weekly Susiejb 52 in 2015 Christmas ...and that's me finished for 2015

Hello, Susie.. My catch up comments:

Covered: Well, it is a desperate shot.. But looks so yummy! It made me drool just to think about it... :love:

Connected: Brilliant... I love the B&W and the thread position is just right. :clap:

Yes, I like it. :clap: ... Really good interpretation of the theme .. loving the way it's kinda animated. Nice focus job too.

That was my thought too, and I was trying to read it to see :D

Clever idea Susie (y)

An excellent use of less is more.
Great shot :)

Thank you d00d, Cobra, and Tim ...I saw something like it on the net and really liked it so I decided to give it a try. Glad you like it :)

Hi Susie, spot on for connected not sure the reel is needed or if it's in the right position but on reflection thats a bit harsh for what is an excellent shot :clap:

Hi Allan ...I used the cotton reel to try and give it some 'grounding' o_O I keep reading about things looking floaty and thought that may help. The cotton is still actually 'connected' to the reel but it is very faint, I did try and bring it back a bit in PP but I don't think I did it enough. Glad you like it anyway :)

Reely like that, well lit.

Super shot! So simple - I love the use of the black background. Yes - it looks really sharp on flickr!! Well done!

Hello, Susie.. My catch up comments:

Covered: Well, it is a desperate shot.. But looks so yummy! It made me drool just to think about it... :love:

Connected: Brilliant... I love the B&W and the thread position is just right. :clap:

Thank you Chris, Richard, and Nora, much appreciate you looking in, Chris the lighting is just one of those small round multiple led lights, I think I bought it on ebay or the pound shop, but I use it a lot and its quite effective. Richard I'm a great fan of black backgrounds ...mainly because they're much easier than white :) Good to see you Nora ...yes, always good when you can eat the props :D

Super! - as you say the focus on the needle could be little better but really that is only apparent when pixel peeping.

Love the inclusion of the reel, it really completes the image.

Well done Susie.

Super! - as you say the focus on the needle could be little better but really that is only apparent when pixel peeping.

Love the inclusion of the reel, it really completes the image.

Well done Susie.

Thanks Brian I really appreciate your comments.
I like 'pixel peeping' :) amazing how a photo actually looks when you zoom in really, really, close. I did try knocking a few off the edge of the needle but it looked worse instead of better.

Last edited:
Hi Susie,

Habit: Great candid shot and well lit by the iPad :)
Covered: Well, it is properly covered. I bet it tasted good :) Spot on for the theme (even if it was short lived!).
Connected: What a stunning shot. I too like the OOF reel and the signature nature of the thread. Perfect lighting :clap:

Yeah, Connected works really well and one that IMO, will be hard to beat. I'd agree with Carl that it looks like a signature. Nice DOF, subtle lighting and well composed.

Regarding focus, did you use live view?

Cheers.

Hi Susie,

Habit: Great candid shot and well lit by the iPad :)
Covered: Well, it is properly covered. I bet it tasted good :) Spot on for the theme (even if it was short lived!).
Connected: What a stunning shot. I too like the OOF reel and the signature nature of the thread. Perfect lighting :clap:

Thank you Lee for taking the time to hop in ....really pleased you like them :)

Last edited:
Yeah, Connected works really well and one that IMO, will be hard to beat. I'd agree with Carl that it looks like a signature. Nice DOF, subtle lighting and well composed.

Regarding focus, did you use live view?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy @posiview thats really encouraging :)

Yes, I did use 'live view' my camera has one of those rotating screens so it's very handy, also you can zoom in and fine tune the focus on a certain point ....really handy with the macro lens on.

Hesitated to put this next to Allan's superb feather, but I'm not sure how much spare time I have next week to do anything else, so it will have to do, I was trying to create a soft floaty effect o_O I actually took this a week or so ago for another challenge, I did try some new ones today but still felt this one was the best so had a fiddle with it and here it is.

Down TP15 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
That looks really floaty Susie. Lovely detail and lighting. Love b&w:clap:

Hi susie, its a lot more downy than mine, so that will go down well with the resident feather expert, :whistle:

nice detail only niggle for me is it needs a brightness boost or at least on my monitor it does,

great idea though (y)

Nice details but I have to agree with Allan that it looks to me like a tad brighter may be better

I think you've got the dreamy effect down to a tee.
I've got to agree with Allan & Sirch in that I would have prefered it to be slightly lighter, but that's only my preference (and what do I know!)
Lovely black background - I still struggle with that.

Floaty box ticked. (y)

Whites could do with a boost maybe? unless its a grey feather?

Have a good week Susie. :cow:

Yep that's "Down" Susie. Very nice, (y)

I did give it a bit of a slap with the shadow / highlight tool and it does stand out more from the back ground, but maybe that wasn't the intention ?

Nothing wrong with that Susie, difficult I imagine getting the balance between the black background and the soft white of the feather as to not loose detail, think you have done well :)

That looks really floaty Susie. Lovely detail and lighting. Love b&w:clap:

Hi susie, its a lot more downy than mine, so that will go down well with the resident feather expert, :whistle:

nice detail only niggle for me is it needs a brightness boost or at least on my monitor it does,

great idea though (y)

Thank you DK Carl and Allan :) I did fiddle about with the brightness for ages, will post another couple as comparisons.

Nice details but I have to agree with Allan that it looks to me like a tad brighter may be better

Very nice Susie. I rather like the low key lighting - it gives it a very soft feel (y)

I think you've got the dreamy effect down to a tee.
I've got to agree with Allan & Sirch in that I would have prefered it to be slightly lighter, but that's only my preference (and what do I know!)
Lovely black background - I still struggle with that.

Floaty box ticked. (y)

Whites could do with a boost maybe? unless its a grey feather?

Have a good week Susie. :cow:

Thank you Chris, Tim, Lee and Brian ....it was difficult to get a balance on the floatiness and the brightness.

Yep that's "Down" Susie. Very nice, (y)

I did give it a bit of a slap with the shadow / highlight tool and it does stand out more from the back ground, but maybe that wasn't the intention ?

Hi, Susie... This one looks so soft and downy... Right on theme (y) But would love it if you can add a bit of a contrast to it.. ;)

Thanks both :0

@Cobra I did keep tweaking the brightness but I felt if I lightened it it lost the softness ....feel free to post any improvements on here :)

Hi Susie. I didn't think there was much wrong with the original but maybe after comparison, the slightly lighter one is best for me. Another angle is good too but not sure of the colour cast works in the last.

but I felt if I lightened it it lost the softness ....
It does get quite a bit sharper I agree, Susie, that's why I asked.
Its certainly nice and soft as it it (y)

Pleasing image ... soft and downy and floaty.

Hi Susie
OMG 'Covered' that looks double yummy! Why do those shots come up when I'm on a health kick (that will go firmly to pot over Xmas:ROFLMAO:)
Nice shot, think I would have just gone a tad wider and had the top corner of the dish in though. I guess you had to get the camera away to get stuck in though, so I'll let you off!
Connected,,,, I like this well thought out, and I particularly like the lighting very well done very subtle, if I were nit picking and I'm not going to, I'd probably have the reel a tad more to the left... Like this well shot(y)
Down.... I like the first shot best, nice detail, sharp , fills the frame works nicely with the black background which seems to enhance the silkiness of the feather.

Last edited:
Hi Susie
OMG 'Covered' that looks double yummy! Why do those shots come up when I'm on a health kick (that will go firmly to pot over Xmas:ROFLMAO:)
Nice shot, think I would have just gone a tad wider and had the top corner of the dish in though. I guess you had to get the camera away to get stuck in though, so I'll let you off!
Connected,,,, I like this well thought out, and I particularly like the lighting very well done very subtle, if I were nit picking and I'm not going to, I'd probably have the reel a tad more to the left... Like this well shot(y)
Down.... I like the first shot best, nice detail, sharp , fills the frame works nicely with the black background which seems to enhance the silkiness of the feather.

Hi Steve ...a big thank you for dropping in and taking the time to comment, very much appreciated. Healthy eating is for the first of January ...the usual new Years resolution :)

Back