weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill.

Entertain: Nice portrait of Cap'n Jack Sparrow but I prefer the carousel. The expression on the boy's face more than adequately confirms that he is being entertained. Why no colour - think the image would be better suited to colour but either way :clap:
Spiral - Well themed and nicely taken.

At last, an actual SPIRAL, well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Almost everyone else has posted pictures of a helix and it has been really annoying my inner nerd!

hi Jill - I like both your entertain submissions although the 2nd one shows more actual entertainment (but I too would like to see it in colour :) )

spiral - tis a lovely shot but I would like to see more of the spiral so maybe a wider crop. (I will check out the others in Flickr)

some lovely shots :clap:

littlun on the carousel ... priceless. :clap:

I think I can understand why the B&W convert ... excessive colour is distracting. Here we see some amazing detail.

Hi Jill.

Entertain: Nice portrait of Cap'n Jack Sparrow but I prefer the carousel. The expression on the boy's face more than adequately confirms that he is being entertained. Why no colour - think the image would be better suited to colour but either way :clap:
Spiral - Well themed and nicely taken.

Thanks Carl, glad you like them, and D00D below provides the explanation for no colour ;)

At last, an actual SPIRAL, well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Almost everyone else has posted pictures of a helix and it has been really annoying my inner nerd!

Thanks (y)

hi Jill - I like both your entertain submissions although the 2nd one shows more actual entertainment (but I too would like to see it in colour :) )

spiral - tis a lovely shot but I would like to see more of the spiral so maybe a wider crop. (I will check out the others in Flickr)

some lovely shots :clap:

Hi Summer, thanks for looking (y)

littlun on the carousel ... priceless. :clap:

I think I can understand why the B&W convert ... excessive colour is distracting. Here we see some amazing detail.

Spot on David, that's exactly why it is in B&W. In colour it just looks like a busy, holiday-type snap, but in B&W for me, it focuses much more on the child :clap:

Ah! I understand now about the colour versus b&w for the carousel. That makes sense. Thank you Jill and David

Hi Jill,

Glad you had a good time in Madrid,

Entertain - it's the second one for me - I love the expression on the boy's face and it's tack sharp - lovely :clap:

Spiral - very fitting for the theme - well spotted! :)

Mr Sparrow looks a tiny bit soft around the eyes to me, but I love the colours and the close up portrait idea. The little one on the carousel is nice, the look of joy on his face is great. Nice & sharp too. Not often you see a shot like that in mono, and it really suits IMO.

I like spiral a lot, the perspective and the textures/reflections in the metal give it real interest.

Hi Jill, I've been away so a bit late to the party here and I hope everything is going OK for you as it's been a couple of weeks since you posted.

I like all three images :clap: The portrait is instantly striking due to your proximity and the bold details and colours, although I think it looks slightly soft in places on further examination. Still an eye-catching image though. I love the little boy's expression on the carousel, and although I also wished it had been in colour, having read the comments and replies above I appreciate your reasons for converting to mono. And your image for Spiral is really interesting. Ideally I'd like to have seen a little more of it, but this crop also works well.

Hi Jill

Entertain

Ooohhh No1 is a cracker! I love the real close up with spot on sharp focus. I think the really tight crop works very well indeed. Super detail, Great shot definitely No1 for me! Although I like No2 and its very nicely captured and sharp No1 wins out(y)

Spiral, My nemesis :eek: like the simple idea, think I had a metal block on this topic though:rolleyes:.
Like how simple this is, but effective, Quite abstract but fits the theme well. Wonder if a shot not quite so tight would work better? (Like the first Spiral shot on flickr;))
Nicely spotted! Well shot!

Hey Jill :)

Quick catch up from me...

Water - I couldn't quite work out what it was at first, lovery shapes, reflections and colours, a good abstract image, really like that :)

Bizarre - Wasn't sure what you were getting at with this one, having read the text I see what you mean, image wise.... erm... Theme wise just about :)

Broken - Oh MY GOODNESS... would work well for medical too, a great stack of boxes, nice background and liking the idea for the theme :)

Entertain - A couple of great images, nice detail in the first one and liking the B&W processing of the second, I'm choosing the first for inyourfaceness :)

Spiral - Oooo yes I REALLY like this one, focus just in the right place for me, good detail again and I really like the colour, my fav of your last bunch of shots by far :clap:

CONGRATS on your house sale :clap: again

Mine was sold for a week too... but not heard anything since price haggled and agreed - Grrrrrrrr

Thanks everyone for your recent comments. I'be been missing for a while as i've been so busy with the move (Officially the 11th August) and have had the animal and silhoutte themes in camera from the relevant weeks. I'm not going away but planning a catch up in a couple of weeks or so.

Don't forget me @Dark Knight

Another catch up from me...

Heat: No. 1 for me. The water spray is a great touch. One for me to remember.
Figures: Nice shot. Has a tilt shift look about it. Nice mono conversion too.
Household: I remember seeing it and liking it but it seems to have vanished...
Water reshoot: Lovely shot Wonderful colours and reflections.
Limit: I understand the thought process but the shot doesn't really work for me - sorry :(
Bizarre: Thanks for the explanation. You are right, to jump through all those bureaucratic hoops and then they feel the need to restrict your parking is indeed bizarre!
Broken: A very personal account of broken. Strong photo.
Entertain: No 1 for me. Fantastic close crop portrait. Great expression too (y)
Spiral: A simple and clever shot. Nowt in the way of crit here :)

Broken - as already said very personal account and lends itself perfect for the theme. lighting is great.
Entertain - I think this has potential but I feel its a little soft, certainly entertaining.
Spiral - cutting off the sides makes this for me, its elusive and makes your mind try to complete the shape, great shot!

Thank you so much for your comments and your patience. I've got a mini catch up here with pictures for Silhouette, Animal and Clear so now I'm only missing Medical, Proverb and whatever fiendishly difficult them has been picked for this week!

ANIMAL

Animal by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

PALE

Pale by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

Last edited:
Four great shots Jill. I prefer Silhouette #1 because of the wonderful colours in the sky. Animal has nicely detail in the eyes but my absolute favourite is Pale with the texture and lines that you have managed to capture :clap:

Hi, animal lovely cat, nice detail reflection in the eyes. Face on might have also worked but this does too, cat looks deep in thought.

Pale, simple, well composed, nice detail and nice textures.

Nice colours in silhouette #1m but I like the simplicity of #2.

Cheers.

Hi Jill, Pale is nicely shot and very well presented, but for me it lacks context. I think it would work better as part of a set or a triptych perhaps? I hope you don't mind me saying so.

B. :cow:

Hi Jill, Animal nice and sharp would have liked the cat to be straight on I think it would have helped the composition
Pale again some lovely textures in there, I agree with Brian above about it being in a triptych maybe
Silhouette number 2 for me absolutely perfect

Now you really are clutching at straws Jill :). Love the colour - could do with a dip right now.

Hi Jill, I've got a lot of catching up to do, so I'm just going to comment on the ones I can see on this page.

Animal - I'm a big cat lover and this is a great shot! You've captured some amazing detail in both the eyes and the fur.
Pale - I'm afraid this doesn't really do a lot for me, but it fits the theme and I quite like the woodgrain and the diagonal angle.
Silhouette - I took loads of shots of palm trees for this theme whilst I was in Corfu Town, but none of them were anywhere near as good as either of yours and I ended up not using any of them! #2 is a great abstract-y image, but the sunset sky bg in #1 really makes it special.
Proverb - it took me a few seconds to realise that they were straws, but now that I get it I think it's a very clever and colourful take on the theme.

Good catch-up Jill,

Animal ... great detail & colour ... would be better straight on but maybe not easy to capture.

Pale ... nice simple abstract-like.

Silhouettes ... both beautiful.

Proverb ... oh very clever. :)

Hi Jill,

Animal: Nice tight crop and lots of sharp detail. Like :)
Pale: Another cracking shot. The simple nature of it works so well.
Silhouette: Tricky to choose here. I like the colours in the first but prefer the composition of the second.
Proverb: Brilliant :clap:

Hi Jill well done with catching up so well....I'm on an absolute marathon catch up too.

Silhouette ...two wonderful shots I love them both, but I think the sunset one has the edge.

Proverb ...a very original shot for the theme ...I must admit I didn't get it till I read Carl's comment, then it's sooooo obvious :) another great choice for the theme.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, and, after this I'm only missing Medical (well until tomorrow :()

The first pic is for Tear and is how MrB has felt during our move in the hottest July in Spain in 40 years :tumbleweed:

TEAR

Tear by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

For Words this is a personal one again from me as I wrote this 20 years ago, not the greatest shot in the world but meant a lot to me at the time.

Last edited:
Hi Jill, glad to see your having another go at this as well :) Been having a look through and you have some great pictures in your thread - I love the composition on Tear :clap:

Hi Jill, glad to see your having another go at this as well :) Been having a look through and you have some great pictures in your thread - I love the composition on Tear :clap:

Hi Ruth, great to see you again, are you doing this too this year?

Hi Jill. Tear: Out of frustration by the look of it. Nice comp and crop (frame not the hair). Words: Spot on theme and very nicely taken.:clap:

Good take on Tear [haha] Nice bit of portraiture with crop just at eye level ... works well.

Has Words2 gone missing? I preferred that. Your own published words mean a lot.

Back