly see detail there).

:clap:

Love the 1st one, what beautiful blue eyes your model has, great shot and bang on theme :)
Thanks Dave - that's very kind. I'll let her know ;)

You've done a great job with focusing that can be very difficult with the selfie I know from experience.

Really well composed the eyes really draw me into the photograph and the Hat and scarf really frame your eyes. Lovely detail. Of the three it's number one for me, because I like the bright colours. The best one so far of all the submission in my opinion.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy - that's lovely feedback :) I used my spare tripod to focus on, but it was still pretty hit and miss!

wooo top model, great colourful winter woollies. Fills the frame nicely too.
Haha - cheers David :) My stepdad has very good taste on the woollies front!

The eyes always draw you in to any picture and you have done that perfectly. I think I prefer the B&W out of the 3, the colours in the hat and scarf are very pleasing but this shot is all about the eyes. (y)(y)(y)
Thank you very much - there's something I like about the b&w too :)

Love your comfort photo, it really is good, first one for me, I don't think it needs anything else but I also think the cross-processed version works.
Thank you Chris - the cross processed is very instagram - but it has something I think.

Wow !!! now that fist one is a stunning image, lovely colours, fantastic focus and them blue eyes are tough to look away from, real nice photo (y)
Thank you Dean that's the 'extra hard Paddington stare' I give the kids at school ;)

First image for me.The models eyes are worthy of shoot on their own - stunning electricity in them......
Thank you Mark - that's very kind. I think I'm a bit selfied out for the moment though!

Number 1 for me. Great colours in the scarf and such depth to the eyes.

Number 2 again I love the eyes. They really draw you in but I think it is a close second to the first.

Number 3 I agree the scarf looks really good but I don't think it quite works for the rest of the image
Thank you Mike - I think the first two are my favourites too.

Love song, plenty going on in the frame. I agree the bird on the left looking down adds something to it. Lovely colours, composition and atmosphere.

Order. Ouch my brain... Were you at your smallest aperture on the non abstract shot or could you have increased DOF more without degrading IQ too much? (Or was this your aim?) Personally I would have preferred it compressed more with a longer focal length (200+) or emphasised using a UWA. merely personal taste though. Nice idea :)

Comfort - all I can say is very cliche but we are all guilty of committing the sin of cliche. Anyone denying that is lying. I'm really bad for it :) good to play about with different things for a change even if it has be done to death. Who cares. Bet they will have been put to the test this week. Christ it's cold.
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. Tbh the dof on order was pretty much what I had in my head. I did try a few different apertures, but the distance I was able to get from the bg was the main problem in stopping down more I was getting too much detail in the scarf I was using. I never thought about varying focal length - I've never really experimented with the effect it has - must give that a go. I was using my 105 macro, but do have a Tamron 70 - 300. What's UWA? I've googled to no effect!

Hi Emma ...I love it ...a spot on top notch shot, definitely the first one, your eyes are beautiful. I was thinking of asking my daughter in law to pose for me one day to try one like this, hope it's as successful as yours.
Thank you so much Susie - that's very kind. Focussing on my eyes was my main problem in this one...and finding light and an expression that didn't accentuate the wrinkles too much!!

I think they're all great, but if I had to pick one it'd be #3. The eyes are really great in this conversion.
Thanks Dominic - I haven't really experimented with filters too much, but it was fun trying them out.

Superb Emma.
Fantastic detail in the eyes (y)
Imposing image that owns the frame.
Great colours.
And then you added a cross process version too boot :)

If I were being uber picky, the lighting on the nose may be a little bright (but that might be my screen, if I change the contrast (tilting the screen on my laptop seems to be the only way) I can clearly see detail there).

:clap:
Thanks Tim - that's lovely feedback. You're right about the light on the nose - it wasn't blown in LR but after uploading I thought it looked a bit bright too. And I spotted a hair and some lint on the scarf that are driving me mad now..isn't it always the way?!

Last edited:
Great portrait, great sharpness and details. I prefer the original version.

Fantastic shot, Em. As far as selfies go, that's excellent and most certainly on topic for this week so another thumbs up there.

Lovely colours in the scarf as has been said and the eyes sharper than a sharp thing drawing me in. Much better than my selfie attempt I think....so much so I'll need to have another attempt [emoji39]

Very well done.

Number one for myself, the colour of your eyes compliment the colours of the scarf and hat, so very comfortable.:)

UWA -ultra wide angle. Sorry for being a proper nerrrrd.

Between 14 and 28 mm.

For comfort I prefer the original colour shot :)

Cheers
Earl

Fantastic shot, Em. As far as selfies go, that's excellent and most certainly on topic for this week so another thumbs up there.

Lovely colours in the scarf as has been said and the eyes sharper than a sharp thing drawing me in. Much better than my selfie attempt I think....so much so I'll need to have another attempt [emoji39]

Very well done.
Thank you Ian - you're a brave man! I think I'm selfied out for a while ;)

Week 2 a great set of images to choose from, the first one for me, excellent detail in the eyes. Simply fantastic job, nice colours and looks very comfy to me so fits the theme nicely.
Thank you Mandy :)

Number one for myself, the colour of your eyes compliment the colours of the scarf and hat, so very comfortable.:)
Thanks Shirley - they really are!

UWA -ultra wide angle. Sorry for being a proper nerrrrd.

Between 14 and 28 mm.

For comfort I prefer the original colour shot :)

Cheers
Earl
Aha - that makes sense. The widest I have is my kit lens at 18-55. Thanks for the feedback :)

Back