weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2020 - Week 4 - Discarded

GarethB

Likes to peek
Name
I don't even know anymore!
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Glad to see you on board again Gareth. Really looking forward to seeing what you produce this year.

Week 1 - Local Interest - Silhouette Technique

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

Here is my first entry in the 2020 52 challenge.

It's a windmill...in Norfolk!:giggle:
Or to be more precise, it's the St. Benets Level drainage mill, located near St Benets Abbey on the river Thurne.
By road it's about 5 or 6 miles from my house, or by boat about a mile, so it qualifies as local...right?:D

I went today to photograph a different mill at sunset (The arguably more popular and photogenic Thurne Mill), but the sun was all wrong, so I settled for this one which is only a few hundred metres away up river.
I was hoping for something spectacular to happen with the sky, and I wasn't disappointed!
The longer I waited, the better the sky became.
These two images were taken shortly before I left - the first image was taken a few minutes later than the second, and was the last image I took before the cold became too much!
It was ruddy freezing out there, so I couldn't leave it any later, which was a shame, because the sky really looked spectacular a short time after I left.
Still, these turned out quite well.

TP-52-2020 wk-1 - Local Interest - Silhouette Technique 2
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

TP-52-2020 wk-1 - Local Interest - Silhouette Technique 1

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Last edited:
Really nice images Gareth. For me it's No1, the way you've put the sun behind the mill really works well and sitting it on the 1/3rd is bang on. Great composition, great light, great colour, just fantastic.

Really lovely shots. My favourite is the first one too. The sun is perfectly positioned behind the windmill, and as Jim said - great composition.

A very nice pair Gareth. (y)
Personally its #1 for me, and I think you could get away with croping the sun out #2 as it pulls my eyes away from the main subject.
Obviously that buggers up the rule of thirds, but hey, rules were meant to be broken :D

Last edited:
No. 1 for me too, great composition and perfect for the silhouette with no interference leading you straight to the point of the image. Lovely shot, and hope you warmed up soon afterwards.

That's really lovely Gareth and I prefer the first pic too. I like the composition and the position of the windmill in the frame.

Looks great on Flickr.

It's the first photo for me, I like the isolation. Good silhouette too. The sun is in just the right place.

Love that. The position of the sun the tone of the sky excellent shot. the second shot is great too.

Lovely, I prefer the first, the position of the sun works better. :) Great stuff as always.

No. 1 definitely for me - excellent start.

Fab sillywets Gareth :)

Great photo, well done for catching the sun right behind the windmill!

No 1 for me Gareth, but I do like the trees in no2. You are lucky to have such great local interest.

Pete

@FlyPhot @Bebop @Cobra @weebleswobble @CliveH @Manxmaid @Shugpug @Dave70D @Cloudforest @Robw_uk @LC2 @Nostromo @minx @rick448 @BobBCN @Daysleeper40 @-Oy- @brrnd @Downton Mini @seaodyssey @Scots_quine

Wow!
Thank you so much everyone for all the great comments!
That escalated quickly!!:LOL:

[**Deep Breath**]

Really nice images Gareth. For me it's No1, the way you've put the sun behind the mill really works well and sitting it on the 1/3rd is bang on. Great composition, great light, great colour, just fantastic.

Thank you kindly Jim, greatly appreciated!(y)

Really lovely shots. My favourite is the first one too. The sun is perfectly positioned behind the windmill, and as Jim said - great composition.

Many thanks Bebop...it took a couple of attempts to get it just right....blimming sun kept fidgeting around and ruining it!!:LOL:

A very nice pair Gareth. (y)
Personally its #1 for me, and I think you could get away with croping the sun out #2 as it pulls my eyes away from the main subject.
Obviously that buggers up the rule of thirds, but hey, rules were meant to be broken :D

Thank you Chris, most appreciated!
Yes, I agree with you about the sun in #2...it is somewhat 'right heavy on the light'...if that's even a phrase!!:LOL:
I didn't notice when I took the photograph, but if you look closely at the upper right hand sail (image #2), there's a bird waiting for takeoff clearance!!
I pixel-peeped it in PS and thought I'd bung it in anyway...as a surprise!!:LOL:

No. 1 for me too, great composition and perfect for the silhouette with no interference leading you straight to the point of the image. Lovely shot, and hope you warmed up soon afterwards.

Thank you most kindly Donna!(y)
Luckily I was out with me Ma...she sat in the car and kept the heater on full blast!
There's no feeling quite like a nice, toasty warm car after being out in the frozen wastes of deepest, darkest Norfolk!!:LOL:
(Maybe that's a tiny exaggeration!!:LOL:)

That's a beauty!

Thank you very much Clive, I certainly appreciate the kind comment!(y)

Really lovely images, Gareth! I especially like the golden tones in the sky; it looks like a spectacular sunset. I just prefer #1 because of the way you have positioned the windmill in front of the sun but they are both really lovely :clap:

Thank you most kindly Andrea!(y)
It was spectacular indeed, and became more so as evening approached.
I think I would have taught my Mum a few new words if I had stayed out in it for much longer however!!:LOL:
(She stayed in the car with the heater going...bless her!!:LOL:)

Number 1is a cracker!

Many thanks Shugpug, I really appreciate the time taken to look and comment!(y)

#1 for me too Gareth, a beautifully taken shot and liking the whole image plus agree on the crop out the sun on the #2 shot.

Thank you kindly Dave!(y)
Yes, the sun is a little bright on #2....who'd have thunk it?!:LOL:

That's really lovely Gareth and I prefer the first pic too. I like the composition and the position of the windmill in the frame.

Looks great on Flickr.

Many thanks Pete!(y)
God bless Flickr!!:LOL:

Oh very nice... The orange and black combination is perfect

Thank you very much Robert, for looking and commenting, most appreciated!(y)

#1 Gareth, for your positioning of the sun. Excellent.
#2 works too, but #1 kills it (y)

Thank you kindly Tim!(y)
After a few failed attempts, I had to set up and anticipate the sun...ruddy thing kept moving!!
Bloody sun!!:LOL:

It's the first photo for me, I like the isolation. Good silhouette too. The sun is in just the right place.

Thank you Dominic, for the kind comment, most appreciated!(y)

Love that. The position of the sun the tone of the sky excellent shot. the second shot is great too.

Thank you very much Alison for taking the time to look and comment!(y)

Lovely, I prefer the first, the position of the sun works better. :) Great stuff as always.

Many thanks Rick!(y)
I really appreciate the positive comment!

Excellent start Gareth. Number 1 all the way.

Many thanks Bob!(y)
[**Chalks up another mark for #1**]
Not that I'm keeping score that is!:LOL:

No. 1 definitely for me - excellent start.

Thank you most kindly Fi!(y)
Really appreciate the kind comment!

Fab sillywets Gareth :)

Thank you Dave, most appreciated!(y)
'Silly-cold' more like!!:LOL:

Great photo, well done for catching the sun right behind the windmill!

Many thanks Bernd, for taking the time to look and comment, most appreciated!(y)

Great set of images Gareth No 1 for me.

Thank you Mark, I really appreciate the positive comment!(y)

No 1 for me Gareth, but I do like the trees in no2. You are lucky to have such great local interest.

Pete

Many thanks Pete, most appreciated!(y)
I've usually felt that Norfolk landscapes are difficult at best, what with there being no mountains or even hills round here.
I should try harder I guess...but I don't like the cold!
Mind you, to assure there's no people in the images, perhaps the cold weather is the best time!!:LOL:

Great image in number 1. Excellent start Gareth!

Thank you most Kindly Joan, most appreciated!(y)

Well, it looks like a clean sweep for #1....shame 'cos there was a prize for everyone that picked #2!!:LOL:

That's a beautiful picture, the sun behind the windmill is perfect

A brilliant shot to start your Challenge this year, Gareth. I prefer the first image with the sun behind the windmill for that perfect silhouette shot. Looks like the sun in #2 is blown and too far near the edge for my liking but it doesn't mean its wrong in anyway.

Thank you very much Stan for the kind comment!(y)
Indeed, you're right, the sun is blown in #2...I went all out for framing the mill with the trees, and forgot about the exposure!:sorry:
I forgot to say in my original post that I used a 10-stop filter too...so that's double-whammy failure on #2!!:LOL:

That's a beautiful picture, the sun behind the windmill is perfect

Many thanks Mark, I really appreciate the positive comment!(y)

Week 2 - Pleasure(able)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

It is my pleasure to introduce you to my image for the 'Pleasure(able)' theme!

This is a photograph of the (closed for the winter) amusement park called 'Pleasure Beach' in Great Yarmouth.

For those that have been to Gt Yarmouth, you may understand the irony of this image!!:LOL:

Maybe that's a bit cruel though!:sorry:

Anyway, this is the rollercoaster at the Pleasure Beach park, and is quite an historic structure, dating back to 1932.
It's also known as the 'Scenic Railway'.
It has a wooden construction, and is one of only two remaining rollercoasters in the UK that requires a 'brakeman' to control the speed.

It is the second tallest and the second fastest wooden rollercoaster in the UK, and is a grade II listed building.

Link to the wiki page.

Fun bit of trivia - remember the band Madness?
More specifically their song 'House of Fun'?
Well the scenes near the end of the video (featuring the band on a rollercoaster) were shot on this very rollercoaster in 1982!

I tried it in colour and b&w...not sure which is 'best'!
(And I straightened the verticals slightly too)

TP-52-2020 wk-2 - Pleasure(able) 1

...and now b&w...

TP-52-2020 wk-2 - Pleasure(able) 2

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Well seen and taken Gareth, I do love a wooden coaster!

Thank you kindly Clive. most appreciated!(y)
The b&w seems a little dark now...not sure if it's my monitor... it could well be - I remember having an awful time trying to calibrate it a while ago.

Hi Gareth,

I remember that from over 25years ago, We much preferred Gorleston-on-Sea at that time with my girls being young. So Many places I haven't been back too..:D:D:D

I don't have a preference for the colour or B&W version, they both work well. Is that a monorail cut off at the top?
Good tones/details in the sky. Nice one for the theme.

Pete

My original idea is also a Pleasure Fun Park and like yours, it is closed for the winter and they also removed the cars from the fairly wheel for maintenance.

Looking at the two images, I prefer the colour vision a tack more. Image wise I think there is a better angle but not having been there I just don't know. I find the post on the right and the two lamp posts on the left a bit of a distraction.

Back