The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

Brilliant! I have just the image for tools that will also encompass the silhouette tech as well.

So I am going to have to have a re think about week 2 as that coincidently comes under week 3's theme which is tools :(
why is this never easy ;)

I have been saying this for the last three years doing the 52, I will try my best to comment on all images but it can be hard and yes it can be done. If I like or don`t really like an image I will say but nicely as we all have to learn from getting critique on our images. If I think your image is fantastic I Will say and why I think it is, if I think it could of been taken in a better way I Will also say that. One member who is having a well earned rest from the 52 was GREAT in his comments as he just told the truth and for me I loved that and thank him too. As has been said don`t take it personally with hard critique as we all want to help each other out in getting better at our photography. So carry on enjoying the 52 and getting and giving critique as even the long term 52 members can get good critique from the new comers (y)

Dave70D,
I am a newbie to this forum and am now putting my photos out there for critique which is something I have never done before. I have only recently taken the step to come off auto and step into the creative and empowering world that is "Taking Control Of What I Want To Achieve", I went into this with the ethos of well the subject is their cup of tea or it's not and I have seen people comment on others posts saying, "not really what floats my boat but 10/10 for composition etc and I am fine with that. It may also be because actually my photo is just dreadful, my week 52 was dreadful and I wasn't happy with the result as I said on my thread, but I will take on board any critique on how to do it better or get it right be that in camera or in editing which again is all new to me. Sometimes I wonder if our emotional attachment to a photo we have taken clouds our judgement on whether its good or not.
I have come to this forum as it came highly recommended to me, I am here to learn from all of you and every comment and criticism will remain with me either because I will take it on board and change the way I do something or because it stopped me in my tracks and made me think about the comment and the reasoning behind it and possibly look at my photo in a different light.
I try to like peoples photos but I feel that my lack of technical experience in what is necessarily compositionally right, and the theory behind colour and contrasts etc leaves me feeling slightly inadequate compared to some of you guys who have a lot more experience than me, so for now I will read your comments and go back to the photos and see why you and others on here made that comment. I have met photographers on workshops who have all the gear and no idea, they walk the walk but can't talk the talk, I want to sit back and take everything in over the next few months and try to understand the critique given to myself and others until I have a better understanding and feel I am worthy of offering a well considered and educated answer or critique.

I would just like to say thank you to yourself and the others on here who put themselves out and do take the time to comment on mine and others photo's I personally truly appreciate it.

I think anyone can give critique on photos even if they don`t know how to use a camera, everyone can see a different angle a shot. Now what I will say about you Heather is, at the end of the day you are a photographer who loves photography, so you can have a vision in your head on a type of image so to me you are good enough to give critique on any of the images (y)

PS: On some of my images I might think that`s a great shot, but then someone might say OH no it`s to dark so with critique take what you like and want from it and leave the rest.

Last edited:
So I am going to have to have a re think about week 2 as that coincidently comes under week 3's theme which is tools :(
It doesn't matter, there are bound to be a few overlaps as the weeks / year progresses.

why is this never easy ;)
If it was easy everyone would be doing it ;)
1 image a week? That's piece of urine ( apparently )

:D

@Gritty
Anybody can critique (or as I prefer to call it, feed back) a photo. If you like a photo, then you like it. You need to ask yourself, what is it that draws you too it, what are the elements that are grabbing you. You don't need to know if it follows the "rules". Although the "rules" do have a good history of working.
Just say what you think, listen to (or in this case, read) what others say, see if you can see what they are seeing, see if you agree.
But most importantly enjoy your photography and this fun challenge, that is the 52 :)

Tools is a good one for me :) I was hoping to get the technique in this week, but don't think I will. I'll have a think about this...

As for critique, well I'd much rather people say what they think than just say it's a great shot or whatever. I received some good critique for my las submission, I know if would be one to create different opinions, but as I said in the thread, there was a reason behind it. I guess the thing is, to be constructive with any critique. I have noticed that there are quite a few people (in other threads) who ask for critique, but when it isn't positive they get a little angry. Maybe they should ask for positive critique only :D At the end of the day, photography is a very subjective thing. There are many photo's that I think are rubbish, but get widely acclaimed, and also the opposite too. I guess that's why I like the hobby for what it is.

@Gritty
Anybody can critique (or as I prefer to call it, feed back) a photo. If you like a photo, then you like it. You need to ask yourself, what is it that draws you too it, what are the elements that are grabbing you. You don't need to know if it follows the "rules". Although the "rules" do have a good history of working.
Just say what you think, listen to (or in this case, read) what others say, see if you can see what they are seeing, see if you agree.
But most importantly enjoy your photography and this fun challenge, that is the 52 :)

I agree when you say Feed Back, as that is how I look on it.

@Gritty

That's a perfect summary of how to approach it and I agree that I regard it as feedback as I don't feel qualified to really 'critique' someone else's work and I don't think that's what the 52 is about. It's a fun, personal project and we're all here to share images and ideas, and find out from our peers what works and maybe pick up some tips along the way (y)

I don't think many of us are experts or feel confident in criticising other people's work but we do say what we like, how it makes us feel, and definitely ask questions. @Gritty Heather, just look at the images and if start off by saying what you like - and thank you for commenting on mine last week :)

@Gritty

Nostromo thank you for your reply.

I like "feedback".

I googled critique and this is what I found in the dictionary "A critique is a detailed analysis and evaluation of a form of art. While no two people will experience the same reaction to a work of art, or interpret it the same way, there are a few basic guidelines you can follow to achieve a thoughtful, thorough critique.

I googled feedback and this is what the dictionary stated, "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement"
I find that people photo's evoke a reaction in me, so going forward I will try to give everyone feedback on how their picture makes me feel. :)

I think anyone can give critique on photos even if they don`t know how to use a camera, everyone can see a different angle a shot. Now what I will say about you Heather is, at the end of the day you are a photographer who loves photography, so you can have a vision in your head on a type of image so to me you are good enough to give critique on any of the images (y)

PS: On some of my images I might think that`s a great shot, but then someone might say OH no it`s to dark so with critique take what you like and want from it and leave the rest.
Thanks Dave70D, we are all individuals and we all see things through different eyes. You are right, I love photography and I really appreciate your "Critique" :) on my previous post.

Thanks Dave70D, we are all individuals and we all see things through different eyes. You are right, I love photography and I really appreciate your "Critique" :) on my previous post.

Thank you Heather, and your more than welcome too as my comments will be classed as Feedback (y)

Hi Heather @Gritty. It's worth having a go at critiquing a few images, as it makes you look at them to understand what it is you like or dislike about them, which can them inform your own photography.
If you're worried about upsetting people, 1. Don't be, people shouldn't get upset at honest critique and/or 2. Maybe do the critique on some of the shots of the old hands on here. We've been doing it long enough to know ot take it in the vein it's intended (Look at the comments on my images which have pretty universally been "oh god he's at it again!").

Hi Heather @Gritty. Maybe do the critique on some of the shots of the old hands on here. We've been doing it long enough to know ot take it in the vein it's intended (Look at the comments on my images which have pretty universally been "oh god he's at it again!").

@Gritty the above 100% (y)

Hi Heather @Gritty. It's worth having a go at critiquing a few images, as it makes you look at them to understand what it is you like or dislike about them, which can them inform your own photography.
If you're worried about upsetting people, 1. Don't be, people shouldn't get upset at honest critique and/or 2. Maybe do the critique on some of the shots of the old hands on here. We've been doing it long enough to know ot take it in the vein it's intended (Look at the comments on my images which have pretty universally been "oh god he's at it again!").

LC2, thank you so much I guess being new to all this and not wanting to make an idiot of myself I was reluctant too. I will look out for others universal comments on your postings. :)

@Gritty Hi Heather.
I too was in your position just over a year ago, being new to the forum, and being completely new to critiquing the work of others.
I felt daunted by it and wasn't sure what to write, "Who am I? I'm a nobody! And I don't know anything!" I would say to myself, but the experienced members here soon put my mind at rest.
I just try to find something I like about an image, and I comment on that...it's not perhaps the best way to critique, but I sometimes don't feel qualified enough to offer 'proper' critique.
@Nostromo is wise to prefer the word feedback...it has far less 'weight' to it and consequently is less scary...thanks Dominic!

The 52 challenge is afterall, a relaxed forum, and you are able to contribute how you so wish...be it serious and dedicated or (like me) laid back and lazy!!:LOL:

Just have fun with your camera and don't worry about feedback, it'll be fine!(y)

full
full
full
full
full

Aww...thanks Dave!!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

LC2, thank you so much I guess being new to all this and not wanting to make an idiot of myself I was reluctant too. I will look out for others universal comments on your postings. :)

Don't get hang-up about it. Heather @Gritty. We all newbie once. When I rekindle this hobby some 9 years ago after a long break away from the old film SLR days I was, like you, join this challenge on day one and I learn a lot since or none at all some would say. :giggle: It took me a few weeks before I post my first comment as I wasn't too keen or happy to 'judge' others photos with next to none experience or know-how.

What Tim @LC2 said, start with some the old hands.

@GarethB , @Dave70D how did the conversation go from critique and feedback to reignition of your "Bromance" :LOL:

@Gritty I know where you are coming from. When I first joined a camera club they had critique sessions and I felt completely out of my depth. As others have said, if you like an image just try and think what it is you like about it, or what you think you might change to make you like it more. As you read more critiques, you'll get the hang of it more, but everyone here is very friendly and supportive. It's a great way to extend yourself.

Don't get hang-up about it. Heather @Gritty. We all newbie once. When I rekindle this hobby some 9 years ago after a long break away from the old film SLR days I was, like you, join this challenge on day one and I learn a lot since or none at all some would say. :giggle: It took me a few weeks before I post my first comment as I wasn't too keen or happy to 'judge' others photos with next to none experience or know-how.

What Tim @LC2 said, start with some the old hands.

Thanks Stan, really appreciate you commenting glad i'm not the only one that has felt that way.

@Gritty I know where you are coming from. When I first joined a camera club they had critique sessions and I felt completely out of my depth. As others have said, if you like an image just try and think what it is you like about it, or what you think you might change to make you like it more. As you read more critiques, you'll get the hang of it more, but everyone here is very friendly and supportive. It's a great way to extend yourself.

Thank you Bebop for commenting, it is lovely to hear that I am not the only one feeling this way. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. Everyone has been so supportive, I cannot thank you all enough for all your kind comments.

Back