weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Thanks all so much for your comments (y)

Been away on hols around Portugal ... late one night after a lovely prolonged dinner caught the tail end of a thing called Santos Populares de Quarteira ... missing out on photo ops of dancers in their trad costumes, my Entertain pic is of the cobbled promenade after the entertainers and the entertained had gone ...

Week 23 Entertain
P1040339.JPG

Last edited:
Alternative spiral staircase @ Queensway Tube.

Week 24 Spiral
DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

Hi David,

Spiral: Prefer #1 Like the variety of textures - concrete, metal, rubber and the abstract quality of the image.
Silhouette: Readily identifiable and tack sharp.

Hi d00d, Entertain -some nice colour in there, wouldn't guess at "entertain" though
Spiral- first on for me, couldn't mistake that for anything else but a train station
Silhouette- the hand in the pic rather spoils it and the profile of the camera is not really interesting enough

Hi guys, just added the Silhouette SOOC

Spiral #1 was my first choice too but just thought I'd add #2 as a totally different perspective. Glad you like it.

Silhouette ... hmmm mixed feelings, but I'm very pleased with this picture, it's my first silhouette and it took me ages to realise that minus a decent sunset the best way to do it is indoors [I had a small reflector on a table under the window and used my left hand to fire the remote]. And @alsjazzera .. camera! there's nothing more interesting. :LOL:

Hi, David, Silhouette is on theme but I think you could have done more with it. I'd prefer to have more of the person it, perhaps using the camera.

Cheers.

Hi David

Entertain - that's a very quirky take on the theme, I really like it :)

Spiral - the first shot for me, very nicely chosen and shot

Silhouette - yup, fits the theme and I'm impressed at how sharp it is - I have difficulty holding the camera still with two hands :(

:)

Hi, David, Silhouette is on theme but I think you could have done more with it. I'd prefer to have more of the person it, perhaps using the camera.
Yeah, know what you mean Andy.

Hi David

Entertain - that's a very quirky take on the theme, I really like it :)

Spiral - the first shot for me, very nicely chosen and shot

Silhouette - yup, fits the theme and I'm impressed at how sharp it is - I have difficulty holding the camera still with two hands :(

:)
Thanks Lorraine ....

"quirky"! I like that. Glad you like the Spiral. And re Silhouette: I normally use two hands. :LOL:

Ha ha - I'd never have thought of that variation on the theme - good for you. Nicely lit and detailed.

Nice composition David with the different textures; reflections give it a nice 3D effect.

I really like your take on Medicine. The limited pallet appeals to me and the square crop is just right, I like how you have filled the frame without crowding. As Carl says the reflections give it good depth. A good example of the use of the "rule of thirds" too ;) Bravo!

Hi d00d, two very clear pics "animal" I suppose is obvious when you think about it

"medicine" a little to obvious maybe :thinking: not that there is anything wrong with that, just used to seeing something a little different from yourself

First Spiral: Well-spotted. An interesting picture out of a mundane subject.

Nice composition David with the different textures; reflections give it a nice 3D effect.
Thanks Carl ... not exactly what I originally intended doing, but I tried it and I liked it.

I really like your take on Medicine. The limited pallet appeals to me and the square crop is just right, I like how you have filled the frame without crowding. As Carl says the reflections give it good depth. A good example of the use of the "rule of thirds" too ;) Bravo!
Thanks for the Bravo Brian ...

Hi d00d, two very clear pics "animal" I suppose is obvious when you think about it

"medicine" a little to obvious maybe :thinking: not that there is anything wrong with that, just used to seeing something a little different from yourself
Yes well there's the obvious and there's the not so obvious. ;)

First Spiral: Well-spotted. An interesting picture out of a mundane subject.
pleased you like Spiral Martin. I took pics from loads of different angles and that #1 was the last ... and when I got home I realised it was the best.

Medical, works for me. Fills the frame, good detail and well composed. Looks a little under exposed on my Macbook, though.

I wonder what a slight vignette would look like.

Cheers.

Hi David, a bit of a catch-up by me as I've not been around for a couple of weeks and you've been busy!

Entertain - I like this; unusual, colourful, and tells the story in a simple but effective way.
Spiral - I like both images for the bold colours and contrasts, but just prefer the first for the textures and it seems to fit the theme more clearly.
Silhouette - very sharp and just a touch of light around the camera edges to add interest and definition. Would have worked well if you could have got a model to hold the camera in a more natural position, but it definitely meets the theme.
Animal - made me shudder with all those close-up meaty/fatty details, but it's perfectly lit and composed and would make a good product shot. Defintely a different take on the theme :)
Medicine - the colourful pills are well arranged and stand out really well, while the reflections in the silver packaging add extra depth without taking over. I like the square crop too (y)

Hey d00d.
A bit of a comments catch up going on here...
Spiral - The second one for me, whilst it shows less of the spiral, for me it has more going on and thus more interest.
Silhouette - It took me a few seconds but go it :) Very On Subject, but for me the hand/arm showing detail stops it being perfect.
Animal - I like your take on this. it's a well taken, sharp, well composed shot, but I'm afraid as it isn't a train ;) :) ;)
Medicine - Is that a macro shot? A nicely sharp and well composed image which does show it's depth well.

Hi David :)

Quick catch up from me...

Entertain - A nice bright image, a real nice subtle but effective take (y)

Spiral - A couple of nice shots, liking the shine on the first, and the lines on the second, but the first takes it for me :)

Silhouette - Hmmmmm not so sure with this one, yes it sure is on theme, but for me it is not In context/natural placement, on a tripod yes, or against a silhouetted head yes, but not outstretched like this :)

Animal - Blimey !! bit of an ewwwwwwy shot theme wise, good detail, placement an d well lit too :)

Medical - Wish I had thought of this in time, nice close image, works really well (y)

Medical, works for me. Fills the frame, good detail and well composed. Looks a little under exposed on my Macbook, though.

I wonder what a slight vignette would look like.

Cheers.
(y)

Hi David, a bit of a catch-up by me as I've not been around for a couple of weeks and you've been busy!

Entertain - I like this; unusual, colourful, and tells the story in a simple but effective way.
Spiral - I like both images for the bold colours and contrasts, but just prefer the first for the textures and it seems to fit the theme more clearly.
Silhouette - very sharp and just a touch of light around the camera edges to add interest and definition. Would have worked well if you could have got a model to hold the camera in a more natural position, but it definitely meets the theme.
Animal - made me shudder with all those close-up meaty/fatty details, but it's perfectly lit and composed and would make a good product shot. Defintely a different take on the theme :)
Medicine - the colourful pills are well arranged and stand out really well, while the reflections in the silver packaging add extra depth without taking over. I like the square crop too (y)
Thanks Andrea, I value your input.

Hey d00d.
A bit of a comments catch up going on here...
Spiral - The second one for me, whilst it shows less of the spiral, for me it has more going on and thus more interest.
Silhouette - It took me a few seconds but go it :) Very On Subject, but for me the hand/arm showing detail stops it being perfect.
Animal - I like your take on this. it's a well taken, sharp, well composed shot, but I'm afraid as it isn't a train ;) :) ;)
Medicine - Is that a macro shot? A nicely sharp and well composed image which does show it's depth well.
Thanks a lot Tim ... You're the only one who prefers Spiral #2 to Spiral #1 ... I am very pleased with both. And, is that a macro shot? dunno, it wasn't taken with a macro lens.

Hi David :)

Quick catch up from me...

Entertain - A nice bright image, a real nice subtle but effective take (y)

Spiral - A couple of nice shots, liking the shine on the first, and the lines on the second, but the first takes it for me :)

Silhouette - Hmmmmm not so sure with this one, yes it sure is on theme, but for me it is not In context/natural placement, on a tripod yes, or against a silhouetted head yes, but not outstretched like this :)

Animal - Blimey !! bit of an ewwwwwwy shot theme wise, good detail, placement an d well lit too :)

Medical - Wish I had thought of this in time, nice close image, works really well (y)
(y)

LOL Nice take on the theme (y)
(y)

Spent quite some time on this week's theme, did a couple of things that didn't work out, then shopped the TP logo, printed it only to find that colour is not working and I'm not out of ink. Got my model out pretending to nick fruit, ended up having to jazz up a poor best-of-the-bunch.

Proverb #1
Week%2B28%2Bproverb8.jpg

Proverb #2
Week%2B28%2Bproverb6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi d00d, out of the two the first one its a nice idea, well thought out

the second one again a nice idea but it is a little garish :wideyed:

Hi David. Both good for the theme but #2 is absolutely brilliant :clap:. Well thought out and executed. Quite like the garishness - poster-like quality. (Have they swapped positions between the two postings?)

Last edited:
Hi d00d, out of the two the first one its a nice idea, well thought out

the second one again a nice idea but it is a little garish :wideyed:
Hi David. Both good for the theme but #2 is absolutely brilliant :clap:. Well thought out and executed. Quite like the garishness - poster-like quality. (Have they swapped positions between the two postings?)
Thanks guys ... yes I think you have to like the garishness.

I have now swapped them around to make it consistent with the main thread. TBH I wasn't sure what to make of either, and wasn't sure which one to put first ... if Carl says the garish one (#2 is now #1) is absolutely brilliant then I'm in full agreement with him. :)

Hi David
How's it going!
Entertain.... I like this, they say its always the simplest shots don't they! I like the semi uniformity of the checker board effect given by the cobble stones and nice that you have them sitting diagonally don't think they would have had half the impact square on. Like the contrast between the vivid greens and the cobbles really works well. Nice textures in the cobbles too. Great subtle relationship to the theme;).

Spiral..... I think you have captured the feeling of spiral without actually showing one (well a full spiral) which is great. The treads radiating out from the central spine look great almost like the spokes of a wheel, and the way the treads converge to the spine sort of draws you in. I just had a total mental block on spiral now I see them everywhere!:rolleyes:
Spiral 2, nice to see the other POV and it always fascinates me that manufactures still cast text into there castings just like the good old days;).

Silhouette .... On a positive note I have written silhouette so many times now I can actually spell it correctly;)
I think you have done an outstanding job considering its hand held! Most shots you see like this the camera is sitting on the tripod! (Mine are almost permanently on one).
Its a nice crisp, sharp image with a nice background.... if I were to be picky I'd whip out the cloning tool and have that white splodge away under the main barrel of the lens, other than that spot on(y).

Well Packaged Animal .... :) Definitely a variation on the theme(y). Very nice sharp shot all nicely in focus, nice colour and dare I say texture. I think your background is well chosen so as not to give any nasty surprise reflections and is nice and flat which picks out the subject nicely!

Medical .... My My we do have a lot in common! I'm also a Technical Consultant, and I work in West London ..... And I'm a Nikon'ite .... But my poison is Lansoprazole same but different;). Personally I prefer Blue rather than Salmon Pink tablets(y).
Anyhow enough waffle! Nice tight crop fills the frame, with a no nonsense image, Nice and sharp, sort of a random composition but then I'm about as arty as a Bulldozer. not that I feel the composition detracts. Fits the theme well and a nice shot..... Works for me(y).

Proverb .... No1 one gives me that psychedelic feely, but its not quite scorched my retinas:). Nicely set up and executed.
No2 Think this one works better for me, Cleverly thought out, and lighting nicely controlled. Really like the reflection in the polished wooden surface, and good use of DOF.

All the best
S

Hi David
How's it going!
Entertain.... I like this, they say its always the simplest shots don't they! I like the semi uniformity of the checker board effect given by the cobble stones and nice that you have them sitting diagonally don't think they would have had half the impact square on. Like the contrast between the vivid greens and the cobbles really works well. Nice textures in the cobbles too. Great subtle relationship to the theme;).

Spiral..... I think you have captured the feeling of spiral without actually showing one (well a full spiral) which is great. The treads radiating out from the central spine look great almost like the spokes of a wheel, and the way the treads converge to the spine sort of draws you in. I just had a total mental block on spiral now I see them everywhere!:rolleyes:
Spiral 2, nice to see the other POV and it always fascinates me that manufactures still cast text into there castings just like the good old days;).

Silhouette .... On a positive note I have written silhouette so many times now I can actually spell it correctly;)
I think you have done an outstanding job considering its hand held! Most shots you see like this the camera is sitting on the tripod! (Mine are almost permanently on one).
Its a nice crisp, sharp image with a nice background.... if I were to be picky I'd whip out the cloning tool and have that white splodge away under the main barrel of the lens, other than that spot on(y).

Well Packaged Animal .... :) Definitely a variation on the theme(y). Very nice sharp shot all nicely in focus, nice colour and dare I say texture. I think your background is well chosen so as not to give any nasty surprise reflections and is nice and flat which picks out the subject nicely!

Medical .... My My we do have a lot in common! I'm also a Technical Consultant, and I work in West London ..... And I'm a Nikon'ite .... But my poison is Lansoprazole same but different;). Personally I prefer Blue rather than Salmon Pink tablets(y).
Anyhow enough waffle! Nice tight crop fills the frame, with a no nonsense image, Nice and sharp, sort of a random composition but then I'm about as arty as a Bulldozer. not that I feel the composition detracts. Fits the theme well and a nice shot..... Works for me(y).

Proverb .... No1 one gives me that psychedelic feely, but its not quite scorched my retinas:). Nicely set up and executed.
No2 Think this one works better for me, Cleverly thought out, and lighting nicely controlled. Really like the reflection in the polished wooden surface, and good use of DOF.

All the best
S

Hi Steve ... all's well thanks :)

Entertain ... Great subtle relationship to the theme .... thanks, I took dozens of shots of the costumed dancing procession [with pocket camera] looked thru them when back home and decided this abstractish shot of the ground says enough.

Spiral ... captured the feeling of spiral without actually showing one ... indeed, and think spiral staircase and one normally thinks regency splendour, this is the alternative saying: industrial/functional.

Silhouette ... not many English words with three vowels in a row and I still struggle with the silhouette word. That white splodge is a cloud ... thought I'd leave it! BTW did you see the SOOC?

Animal ... the BG is the grease proof paper it was wrapped in.

Medical ... the consultant word covers a multitude of sins, doesn't it! I must admit that capsule arrangement came about by accident. They come in strips of 7, my plan was for a pic of 7 with 6 in the BG and the 7th spilling its contents. I did this, looked OK but a bit similar to my broken biscuit shot. I though I'd finished, picked up the 6 intact and, for want of a better place to put them, dumped them on top of an unopened strip ... thought that looks good, where's the camera.

Proverb ... thanks, quite pleased with #2 but maybe it lacks something sharp to focus on ... the greyscale printout isn't but there is some detail in the frame if one looks closely.

Cheers, d

Last edited:
Proverb, can't beat family photographs. You've filled the frame with wonderful photographs.

For me, though, it lacks a little punch. Looks a little under exposed and I think you could make the colours pop a little more . Might be tempted to use infections bit better as well. cheers

Proverb, can't beat family photographs. You've filled the frame with wonderful photographs.

For me, though, it lacks a little punch. Looks a little under exposed and I think you could make the colours pop a little more . Might be tempted to use infections bit better as well. cheers
I love the brightness and cartoony type processing of the first shot, nicely staged :)
Thanks guys. (y)

... thought this looked Pale in more ways than one

Week 29 - Pale
week29%2BPale.jpg

Pale, belter that is.

Really appeals to me. The grey bin works well with the gray door. Liking the crop.

I'd prefer the bag not be there, maybe it adds to the narrative.

Good show.

Cheers.

Hi d00d, very good capture the doors, the bin and the floor all a similar pale greyish colour and the little splash of colour works for me

Well spotted :clap:

Back