weekly Minx 52 for 2016 -Finished

The colours are an almost perfect match - well done on the choice for the theme. :clap:

Happy - definitely on theme and good thinking. As others have said, a touch of WB adjustment maybe?
Camouflage is bang on - nicely spotted and very well executed. Green fence panel behind works well to enhance the link to the theme. Good one!

Camouflage is spot on as has been said. The background adds to it and wouldn't have had the same effect with a simple shot of the pattern imo. DoF is spot on as well.

Good camouflage and nice dof. :) I like that the pocket flap is slightly wonky, lol.

Not a bad match at all (y)

Happy - Birthdays are always a happy time...I like the composition and the inclusion of both the card and the present. As others have said, it could just do with being a little brighter.

Camouflage - good idea and the colours do match well. I do find the branches/sticks in the bottom right of the picture to be a slight distraction but that is a very minor thing.

Abandoned
by Alison White, on Flickr

Took a stroll in the nearby woods knowing saddley there was a good chance of getting my Abandoned shot at last. Plenty to choose from and I took several this is my favourite of the lot

Last edited:
Abandoned: Wow, abandoned and stripped! Nice leading line! :p

Danger: Good idea for danger. Hope there was no real danger! I like how the model is faced away, like inching towards danger!

Camouflage - fits the theme, just doesn't excite me as an image.

Abandoned - wonderful find for the theme, and the composition works well for the image.

Danger - you can't get much more dangerous than that, I also like the fact the model is walking away from the camera.

Abandoned - good find for the theme, blends quite well.

Camouflaged - good idea and the colours are spot on, bet it would look good in B&W

Danger(ous) - I work on the railway, and this is stupid idea to let kids roam around, even if its disused, heritage.

I like the way you've framed the Abandoned car .. in the mid distance off centre.

Super Dangerous shot ... you can see there's something unreal about the tracks, then all is revealed. And your "less dangerous" shot actually looks more dangerous to me. :)

Camouflage - Nicely executed shot contrasting the camo trousers with the green fencing. Good use od a shallow DoF
Abandoned - Nice use of leading lines and the trees framing the subject.
Dangerous - I love the way that you've fooled everyone with the first image (y) There is a little bit of lens flare (probably hard to avoid with a compact) but the composition is spot on.

Abandoned - nice shot, definitely abandoned

Danger - Good shot! hope you were careful!

I think Dangerous #2 is a terrific shot showing the height he's at as well as the danger associated with falling through the gaps in the line. Well done. :clap:

Danger(ous) - I work on the railway, and this is stupid idea to let kids roam around, even if its disused, heritage.

I appreciate your concerns but these tracks have been abandoned by the railway company in a public area of woodland and he was supervised I would not have put him in real danger.

Hi Minx :)

Abandoned - Like how you have the track leading up to the burned out car, it nestles in there nicely and is a sad common occurrence, works well for the theme :)

Dangerous - A couple of nice images, I prefer the close in shot of him on the track, the lens flare adds a nice feel to it for me :)

Camouflage - fits the theme, just doesn't excite me as an image.

Have to confess doesn't do a great deal for me either was struggling to think what to do, that is my sons trousers hanging on the washing line.

Dangerous - that first image is lovely (if you can say such a think about a "dangerous" photo!) A few things I really like: (1) the low contrast / light coming into the lens from nearly shooting into the sun - this works really well for me and is a perfect example of when to break "rules" (others may disagree but that's what's great about opinions!) (2) The light that he's apparently walking into - almost creepy given the theme. (3) The tension from having him face away and walk out of frame, rather than through the frame. Quite a few departures in that one shot from the norm and I think your choices work really well.

Camouflage is spot on for the theme and you chose a background that really helps the subject to blend in :p

Abandoned is a great find. Nice leading lines to the subject which certainly looks like it has been stripped then dumped :clap:

Danger, I can see the tension in the first shot with him walking away into the sun, looks extremely dangerous :eek:

Hi Minx

Danger - the first one for me a really good take on the theme love the angle the shot was taken at. The bright sun adds to the danger for me

Hi Alison, just a quick catch-up from me on my first visit to your thread. I'll try to keep up to date from now on!

Old - the age of your subject and the sepia effect work really well for this theme. Others have commented on the tablet already, but overall it's a good start to your 52.
Metal - very creative and usual, and someone (you?) got to drink the beer first!
Captive - a very pretty cat with some nice catchlights in her eyes, and the paw poking through the bars sums up the theme perfectly.
Miniature - a lovely idea and some colourful little items. I would have preferred to see the whole basket, but it's a perfect subject for the theme.
Happy - good idea. As others have noted, maybe a tweak to the white balance would bring the colours up a bit more, but it's a pretty card and another good take on the theme.
Camouflage - the colours match almost perfectly, and good use of depth of field to throw the background slightly out of focus.
Abandoned - a good find. I like all the rust, and the way you've composed it at the end of the lane makes it seem truly abandoned and left to rot away.
Danger - both images work well to meet the theme. In the first one I like your low angle and the way he's walking into the bright sun, which seems to add to the sense of danger, while the second one looks almost as 'dangerous' from the way he has his arms out to balance.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your new images from now on :)

Hi Minx,
The firs of the two shots for me. The use of shallow DoF to makes the leafs / berries pop out of the image whereas in the second the pussy-willow blends into the background so has less impact.

I'm with Tim - I prefer the first too for the clarity and singularity of the subject. Nicely lit and detailed too.

Two nice images for the theme. I would have chosen the first one but it would probably work better if the leaf was more isolated from the background (maybe not possible?) so I'll choose the second one, which is also good for the theme and has some lovely natural colours and and abstract textures (y)

Back