weekly d00d's 52 in 2015 ... Week 51 & 52

Hey David,

really like your household shot, as mentioned though, i'd crop the top (personally of course) rest of the image is great and really fits the theme well!

Nicely Done!

Heat is a nice shot, the red of the sauce and the green of the BG go well together, and the composition is simple but effective. As others have said, I think a puddle of sauce would improve the shot, but it's fine as it is.

Figures is an interesting idea, and you've made a tidy job of the processing. It has an odd feel, and I like it... The figures look almost stuck on.

Household was a stinker... and you shot shoes!
It says household to me, but I'd be tempted to try and lose some off the top.

I love what you've done for figures - really makes them stand out :)
household, excellent idea for a difficult theme (haven't even had time to think of mine this week :( ) only thing I would say is I would have cropped down to just the shoes, I would have straightened the fallen trainer and exposed more for the dark suede shoes, or used a lighter pair :)

Hi d00d ...I think I have to agree with the others on this one about the top bit, I just tried it cropped and then rotated it so the shoes point downwards...I quite like it, but then I do have some strange ideas :)

Don't want to appear repetitive, but also don't want to not comment, soooooo I agree with the others here, great idea, would love to see the shadow detail recovered a tad :)

Thanks for your comments. My excuse is ... I was experimenting with my new wide angle lens with camera against the wall about 2' 6" off the floor I could capture a dozen shoes ... and a lot of wall too which looks a bit weird. I think it's a good interpretation and will do a reshoot. :)

Last edited:
WEEK 20 Limit

DSC_0008.JPG

Kestrel Super now that brings back the memories :beer:

The processing suits the theme as does the vignette. I always prefer even numbers in photographs but on this occasion I think two works better and adds to the humour.

Cheers.

Hi d00d, its all been said about the shoes I do like the angle very unusual

as for the kestrel, 2 cans is the limit then, I don't drink beer anymore so I take your word for that, I would never have thought of that for the theme

Kestrel Super now that brings back the memories :beer:

The processing suits the theme as does the vignette. I always prefer even numbers in photographs but on this occasion I think two works better and adds to the humour.

Cheers.
Hi d00d, its all been said about the shoes I do like the angle very unusual

as for the kestrel, 2 cans is the limit then, I don't drink beer anymore so I take your word for that, I would never have thought of that for the theme
Yep a good take, the vignette works nicely, but I wasn't so sure on just the two cans at first either, but the way they are positioned does seem to work... so (y) from me :)
Hi David, you've got a different take on this theme - I would never have thought of that! I think the muted tones and vignette work well and the haphazard way they're laying on the floor also works well for the subject. Good idea (y)

Thanks guys ... when the drink limit idea hit me my plan was to get a shot of a couple of beer cans in the park, lying in the grass with distant BG greenery. But when I did some practice shots at home I realised these things are not easy to photograph. Ended up shooting in the dark with 30 second exposure.

Hi David,

Household - that's a very original take on the theme - I like it. (y) I do agree with what's been said about the lighting and the strip at the top though

Limit - another good idea. The colours of the background compliment the cans well and the exposure's spot on - I'd never have thought of taking the shot in the dark o overcome reflections - I'll have to try that :clap:

Nice idea for the theme. Agree with what other said, nice composition and prefect exposure too.
Hi David,

Household - that's a very original take on the theme - I like it. (y) I do agree with what's been said about the lighting and the strip at the top though

Limit - another good idea. The colours of the background compliment the cans well and the exposure's spot on - I'd never have thought of taking the shot in the dark o overcome reflections - I'll have to try that :clap:
Its always worth trying a shot in the dark d00d :) ....I like the choice and focus is absolutely spot on (y)

Thanks guys ... appreciate it. (y)

Been out & about looking for the Bizarre ... taking some quite random pics ... managed to focus on the phone of this girl taking selfies, capturing her hand was really accidental but then decided I liked it so blended it with the selfie complete with me over her left shoulder (not really visible here). Bizarre?crowbarre?

WEEK 21 Bizarre
21.Bizarre.jpg

Last edited:
Really good idea David - like it! Like the hand in it too as you can see her sorting it out at the same time you see her in the selfie taken by you!

Hi David,

nicely done and well spotted on bizarre. For my money it's a good fit for the theme, and I like the way you've added the other three images. Is it just me, or does that selfie stick look like the sort of wing mirrors caravanners use? :confused:

Hi David
Household.... Like the idea, it's a strain on the brain to come up with unique ideas all the time and this one works for me. Like the carpet that really helps with the household message, if I let my OCD kick in ( no pun intended ;)) I'd have not lost the pairs off either end, but that's just me:rolleyes:. The top half removal has already been discussed:whistle:

Limit... Your welcome to come for a beer any time (blimey Dave's a cheap night out;))... Like the concept really nice lighting on a potentially nasty reflective subject. Really sharp focus and vignette works well and not overcooked. Nice work(y)

Bizarre ... That is! Eeerr my poor meagre brain cell is still trying to work this one out, so how can it be anything but bizarre!! It's been a long day so that's my excuse. It's sharp and great DOF and on theme(y) Perhaps I need those 2 cans of beer now;)

Good Stuff David!

Limit is close enough. The image works fine as it is, nicely lit, and nicely composed, and I like the reflection of one can in the other. I can't help thinking that more cans would have been more on theme though... Obviously this raises the problem of having to go out and buy a dozen cans of tramp fuel... and the knowing looks from the cashier!

Bizarre is indeed bizarre, really nicely done. It's a pretty cool idea for a shot.

Really good idea David - like it! Like the hand in it too as you can see her sorting it out at the same time you see her in the selfie taken by you!
:) Thanks Mich ...

No mate that is a bizarre shot, liking the oddness of it, nicely put together too, works for me (y)
Oddness, yes, thanks DK

Hi David,

nicely done and well spotted on bizarre. For my money it's a good fit for the theme, and I like the way you've added the other three images. Is it just me, or does that selfie stick look like the sort of wing mirrors caravanners use? :confused:
Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about caravanner's wing mirrors or selfie sticks. :LOL:

Hi David
Household.... Like the idea, it's a strain on the brain to come up with unique ideas all the time and this one works for me. Like the carpet that really helps with the household message, if I let my OCD kick in ( no pun intended ;)) I'd have not lost the pairs off either end, but that's just me:rolleyes:. The top half removal has already been discussed:whistle:

Limit... Your welcome to come for a beer any time (blimey Dave's a cheap night out;))... Like the concept really nice lighting on a potentially nasty reflective subject. Really sharp focus and vignette works well and not overcooked. Nice work(y)

Bizarre ... That is! Eeerr my poor meagre brain cell is still trying to work this one out, so how can it be anything but bizarre!! It's been a long day so that's my excuse. It's sharp and great DOF and on theme(y) Perhaps I need those 2 cans of beer now;)

Good Stuff David!
Thanks Steve. Yes Household has its issues, but pleased you like the idea ... think I'll do a reshoot. Limit ... I used google's Lomo tool: boosts colour in the middle while adding a subtle vignette. Bizarre ... I've started using my 18-200mm more and for not-so-distant objects and as you say sharp with great DoF. Thanks again. (y)

Limit is close enough. The image works fine as it is, nicely lit, and nicely composed, and I like the reflection of one can in the other. I can't help thinking that more cans would have been more on theme though... Obviously this raises the problem of having to go out and buy a dozen cans of tramp fuel... and the knowing looks from the cashier!

Bizarre is indeed bizarre, really nicely done. It's a pretty cool idea for a shot.
Thanks Nick. I did try more items in Limit ... empty wine bottles and corks along with the cans but decided I liked just the two cans. Glad you like the reflection, look closer and you'll see the tripod too. Bizarre ... "cool" cheers. (y)

Hi David, limit - good idea but seems a bit dark to me, maybe up the exposure a tad? Bizarre - excellent, selfie sticks are bizarre anyway (or am I a luddite) - they just seem so narcissist using em. Love what you've done with it too :clap:

That really is a bizarre image, David! Very clever idea and well produced, and it certainly holds the attention for a while as you try to fathom it out. Nicely done (y)
Hi d00d, certainly bizarre with those floating screens :thinking:
Hi David, limit - good idea but seems a bit dark to me, maybe up the exposure a tad? Bizarre - excellent, selfie sticks are bizarre anyway (or am I a luddite) - they just seem so narcissist using em. Love what you've done with it too :clap:

Thanks Andrea, Allan & summer (y)

Hi David
I really don't know why I overthink these themes when I see your photo it seems so simple and obvious (in a nice way of course!).
This works really well and its always the simple shots that work so well(y) Great DOF working for you there, think the BG works nicely and solves any issues with thinking of an appropriate BG!
Crumbs on the surface enhances the "Broken" theme(y)

Hi David,

I'm really liking your broken shot, only one small crit - it's making me feel really hungry ;)

Hi David, nice colour in the biscuits? and nice DoF as said above simple but effective (y)

Hi David
I really don't know why I overthink these themes when I see your photo it seems so simple and obvious (in a nice way of course!).
This works really well and its always the simple shots that work so well(y) Great DOF working for you there, think the BG works nicely and solves any issues with thinking of an appropriate BG!
Crumbs on the surface enhances the "Broken" theme(y)
Thanks Steve ... I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Hi David,

I'm really liking your broken shot, only one small crit - it's making me feel really hungry ;)
Cantuccini Alla Mandorla ... yummeeee.

Hi David, nice colour in the biscuits? and nice DoF as said above simple but effective (y)
Cheers Allan (y)

Hey d00d,
I have to agree with the comments above, a nice simple shot, well executed.
The use of DoF really makes the broken cake jump out of the picture. (y)
Thanks Tim ... if I did a reshoot I might try bringing the broken one forward away from the BG pile, bit I don't know ...

Brilliant image David - texture and Dof are excellent.
Thanks Carl (y)

It was indeed David;)

Limit - made me laugh and I like the darkness of it and how you've managed to avoid too much reflection off the cans.
Bizarre - floating selfies, yes very bizarre!
Broken - great Dof and very yummy-looking biscuits.
Three great shots :clap:

Limit - Mine was Carlsberg Special, but then I was never a cheap date. Great comp and processing (y)
Bizarre - Certainly plays with my mind so yes, another good interpretation from you :)
Broken - I like a nice Biscotti ;). Looks a tad dark on my screen but a great idea nonetheless :clap::clap:

Limit - I like the simplicity in this, there isn't too much going on and from memory of this and Tennants Super, it doesn't take too many of cans of rocket fuel :). Great detail and lighting

Bizarre. Very original and well thought out (y)

Broken - it definitely is broken. Again well lit and composed (y)

yep, love your broken, waiting for my tea just now *sigh* is not fair :p

Limit......Very simple and fits the theme perfectly.

Bizarre.....I see what you've done, but it still does my noggin' in :LOL: Very good.

Broken....Again, very good! How many did you have to break before you found the "perfect" one?

Back