Tim's TP 52 for 2018 Challenge (wk 12 juxtaposition added)

Week 0 Link

Here is my place, Zürich, where I've been living for a lot longer than I expected to when we first moved here. The weather last night for New Year's fireworks was perfect. Sadly they decided to lower the height of the display as the last several years' has suffered from low cloud meaning we had a very expensive display of various colored fog.

I'm looking forward to my first 52 challenge!

Last edited:
Thank you :) the composition was not quite what I’d planned. Thought the barges were more to the left in front of the bridge. Ah well next year I can try again!

Lovely shots, nice colours throughout. I really want to add colour to my pictures - so I'm rather envious of what you achieved with this first photo!!

Lovely shots, nice colours throughout. I really want to add colour to my pictures - so I'm rather envious of what you achieved with this first photo!!

Thank you! This was a lucky strike - 60secs during a firework display you never know what you're going to get.

Well timed to get all those fireworks going off at once and nice the way it lights up the water and boats.

Fireworks are not the easiest thing to shoot. I've never got one I'm really happy with.
You've got some really nice colours and have the buildings lit by the fireworks. I think this has come out quite nicely (y)

Good luck with your 2018 challenge.

Round your area - WOW that is a beautiful colourful image, I have never been able to get a good shot of fireworks, not even sure I would know where to start. A wonderful start to your challenge, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with for the rest of the themes.

Thank you everyone :) hope I can make all 52!

Fireworks is one of my favorite subjects. What I’ve found works best is a) good composition (didn’t quite work this time as above), b) sturdy tripod, c) mirror lockup / remote trigger, d) f16 to get good dof and stars from bright lights e) use custom settings to preset iso and different exposure times (saves losing time messing about once the fireworks start)

Great image, love the colours especially!!

What a great start to your challenge, Tim. Very colourful, good composition and with the cityscape also included as a bonus.

Yep, this. I really like the highlights refelcting back off various bits of building.....

Stunning shot I love the colours, you have captured the fireworks beautifully

Welcome aboard the 52 train, Tim, and that's a fine image to start with. Lots of beautiful colours in the sky and reflected in the water, and a nice selection of silhouettes along the right hand side. I also like the placement of the bridge and the lights reflected on the front of the buildings - lots to look at in this one. Well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images (y)

Thank you Mandy, I thought a close up like this had more interest than the whole gate which is pretty dull in day light.
I was looking for guidelines for the themes - are there some? I couldn't find.

Hi Tim newbie1 and welcome

Great firework shot indeed, historic setting too, really adds.(y) .... and subtle long exposure tell tell signs.

Your Gate abstract is the kind of thing we want to see. But no archive shots please.

Your Gate abstract is the kind of thing we want to see. But no archive shots please.

Thanks David, good to know! Dusty gate was last night, I'm assuming we need to shoot each week once the theme is announced?

Hi Tim, like your take on gate as it is abstract like. Like the dust fibre round the holes with the lighting hitting it just right. Remember to put the same photo in the main post with a Link back to here :)

Hi Dave, it's possible I will get another chance at a gate shot - can I switch around the link if I get a get a better one?

Hi Tim, welcome to the 52. The themes are open to your interpretation, if you decide to post a different version after this, you could always go to your first post and select tools on the top right and the title, "gate, edit added" or "gate new pic added".

I didn't know it was a gate without your title, but there is always an explanation behind every photograph, it keeps people thinking too. I love the abstract nature of it , lighting is great and it really stands out.

I like your unusual take on the theme, Tim. I hadn't a clue what it was until you explained, but it's great that you've spotted this and decided on something away from the more obvious shot.

There are no rules about interpretation and most of us have admitted to the odd 'shoehorn' when we've struggled to meet a theme and had to stretch the interpretation a bit, but this is an abstract take rather than a stretch and it works very well. I particularly like the strong contrasts between the solid black of the gate itself and the bright highlights of the debris around the edges :clap:

Hi Tim, welcome to the 52. The themes are open to your interpretation, if you decide to post a different version after this, you could always go to your first post and select tools on the top right and the title, "gate, edit added" or "gate new pic added".

I didn't know it was a gate without your title, but there is always an explanation behind every photograph, it keeps people thinking too. I love the abstract nature of it , lighting is great and it really stands out.

I like your unusual take on the theme, Tim. I hadn't a clue what it was until you explained, but it's great that you've spotted this and decided on something away from the more obvious shot.

There are no rules about interpretation and most of us have admitted to the odd 'shoehorn' when we've struggled to meet a theme and had to stretch the interpretation a bit, but this is an abstract take rather than a stretch and it works very well. I particularly like the strong contrasts between the solid black of the gate itself and the bright highlights of the debris around the edges :clap:

Would never have guessed it was gate related without you explaining - very nicely done

Perhaps, even if abstract, it needs to be more obvious.... here is take two - "Gate to nowhere"

Gate to nowhere
by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

Back