weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

Hi Andrea, thanks for stopping by - and for having the patience to go back through my thread, I really appreciate it and it's good to have your feedback :).

Hi Lorraine

Figures ... nice idea ... #3 for me ... bokeh (y) but ... maybe you should think plural ... a black and a white pawn together with a bokehed BG would be good.

Hi Lorraine

Figures ... nice idea ... #3 for me ... bokeh (y) but ... maybe you should think plural ... a black and a white pawn together with a bokehed BG would be good.

Hi David, thanks for commenting. #3 was my favourite as well, it was the first shot (of many) when I was trying the set up. I was a bit disappointed with the others tbh, and mad that it wasn't as sharp as it should've been. When you say use a black & white pawn, are you meaning without the queen, or do you mean keep the queen and have the pawns oof?

Hi Lorraine, I like no. 3 the best out of the three Figures shots. Nice bokeh but just a slightly off vertical.

Hi Stan, thanks for stopping by....I agree with you about no 3 (see above) - and you're right, she is leaning a bit :-( I might do this agin for a reshoot week :)

Hi Lorraine, well done with this choice for the theme, I haven't even done one yet :eek:

I was really liking the first shot, I think the focus is perfect, but then I saw the last one, the bokeh looks great on it, I agree with d00d the inclusion of a black one would look good too.,

Hi David, thanks for commenting. #3 was my favourite as well, it was the first shot (of many) when I was trying the set up. I was a bit disappointed with the others tbh, and mad that it wasn't as sharp as it should've been. When you say use a black & white pawn, are you meaning without the queen, or do you mean keep the queen and have the pawns oof?

She's a queen! ... whoops not sure what I meant now. I just really like the close-up detail of #3 with the OOF BG. and because we're talking Figures, I though two would be more fitting.

Hi, the last chess piece seems to work the best very good bokah as above about another piece maybe slightly closer to the queen doesn't have to be perfectly in focus but recognisable

we are a fussy bunch :LOL:

Hi Lorraine, well done with this choice for the theme, I haven't even done one yet :eek:

I was really liking the first shot, I think the focus is perfect, but then I saw the last one, the bokeh looks great on it, I agree with d00d the inclusion of a black one would look good too.,

Hi, the last chess piece seems to work the best very good bokah as above about another piece maybe slightly closer to the queen doesn't have to be perfectly in focus but recognisable

we are a fussy bunch :LOL:

Hi Susie & Allan,

Thanks for stopping by & commenting. I did like the bokeh on #3. In the absence of any ideas for this week's theme, I've had another go this afternoon trying to recreate #3 but with no luck at all. I had the camera on the tripod, but I struggled to get all of the queen in shot. The best I could manage is below, it's landscape rather than portrait - I don't know whether that has anything to do with it.......but I don't think it works as well as my hand held effort

View attachment 36900

So, household. I'm really stuck for ideas for this one. About the only thing I could come up with was household names, so here they are. I don't know whether the teabags should have stayed in the shot, but I thought it looked better having different heights so I left it in. I was also playing about with the flash - not totally successfully as a couple of the shots I took came out very underexposed - I've got no idea what I did wrong :-(. The first two shots were using flash - the first one was diffused and the second wasn't, the third was taken in natural light. I like the first one best of the three because the colours look better to me.

View attachment 36946

View attachment 36946

3 - natural light
View attachment 36948

Thanks for looking, any constructive crit welcome :)

Last edited:
I prefer the first two over the third, as you say, it's a bit over exposed / washed out. Perhaps dropping the power of the flash down a bit may have helped?
Nicely executed, good colours and nicely sharp. The only thing I think I would have done differently is to try to avoid getting the window in the shot, but of course, I don't know what other distractions may have been to the left.

Great idea. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said by Tim have to agree about the window is a little bit distracting. My fave shot is number 1.

Hey Lorraine :)

Figures - Fits the theme fine for me, in fact a good twist for the theme... I see what you mean about the minimal difference between the first two, are you sure the camera flash did not fire on both shots ?? as for me there is identical flash reflections on the both, I would have expected the highlights to be more on the top facets rather than the fronts with bounced flash - Still a great image either way :)

Household - I too prefer the first two, a good collection of household brands there :)

Figures - I like the lighting of the first shot with the bounced flash best. I think your last shot has the most pleasing composition, but it's somehow missing the woodgrain detail of the others.

Household - As others have said, the inclusion of the window in the bg is a slight distraction, but otherwise a really nice set up with lots of colour and size variations. #3 is a bit over-exposed, but the first two both have good depth of colour and contrast :clap:

Household Names ... good idea! Further to the above comments, I think I'd have left out the shiny PG Tips box and zoomed in with a tight frame to really capture the detail on the other containers.

I prefer the first two over the third, as you say, it's a bit over exposed / washed out. Perhaps dropping the power of the flash down a bit may have helped?
Nicely executed, good colours and nicely sharp. The only thing I think I would have done differently is to try to avoid getting the window in the shot, but of course, I don't know what other distractions may have been to the left.

Hi, and thanks all for looking & commenting. I agree about the window - I wanted to set the sht up to have natural light, and if I'd moved to the left I'd have had some sockets in the frame - what I really need is a bigger kitchen :LOL:

Great idea. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said by Tim have to agree about the window is a little bit distracting. My fave shot is number 1.
Hi Mandy - thanks for stopping by & commenting :)

Hi Lorraine ...super sharp shot there for yet another tricky theme, I agree about the window, I like the first one best as the colours really stand out. Excellent choice for the theme and well done for getting it done so quickly.

Hi Susie, thanks for commenting -

#1 does look washed out compared to the others. This was all natural light and the histogram didn't look too bad - if anything the shots using flash were a bit on the dark side & I had to increase the exposure in pp - I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'll keep practising :)

Last edited:
Hey Lorraine :)

Figures - Fits the theme fine for me, in fact a good twist for the theme... I see what you mean about the minimal difference between the first two, are you sure the camera flash did not fire on both shots ?? as for me there is identical flash reflections on the both, I would have expected the highlights to be more on the top facets rather than the fronts with bounced flash - Still a great image either way :)

Household - I too prefer the first two, a good collection of household brands there :)

Hi DK, and thanks- as you can see, I've got a long way to go with the flash, but I'm getting plenty practice :)

Figures - I like the lighting of the first shot with the bounced flash best. I think your last shot has the most pleasing composition, but it's somehow missing the woodgrain detail of the others.

Household - As others have said, the inclusion of the window in the bg is a slight distraction, but otherwise a really nice set up with lots of colour and size variations. #3 is a bit over-exposed, but the first two both have good depth of colour and contrast :clap:

Hi Elaine thanks for commenting :), unfortunately it was the window or some sockets - so the window won :LOL:

Household Names ... good idea! Further to the above comments, I think I'd have left out the shiny PG Tips box and zoomed in with a tight frame to really capture the detail on the other containers.
Thanks David - I wsn't sure about the tea bags, but I thought that it added a bit of variety to the heights :)

A great idea for the theme, Lorraine. As has already been noted above, the corner of the window sneaking into the background is unfortunate and the third looks a bit washed out, but the first two are colourful and eye-catching and bang on theme (y)

Hi Andrea, and thanks. I agree the third shot looks pale compared to the others - the histogram looked ok, but it might be because there wasn't a lot of range in the shot overall :)

Hi, the first two are better exposure wise, just the BG for me could be better this is where some pieces of card could be used,

i use a large piece of card A1 size cut in half one side of its black the other white, available in any good art shop or indeed bad ones like Hobbycraft

Hi, obviously on theme, but, I don't know, seems to lack something. Maybe pull them away from the wall and get a shallow DOF to throw out the BG :thinking:

Cheers.

Good idea for the theme but I agree with the comments about the window and the shiny PGTips box. Can't comment on the lighting in general as I can't/don't use flash.

Hi Lorraine
Slightly more contrast in No1 and that's the one for me! I think your DOF did a great job at "Losing" your table top;) Your bounced flash is certainly kinder to this shot. Great sharp focus and the chess figures are not too much of a shoehorn(y)
No 3 has lost it a bit, seems a bit soft around the top and its picked up some flare along the bottom with the bokeh from somewhere.
Lighting in 1 & 2 is nice!

Hi, the first two are better exposure wise, just the BG for me could be better this is where some pieces of card could be used,

i use a large piece of card A1 size cut in half one side of its black the other white, available in any good art shop or indeed bad ones like Hobbycraft

Very theme fitting. 1 is best to me but a shame about the small reflection on the top left of the tea bags box.

Hi, obviously on theme, but, I don't know, seems to lack something. Maybe pull them away from the wall and get a shallow DOF to throw out the BG :thinking:

Cheers.

Good idea for the theme but I agree with the comments about the window and the shiny PGTips box. Can't comment on the lighting in general as I can't/don't use flash.

Hi Lorraine
Slightly more contrast in No1 and that's the one for me! I think your DOF did a great job at "Losing" your table top;) Your bounced flash is certainly kinder to this shot. Great sharp focus and the chess figures are not too much of a shoehorn(y)
No 3 has lost it a bit, seems a bit soft around the top and its picked up some flare along the bottom with the bokeh from somewhere.
Lighting in 1 & 2 is nice!

Hi All,

I'm sorry for replying to you all in one go - I've had a bit of a manic week at work which hasn't left me much time for everything else...still, it's Friday now and I'm afraid to check out what the new theme is :eek:

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. I do try to take everything on board (even if it doesn't seem like it!). I agree about the PG Tips - the shiny bit is annoying. I did want the background as it is because I thought it fit with things you find in a kitchen (shame about the window though). I may have another go with your suggestion @posiview ..once I've tackled whatever lies in store this weekend.....

week 20 - limit

well, all I can say is it's best to move swiftly on........

I couldn't come up with anything for this, not a sausage so this is a grab shot, taken with my phone in the station yesterday. I know I've chopped the corner off the sign - I got some curious looks, dressed for work and crouching down pointing my phone at the sign, but hey, if you can't go a bit mad first thing on a Wednesday, when can you? :LOL:

View attachment 37892

Thanks for looking ;)

I like your take on FIGURES. I think chess pieces have a lot of potential and so good to see you have tried different things there.
HOUSEHOLD - well, a real bummer of a theme ... so I knicked your idea!

Hi Lorraine
Its a struggle isn't it:eek: I'm still playing catch up from household:rolleyes:.... and there will be another theme tonight!
Well at least you got your shot in;) and your up to date.... Will have to get my finger out this W/E I guess!

Looks nicely on theme to me..... what about there's a limit to how far I am behind does that count:D

Hi Lorraine .... stinker of a theme isn't it ....I think that's a great choice though, I would have like to see it full frame but appreciate that when using your phone it can be a bit embarrassing!

Hi Elaine, thanks for your comments. I wasn't too embarrassed really, but the sign was at the bottom of a ramp and I was probably going to be unpopular with anyone with a suitcase! ;), I'm just glad that particuar theme's out of the way

Hi Lorraine
Its a struggle isn't it:eek: I'm still playing catch up from household:rolleyes:.... and there will be another theme tonight!
Well at least you got your shot in;) and your up to date.... Will have to get my finger out this W/E I guess!

Looks nicely on theme to me..... what about there's a limit to how far I am behind does that count:D

Hi Steve, these themes seem to come round faster every week don't they? I try to get the shot in every week, one because if I fall behind I might never catch up, and second because I try to post mine before I look at what everyone else has done so I'm not seeing loads of better ideas than mine :eek: :)

It is all about practice, it will become second nature, well thats what I keep saying to myself :D

Thanks DK - I'm still practicing - I've been trying my hand at smoke photography - all I can say is I'm glad I'm not using film! :LOL:

Hi, Limit is on theme but a little OOF.

Cheers.

Hi Andy - thanks for commenting. I'm rubbish at taking shots with my phone, so I'll hold my hand up to it being soft - I'm just glad to have got it out of the way tbh :)

Week 21 - Bizarre,

erm yesssss, well. I really wanted to do something which involved a lot of faffing on PSE, but I couldn't come up with any ideas, so I give you....the vampire rabbit of Newcastle upon Tyne...it's above the door to a building behind the cathedral, and no-one seems to know anything much about it, but I think it fits with the theme

View attachment 38172

I've fiddled about with the wb & the exposure, taking all the highlights down to try to get it to look right. The windows behind still look to be over-exposed, but I couldn't drop the exposure any more without losing the detail in the bunny :(

Thanks for looking :)

certainly bizarre, could have done with being more straight on but I have no idea of its setting and wether or not you could have taken a step to the right, and you have clipped its claws which is a pity

a little harsh comments wise as its a great find, well spotted (y)

certainly bizarre, could have done with being more straight on but I have no idea of its setting and wether or not you could have taken a step to the right, and you have clipped its claws which is a pity

a little harsh comments wise as its a great find, well spotted (y)

Hi Allan, and thanks ...well, there was room to step to the right, the reason I took the photo from that angle was I was using a gatepost to steady the camera (no tripod today). I was annoyed with myself for clipping his toes. I did take some other shots with the 18-105mm, but I didn't think they were as sharp...but here's one of them, quite heavily cropped. I think the exposure was better on this one too

View attachment 38180

Really good shot and totally fits the theme! Haven't heard of the vampire rabbit before.

vampire rabbit lol ... sans goofy front teeth, and lots of colour and light where it's needed. (y)

Back