weekly susiejb 52 in 2017 Worn

Love all you photos Susie but your graceful is beautiful and as for the strawberry could look like an old man like the humbalumbas ( charlie's chocolate factory):) glad your back, missed you.

Welcome back Susie :wave:, I think them there bees are wasps nice find, I see from "pleasure" where you have been for the last few weeks image wise needs a lift its little dark
Ant and the frog both well captured really like the ant pic
You grow grapes? very good it seems like a lot of hard work whenever I have looked it up and they look like fine examples
nice conversion to B+W for graceful
That strawberry is very strange some kind of fungus/mould I take it

good to see you back :banana:

Thanks Alan, I knew they weren't bees !! I'll try to change the header. The grapes are brilliantly easy to grow and are taking over a wall, but it needs to be south facing. I don't know what they'll taste like as it's the first year.

Welcome back Susie, and with a great set too. Like the wasps and that you got the faces too. Pleasure is my top choice, yes it is dark but the viewer can see the glasses on the table quite easy, like the lights, just a shame about the chair. Tiny is a good clear shot of the ants. Face of the frog, lovely little things they are and you caught it well. Agriculture very nice for home grown grapes. Graceful would be my 2nd choice as I think it is a lovely shot with a nice BG. Fruit, strawberry with a beard lol, a cracking catch up from you Susie (y)(y)(y)

Thanks Dave, I almost dropped out I was so far behind, but all done now :)

Great catch up Susie; welcome back. Graceful is the pick for me, you've caught the theme perfectly and the B&W works really well. Love the detail in the wasps too.:):)

Thanks John ... much appreciated.

Last edited:
susie's back :banana:

I think the bees are some sort of hoverfly ... great find, great colour contrast and detail.

Pleasure ... I like, B&W decadent glitter.

Tiny, Face, Graceful ... all good stuff.

Agriculture ... real nice ambient natural lighting feel.

Fruit ... extraordinary! :clap:

Thanks d00d ....I'm glad I finally made it :)

Some wonderful images Susie, so pleased that you are caught up :) I must say, my eyes are instantly drawn to that fury strawberry, what on earth is it :D

Thanks DK ...I think Dave answered that question below ... amazing how beautiful these thinks are even if they do spoil the fruit for eating!

- dredges memory banks on plant pathology from over 35 years ago - probably - Botrytis cinerea - grey mould (starts white and black spores turn it grey) - is same fungus that infects grapes and makes some of the great sweet dessert wines,

Oh it can't be that bad then ...thanks for the info (y)

Love all you photos Susie but your graceful is beautiful and as for the strawberry could look like an old man like the humbalumbas ( charlie's chocolate factory):) glad your back, missed you.

Thanks Shirley, it's good to get back into it.

Great catch up, on a phone at the mo, in your neck of the woods so limited typing but those grapes just look delicious, I like that photo a lot

That's a superb set of catch up shots Susie - it's fantastic to have you back :banana: I love the dark glimmer of pleasure and that bizarrely hairy strawberry, but it's the nest building for me - fascinating stuff and so well composed :)

Brilliant catch up Susie, nice to see you back in the game.

Gracefull and fruit are the stand outs for me.

Great catch up, on a phone at the mo, in your neck of the woods so limited typing but those grapes just look delicious, I like that photo a lot

Thanks Chris ...sorry the weather's not better for you, hope you're managing to enjoy it.

That's a superb set of catch up shots Susie - it's fantastic to have you back :banana: I love the dark glimmer of pleasure and that bizarrely hairy strawberry, but it's the nest building for me - fascinating stuff and so well composed :)

Thanks Emma ...just need to get back in the swing of commenting now!
Great to see you back, Susie :wave: That's a lovely set of images, particularly the lovely lines of Graceful, the fresh green grapes for Agriculture, and that colourful but strange Fruit, but - like Emma - my favourite is the fascinating nest building of the wasp. Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you Andrea, much appreciated.

Brilliant catch up Susie, nice to see you back in the game.

Gracefull and fruit are the stand outs for me.

Thanks Mark (y)

Last edited:
Great catch up Susie!

Broken: Well spotted. I wonder if a tighter crop to the frieze would work on that shot?
Transport: I prefer the toy box shot. Nice, colourful shot with the 'Cars' car taking my eyes straight to the centre.
Minimalistic: Wow! Stunning shot with plenty of negative space that just works. Very nice :clap:
Progress: Very nice colour and an excellent fit to the theme. You wouldn't catch me getting that close!
Pleasure: I am a sucker for mono shots. The low key and catch lights in the glasses work nicely. Is that a silhouette chair in the bottom right?
Tiny: I like the division between the two brick colours and the outer ants draw my eye in to the centre nicely.
Face: Very cute. Lovely and sharp on the eye.
Agriculture: Good fit to the theme. You can't beat home grown! Looks a tad dark on my monitor?
Graceful: Love this! Mono has really brought out the texture.
Fruit: I don't think I have ever seen a Strawberry with a beard! Nicely lit.

Great catch up Susie!

Broken: Well spotted. I wonder if a tighter crop to the frieze would work on that shot?
Transport: I prefer the toy box shot. Nice, colourful shot with the 'Cars' car taking my eyes straight to the centre.
Minimalistic: Wow! Stunning shot with plenty of negative space that just works. Very nice :clap:
Progress: Very nice colour and an excellent fit to the theme. You wouldn't catch me getting that close!
Pleasure: I am a sucker for mono shots. The low key and catch lights in the glasses work nicely. Is that a silhouette chair in the bottom right?
Tiny: I like the division between the two brick colours and the outer ants draw my eye in to the centre nicely.
Face: Very cute. Lovely and sharp on the eye.
Agriculture: Good fit to the theme. You can't beat home grown! Looks a tad dark on my monitor?
Graceful: Love this! Mono has really brought out the texture.
Fruit: I don't think I have ever seen a Strawberry with a beard! Nicely lit.

Thank you Lee for such a detailed comment, very much appreciated. Yes, that is a chair, I sort of wished it wasn't there but then decided it added to the random abandonment of the table.
It's strange that Graceful has drawn such good comments because it was literally a case of walking around the house looking for something that fitted the topic. Probably one of the quickest I've ever done!

Well caught Susie. It looks as though it was pretty gloomy out there with the lights showing so bright. I like the hint of prop blur and the heat distortion behind the engine.(y)

Well caught Susie. It looks as though it was pretty gloomy out there with the lights showing so bright. I like the hint of prop blur and the heat distortion behind the engine.(y)

A nice shot Susie, three vehicles together on a Drill run :)

Nice action shot Susie...very exciting!

Thanks folks ...I was glad to see it as it was a bit difficult to find something that bit different for the topic.

Nice colours in the petals and nicely lit only crit would be its a little floaty

All I will say is just stunningly beautiful :plus1::plus1:

Thank you Dave ...much appreciated:)

Nicely done, Susie. The rose and pretty pink petals delicately falling to pieces against a deep black background (y)

Thank you Andrea ... it's my favourite Rose.

Nice colours in the petals and nicely lit only crit would be its a little floaty

Thanks Allan, I do agree, I tried to crop it fairly low at the bottom to hopefully avoid it ...the alternative was to go and find my piece of glass and set it up with a reflection ...and I was feeling lazy :whistle:

It is perhaps a bit floaty but in this case I don't mind that at all since it is such a strong image, almost a still life painting, very good indeed.

:agree: was thinking the same ... olde still life feel.

And Vehicle ... all good action.

Pieces, the lighting suggests a bit of light painting??

Lovely muted tones. I'd like a bit of separation between the flowers and the leave, but a rather moody submission.

Cheers.

Absoloute sucker for flower pics like this Susie, I love the dark BG and the sharp contrast (oooh, hang on - you can repost for this weeks theme as welll!) ...of the coloured petals.

It is perhaps a bit floaty but in this case I don't mind that at all since it is such a strong image, almost a still life painting, very good indeed.

:agree: was thinking the same ... olde still life feel.

And Vehicle ... all good action.

Thank you Chris and d00d ...glad you like it :)

Pieces, the lighting suggests a bit of light painting??

Lovely muted tones. I'd like a bit of separation between the flowers and the leave, but a rather moody submission.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, just natural daylight and a tiny sharpen that's all!

Absoloute sucker for flower pics like this Susie, I love the dark BG and the sharp contrast (oooh, hang on - you can repost for this weeks theme as welll!) ...of the coloured petals.

Thanks Mark ...no shoehorns here :D

Beautifully composed Susie and the colours stand out beautifully from the perfect black of the background.

Thanks Emma ...you cant beat nature can you.

I like the fire and ice idea just enough light in there, I like face from the other two though I am not sure I would take his invitation and step inside his house

The contrast of fire and ice and the contrast in lighting from the bright flame to black is spot on for the theme.
The face reshoot would be my pick, an interesting looking character.

Contrast; Ice and Fire is also one of my idea for this week too but decided to go for something else. You've done well with just enough details in the ice and without over exposed the light.

Graceful; indeed but not really into dance so can't comment too much.

Face; one happy chappie with a happy face.

Well done for catching up. :clap:

Hi Susie,

Progress - Hateful things, you're very brave getting up that close.
Pleasure - Nice Lo-key, with the highlights of the reflections controlled well. A mysterious photo. works well.
Tiny - More bug things...
Face - Nice work getting the separation between the frog and the background given that they are essentially the same colour (y)
Agriculture - Whilst there are shades of other colours there, I feel more colours wold add something to it.
Graceful - Great use of b&w. Great detail, lovely prop. What's not to like here :)
Fruit - I doubt any strawberries would be left hanging around here long enough to sprout hairs. Interesting subject and good use of the diagonals.
Vehicle - It certainly does capture the moment. As you say, there are quite a few things you could have done differently, given time/notice, but you didn't have them so a nice piece of reportage.
Pieces - Well taken against a strong black background.
Contrast - Budget Game of Thrones ;) How did you get the ice to hover like that? Some kind of mount we can't see in the black? I like the way the ice seems to be lit solely by the flame.
Re-shoot - I'm going with graceful. Both are good shots, but the colour / vibrance of graceful clinches it.

Blimey - That's one hell of a catch up :clap:

Speaking of catch ups I am catching up on comments and looks like I haven't commented on your thread since the beginning you have a lot of really good shots.
I love your mineral the colour is lovely and the detail is fascinating. The cross section of the flower for structure is better for the theme and an inspired idea although the full flower is beautifully taken too.The fruit for routine looks delicious and I like the way the juice has got between the banana slices. Loads of Numbers for numbers and well done for the clever balancing act. There is great detail in both power and evolve I especially like the droplets on the power shot. The kite in above reminds me of a stingray and that is a fabulous sky behind it, I can see what LC2 means about the birds but have to confess I would have left them in too. Vivid is a lovely vibrant abstract (is that the same heart spring you used for your song title) bang on theme and a great shot. Minimal is beautifully done I could see that on a wall. Great Detail in Progress well spotted and well taken and again great detail on the moldy strawberry. and finally Contrast I didn't realise what the block was to start off but then I twigged Its I love the flame and the dark background. I will try to visit more often from now on.

Contrast is excellent with the flame and dark, Graceful is delicate and beautiful, is the Face @Cobra, understand he has a beard, strange person indeed.:)

Fire & ice ... what a great idea for contrast. Well done. (y)

Liking both reshoots ... the face pic is just full of wackiness ... and colour, could it be Cross Process?

Hey Susie :)

Pieces - Now that is one sorry looking Rose, the petals stand out nicely against the black background :)

Contrast - Fire and ice is a cool idea, not so sure on the lighting on this one, but I guess any brighter and the light wouldn't show coming through the cube, so guess it is fine :)

Re-shoot - Has to be the dancing lady for me, a good pose captured mid performance :)

I like the fire and ice idea just enough light in there, I like face from the other two though I am not sure I would take his invitation and step inside his house

Thanks Allan :)

Like contrast Susie, good clear flame on the ice. Love the cheeky bloke too :)
Thanks Dave (y)

Brilliant idea for Contrast Susie, well done, I like that a lot.

Thanks Mark :)

The contrast of fire and ice and the contrast in lighting from the bright flame to black is spot on for the theme.
The face reshoot would be my pick, an interesting looking character.

Thanks Chris :)

Contrast; Ice and Fire is also one of my idea for this week too but decided to go for something else. You've done well with just enough details in the ice and without over exposed the light.

Graceful; indeed but not really into dance so can't comment too much.

Face; one happy chappie with a happy face.

Well done for catching up. :clap:

Thanks Stan, much appreciate you looking in.

Hi Susie,

Progress - Hateful things, you're very brave getting up that close.
Pleasure - Nice Lo-key, with the highlights of the reflections controlled well. A mysterious photo. works well.
Tiny - More bug things...
Face - Nice work getting the separation between the frog and the background given that they are essentially the same colour (y)
Agriculture - Whilst there are shades of other colours there, I feel more colours wold add something to it.
Graceful - Great use of b&w. Great detail, lovely prop. What's not to like here :)
Fruit - I doubt any strawberries would be left hanging around here long enough to sprout hairs. Interesting subject and good use of the diagonals.
Vehicle - It certainly does capture the moment. As you say, there are quite a few things you could have done differently, given time/notice, but you didn't have them so a nice piece of reportage.
Pieces - Well taken against a strong black background.
Contrast - Budget Game of Thrones ;) How did you get the ice to hover like that? Some kind of mount we can't see in the black? I like the way the ice seems to be lit solely by the flame.
Re-shoot - I'm going with graceful. Both are good shots, but the colour / vibrance of graceful clinches it.

Blimey - That's one hell of a catch up :clap:

Thanks Tim ..that was a huge catch up, much appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Speaking of catch ups I am catching up on comments and looks like I haven't commented on your thread since the beginning you have a lot of really good shots.
I love your mineral the colour is lovely and the detail is fascinating. The cross section of the flower for structure is better for the theme and an inspired idea although the full flower is beautifully taken too.The fruit for routine looks delicious and I like the way the juice has got between the banana slices. Loads of Numbers for numbers and well done for the clever balancing act. There is great detail in both power and evolve I especially like the droplets on the power shot. The kite in above reminds me of a stingray and that is a fabulous sky behind it, I can see what LC2 means about the birds but have to confess I would have left them in too. Vivid is a lovely vibrant abstract (is that the same heart spring you used for your song title) bang on theme and a great shot. Minimal is beautifully done I could see that on a wall. Great Detail in Progress well spotted and well taken and again great detail on the moldy strawberry. and finally Contrast I didn't realise what the block was to start off but then I twigged Its I love the flame and the dark background. I will try to visit more often from now on.

Thank you for taking so much time with your comments ...much appreciated ...yes I've used that Slinky twice now! I just really like it :)

Contrast is excellent with the flame and dark, Graceful is delicate and beautiful, is the Face @Cobra, understand he has a beard, strange person indeed.:)

Hi Shirley ...thank you for looking in, is Cobra that handsome ....I wonder :D

Fire & ice ... what a great idea for contrast. Well done. (y)

Liking both reshoots ... the face pic is just full of wackiness ... and colour, could it be Cross Process?

Thanks d00d .I might have added a bit of Lomo effect ..I wanted it to look slightly odd o_O

Hey Susie :)

Pieces - Now that is one sorry looking Rose, the petals stand out nicely against the black background :)

Contrast - Fire and ice is a cool idea, not so sure on the lighting on this one, but I guess any brighter and the light wouldn't show coming through the cube, so guess it is fine :)

Re-shoot - Has to be the dancing lady for me, a good pose captured mid performance :)

Hi Dk ...thank you for looking in ... I agree about the ice cube ...I do my photos on my main computer but when I saw that one on my iPad I did think it looked dark ...there's so much difference between the two!!

Last edited:
Back