weekly Shirleyr's ~ 52's ~ 2017 ~ 46 to 52

Mineral - a lovely set of medals, and works well for the theme.

Whole - fits the theme, but it does look OOF............ moving on

Structural - it works for the theme, I enjoyed reading the background info on the building, I do like the fact there are no cars cluttering up the image, just not to keen on the grainy look to the image.

I think I like the second shot showing the building under construction - more colourful and lots of points of interest. Bang on theme.

I think I like the second shot showing the building under construction - more colourful and lots of points of interest. Bang on theme.
It was amazing, the golf club refused to allow lorries across the course even though there is a road, all stone had to be taken across the bay by tug and they used granite from a local quarry. The nat trust owns that coast line and objected to everything, nasty little pratts.

Good photo, but I would have two niggles about the framing: the boat on the bottom left is cut in half, and I'd like to see the end of the slide on the right.

An impressive building and fit the theme well. The image is quite noisy I assumed a high ISO settings. Agree with Bernd's comment about the distracting half boat.
Almost 2000 ISO, the grittyness is distracting.

Great set of medals for Mineral Shirley and a difficult choice as to who gets them.

Whole is definitely too soft but definitely Whole.

The first Structure for me too, very noisy but interesting picture.

Great set of medals for Mineral Shirley and a difficult choice as to who gets them.

Whole is definitely too soft but definitely Whole.

The first Structure for me too, very noisy but interesting picture.
Thanks Jill.

Hey Shirley,
Mineral - Great haul of medals there, nicely lit. I'm going to be picky now... There are 2 specks of white dust which need to be cloned out. Other than that, top marks :)
Whole - Chuckle at the cracking gag. I'm surprised at the lack of puns, I think it was eggsclusively @Cobra
Glad you posted the second (in focus) shot :)
Structure - #1... I like the grain texture you've added (I think) to the image in pp, without it I think it may have come across washed out. I see from your comments it was a long lens shot (which I'd guessed) and they can be buggers to get contrasty.

This is my sister choice, I drank half not to waste but its a bit ugh.

The POV works, even the portrait orientation, which I don't normally go for, but .... you should be watching your ISO with shots like this.

And, composition ... maybe look into rule of thirds.

Week 9 ~ Number/s
First I take this camera most places I go for pleasure and anything interesting I see. I'll never make POTY but I enjoy what I take, apologies if the settings are wrong, or the photo is blurred etc etc. Apologies for the path and for the heat lamp but they come with the photos.Too soon.jpg
First photo Polyanthus in a garden centre, they are in lines and I counted them of course:D and the exact number is
'A Lot'
Second photo, 1 only, this lamb was born yesterday and it was the sweetest creature ever but it had come way too soon and could not suckle, so this morning it was under the heat lamp after been fed by the farmer.
How many.jpg

Hi Shirley,
Routine - I hadn't realised we'd not see week 8 from you yet!
Spot on theme, and some nice colours, I esp like the tea.

Numbers - Well, the lamb shot wins for cuteness, but then again, there are some lovely colour combinations in the flower shot.

The lamb is cute but I prefer the garden centre picture for numbers. The diagonals add something to the shot and you've almost split the shot into thirds diagonally too so a very pleasing composition Shirley.

Thanks all for your compliments.
Hi Shirley,
Routine - I hadn't realised we'd not see week 8 from you yet!
Spot on theme, and some nice colours, I esp like the tea.

Numbers - Well, the lamb shot wins for cuteness, but then again, there are some lovely colour combinations in the flower shot.

What a lovely photo of the newborn lamb, must of been nice to see :) I also like the number of rows of the pretty flowers all in a line, well done on the Numbers (y)

Wow now that is a seriously fruity looking tea Shirley, the tea pot is a tad lost on the table cloth, but hey that's not the point of your pic :)

Who couldn't love that little lamb and wish him the best of luck. The flowers are wonderfully bright and colourful very nice angle too with the green foliage running through the middle, I think they're Cordylines ??

Blue Tit from the wood.jpg Week 10 ~ A most Attractive Blue Tit, ready for a mate and time for nest building.

This is the photo that was taken after the draw was made, as the Blue Tit was rather good I'll leave it in a Thumbnail but it doesn't count for the attractive theme.

Photo to come

Last edited:
I like the way the floral pattern on the tablecloth frames the pot and cup in routine - a very pretty shot. I like the garden centre too, but agree that a little less of the path and perhaps a touch more of the taller plants would have made it perfect (y)

I think with such a high angle of your tea a shot directly above would have be a good option too.

Who doesn't love a new born animal, bless the little lamb.

Liking the compo of the garden centre shot.

I feel the bird could be improved with a sharpen and a colour boost of some sort.

Lovely bird, very colourful. We mainly get lots of starlings and magpies around our way, I really should get out somewhere and have a look for some more interesting birds.

Back