weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

Cheers, I'll give that a try. Should I drop down to say 1/250th and reduce the aperture rather than relying on the high speed sync?

I would. In fact I would try a range of slower speeds until it looked right!

Week 44 : Seasonal

Catching up and catching Autumn at it's drabbest. A dreary November day.

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 44 : Seasonal
by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 45 : Full

The weir by the Mill on the Exe, oddly enough in Exeter.

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 45 : FULL
by Tim White, on Flickr
Capturing the energy of the water as it flows over the weir. I also tried a few longer exposures, but felt this had more ompfh to it.

Full Take 2

Again, this is the river Exe, very full.

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 45 : FULL
by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 46 : Habit

"Coffee Habit". My first go at 'street', okay, so I'm rubbish at it and should stick to trains ;)

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 46 : Habit (Coffee)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim,

Inverse: No. 2 for me. The bridge seems to pop out more in this shot.
Shimmer. A nice shimmering reflection. A good shot for a very tricky theme.
Elements: I like the colours that have come out in the ring. Good idea on this one. One I will have a go at myself I think.
Seasonal: Nice shot. The tree that is losing it's leaves has caught the sun nicely and really stands out
Full: The weir shot for me. Plenty of full on raw power in that.
Habit: Well done for having a crack at street. It takes a lot to point a camera at a stranger I think. No.2 is great - the vignetting works well. Much better IMHO (y)

Reactions: LC2
Hi, black and white a definite improvement, Its a personal thing but I am not keen on street photography or what people think of as street photography generally on this forum

non the less it has the element of the subject within it so can't fault it there

Hi Tim well done with keeping up.

Seasonal ...unfortunately we do have those rather gloomy days, so spot on for the theme.
Full ....I like the moving water, well captured and full of power.
Habit ... I might be tempted to crop a bit off the left hand side to give a more isolated feel to it, she looks a bit wistful. I like the choice for the theme and much prefer the black and white, it definitely adds more to the shot.

Hi Tim.
Love Full #1 with the water crashing over the weir - shows energy & power. As for Habit, Yes clearly coffee fits the bill - I prefer the b&w of #2 best - love the concentration displayed facially by the subject.

Seasonal; Looks quite a nice sunny day to me, well in my part of UK that would be summer. Just a shame about the boring sky otherwise its a nice sharp image and on theme.

Full; prefer the weir shot showing the water at full flow and nice texture too.

Habit; prefer the B&W version with the person on the left more or less faded out just a bit distracting in the colour version.

Hi Tim,

Inverse: No. 2 for me. The bridge seems to pop out more in this shot.
Shimmer. A nice shimmering reflection. A good shot for a very tricky theme.
Elements: I like the colours that have come out in the ring. Good idea on this one. One I will have a go at myself I think.
Seasonal: Nice shot. The tree that is losing it's leaves has caught the sun nicely and really stands out
Full: The weir shot for me. Plenty of full on raw power in that.
Habit: Well done for having a crack at street. It takes a lot to point a camera at a stranger I think. No.2 is great - the vignetting works well. Much better IMHO (y)
Thanks Lee. I really should have a go at re-shooting Elements following the advice I've had on here, it wasn't bad for a first attempt but I hope I can do better.
You're spot on about the 'Habit' shot. Not something I was at ease doing.

Hi, black and white a definite improvement, Its a personal thing but I am not keen on street photography or what people think of as street photography generally on this forum

non the less it has the element of the subject within it so can't fault it there
Cheers Allan. Street REALLY isn't my genre and I don't think it's something you'll see me attempting (or at least very often), give me trains, boats, buildings any time ;)

Hi Tim well done with keeping up.

Seasonal ...unfortunately we do have those rather gloomy days, so spot on for the theme.
Full ....I like the moving water, well captured and full of power.
Habit ... I might be tempted to crop a bit off the left hand side to give a more isolated feel to it, she looks a bit wistful. I like the choice for the theme and much prefer the black and white, it definitely adds more to the shot.
Thanks Susie.
The 'Full' shot wsa (imo) the best of the bunch I took there, I tried a smoothed feel, but prefered the raw agression of the shot posted. I've geo-tagged the location now incase anyone else wants to have a play there.
I tried a few other crops for Habit, and I did actually try cropping other the others, but I don't think it really worked. Obscuring them in the vignette worked better.

Hi Tim.
Love Full #1 with the water crashing over the weir - shows energy & power. As for Habit, Yes clearly coffee fits the bill - I prefer the b&w of #2 best - love the concentration displayed facially by the subject.
:agree:

Seasonal; Looks quite a nice sunny day to me, well in my part of UK that would be summer. Just a shame about the boring sky otherwise its a nice sharp image and on theme.

Full; prefer the weir shot showing the water at full flow and nice texture too.

Habit; prefer the B&W version with the person on the left more or less faded out just a bit distracting in the colour version.
Cheers Stan. The sky is the worst part of the seasonal shot for sure. The shame is, during the journey (I'm 4+ hours from Exeter by train) there was some great skies, from vibrant blue to moody clouds. When I eventually got there it was just a bit meh. I would have tried to avoid the sky altogether, but that's a bit hard when capturing a shot like that :/
Full; I agree, it's a better shot but the other may have ben seen as more closely on subject. The B&W + vignette processing was defintely the better 'Habit# shot.

Hi Tim, I love the way you've captured the splashing and movement in the weir shot and I agree that the mono conversion for Habit improves what is already a good image.

1st "full" for me Tim, the processing or the focusing is a little awry in the 2nd IMO
An improvement no?
I like that a lot (y)

Hi, Seasonal, on theme but a little busy.

Full #2 for me, I like the perspective.

Habit, Coffee, many people's habit. Nice streets photograph and I prefer the B&W.

Cheers.

Hi Tim

Seasonal ... I like the light on that tree and the way it stands out, but not sure about the FG LHS and the appearance of those people, think I would have cloned that out.

Full 2 ... nice focus and light on the fore/mid ground ... I feel the BG could be either more focused or less focused. Hmmm :thinking:

Habit ... she a definite coffee addict. Nice B&W vignette job. I see what @susiejb means about copping the left.

Hi Tim :)

Sorry, a bit behind with yours again :coat:

Inverse - 3 nice images to chose from here, liking all 3 in their own way, I like the boat that is slightly visible in the first, but also the arch in the others, tough choice !!! - going for no:2 :)

Shimmer - Nice wavy reflection nice tight crop at the top to emphasise the water :)

Elements - Nice idea, good try too, no 52 entry is a fail for me, it got you to experiment out of your comfort zone, so top result (y)

Seasonal - The colours of grass banks work really nicely, as do the layers of background, like it :)

Full - As you put it, I prefer the ommmph shot of the two :)

Habit - Mmmmmmm Coffee, works for me :D

The coffee re process is an improvement, I like that it makes the "subject" more obvious. Vignette looks a bit heavy?

Week 47 : Covered

Firstly, (Un)Covered. I believe this is Tony Trude's sunken houseboat, the "Land of Cockaign", uncovered by the low tide at the mouth of the River Wandle. I've been meaning to get down to this wreck for some months and I think it shoehorns in nicely.

Week 47 : (Un) Covered : Land Of Cockaign
by Tim White, on Flickr

But I guess, this is spot on topic (much more boring though).

Week 47 : Covered (Coverage of London)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Onwards to Week 48 : Connected

In keeping with my on-going theme, I present a pair of South West Train's Class 456s connected to each other at Chessington South.

Week 48 : Connected
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim :)

Covered - a couple of good links to the theme, but sorry neither do much for me photography wise, nice story with the boat, just feel the shots needs something to give it umph :)

Connected - Now then, this I really like, great composition, lovely bold colours and great symmetry too - love it :clap:

The sunken barge is really cool. And it has no scale which makes me think it would lend itself to a bit of tilt shift if you like that sort of effect, it floats my boat anyway! :LOL:

The trains make a good image, as dark knight says. A real corker that! Well done.

And you can claim a double selfie for good measure... ;)

@Cobra - Indeed, it's quite fun.

@Dark Knight - Until I saw @Brian_of_Bozeat's comment, I wasn't sure what else I could do to the shot other than wait for the combination of "bright sunlight, low tide, day off", which may never happen, but hmm Tilt Shift effect, let's give it a go...
I agree, the two trains coupled was my fav of the 3 shots, the colours are what make it in my opinion.

@Brian_of_Bozeat, like this you mean?

Week 47 : (Un) Covered : Land Of Cockaign
by Tim White, on Flickr
It does give it a boost doesn't it :)

And you can claim a double selfie for good measure...
I would have cloned those out if I didn't think I'd make a complete hash of it ;)

Hi, glad you followed Brian's advice about the tilt shift much better (y)

And i can only agree with the above comments for connected its really very good, nice symmetry :clap:

Hi Tim ...the 'tilt/shift' definitely gives the boat a bit of life, that's the second time I've seen it mentioned today but must confess I have no idea what it is ...another one to Google!
It sounds as if Tony Trude had a wonderful life on the river.

Love your connected shot ...a really nice colourful composition, and there's even a photo of you in it :)

The houseboat is growing on me. The tube map says connected! The clean colourful connected train carriages are super, I like the crop but there's also some interesting stuff in the middle there, needs bringing out.

Personally not too keen on the tilt shift for the boat, the tube map is a nice crossover between covered and connected, and nice colours in those super- shiney trains

Hi, Tim... Both of the shots for covered are not too special for me... Although I must say that the tilt/shift really change the perspective for that boat shot. It's amazing how it looks unreal that one...

Connected: I love the colours, love the symmetry. It's just the right shot and somehow made me happy just looking at it (weird, I know :D) :clap:

Just spent half an hour I didn't have looking up tilt and shift!! Super images - Covered looks great in the edited form - great to see how a bit of light handed PS can give life to a sound image. Connected - this was my favorite for all the reasons given - nice work!!

Ahhhhhh thats more like it, looking the centre of interest for me now and not just a snapshot - as a tilt shift it works great, tough to tell it is real, like it (y)
Yes, it does improve it a lot. Cheers.

It looks super mate, nice one. (y)
Ta. That was a good idea of yours :)

Hi, glad you followed Brian's advice about the tilt shift much better (y)

And i can only agree with the above comments for connected its really very good, nice symmetry :clap:
Cheers Allan. I agree, Brian's idea definitely improved the shot.
I got a few interesting looks taking the 'connected' shot... I do think it works well, and that's SoC too.

Hi Tim ...the 'tilt/shift' definitely gives the boat a bit of life, that's the second time I've seen it mentioned today but must confess I have no idea what it is ...another one to Google!
It sounds as if Tony Trude had a wonderful life on the river.

Love your connected shot ...a really nice colourful composition, and there's even a photo of you in it :)
Cheers Susie :)

The houseboat is growing on me. The tube map says connected! The clean colourful connected train carriages are super, I like the crop but there's also some interesting stuff in the middle there, needs bringing out.
The train is actually SoC, I framed it like that :)
I wasn't too sure about the map, but I wanted something Covered as well as (Un)Covered and a shot of the River Wandle with the boat fully submerged would have been very boring and grey.

Personally not too keen on the tilt shift for the boat, the tube map is a nice crossover between covered and connected, and nice colours in those super- shiney trains
TS isn't everyone's cup of tea, and not something I'd do to every shot, but you must admit it does focus the attention on the vessel itself.

Hi, Tim... Both of the shots for covered are not too special for me... Although I must say that the tilt/shift really change the perspective for that boat shot. It's amazing how it looks unreal that one...

Connected: I love the colours, love the symmetry. It's just the right shot and somehow made me happy just looking at it (weird, I know :D) :clap:
The TS processing of the boat. I deliberately upped the saturation to give it more of a model like apperance.

Just spent half an hour I didn't have looking up tilt and shift!! Super images - Covered looks great in the edited form - great to see how a bit of light handed PS can give life to a sound image. Connected - this was my favorite for all the reasons given - nice work!!
Cheers Richard. If that's your first go at the TS effect, you've nailed it :) I guess you selected a larger in focus area to me judging by the image as your image is evidently different :)

LC2 said - "Cheers Richard. If that's your first go at the TS effect, you've nailed it :) I guess you selected a larger in focus area to me judging by the image as your image is evidently different :)"

Thanks - Yes I wanted to show what the great texture you have captured of the foreground - really great shot! Liking it more as it grows on me!

Nice story about the first Covered shot and spot on theme.

I thought the map could also be use for the Connected theme too.

The trains are perfectly balance and very colourful. Initially I thought it's a single train and mirror imaged in photoshop for the other 'half' but the tree and building background together with the window reflection gave it away.

Hi Tim. No idea what T&S is but with all the commentary and the before n afters, I will need to investigate. Such an interesting story - so nice to go with an image too. Bold is best for the theme so it the train shot that works best for me. :clap:

No idea what T&S is
" Tilt and Shift" is a style,
Lens are available or it can be done in photo shop as a tweak.
Have a nose around Google ( et al) (y)

Hi, Covered #1 works well with the backstory. Flat lighting but interesting angle.

Connected is well composed, slight crop maybe, but good detail.

Cheers.

Back