weekly *sarah* 2015 52 challenge week 11,12 &13 added

Week 10 - Mouth
Whitby by *sarah*., on Flickr
Another shot from today - A view of Whitby pier- the mouth of the harbour/mouth of the river Esk! It was blowing a gale which made it difficult to keep the camera/tripod steady during the 1.5 min exposure so it possible isn't as sharp as I'd have liked!
I'm hoping now that I've caught up that I can get around to comment on your threads!

Last edited:
You can't beat a nice cuppa :) nice shot and really well lit (y). Only thing I would say is possibly a slightly larger depth of field :)
Thank you Chris, I did take some others with a larger dof but for some reason kept going back to this one even though the oof spoon is annoying. I might go back and have another go at editing some of the others!:)

Vertical - There was an earlier tree shot for vertical that didn't do it for me, but your's is far better, somehow less cluttered and therefore feels much more on theme. I think the B&W pp sorks well too.

Mouth - It's great to be able to make the most of winter / spring's dark nights for shots like this, I'm sure we'll all be cursing the light evenings in the summer when we want long exposures. Absolutely on subject.

Hi Sarah

Relax ... a pretty image but would like to see all or most of the cup/saucer/spoon in focus.

Vertical ... stark and dramatic. (y)

Mouth ... Top shot ... perfect POV - horizon in line with top of fence (if that's what you'd call it). Long exposure: creamy water with brushed sky. (y)

Watery - the edit of the first one is a cracking image (n) and I like the bubble in #2 as well. Lovely abstracts.

Bold - does what it says on the tin, and you get to eat them afterwards too - a bonus :)

Relax - I can see what you were aiming for but not enough DOF for me as it seems to lack a clear focal point

Vertical - I really like this one and the processing is spot on Sarah (y)

Mouth - I know what Whitby can be like with it's noreasterlies, windy and freezing :coldfeet: so I applaud your perseverance, and it's ended up a lovely, calm picture. Again, I like the processing (y)

Vertical, Its one one the nicest "tree" images for awhile IMO :)

Mouth, again it works well, nice processing too (y)

2 totally brilliant shots love vertical but mouth is stunning:clap:

Relax....well, great minds ;)
Vertical....I absolutely adore it. I have to get a shot like this.
Mouth....Perfectly on theme....Lovely.

Relax: bang on theme one way I relax everyday. Can't beat a good strong cuppa:)

Vertical: i never seem to dee the right sort of trees to do this shot. Beautiful b&w suits it.

Mouth. Lovely long exposure and fits theme well. Perfect lead in and fluffy clouds.

Ooh, I do like your vertical shot. Spidery branches, very attractive.

Sorry I haven't commented in a while, some great images Sarah, the stand outs for me are Bold, lovely vibrant colours and Mouth, love the mono conversion and the long exposure. Thumbs up from me.

By the way Sarah......
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Relax - I agree with Chris's comments above that indeed you cant beat a good cuppa. So the image defiantly fits the theme for me, composition works well though I feel maybe just a tiny bit more space in the frame would suit. I really like the vintage style processing of the image, I think it suits it nicely a great effort well done.

Vertical - another image that is bang on for the theme, I like the fact you have chosen to look up towards the trees.

Mouth - Simply stunning I really do like this alot, I still have no idea how to make water look smooth in a photo. I really think you have captured this very well, the b&w suits the image all in all another excellent image.

Hi Sarah,

Good catch up

Relax - I like the composition, and it certainly fits the theme. I do agree with the others about the focus though.

Vertical - nicely shot - it's making me dizzy looking at it!

Mouth - I completely agree with Mandy, this is stunning, and to get the North sea looking so calm is no mean feat :)

Just trying to catch up on a few comments...

Watery - I really like the abstract shot. Nothing more to say but simply stunning.
Bold - Spot on for the theme. great colours :)
Vertical - Nice use of light and a good match for the theme. The only thing I would say is that all the trees bar one are in silhouette.
Mouth - Very nice mono shot. Perfect exposure time has made the water silky smooth and has really made the cloudscape stand out (y)

HI Sarah
Catch up time for me yet again!

Bold.....lovely DOF, spot on colors & just having 2 in focus really works for me...love it :clap:

Relax...oh yes, cup of tea to relax is my idea of perfect bliss . I really want to like this as it has all the right ingredients , beautifully delicate crockery a scrummy cupcake & a sprig of lavender but the DOF just niggles me , it seems to make the whole image except the foremost rim of the cup seem really soft , sorry :(

Vertical...really like this, draws you in & up the tree's trunks, almost like you're lying there on the forest floor looking up ,brilliant :clap:

But my fave has to be Mouth...super long exposure , great movement in the clouds, super silky smooth water & plenty of detail in the piers :clap::clap:

Relax - I like the shallow DoF on this one. The addition of the lavender on the slate adds a nice touch

Vertical - Now I know why you wandered off into the woods :) You’ve handled the exposure well given you were shooting up into the sky. I also like how the trees are coming into the bottom left and top right corners

Mouth - What it needs is the galleon used for pleasure trips to be going through into the harbour LOL (sorry folks it’s an in joke following a recent comment from an out of touch camera club judge). For me the long exposure is nicely complimented by an excellent mono conversion especially in the clouds.

Watery #2 for me, has a very celestial feel to it.

Bold indeed, nice focus and colors. Looks a little under exposed but might be my screen.

Relax, looks to have a sight cast, which I actually like.

Vertical, I never get tired of seeing these and have done a few myself. The light is a little uneven, especially on the RHS.

Mouth, I was at Whitby yesterday and saw this vantage point but from the top in the church. Well processed and great detail.

Cheers.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been going through a tough time - photography wise - and have been struggling to get inspired! it was this time last year that I through it all in but I'm determined to keep going though I have a major catch up to deal with!
I'll start with these and try to get up to date over the next few weeks!

week 11 - crowd - On the edge of the crowd!!

edge of the crowd by *sarah*., on Flickr

week 12 - Close up

Caterpillar by *sarah*., on Flickr

That's a nice catch up Sarah. I was about to say IU think you've got a great eye for colour, then I saw mouth at the top of the page and though the same for black & white!

Concentrating on your last image - machine and I really think it's a great image. Strong leading lines lead the eye to the subject which looks difficult to capture given that it's so high up. But then, I know I rarely look up so that's an achievement in itself as far as I can see. The really bold striking colours give a sense of fun to the image which works well again with the subject choice.

I wonder if March is a "wall" for some 52'ers. I know it has been for me. I'm not even going to try and catch up with Sound otherwise I'd end up forever behind and demoralised. If I miss a week, I'll just ignore it unless I actually get the time, inclination and inspiration to do it.

You're a good photographer. Keep at it. That caterpillar is amazing.

Close Up very close and some good detail. Just enough lighting for me.

Nice catch up Sara
Bold is a great capture focus wise as is machine clean and pin sharp. Both these two could have worked for the other subject.
Pick of the 3 is close up its excellent whats not to like :clap:

good catch up Sarah - don't give up :)

crowd - fits the bill nicely

close up - this is a cracking shot, you couldn't have got much closer and the focus is spot on :clap:

bold - I thought this was a very tricky theme, but that's a really good interpretation, well done :)

Hi Sarah ,good to see you sticking with it (y)

Nothing wrong with your catch up shots but they all , for me at least ,pale in to nothing next to...

Mouth......that is a belting shot......nothing to crit , perfect focus, lovely bokeh & lighting....perfect capture :clap::clap:

Crowd, on theme but not your best.

Close up is lovely. Nice DOF and angle, nice greens, a little under exposed maybe :thinking:

Bold, loving the little girl's face :)

Machine is on theme, but again, you can do better.

Good catchup and keep your photography chin up (y)

Cheers.

Back