weekly foggy4ever's 52 for 2017 Week 14 Evolve(d)

I do like rhinos, especially small ones :)

I think a crop would draw the eye more. Off all Seidel, but especially the left and right.

Great contact and well spotted.

Cheers.

Ah! lovely shot ST ... nice to see an animal like this being comforted, shows a strong relationship between the two. Excellent for the theme.
Cheers, they are still quite shy so very pleased to see one and how much trust it has with the girl.
I like the way you've caught the physical contact between keeper and rhino - that sunshine looks very inviting :)
I just wish the Rhino could have enjoyed the sun too as it was quite nice.
:agree: yes good point. A pleasing image.
(y)
I do like rhinos, especially small ones :)

I think a crop would draw the eye more. Off all Seidel, but especially the left and right.

Great contact and well spotted.

Cheers.

It's already had a small crop and I didn't want to go too far in as it was in dark shade and the noise would become more apparent.

Cheers

Great shot of the rhino and keeper, might of been better to just bring down the top of the photo, as my eye is drawn to the covering. Love the cat all warm and comfy too :)

I have nearly as much wildlife at home as at the Park :D

Last edited:
Both shots work fine for the the theme, but I like the emotional context of the first.
YWP is on my list for this year, even if it it about 3 hours from me.

Hi Foggy.

#2 of your comfort shots for me. Not just because I'm a sucker for cute cat images, but because the black & white points are strong, so it doesn't come across as washed out. Focus is also on her face well. (y)

To my eyes, #1 needs the white and black points setting appropriately, and the saturation and brightness of the grass working on (unless it really was that bright yellow hue - I guess it might have been, it looks in bright sunlight while the rest of the image is in shade) as it doesn't fit with the rest of the shot.

The big white strip distracts for me in the first, with that cropped out its a nice photo, but for me the second one does it, nice and cosy for sure, very effective DoF (y)
The top of the door does seem to attrack the most crit, I'd probably pull the crop back a little to show more of the building than go tighter. She was half a sleep watching me on the PC, tried to get her to open her eye a little more but she wasn't playing along.
Both shots work fine for the the theme, but I like the emotional context of the first.
YWP is on my list for this year, even if it it about 3 hours from me.
The hand feeding was great to watch, at distance though. Just bought annual passes and about 20mins away.
The rhino is lovely, it must be amazing to be that keeper and get so close to one, but I'd definitely nip that top strip off. Barbie all snuggled up is really cute, the DoF works really well, perfect for the theme.
Barbie is a great for the opertune snap. It will be great to see the Rhinos out when their confidence builds.
Hi Foggy.

#2 of your comfort shots for me. Not just because I'm a sucker for cute cat images, but because the black & white points are strong, so it doesn't come across as washed out. Focus is also on her face well. (y)

To my eyes, #1 needs the white and black points setting appropriately, and the saturation and brightness of the grass working on (unless it really was that bright yellow hue - I guess it might have been, it looks in bright sunlight while the rest of the image is in shade) as it doesn't fit with the rest of the shot.

The Rhinos were in deep shadow so the light was poor also making everything in the bright sun over exposed.
Barbie was a bit of luck as I was going through my YWP shots, the D3 had the 70-200 on next to me so I just had to turn round.

The composition of the rhino shot doesn't quite work for me, but I guess you've been limited by the barriers... But who doesn't like a cute cat photo :)

The top of the door does seem to attrack the most crit, I'd probably pull the crop back a little to show more of the building than go tighter. She was half a sleep watching me on the PC, tried to get her to open her eye a little more but she wasn't playing along.
Sounds like Mrs DK :D

Comfort and 2 images I do like the rhino shot, but the second shot fits the theme better in my eyes. That cat does look comfy in that blanket, I think maybe it could be improved if there was a bit more of the cats face to bee seen.

Really wanted a close up head shot of a Lion for this but they were being very shy but polar bears were having a lot of fun jumping into the water so here they are.

YWP 21-01-2017 01 by Scott, on Flickr

I would have cropped the last bear out just leaving the one in the water and the one jumping I think it would make as much better composition

A very nice action shot ST- excellent timing. I can understand what Allan is saying about the crop but I do like the water movement off the rear of the bear lhs.

Good stuff the 3rd bear doesn't bother me either :)

I would have cropped the last bear out just leaving the one in the water and the one jumping I think it would make as much better composition

I agree, or I would have tried a different image size taking some off the top and the bottom as I like the water shaking off the hairy bear.

You've caught loads of detail on the one jumping in what looks like poor lighting (y)

A very nice action shot ST- excellent timing. I can understand what Allan is saying about the crop but I do like the water movement off the rear of the bear lhs.

Good stuff the 3rd bear doesn't bother me either :)

I agree, or I would have tried a different image size taking some off the top and the bottom as I like the water shaking off the hairy bear.

You've caught loads of detail on the one jumping in what looks like poor lighting (y)

A great shot of the one jumping in to play with the one in the water, agree on the crop (y)

Thanks all. The shot already had a slight crop and I wouldn't like to go too much further in as it needed some noise reduction that lost a little detail. All 3 were playing together so wanted to keep them as a group.

I'm currently using 2 bodies at the YWP, FX with a 70-200 and a DX with a 300 plus 1.4 tc and there is a significant gap between the long end on the zoom and the prime so sometimes one bodies too long and the other is too short as in this case and I refrain from swapping lenses when I'm out if I can.

Comfort - You've caught a nice moment between the rhino and the keeper but for me I much prefer #2, love the DOF and the eye just peeking out.
Hairy - certainly fits the theme and again it's a nice moment that you have caught, while I like the frozen water drops I wonder what it would have been like at a slightly slower shutter speed to add some blur/movement on the bear just jumping in.

Great action shot. I'm torn between a closer crop without the bear on the left and leaving it as it is.

Good photo of the bear jumping in

Lovely action shot - maybe a wider (16:9?) crop would have worked, but i like all three bears in the shot and the water droplets have been captured very well :)

Great start to your 52 love the Cat all snuggled up for Comfy

Nicely caught action shot there, and also liking the water droplets caught too... I'm glad you kept them in a group, and a group of three at that works well for me :)

Comfort - You've caught a nice moment between the rhino and the keeper but for me I much prefer #2, love the DOF and the eye just peeking out.
Hairy - certainly fits the theme and again it's a nice moment that you have caught, while I like the frozen water drops I wonder what it would have been like at a slightly slower shutter speed to add some blur/movement on the bear just jumping in.
I think the slower shutter speed would need a single bear and a tripod.
Great action shot. I'm torn between a closer crop without the bear on the left and leaving it as it is.

Super natural shot ...those water drops definitely add to the action.

Thanks all,

This one came in a close second but I would have preferred it a little sharper/higher shutter speed.
YWP 21-01-2017 09 by Scott, on Flickr

Smooth...weather a little poor at the moment so indoor play time. Never tried this before so here goes a slow shutter speed to allow the zoom ring to be turned very smoothly.

Week 4 smooth_filtered by Scott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hope you get better soon Scott. Yes, good experimentation - nice effect, eye catching.

Stonking image .... not sure what it is .... fairytale motorbike thing with fab processing.

Hi Foggy.

Hairy - Like many of the other comments, I quite like the group, and the action of the bear jumping in is cool, but as you say, that they are facing away does take away some of the impact.
I think I prefer the second submission as the bear is larger in the frame. I don't see any issues with shutter speed being too slow, you've caught the water droplets and frozen the action. If anything, a slightly slower shutter and some motion blur might add to the action.

Smooth - Looks a fun experiment. Another way of doing it is to spin the body and keep the lens still, but that gives a completely different look.
The bike is based on a Harley I guess, with the V twin, those forks and what looks like a hard tail. Yes?

Like the shot and effect that you have managed to get on the shot Scott, quite ghostly too (y)

I like the result ....an interesting eye catching shot ... definitely worth the experiment.

Hope you get better soon Scott. Yes, good experimentation - nice effect, eye catching.
It was the weather that was poorly :D
Stonking image .... not sure what it is .... fairytale motorbike thing with fab processing.

Hi Foggy.

Hairy - Like many of the other comments, I quite like the group, and the action of the bear jumping in is cool, but as you say, that they are facing away does take away some of the impact.
I think I prefer the second submission as the bear is larger in the frame. I don't see any issues with shutter speed being too slow, you've caught the water droplets and frozen the action. If anything, a slightly slower shutter and some motion blur might add to the action.

Smooth - Looks a fun experiment. Another way of doing it is to spin the body and keep the lens still, but that gives a completely different look.
The bike is based on a Harley I guess, with the V twin, those forks and what looks like a hard tail. Yes?

The second Polar bear shot was me just pixel peeping and being very picky. Its a lighter, my mil used to buy me a different one at Christmas as I used to enjoy the occasional cigar.
An old picture of it when I was testing the 35mm f/1.8

Motorbike lighter by Scott, on Flickr

Can't have a week without shoe horning a YWP shot so here is a Giant Otter with a smooth face.
YWP 29-01-2017 06 by Scott, on Flickr

Thanks all.

I think the slower shutter speed would need a single bear and a tripod.

Thanks all,

This one came in a close second but I would have preferred it a little sharper/higher shutter speed.

D500 would have nailed that !! :)

Back