Mercury's 52 of 2017

Like it but ... it seems to lack a focal point, maybe a stone with some interest strategically placed?

Smooth - I like the mic of browns and cream colours in the shot and the low POV, the light section in the background by the stem of the glass is a bit distracting but otherwise I like the OOF background.

Mineral - good choice for the theme, the gaps/holes make the shot more interesting and lead your eye through the picture well.

Well that certainly fits the Whole theme Marcel but I feel that there is an alternative composition to be had. Perhaps a different POV with the wrapper partly undone to reveal a square or two of the choc and maybe even a few crumbs lying temptingly on the surface of the table.

Last edited:
Well that certainly fits the Whole theme Marcel but I feel that there is an alternative composition to be had. Perhaps a different POV with the wrapper partly undone to reveal a square or two of the choc and maybe even a crumb or two lying temptingly on the surface of the table.
I think you are right - thanks for the constructive criticism. I've struggled with inspiration for the last couple of themes and don't really enjoy indoor shots (I don't have the right lens for it either). I'm already getting into the 'box ticked' mode - need to try harder!

I think you are right - thanks for the constructive criticism. I've struggled with inspiration for the last couple of themes and don't really enjoy indoor shots (I don't have the right lens for it either). I'm already getting into the 'box ticked' mode - need to try harder!
You're in good company Marcel - I'm struggling with this one. Didn't even think of chocolate until I saw your submission. All I've done so far this '52 is indoor (circumstances + weather). Stick with it eh!

Well, I did buy a block today, just in case, I didn't use it so I'll have to eat it now :)

It's a perfect choice for the theme Marcel, I do agree with Carl, it needs a few squares showing the chocolate just to add that extra something. That a smashing clear phot photo though, really nicely done.

I must admit this was my first thought too, nicely lit and nice and sharp but I would of liked to see more of the subject

Great idea, but I think there's a better composition in it. Well lit though.

Well that certainly fits the Whole theme Marcel but I feel that there is an alternative composition to be had. Perhaps a different POV with the wrapper partly undone to reveal a square or two of the choc and maybe even a few crumbs lying temptingly on the surface of the table.

I'd agree with this, really.

Just a little more thought and it would be a much better submission (y)

Cheers.

Ah another Cadburys pic. :D ... no, I do believe you are first. Clear sharp colourful, but I have to agree with the above compo comments.

Hi Marcel,

Good work. You've captured the subject well and also managed to work a blue sky into the shot (a miracle itself this month).
I may have been tempted to go for a shallow DoF shot (or play with the angles) to see if I could have hidden the white Transit as unfortunately it's the second thing I see when I look at the image.

Another option may have been a landrover and tow rope to drag it out of the way ;)
(Okay - I'm kidding... Before anyone reports me to the "Yellow Car" thread vigilantes).

That's a very interesting Sculpture and well taken. I particularly like the way the light plays on the copper/brass edges.

Nice one, if not the kind of thing that normally comes to a Structured mind. (y)

I'm on a roll tonight so will make it snappy with my catch ups :)

Mineral - love a vignette, love the texture and sharpness as well. Lacking a focal point perhaps, but all in all a pleasant shot and hard to argue it doesn't meet the theme!
Whole - another box ticked so to speak. Agree with others re: the POV, though I do find the slight reflection off the wrapper and purple colour pleasing. I'd have perhaps darkened the shadows a little and added a vignette to draw the eye to that lovely deep purple.
Structure - Nice and original, though a slightly different perspective may have addressed some of the distractions. The texture and colour of the sculpture is really pleasing to the eye.

Cheers

Ian

Back