weekly rpn's 2016 Project 52 - Week 52 CELEBRATE Added (Complete)

Being a 4 times Granny, I understand your frustration only too well. My youngest 2 are constantly on the move and almost impossible to photograph, the 7 year old is such a show off that he can spot a camera from 50 yards and immediately strikes his best "having my photo taken" pose and the 10 year old is at the age where he hates having his photo taken and makes his objections known with a scowl! So well done for managing to capture such a lovely shot (y)

Hi Stan, I'm playing catch up at the moment, so I'll just comment on miniature for now... great little shot :)

Really good arrangement of the characters - which makes for a superb composition. The only tiny bits of crit which are more personal preferences than anything more substantive: I'd probably knock the exposure up a tad, just to lighten those stormtroopers who I think are white; and I'd perhaps have closed down the aperture a bit to capture the whole scene sharp in focus. But they're very minor suggestions based on what I might have done.

Super job so far!

Ahhh - ? You didn't use duct tape to keep her still then?

Got it now, Richard.

nice and sharp and good colours, great photo

Thanks Lee.

Being a 4 times Granny, I understand your frustration only too well. My youngest 2 are constantly on the move and almost impossible to photograph, the 7 year old is such a show off that he can spot a camera from 50 yards and immediately strikes his best "having my photo taken" pose and the 10 year old is at the age where he hates having his photo taken and makes his objections known with a scowl! So well done for managing to capture such a lovely shot (y)

Thanks Elaine for the fore advice of whats to come for me yet. She quite happy with the camera pointing at her and happy to smile when asked but you got to be quick. That's why I don't or rather can't use a flash when shooting her.

She's got that 'will you play with me' look in her eye, a super happy bright shot Stan.

What a lovely direct gaze and sharp eyes - you've captured her playful mood perfectly. And who wouldn't be happy in the company of Buzz Lightyear?!

Thanks Susie and Emma, Buzz is her Christmas present from us but one foot fell off when we opened it. That was the first time she can actually play with it after we got it exchanged.

Lovely portrait Stan, and she certainly looks happy (y)

Aw she's a wee cutie Stan - a lovely smile. She'll treasure this (but maybe not thank you for not tidying her hair before taking the shot eh! ha ha). Great candid :clap:

Happy indeed; nice gaze. Closer crop for me.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy.

Hi Stan, I'm playing catch up at the moment, so I'll just comment on miniature for now... great little shot :)

Really good arrangement of the characters - which makes for a superb composition. The only tiny bits of crit which are more personal preferences than anything more substantive: I'd probably knock the exposure up a tad, just to lighten those stormtroopers who I think are white; and I'd perhaps have closed down the aperture a bit to capture the whole scene sharp in focus. But they're very minor suggestions based on what I might have done.

Super job so far!

Thanks Paul and nice to hear from you, been a while. Thanks for the in depth comments and will definitely take them into account the next time.

Nice picture Stan and you can see she’s happy to see you, and one to cherish.(y)

Hi Stan :)

Miniature - Oooo nice !!! - I like how you have set this one up, the DoF seems just about deep enough, lighting has picked the detail out on the camera blacks nicely without overexposing the rest, nice fun image, no crit from me (y)

Happy - Looks more warey to me, looks like you surprised her ?? who wouldn't be happy with a buzz Lightyear toy, would like to see more light/detail/sharpness in her eyes :)

Nice picture Stan and you can see she’s happy to see you, and one to cherish.(y)

Thanks Michael, we cherish every moment with her, they do grow up fast.

Hi Stan :)

Miniature - Oooo nice !!! - I like how you have set this one up, the DoF seems just about deep enough, lighting has picked the detail out on the camera blacks nicely without overexposing the rest, nice fun image, no crit from me (y)

Happy - Looks more warey to me, looks like you surprised her ?? who wouldn't be happy with a buzz Lightyear toy, would like to see more light/detail/sharpness in her eyes :)

Cheers Dean, you're spot on with the comments, they are all my main aims when setting up for the image.

Yep that works ... it's oddly interesting, what happened to the roof and floor while, as susie says, it's got windows & door?

It's certainly got the Abandoned look Stan ...strange that the windows and doors are so intact ...it gives it a rather odd feel ...nice choice for the theme.

Yep that works ... it's oddly interesting, what happened to the roof and floor while, as susie says, it's got windows & door?

Thanks Susie and David, you're correct its rather bizarre and strange abandoned building. There was an attempt to rebuild I think and some roof frames were erected then left again as from this shot taken from a different angle shows.

Week 05 11872 by Stan, on Flickr

This is my original idea for Abandoned the location is further away from my house and I decided to take the building shot, see above, first just in case the weather doesn't play ball this morning. The footbridge is known locally as Shakkin' Briggie. More details HERE.

Week 5 Abandoned II

Week 05 Abandoned 11891 by Stan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ah I see it's a ruin being rebuilt (not that it doesn't scream Abandoned). They probably put in windows and door (maybe temporary ones) to keep the kids out.

Woo ... I love the footbridge, I've never seen anything like it, abandoned or otherwise.

Nice find Stan, the first abandoned image is my favourite, great textures, nice processing (y)

Nice find Stan, the first abandoned image is my favourite, great textures, nice processing (y)

Cheers Chris, I pushed the contrast fairly high and also the clarity too before I converted it to B&W.

Thanks Gary, pleased you like the shot too.

Hi Stan

I was going to ask why the composition, but after seeing the other shot, I see you have done well with what you had, I like old stonework and the B&W shows it off nicely, the acute angle also detracts a bit from the windows and doors, nice pic for the theme, liking the bridge shot too, but think you chose right with the building :)

Hi Stan

I was going to ask why the composition, but after seeing the other shot, I see you have done well with what you had, I like old stonework and the B&W shows it off nicely, the acute angle also detracts a bit from the windows and doors, nice pic for the theme, liking the bridge shot too, but think you chose right with the building :)

I spend some time walking round the building trying to find a decent angle and pov shot without any of the halfhearted rebuilt part gets in the way.

Interesting to read about the bridge but I really like the first image! Nice and Sharp and especially good when you see the second image of the full building. Good work!

Thanks Richard, personally I like both shot. The building is more apt for the theme and the bridge tells a story.

Back