weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

A handsome horse indeed, both images work for the theme but the horse is my favourite

Hi Andrea, I won't go right back as I'm so far behind but I must say I love your photo of the apples, really lovely composition they look delicious.
I like the idea of showing off some local traditions and your Vehicle does that perfectly, we have some old family links to the Isle of Man so it's always of interest. Keith is a beauty, I'm sure he'd love your portrait :)

yo Andrea

Graceful ... Like the way the light & slow shutter speed makes the water stand out.

Fruit ... just great, pin sharp.

Vehicle ... love the feeling of movement but without the blur.

A handsome horse indeed, both images work for the theme but the horse is my favourite

Thanks, Allan. Mine too :D

Hi Andrea, I won't go right back as I'm so far behind but I must say I love your photo of the apples, really lovely composition they look delicious.
I like the idea of showing off some local traditions and your Vehicle does that perfectly, we have some old family links to the Isle of Man so it's always of interest. Keith is a beauty, I'm sure he'd love your portrait :)

Great to see you back 'in the game' and thanks for looking in, Susie. Glad you like the apples (they were so photogenic!) and I'll try to keep featuring little bits of Manxness when I can :)

yo Andrea

Graceful ... Like the way the light & slow shutter speed makes the water stand out.

Fruit ... just great, pin sharp.

Vehicle ... love the feeling of movement but without the blur.

Thanks for your comments, David. Much appreciated.

I've had a look through your thread and really like what I see. My favorites are pleasure(able), because yours looks like my cats lying in the sun, and tiny which is so colorful.

I've had a look through your thread and really like what I see. My favorites are pleasure(able), because yours looks like my cats lying in the sun, and tiny which is so colorful.

Thanks for looking through and commenting,Kara. Cats really do love roasting in the sun, don't they? :)

Week 31 - Piece

31 Piece
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr
Just in time before the next theme so I'm still up to date :banana: I spent so much time fiddling around with jigsaw pieces inside and outside but now it's time for :beer:

Last edited:
Great picture, love the reflection, and definitely on theme

Thanks, Donna :)

Great shot Andrea, great reflection and even better with it being in mono (y)(y)

Thanks, Dave. I almost left it in colour but tried B&W and it worked so much better (y)

Very nicely done, is that a leather jigsaw?

Thanks, Chris. It's not leather, just the usual cardboard, but I thought the same thing when I saw this one on the screen! The piece was plain black and the light has brought out all the texture.

Super idea Andrea, and a great reflection, I also like the processing too as it lessons any distracting colours for me (y)

Thanks, Dean. Trial and error paid off this time and I agree B&W was the right choice for this one (y)

very well done indeed great lighting, excellent idea

Thanks very much, Allan :)

My initial thoughts were the same, but I decided it was to easy, but I really like what you have done here.
The way its lit is very good particularly.

A jigsaw Piece with a difference. (y) ...this is highly creative, with reflection, clever lighting and dof, finished in mono which seems an excellent idea.

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,

Face - I'm not getting the faces, but that's probably just my lack of imagination. it was worth waiting for the right light to bring out all the detail though. As a landscape it works well.
Agriculture - It says agrarian to me. Nicely exposed and I can't even moan about horizons ;)
Graceful - Interesting choice to use a slower shutter speed. I suspect I would have gone with the cliché of freezing the water droplets, but I like the way you've done it here, which gives me food for thought for when I do something like this.
Vehicle - Both great shots. It's a shame to see the lack of patronage for the horse tram. I'm going to throw my hat in with the crowd saying the shot of Keith edges it.
Piece - An obvious subject for the theme, but taken in an unusual way, so works nicely. Like Chris, I thought it was leather until reading the comments.

My initial thoughts were the same, but I decided it was to easy, but I really like what you have done here.
The way its lit is very good particularly.

Thanks, Mark. Time was running out and I want to try to stay up to date so I went for the obvious and close to hand, but for once the indoor light and reflections worked in my favour :D

What a great reflection and works really well in mono (y)

Thanks, Dominic, glad you liked it. Just trial and error with the light and angles, but at last a tabletop image I'm happy with!

Amazing texture and so clever to have isolated the piece in its pool of light Andrea (y)

Thanks Emma, I feel a bit of a fraud as I just kept trying slightly different things, but this final one came together quite nicely :)

A jigsaw Piece with a different. (y) ...this is highly creative, with reflection, clever lighting and dof, finished in mono which seems an excellent idea.

Thanks David, not really clever, just gradual adjustments with the window light in the background, but it did feel nice when it worked after several tries and it really came to life in B&W :)

Hi Andrea,

Face - I'm not getting the faces, but that's probably just my lack of imagination. it was worth waiting for the right light to bring out all the detail though. As a landscape it works well.
Agriculture - It says agrarian to me. Nicely exposed and I can't even moan about horizons ;)
Graceful - Interesting choice to use a slower shutter speed. I suspect I would have gone with the cliché of freezing the water droplets, but I like the way you've done it here, which gives me food for thought for when I do something like this.
Vehicle - Both great shots. It's a shame to see the lack of patronage for the horse tram. I'm going to throw my hat in with the crowd saying the shot of Keith edges it.
Piece - An obvious subject for the theme, but taken in an unusual way, so works nicely. Like Chris, I thought it was leather until reading the comments.

Thanks for the catch-up, Tim (y) Sorry you can't see the face; there are two big fissures in the cliff face and if you tilt your head to the left the one to the left would be the 'eye' and the one to the right, which is the curved one, would be the unhappy turned-down mouth. For the waterfall, a slower shutter speed would have blurred the water so much better but it was bright sunshine and I didn't have a tripod or filter with me so it's somewhere in the middle :) Glad you like the horse and tram; the tram was just starting its trip and they usually pick up more passengers in the middle section, but sadly they are under-used apart from in the school holidays.

Nicely done Andrea ...I like the composition and I love mono, well thought out.

Thanks Susie, mono really did suit this one (y)

As usual, we have spoken about most of the images in person, so not really going to comment but I really like the headshot of the horse, not seen that one before. He is a lovely boy :D

Week 32 - Contrast

Our photographic society visited a country house and gardens yesterday and it was an environment rich with ideas for this theme. I had others in mind, which had other types of contrast (shape, texture etc), but on reviewing the images this evening this one leaps out at me as full of pure contrast in the colourful sense. I hope you agree :)

32 Contrast

I have no idea what the flower is, though - can anyone help with an ID please? Edit: I have since been told that this is a Dahlia.

Last edited:
WOW on this cracking contrast shot Andrea, the bee is lovely and sharp with great detail. The whole of the shot, bee on the flower is great, best one for contrast imo (y)(y)

Thank you very much, Dave :D I don't usually have much luck with bees but this one was taking its time - possibly admiring the colours too :)

Now yes that is a wonderful macro shot Andrea, super summer colours too and loads of sharp detail (y)

Thank you, Dean, they were wonderful colours.

That's a great shot Andrea - good and sharp with lots of detail in the flower and bee. Those vibrant colours are perfect for the them too (y)

Thanks Emma, they certainly jumped out at me when reviewing the photos from the afternoon :)

Nice and sharp, lots of vibrant colours and well composed.

Thanks, Dom (y)

Hi Andrea,
You've captured some smashing detail, those wings are, well, you could be looking at them under a microscope.
Plenty of contrast there, so bang on theme.

Thanks Tim, I was fortunate that this bee hung around for a few moments :)

Week 33 - Clean

33 Clean

I had a few options for this theme but nothing I was certain about, but after a great trip out yesterday, which has yielded about 20 options for Curves, I must post something so I think this my best option for Clean.

It's the front end of a 1910 Delage Open Tourer two-seater car on display at the same place that yielded my Contrast image last week. It is definitely clean and well looked-after, and you can also see the evidence of recent cleaning and polishing on the front (although some dust has already settled on the top) :)

Last edited:
Back