LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Week 10 - Attractive

Having played this game for the past 12 years, with (currently) 216 days 14 hours on this character alone, there must be something attractive to the game play.
Taken with the Blizzard Selfie Cam (Mk2)
Work done to correct the blue colour cast that the light in Icecrown imparts, and cropped to fill the frame.
It seems there was a photobomber around too.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 10 : Attractive
by Tim White, on Flickr

I wasn't expecting that, had to do a bit of a search part of World of Warcraft apparently. thats a lot of hours so you must indeed find it attractive (y)

I really like that, very different and works really well IMHO.

That's quite unusual, but I guess it fits the brief :)

Routine - Nothing wrong with the first shot but prefer the second, for me it has much more scale with the guy working on it.

Numbers - I'm impressed with a 400 mile round trip to get a photo, most of mine have been taken indoors this year! Worth it for the POV though as it's what makes the shot.

Attractive - That's a lot of hours :) Not a game I've played but have passed enough hours over the years on other games.

Really out-there as a take on the theme from a photographic point of view but nothing wrong with that, it's good to be challenged.

I wasn't expecting that, had to do a bit of a search part of World of Warcraft apparently. thats a lot of hours so you must indeed find it attractive (y)
Spot on, it is World of Warcraft. I've just tallied up the hours across my main characters and it came to 361 days. That's 8% of the last 12 years. Bloody Hell !!!

I really like that, very different and works really well IMHO.
Thanks Roger

No that is an unusual choice Tim, and damn some dedication there (y)
No one said I can't use a virtual camera ;)

That's quite unusual, but I guess it fits the brief :)
:)

Routine - Nothing wrong with the first shot but prefer the second, for me it has much more scale with the guy working on it.

Numbers - I'm impressed with a 400 mile round trip to get a photo, most of mine have been taken indoors this year! Worth it for the POV though as it's what makes the shot.

Attractive - That's a lot of hours :) Not a game I've played but have passed enough hours over the years on other games.
Thanks Steve.
The sea wall at Dawlish is pretty famous, I've fancied popping down there for a few years.

If you find it Attractive then it fits the theme well :)
:)

Really out-there as a take on the theme from a photographic point of view but nothing wrong with that, it's good to be challenged.
It's good to be different, don't worry, I'm sure some trains will sneak back in next week.

Week 11 - Dark

Taken on the Mad Hants Photo Charter that was run on Friday 17th, whilst the station looks deserted, there are actually 30 or so Hi Vis sporting togs on the near platform. It's actually surprisingly hard to get decent shots with all of the other photographers about. An interesting experience though, being transported in a guards van, and able to stop the train anywhere we wanted to set up and take shots. After dark, however, we were restricted to the stations and shed (to avoid people falling down holes, trip hazards etc.)

I think this came out quite well. A 10 second exposure using my 85mm f/1.8 @ f/10 and iso 100 in order to blur the exhaust, yet keep most of the image in focus.
Colour image, converted to B&W and then Picasa was used to add the cross processing effect.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 11 : Dark
by Tim White, on Flickr

;)

It is, but there was still a certain amount of thought put into it.
The subjects are on the right hand third, the horizon line is on a third, there are perhaps leading lines, I had to fix the colour balance..
I can see that Tim - I guess it can sometimes be hard to crit photos when they are very far away from you own experience. I really do value seeing lots of different ideas and approaches to the themes - it's one of the best bits of being part of the 52 (y)
Wow - I've just seen your dark photo - that is truly amazing. The composition, steam, starburst and detail on the platform - incredibly tricky to manage I would think, but you've nailed it :clap:

Great photo Tim, love the blurring of the steam contrasted against the clarity of the station with very nicely balanced lighting. Really well done :clap:

I agree with everyone else great train pic, lovely old station too

Brilliant shot, the lighting and composition and processing go together to create a great atmosphere.
My favourite shot for dark.
Nice one.

Great photo, very atmospheric. I like the composition and the slight blur of the smoke. Very sharp too.

Hi Tim

Not sure what to say about Attractive ... other than I see what you mean ... addicted more like. :)

Dark ... :agree: ... a belter. Picasa cross processing was a good choice. Def. within your top 10 train pics, if not #1. :clap:

Shot of the week for me so far, so much atmosphere in the shot. Particularly like the starburst of the lamp, the smooth steam and the light down the side of the engine. Very well controlled shot.

awesome Tim, so much atmosphere
Cheers 'Frank'

I can see that Tim - I guess it can sometimes be hard to crit photos when they are very far away from you own experience. I really do value seeing lots of different ideas and approaches to the themes - it's one of the best bits of being part of the 52 (y)
Wow - I've just seen your dark photo - that is truly amazing. The composition, steam, starburst and detail on the platform - incredibly tricky to manage I would think, but you've nailed it :clap:
It's not too hard to create except when there are 30 odd other camera wielding lunatics getting in the way

Nice and atmospheric Tim,and quite dark too....
Ta Mark

I like that, fits the theme and very atmospheric
Cheers

Great photo Tim, love the blurring of the steam contrasted against the clarity of the station with very nicely balanced lighting. Really well done :clap:
I've been playing with long exposure night scenes and steam/smoke a bit, this is probably one of the better ones.

Love it, Tim. Nice atmospheric shot, long exposure resulting with the misty steam/smoke works excellent too. :clap:
Ta Stan

I agree with everyone else great train pic, lovely old station too
Cheers Allan, it could almost be from the 50s I believe.

Brilliant shot, the lighting and composition and processing go together to create a great atmosphere.
My favourite shot for dark.
Nice one.
Thanks Roger. I can't claim the lighting as my own, as they were placed to illuminate the loco, there is a bit more light than there would usually be, camera left.

Great photo, very atmospheric. I like the composition and the slight blur of the smoke. Very sharp too.
Thanks

Dark, belter, very eerie and has a film noir feel about it.

Cheers.
Yes, film noir, that's the right term for the feel I was trying for. ta :)

Hi Tim

Not sure what to say about Attractive ... other than I see what you mean ... addicted more like. :)

Dark ... :agree: ... a belter. Picasa cross processing was a good choice. Def. within your top 10 train pics, if not #1. :clap:
There hasn't been a lot of love for my Virtual Camera shot, hey ho, I wasn't expecting it to be loved :)
As I was saying to @Emja, I did do some work to make the composition more than a 'snap', and worked on the colour balance too.

I do like the Picasa Cross Processing effect, but I try to restrain myself.

Shot of the week for me so far, so much atmosphere in the shot. Particularly like the starburst of the lamp, the smooth steam and the light down the side of the engine. Very well controlled shot.
Thanks Steve.

A great shot Tim, love the old effect you have done, nice blur on the smoke and good focus on the train :)
Thanks Dave.

That is a seriously good photograph young master Tim.

Actually I wanted to say it was a seriously atmospheric photograph but others have beaten me too it. :clap::clap::clap:

lovely composition, lovely subject matter, and plenty of mood. perhaps a little green in my eye, but it is what it is. really nice, and surprisingly calming to look at. i may return to stare at this later on. :) bravo.

Very atmospheric image Tim ...I love it :clap:
Thanks Susie

That is a seriously good photograph young master Tim.

Actually I wanted to say it was a seriously atmospheric photograph but others have beaten me too it. :clap::clap::clap:
I must admit, I am quite pleased with it, and the processing.

lovely composition, lovely subject matter, and plenty of mood. perhaps a little green in my eye, but it is what it is. really nice, and surprisingly calming to look at. i may return to stare at this later on. :) bravo.
The green is a result of the Cross Processing effect, which in film days was the procedure of deliberately processing one type of film in a chemical solution intended for another type.
The original is also on my flickr stream at https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/33193523240/in/dateposted/
I converted it to B&W and then added the cross processing filter to get the effect I was looking for.

Week 12 - Power

It would seem that as of a few of days ago (according to the Diamond Geezer), you can now get around to the waterside of Battersea Power Station - Access is via an entrance opposite the Battersea Park Entrance at the bottom of Chelsea Bridge.

I must say, with the development still on-going and no one actually living in the UNaffordable apartments, the place has the feel of a new time share complex in the off season!

But anyhow, you can get to the waterfront now, albeit not all the way along, so I thought I would pop down to get some shots for Battersea POWER Station.

From the available angles, the light was er, challenging... So I took a few with the sun hidden behind one of the chimneys and some with it peaking out.

This is the one I went for...

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 12 : Battersea Power Station
by Tim White, on Flickr

There are a couple of others (and from the other side, a lá week 0) on my flickr stream.

For those of you expecting a kettle shot for POWER, 4P4F is the POWER classification of the closest loco (it means it has 6720-7839 lbf of tractive effort at 50mph (Passenger), 11425-13104 lbf of tractive effort at 25mph (Freight)).

BR Std 4MT 76017
by Tim White, on Flickr

However, I thought I would avoid the obvious Locomotive shot this week.

It doesn't get more iconic than Battersea power station I quite like the sun peaking out from the chimney

I too was thinking of Battersea Power Station and google informed me you can now access the riverside (first time since 1830!?). I've also learnt that they're putting a lift inside that chimney (FG).

But didn't really know what to expect when I got there and kind of lost interest.

This is an interesting update, and quality image with the sun through the crane like that. (y)

As a concept I think the Battersea idea is really good but like you said the light looks challenging, I wonder what it would be like at a different time of day.

That's a very shiny engine and I didn't know about the power classification of locos so I learned something (y)

Cool idea for a power station Tim (I just got back from a power station shot too :D) liking the sun bursting through the chimney/crane line, nice effect :)

Loco image is nice too, especially now you have described what the numbers mean, nice angle too BUT i'm going for the Battersea shot for my choice (y)

I've been there on exactly that platform in front of the Battersea Power Station :) but it was a grey day so I didn't take any pictures... I rather like how the sun peeks out from behind that chimney. I wonder how it would look in the evening in that harsh light...

Back