weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Pleased to see you've been having fun with your new radio transmitter and speedlight. I've not got the time nor the motivation to play with my new flash gear, perhaps this will help.

Nice work. (y)

Hi, thats a good selfie, didn't think I would ever hear myself say that but I like what you have done with the phone, the lighting works though it does make your eyes look a little alien, maybe they are

very good indeed (y)

Brilliantly done Dean.
One thing.....was someone pointing a gun at you? ;)

Living world - stunning image of a lovely place nice reflections in the water.

Spiky - that's very spiky indeed, loving the close up view of this.

Reshoot - that's a pleasing image, love the moss growing on the watering can. This image has plenty of character to it, excellent find.

Artificial - what a nice fun image for the theme, love the purple duck.

Personal - this is just excellent work, nothing at all for me to pick fault with.

Hi Dean, I'm sorry it's taken so long to get around to your thread, but I'm almost up to date with mine now and trying to return everyone's visits and then check the rest of the threads. Thanks for popping into mine a couple of times, and I'm here for a quick gallop through yours :)

Old - an ideal subject for this theme, with rich blacks and perfect DOF.
Thank you :)
Metal - what a great selection! I do like the strong red 'thing' in the first one and the way it contrasts with the colours and texture of the grass, and the rusty scrap in the third one, but it's the shapes, colours and textures of #2 that really stand out for me. Great DOF and I like the 'DK' shape too :)
Thanks... I do mean to pop back to the red thing and catch it in a different way :)
Captive - a really well posed scene with props that tell the story straightaway. The dark vignette and B&W processing add to the sense of danger.
:)
Miniature - a neat little mushroom with the contrasting size and colour of the grass helping to show the size. Bright and colourful with the snow adding a seasonal bonus (y)
Thanks... it sure was tiny :)
Happy - two lovely portraits and she definitely looks happy to be out with you :) I think the first is possibly the best one for this theme as the surroundings and camera give some clues as to why she might be happy.
Thanks again :)
Abandoned - a well spotted subject; with that massive crack high up it's a wonder it's still standing! Nice to see the colour and motion in the sky too, and a good choice not to convert to B&W.
Well I did try a B&W in the end but it looked bland to me :)
Camouflage - nicely done! Super bold colours and sharp details, and it took a moment to spot the jelly tot :)
Tasted good too :p
Danger - a nice choice of photos for this one, and some wild weather that was all-too familiar here all winter! I think #2 is the best fit for the theme, with the position and bold colours of the warning sign, but #3 is my favourite image of the set. There's just so much power in that wave and it's plain to see here, while the railing adds a real sense of scale. Glad you and your camera survived!
Mee tto :D
Topical - three good choices of subject, all bang on theme, but my favourite is the same as yours; the bright, bold colours and NHS logo really pop (y)
Simple is good at times isn't it :)
The Living World - stunning landscape with mirror-like reflections, a perfect sky and foreground interest from the rocks. Lovely, and definitely somewhere I want to visit.
You sure should if you ever come over ??
Spiky - what a photogenic cactus! Great colours and details, and clearly spot on for the theme.
Thankkkkks :)
Reshoot (metal) - super shot. Lots of lovely fresh natural colours, echoed in the gradual discolouration of the watering can. Super textures and DOF too.
:)
Artificial - made me smile :) I had something similar in mind for my back-up shot, so if my first choice doesn't work out don't be surprised to see something from my mum's garden pond! Most definitely artificial with those colours and sparkles. and a strong contrast when placed among the natural leaves and moss.
Great minds Hey :)
Personal - you can see the thought and work that has gone into this, and it's paid off with a strong and clever image that really holds the eye. The lighting and B&W processing are perfect :claps:
Cool - Thank you :cool:

I'm following your thread now so will be keeping up in future, and looking forward to seeing more of your images :)
WOW !!! thanks for the mammoth catch up Andrea (y) - I am behind myself so quick replies too :)

Hi DK well that's a really super shot, I love it ....inspired thinking to add the 'extra' face, it adds another dimension to it ....great lighting and perfect in the b&w :clap:
Cool - thanks Susie :)

Pleased to see you've been having fun with your new radio transmitter and speedlight. I've not got the time nor the motivation to play with my new flash gear, perhaps this will help.

Nice work. (y)
Cheers David... you really should, loving mine, need to get some softboxes for it now too :)

Really like Personal Dean very nicely done.a double Selfie! Love the B&W conversion really striking
Thanks Mark :)

Hi, thats a good selfie, didn't think I would ever hear myself say that but I like what you have done with the phone, the lighting works though it does make your eyes look a little alien, maybe they are

very good indeed (y)
They are a bit arn't they :D - Cheers Allan :)

Brilliantly done Dean.
One thing.....was someone pointing a gun at you? ;)
Hahaaaaa thats 'my look' when trying not to blink at the wrong time :D

Personal is a fabulous shot Dean and 10/10 for Effort :exit: heheheh
Hahaaaa - Thanks :p

Living world - stunning image of a lovely place nice reflections in the water.
Cheers Mandy :)

Spiky - that's very spiky indeed, loving the close up view of this.

Reshoot - that's a pleasing image, love the moss growing on the watering can. This image has plenty of character to it, excellent find.
Yeah... something about growth on metal :)

Artificial - what a nice fun image for the theme, love the purple duck.
QUACK !!!

Personal - this is just excellent work, nothing at all for me to pick fault with.
Thanks for the catch up Mandy :)

Right O...

Been manic at work Bla Bla Bla, so trying to get back on track, so here is a shot for last week's theme, didn't take too long to set up apart from the figure kept popping out of position.

I tried several different angles, but due to the dark car body and the bright alloy it was tough composition wise to keep the figure as the focal point, not perfect but this one was the best compromise of the ones I took :)

Wk 13 - Effort by TP DK, on Flickr

I really like this. As Tim has pointed out, it's on topic in more than one way and I love the fact that the figure appears to be doing all of the lifting rather than assisting a jack.

Lol DK, very good. That did make me chuckle. Quite an effective shot and it sells 'effort' in two ways.
Cheers Tim :D

I really like this. As Tim has pointed out, it's on topic in more than one way and I love the fact that the figure appears to be doing all of the lifting rather than assisting a jack.
Thank you too Ian :)

And onto this weeks...

I went out yesterday morning for a stroll at great Yarmouth sea front, unfortunately the light was harsh and the wind strong, so I came back with only a handful of images - that said I thought I had my image for this week,

I didn't want to go for something obvious, but on editing this morning I am not quite so sure now, it lacks the attention on the lady that I thought I could pull out of the imaget, and also feel the shot needs a sky, but hey the huts with sky had nobody in them so I have what was there... so here it is unless I get some more time this week, post and be damned

Wk 14 - 'Technology' - Who needs it !!!

Wk 14 - Technology by TP DK, on Flickr

Effort, belter, I was going to do something similar but wouldn't have been as good as yours :clap:

Technology, didn't get it to start with but, yeah, relaxed, in the moment and enjoying a good book. Wonderful. I usually have the TV on and either my Mac/iPad on my lap and iPhone by my side....very sad, considering nature of your Technology.

Cheers.

Effort - Now that is a cracker really clever idea

Technology - Lovely image really like the thinking behind it

Effort, nice, fun idea well taken.

Technology, good response to the theme, nice low tech image. Like you say the image could do with a little something more but a very good idea.

... and I'm still wondering who nicked my hubcaps. The wee man, down on one knee, is doing a nice job?

'Technology' - Who needs it!!! ... perfect ... this is the kind of theme interpretation I love ... top image too.

Effort.....Pure bloody genius.
Technology.....Low tech.....I like it a lot.
Very nicely done!

You're back with two good interpretations there, Dean! The little figure in Effort is perfectly positioned to appear to be taking up the strain, while the human figure in the background also appears to be hard at work too. Well done with the exposure too, given the extremes of lack paint and bright alloy. I do like the way you've turned Technology on its head and picked a subject with a complete lack of tech. A very serene and restful scene.

hi DK, good shot with the wooden man, not usually a fan but thats quite clever,
like your take on "technology" straight on to the three beach huts might have added more impact because of the symmetry, but i like your thinking anyway

Hi Dean - an absolute belter for Effort, well done :clap: Really like it and put a smile on my face!

Technology is a well taken shot but lacks a bit of oomph somehow. I struggle on that quite often so sympathise - can't fault the technical capture in any way, though.

Hi DK ....I love Effort ...what a great fun shot and a brilliant idea ...really well thought out :clap:

That's good 'thinking outside the box' for Technology ...I went a bit brain dead with it ....overthinking it and getting nowhere! How can you fail with beach huts ...I love them, and that lady looks so contented without all the distractions that we constantly carry around with us ...top marks again for your choice :)

Hi DK. Well done on the mini catch-up - two excellent & very novel concepts for the themes. The weight-lift deportment of the wooden figure is well thought out; the inclusion of the white knuckles of the man creates a visual relationship between support and effort - excellent. As for Technology, I don't think a sky would have added anything meaningful to the scene. I admire the fact that you managed to capture the expanse of all that white woodwork around without blowing the highlights or losing the internal details of the open hut. Bravo. (The main hut on it's own with the person framed by the open door panels would make a super image imho). :clap:

I love your creative thinking behind effort and technology. it's a really stong composition for effort and the dof works really well. I agree that simplifying the beach hut shot in some way might have put more emphasis on the person...I'm a bit jealous - looks like my perfect day (as long as I could have my camera by my side, too!)

Effort - great picture brought a smile to my face
Technology - great take on the theme I like it

Effort, clever, and nicely done too.
Technology, another clever take on a theme.
Thank you Clive :)

Effort, belter, I was going to do something similar but wouldn't have been as good as yours :clap:
Thanks Andy :)

What is it you were going to do ??

Technology, didn't get it to start with but, yeah, relaxed, in the moment and enjoying a good book. Wonderful. I usually have the TV on and either my Mac/iPad on my lap and iPhone by my side....very sad, considering nature of your Technology.

Cheers.
Thanks again, yeah exactly, I'm glad that books are still very popular, e-readers have boomed but many a people I think still prefer a good old paper book :)

Effort - Now that is a cracker really clever idea
Thanks Mark :)

Technology - Lovely image really like the thinking behind it

Effort, nice, fun idea well taken.
Cheers Chris :)

Technology, good response to the theme, nice low tech image. Like you say the image could do with a little something more but a very good idea.
Yup... it sure could, I was hoping to get out again but this week has just been manic :)

... and I'm still wondering who nicked my hubcaps. The wee man, down on one knee, is doing a nice job?
He gets everywhere mate, would have your gold fillings out if you yawn !!!

'Technology' - Who needs it!!! ... perfect ... this is the kind of theme interpretation I love ... top image too.
Cool - Thanks David :cool:

Effort.....Pure bloody genius.
Thanks Ruth :)
Technology.....Low tech.....I like it a lot.
Very nicely done!

Effort; love that and brilliant idea too. So happen I changed out the winter tyres on my Mini to normal summer tyres just last week and do understand the effort you need.
Thanks Stan :)

That is one thing I have never got around to doing, getting winter tyres, I know it makes sense but have never had the urge to buy another set of wheels !!!
Technology; yes indeed who need it. What's all these Facebook, email and interweb forums?
Hahaaaa yes indeed :D

You're back with two good interpretations there, Dean! The little figure in Effort is perfectly positioned to appear to be taking up the strain, while the human figure in the background also appears to be hard at work too. Well done with the exposure too, given the extremes of lack paint and bright alloy.
Thanks Andrea :)

I do like the way you've turned Technology on its head and picked a subject with a complete lack of tech. A very serene and restful scene.
Thanks again, it did seem a real nice way to relax on such a bright day :)

They bloke gets everywhere, nice take msde me chuckle,
Nice slant on technology
Thanks Walter :)

hi DK, good shot with the wooden man, not usually a fan but thats quite clever,
Thanks Allan :)

To be honest I have not used the gal in a photo ever before, this used to be my sons, I claimed it about a year ago, but have never had an idea to include her in :)
like your take on "technology" straight on to the three beach huts might have added more impact because of the symmetry, but i like your thinking anyway
Mmmmm I see what yo mean about straight on, I had to do it on the sligh as she kept looking up so I was taking shots to the far left most of the time and nabbed a couple when she looked back down :D

Hi Dean - an absolute belter for Effort, well done :clap: Really like it and put a smile on my face!
Cheers Paul :D

Technology is a well taken shot but lacks a bit of oomph somehow. I struggle on that quite often so sympathise - can't fault the technical capture in any way, though.
Cheers again mate, I know what you mean, I think a nice blue sky would give it a splash of colour, or different colour huts, but hey, we do what we can with what we get hey :)

Hi DK ....I love Effort ...what a great fun shot and a brilliant idea ...really well thought out :clap:
Oooo thanks Susie :)

That's good 'thinking outside the box' for Technology ...I went a bit brain dead with it ....overthinking it and getting nowhere! How can you fail with beach huts ...I love them, and that lady looks so contented without all the distractions that we constantly carry around with us ...top marks again for your choice :)
Cool - Thank a lot :) :cool:

Hi DK. Well done on the mini catch-up - two excellent & very novel concepts for the themes. The weight-lift deportment of the wooden figure is well thought out; the inclusion of the white knuckles of the man creates a visual relationship between support and effort - excellent.
Thanks Carl :)

The man is me, and yes I was deliberately gripping hard, glad you spotted it :)

I did run back and forth rather a lot of times, with the 10m second timer trying different poses moving feet etc. etc. the neighbours must of thought I was a lunatic :D

As for Technology, I don't think a sky would have added anything meaningful to the scene. I admire the fact that you managed to capture the expanse of all that white woodwork around without blowing the highlights or losing the internal details of the open hut. Bravo. (The main hut on it's own with the person framed by the open door panels would make a super image imho). :clap:
Hmmmm good thinking on the single hut, I may have a play with that on Sunday :)

I love your creative thinking behind effort and technology. it's a really stong composition for effort and the dof works really well. I agree that simplifying the beach hut shot in some way might have put more emphasis on the person...I'm a bit jealous - looks like my perfect day (as long as I could have my camera by my side, too!)
Haaaa yes I bet it was for the lady, it was nice and warm, the wind was strong but she was nice and sheltered - Thanks Emma :)

Effort - great picture brought a smile to my face
Technology - great take on the theme I like it
Thank you Minx :)

Effort - Simple shot that works perfectly! I like the fact there's someone 'putting effort in' in the BG too, adds some more to the theme.

Technology - Good take on the theme DK, the opposite of technology works for me! As others have mentioned, the detail that makes the shot fit is perhaps lost a little. A tighter crop to 2 of the huts maybe might've helped?

Effort - such a cool idea for the theme, quality

Technology - liking the idea and the way the viewer has to think a little.

Good idea there DK, well horned in I would say :)
Regarding the (lack of) sky you commented on. The very contrasty edges of the huts would have worked perfectly as edges for a mask so that you could have added a dramatic sky (or 2 or 3) as a background layer.

Effort - Simple shot that works perfectly! I like the fact there's someone 'putting effort in' in the BG too, adds some more to the theme.
Cheers Matt - That's what I was aiming for :)

Technology - Good take on the theme DK, the opposite of technology works for me! As others have mentioned, the detail that makes the shot fit is perhaps lost a little. A tighter crop to 2 of the huts maybe might've helped?[/QUOTE]Hmmmm thanks Matt, to be honest I thought of two, but didn't try it, sadly because the odd numbers tend to work better, maybe I should have not been so lazy and tried one :D

Effort - such a cool idea for the theme, quality
Thanks Lee :)

Technology - liking the idea and the way the viewer has to think a little.
Ahhh thanks, good point :)

Good idea there DK, well horned in I would say :)
Regarding the (lack of) sky you commented on. The very contrasty edges of the huts would have worked perfectly as edges for a mask so that you could have added a dramatic sky (or 2 or 3) as a background layer.
Now then Tim... I really WISH I knew how to do that, once I move I hope to have a bit more time to do stuff like that :)

And onto this weeks:

I had several ideas but wanted something not too obvious, one thing I tried was sailing boats on the sea, I spotted a few, the light was lovely on the water, I noticed a few sailors were leaning out of the boats virtually horizontal to keep them upright, so I walked down the beach to get in close, but then typically not ONE of them did it again :bang: I got some nice images but none on theme...

So I tied another couple of odd things, not sure if they worked... so here is the one I am going with, lots of horizontals in the bench, wall and shadows, I hope the person in it adds scale and a unusual point of interest :)

Wk 15 - Horizontal by TP DK, on Flickr

Liking that a lot DK. Lots of horizontals too. To me, the RHS needs cropping a smidgen though :)

Oh yeah, I like that a lot DK. A multi-compliance shot for the theme - wall, bench and figure. Nice candid, extremely well-spotted :clap:

Back