weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

A catch-up from me as it's my first visit for a few weeks, John.

Minimalist was a great choice of subject, lovely subtle tones and soft light, and I think both versions work well.
Progress - original idea and well composed.
Pleasure - wow, what a brave little thing, and what a thrill for you to have him venture inside like that. My favourite is the second one as it definitely looks as though he's eyeing the TV and there's just a hint of motion in the wings.
Face - well-spotted to find two faces in the scene, although my favourite is that lovely blue and gold clock face.
Agriculture - both images are perfect for the theme but my favourite has to be #1 with the low POV and that lovely bold red.
Graceful - yes, it's the first thing I thought of too and I found a couple of swans but the background and surface was too distracting so I opted for something else. Yours stands out nicely against the dark background, you've got a lovely full reflection and controlled the highlights too (y)

Two super images, John, but it's #1 for me too. The colours are warmer and, although I like those lines in the second one, there's a strong 'before and after' edge in the crops in the first one too, and it just seems to have more impact with the machine filling more of the frame. Lovely undulations in the field, too (y)

I like the first combine harvester shot, nice seeing it coming up hill like that.

You're probably not the only one to think Chess Piece but you've done it and done it very well indeed. Nice placement, lighting and focus. (y)

Piece is nicely done with the diagonal squares leading into the chess piece, good lighting and DoF

Piece is my pic of the week John, I think thats a cracking shot.
The warmth of the weood, the lighting, the subject, everything.

#1 for your vehicle shot, is it driverless or have they gone for a tea break

Piece
i had thought about doing a chess piece, but don't have any (so that was that out of the window). Looks like you've done a damn fine job with this, nice and sharp, a good pov and a great black bg.

#1 for your vehicle shot, is it driverless or have they gone for a tea break

Yep they'd pushed off somewhere or I don't think I'd have gone in the field with it:eek: Thanks re the piece. I had a problem with the bg and the light but PS and Levels came to the rescue:)

Hi John,
Graceful - Nice bit of contrast and reflection and bang on theme.
Fruit - Of the 2 shots, the second, because of the greater contrast.
Agriculture - #2 for me, the colours in #1 seem a little un-natural, though the sky in #2 isn't the greatest (but you have to work with what you have for shots like this).
Piece - Nice use of shallow DoF with the pawn working well as the focal point. Good strong black background too.

Graceful - Lovely shot nice background and reflection.
Fruit - Both lovely shots I like the shine on the apples in the second shot
Agriculture - I like the first shot better with the warmer crop colour.
Piece - I like the low Pov and the colours
Contrast - right on theme, not sure about the background though
Vehicle Re-shoot - nice old boat nice reflection

Hi John,

The salt & pepper pots work well for Contrast, and that's a good clean unintrusive background which allows them to stand out. Have you considered a square crop?
The Transport re-shoot on the other hand needs the portrait orientation you've given it. Lovely reflections too. (y)

Contrast - nice choice for the theme and a good suggestion by Tim as I think the square format works very well. Are they salt and pepper shakers?

Vehicle - nice reflection.

Contrast - nice choice for the theme and a good suggestion by Tim as I think the square format works very well. Are they salt and pepper shakers?

Yes Steve they are salt and pepper pots - never used of course as they keep falling over. I found them on the kitchen shelf when searching for inspiration. The square format is much better isn't it. Thanks again Tim

Hi John, Bit of a catch up from me. got so far behind with everyone and had to get in the right mood for getting it done:D

Agriculture - 2 for me on this one, I like to see the whole row with the lovely old caravan at the end.
Graceful - Good close up and a nice reflection too
Fruit - 2 for me again. I prefer the composition on this one with the apples sharp in the foreground blurring into the rest of the tree behind. They look just ready to eat.
Vehicle - 1 this time, I like the close up of the combine coming up the hill and the colour is better to, the wheat looks nice and golden in this one. Would have been great for an agriculture reshoot too
Piece - Really like this. The dof works well and I like the black bg
Contrast - Good choice with the salt & pepper pots. I do prefer the second version. I think the square crop suits it better

:D

Away from home this week looking after grandkids, who are definitely not clean:) So just managed to squeeze this one in before the deadline. Highlights and reflections are a bit messy but no LR to play with up here.:(

tp _52 33-1010990
by granddad john on Talk Photography

That is one full dishwasher :LOL:
I don't think the highlights or reflections are particularly bad or distracting.

Plenty of curves there,well spotted with a nice bit of sunlight creeping in.

Back