LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Engine for me too, different take on the theme and very bare-bones.

The engine shot! A very different take on the theme.

Hi Tim,

Transport - it had to be a train for you :) Thanks for the info about the name as well, I know nothing about trains but it's nice to learn new facts. Nicely composed, I even like the OOF plant in the foreground.

Broken - Good to see something different, I've never had a go at pinhole photos, will have to look up how to go about it. It certainly has a different feel to it and I like it, especially with the subject and the theme.

Minimal - It's a subject I struggled with even though I generally enjoy minimalistic shots. You have two interesting takes on the theme and I go for the second one, not minimalistic in the sense I would have thought of but a good interpretation non the less. I like the framing,especially with the number across the top. The shadows feel a little dark to me but that could be my monitor.
I deliberately kept the numbering in shot as I thought it added something to the image, also using the tank and front mudguards as framing devices.
I left the barrel quite dark as that's how it looked on the day (there was scope to bring the shadows up more).

Of the two shots I like both Tim, my choice is the engine showing how small it is :)

Love the engine shot, the beauty of ring dings is their simplicity.....

Engine for me too, different take on the theme and very bare-bones.

The engine shot! A very different take on the theme.
Thanks everyone. Seems I was right to go with the engine as an alternative, but valid take on the theme.

The engine/motor is a good/different take on Minimalistic ... interesting too.

More retro gear in that Progress offering ... pigeon too.

:D

Love it :), made me smile (y)
:agree: that pigeon he's a character :wacky:
That's a nice one, cool idea!
Agree with the above, a cool shot :)
Nicely done Tim, a great idea and a picture that works really well,
Great choice for Progress, Tim. Lots of interesting items and well spotted.
Cheers all. i was a bit worried about how cluttered it was, but it doesn't seem to have marred your enjoyment of it.

Clever idea for Progress but the pigeon doesn't look real!
Er no, I can catagorically state it was a real plastic pigeon :)

Progress took me a moment...lol... rather amusing tbh (y)
But did you spot the Bren Gun ?

The engine/motor is a good/different take on Minimalistic ... interesting too.

More retro gear in that Progress offering ... pigeon too.

:D
Cheers David. I wanted something different for minimalistic and I think it worked.

Hi Tim,

Minimalistic - Like this shot bang on theme and like the compo.

Progress - another shot bang on theme and conveys the topic well.
Ta Nigel. I thought that the composition on Minimalistic worked well like that too :)

Week 24 - Pleasure(able)

Temperatures at the Circuit de la Sarthe were about 4 or 5 degrees above London this past weekend, it was the hottest Le Mans 24Hrs that I've been to.
Other than watching the racing, this shot demonstrates the single most pleasurable activity on site over the weekend (even at 8 euros per pint).

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 24 : Pleasure(able)
by Tim White, on Flickr

8 Euros a pint
yikes.gif
that's not very pleasurable :) but I'm sure le Mans was. Nice capture of the moment with the stadium/pit? in the background

It certainly says pleasure in this weather, do you have to watch the whole 24 hours, that would scare me more than the 8 euro rip off

Nice not too blurred background that shows where the action happens, my you could have used a tiny bit of fill flash on that "pint" glass. They probably have short-changed you on the quantity too, Europe being metric and all...

... nice sense of "being there" as those kind of shots always do. (y)

Nice not too blurred background that shows where the action happens, my you could have used a tiny bit of fill flash on that "pint" glass. They probably have short-changed you on the quantity too, Europe being metric and all...
You're right on both counts :)

... nice sense of "being there" as those kind of shots always do. (y)
That was the idea, not bluring out the background so much that you couldn't make it out.

Nice and atmospheric shot Tim, I like that.
Ta Mark

I've always fancy going to Le Mans one year, but €8 a pint may just put me off. ;) Nice idea for the theme, watching motor racing sure is a pleasurable past-time.
We've made it to 4 of the last 5, it's a bit cheaper than what we used to do (Banger rallies like The Crumball)

I am not sure this is working as a tilt shift I have never attempted one but those I see are usually from an overhead view,
how it works for me is it looks like the kind of train you would put together as a child all those different carriages

When I first saw it I couldn't make up my mind whether it was a model or the real thing, the backgorund says real but the train says model asn as Alllan says the mix of trucks is the sort of thing that would be found on a model. Anyway I think it's nicely done.

I am not sure this is working as a tilt shift I have never attempted one but those I see are usually from an overhead view,
how it works for me is it looks like the kind of train you would put together as a child all those different carriages
Agreed, most TS effect shots tend to be of the looking down variety, but I think the effect works where you have a significant horizontal subject (so ideal for trains ;) )

When I first saw it I couldn't make up my mind whether it was a model or the real thing, the backgorund says real but the train says model asn as Alllan says the mix of trucks is the sort of thing that would be found on a model. Anyway I think it's nicely done.
So it worked then :) The smoke kind of gives it away though.

It's interesting that you both think the mix of trucks is toy train like.
I agree, it is the kind of thing you would see on a train set, but until 1962, British Railways ran under 'common carrier obligation', due to the Rail and Canal Traffic Act of 1854.
This means that the railways were obliged to carry any and all goods offered to them. Firms often used their own rolling stock, so on branch lines, you really did get an eclectic mix of wagons.

Not sure I'd have guessed it was TS but I can see it now ... very colourful.

Not sure I'd have guessed it was TS but I can see it now ... very colourful.
Surely the blur and vibrance gives it away :)

Nicely done Tim, you have done real well doing that by hand, the nice vivid colours really add a toy look, like it (y)
It's actually not that hard to do, and once you get the hang of it, I doubt you'd bother with dedicated filters / plugins

Amusing take on the theme, looks a little like the piano is leaning left/forward, not sure why but stands out well against the background

Nice take on the subject mate. I like train photo too, but Progress is amazingly captured!

I like the effect on the train shot, really does make it look like a toy :)

Back