Greengo's TP52 2016 - Week 50 & 51 Added

Great idea and nice DoF. As previous posters have mentioned the smallest doll could be a tiny bit sharper, and it might be even better if the key light wasn't straight from the front.

Nice warm colours and nice DoF. Like others have said, I would like seeing the tiny doll more in focus.

Well lit and I like the composition too but you've missed the focus as none of the dolls are in focus. Try focusing on the smallest and half depressing the button as you recompose (apologies if you knew how to do that already)

Hi Colin

Trying to catch up on my commenting

Old: Works for me my only slight criticism would be the wriggle in the cloth

Metal: Really like the DOF on the first one and fits the theme

Captive: Defiantly says captive to me

Miniature: Great take and love the DOF blurring the bigger dolls just enough

Waits until midweek before posting as work gets in the way...

Anyhoo... A local chinese take away have a fill your box option for up to 4 people... This is their design on the front... A wee happy chinese type guy who is "rice to see you" when you buy the food... when you are finished and turn the box upside down he is then sad...
I liked the happy face and thought it would fit in well with the theme... hope you like it... its basic yes but I was pushed for time this week so had to shoe-horn something in ;)

HAPPY
Happy.jpg

Happy - Nice simple Image that fits the theme and is a fun take on it, but I agree with Mandy not much to hold your attention

Good for you Colin, a nice fun grab shot for the theme.... I'm still struggling.

I like it more after reading about turning the box upside down :)

It sort of fit the happy theme. :) I understand sometimes when work or life gets in the way you just have to get the shot done and move on. Don't know if anyone notice but looking at the image and if you turn your head or better still turn the image up-side-down it's actually a sad face! :(

Only just done my happy shot so know how you feel.
fits the theme and I spotted that he would not be happy if you rotated him.

So ABANDONED ehhh... I had an idea of an old abandoned boat near where I live but the weather on the coast thanks to Henry just didnt cut it for me... Did a bit of asking around and found this old abandoned house... Used some HDR on the house image but I loved the old bath out the back of the house which I stumbled upon by accident whilst wandering round hehe...

Hope you like them...

Abandoned.jpg

House.jpg

2 Great images love the bath that's a big house shame the top right corner of the building has been cropped

A great find for the first Abandon - presumably the bath is being used as an animal trough? I may be tempted for a tight crop to exclude all bar the bath, that branch at the top of the wall and part of the wall to the right. My fave is the second - what an absolutely wonderful house. - a photographers dream. Yes, the top is clipped and the "keying" effect needs attention but I think the HDR works really well. :clap:

I really like both images, the bath tub is a great find. I like to processing on the second image, though I don't really know how you got it to look how it does. Is the glow around the building an addition or merely the sun hiding behind it?

Whats the "keying" effect Carl if you dont mind me asking ?
Sorry, my terminology Colin. What I was to describe verticals seeming to converge with height. Easy fix in post-processing to straighten the towers and stop the building seeming to lean back ... .if you know what I mean.

I like the second abandoned shot better, but the HDR is overcooked for my taste. Echo the clipped corner that others spotted, too.

The bath is an interesting subject, just looks a bit flat for me, like a change in perspective might make it more interesting?

Colin, really like you Happy image, good exposure and DoF. I prefer your first image for the Abandoned theme, why is the bath there, who left it and do sheep or cattle drink or eat from it. Excellent

I think the first shot has more potential. Maybe from a lower position and more tightly cropped. The second shot is a bit too overprocessed for my taste.

Happy - Nice to know the background behind it. Good sharp shot.

Abandoned - Agree with Bernd that I think the first shot has more potential but it's an interesting find. The building in the second shot looks amazing, not a fan of the HDR glow around the building though.

In my opinion the bathtub is a bit of a 'snapshot' - interesting subject matter but not a striking photo.

The second shot, is much more promising - interesting composition, I'd just raise the blacks slightly in PP to give it more punch. Also you could lose a little grass in the foreground to tighten the composition.

Happy - simple and straight forward but perhaps a tad too simple ......

Abandoned - I think the batch could have been a lot better shot with some alternate composition and PPing - like the big house (although not usually a fan of HDR) slight niggle with the top of the tower being cropped, but like it !

Hi Colin,
The bath is the winner for me, it definitely sells abandoned.
The HDR is not to my taste, though it would work if the theme were 'ghostly'.
Loosing the top of the right hand tower to the crop is a shame too.

Camouflage(d) I struggled with this week... grrrr... work commitments etc will throw up a barrier for me every so often and for the life of me I couldnt think of what to do... thought about camo paint for someones face... thought about someone in a camouflaged coat but couldnt think of a location etc...
In the end I dug out some old sneakers... I mostly wear converse as a causal shoe and then remembered I had a pair of vans that had a camo look to them... so my idea was that the vans were trying to fit in with the other shoes as they were "CAMOUFLAGED"...
you see what I did there...

I'm not overly whelmed by these pics... I tried some SC on the 2nd shot and with better lighting I probably could have conquered it... but you get my drift...
Camo.jpg

Camo 2.jpg

Back