Granddad John's 52 in 2018

Ha, great idea and faultless execution (y)

Match

That's a nicely exposed pear (pair) you've got there.
Good light, with just enough shadow.

John

Straight, On theme, colours could be improved to improve. Some of the bottom could be cropped out.

Unattractive, Rape Seed, unattractive smell (a bit like burning plastic) not good if you are driving about in a glassfibre bodied open top car.

Shadow, Nice set of shadows.
Bueatiful, not to me, I don't like mushy aubergines. But the Image is nice apart from the smokey bit by the BBQ. 2nd veiw, only half a glass of wine ?
3rd Image shows why taking photos near midday is not good. Maybe up the contrast a bit.

Low, interesting Image, where is it? somewhere hot.

Match, a nice pair of pears you have. well exposed, nice clean background.

Pete

Week 21 hard headed. Only a few statues in the local graveyard and they all seemed have broken noses, so settled for hard headed rather than hard nosed.:D Loved the lichen and how the green moss/algae semed confined to the face.

untitled-0446-2
by granddad john on Talk Photography

It's good to focus in on her head and pick up all the lichen detail. (y)

Nice close crop - I like it.

music - #2 for me, a bit of context is in this case quite helpful. And I like the "Do not feed the ducks" sign with a rat on it...
hard - great crop, nice colours and textures!

Week 22 Creatures. Tried bees on flowers; too windy. Tried pheasant; wouldn't look at the camera. Tried our hedgehog; determinedly facing away from the flash, so finally this little fella who didn't seem to mind at all.:)

Remarkably I'm up to date (Quantity not quality anyway) I'll do some commenting this evening. Is it Thursday yet? :D

untitled-1020431

Hi John,

Hard - As you say, it is interesting that the moss/lichen is only on the face. Less exposed perhaps?
It certainly does help define the features.
Since Dr Who, it's hard to look at these without trying not to blink!

Creature - Thanks for posting something un bug like ;)
I'm guessing you didn't use flash on this chap - it does feel like you had harsh mid-day lighting.
He's quite still, did you manage to get any with him in action?

Hard - I like this shot. It has great detail and I also like the moss/lichen on the face. I would have preferred her face a little more central in the frame (horizontally) as there seems to be quite a bit more space on the right.

Creature - Nice to see something unbugish. But as Tim says, the lighting does seem very harsh, and the top of his back seems to get a bit lost in the background above him. Perhaps a slightly closer crop keeping the wood, but getting rid of some of the fencing would help. But I'd keep the wood as its got some great detail in it.

Ross

Thanks guys, Yes it was a bit of a snapshot with the compact so quality not so good. However as you say at least it's not a bug:D

Week 23 A lot of synthetic lycra here. The OVO Women's tour flashed through here today. Managed to get a few shots which proves I'll never make a sports phog:):cool: It was all over in about 30secs, apparently the base speed was 38kph:eek:

untitled-0475

untitled-0479

Finally, a longer shot of the field of 150 riders from all over the world.

untitled-0480

Last edited:
Lots of Lycra fo sho :)

John

Music, Image 2 tells a bit more of the story. Was it "Stomping Dave" the chap who was not there.

Hard, I like the way the head is covered in green, makes it stand out, other wise it would have been a bit flat.

Creatures, focus is nearly on the eye, same as other have said about the light.

Synthectic, I prefer the closer Image, shutter speed has stopped the impression of speed as the spokes all look static.

Pete

Synthectic, I prefer the closer Image, shutter speed has stopped the impression of speed as the spokes all look static.
Thanks for commenting Pete. I did get a couple at slower S/S but they came out blurred due to speed these women were going, and I was a bit too close I think as they took that bend. Even at 1/750 there is some movement blur in these;)

Hi John, a catch-up from me :)

Match - good idea and nice colourful subjects on a clean background with shadows to ground them. Perfect!
Music - I think the second one looks better as the wider scene gives more context. The background items creeping into the first make it a bit untidy but #2 tells the story better, especially with the cap for money in the foreground and the way he is looking at the instrument.
Hard - good choice of subject, with an interesting expression and lots of lovely colours and textures.
Creatures - lucky you! He looks like he's posing for you :)
Synthetic - good idea and there's certainly lots of lycra on show there. My favourite is #3 as it best shows the sweep of riders as they come towards you and turn. I know how fast they travel so you have done well to get three good and colourful images.

#2 for me, but really I think you would have been better a yard or two to your left, giving you the opportunity to pan, whilst still keeping the pink house in the background.
The inside of the curve would have made panning a lot easier, but from the shadows, you would have been shooting into the sun.

Thanks guys for all the comments. It got a bit crowded on that bend and having staked my spot early on( yes a foot or two left would have been better !) I didn't like to move for fear of losing it. Interetsing chats with cylists who'd come out to watch and the photog from the local paper so a good experience really.

So Week 24 Rural life. This lovely old building dates from the 1850s. Apparently the Victorian businessman who gave it to his workers was obsessed with Swiss/Austrian countryside

tp23-0490-2

Last edited:
'sfunny you should say the original owner had a fascination with Swiss/Austrian countryside. My first thought was 'that's very Swiss' (my second thought with the angle and banking was 'was that an old railway halt somewhere?').

The angle used lets it stand out from the background, with the sky being bright. Some of the clouds a bit blown, possibly recoverable from the RAW?

Nice find :)

Interesting history ... but I find the image slightly drab and depressing :eek:

Back