weekly Thirsty's TP 52 challenge for 2017 - Weeks 43 & 44 Added

If I cropped out the cars on the right I'd take out the bush on the left too, but I like stuff close cropped anyway. Well done for catching up, I'm trying right now and it's hard. Your mirror shot for 'you' is great.

Hi Nigel

I do like the Cleaned lorries lined up, nice angle bringing them close together.

Curves and Arches are both a bit busy ... but on theme.

Occupation is a good one ... lots of people and colour. Nicely focused.

You ... great idea, especially using a little round mirror ... nicely done. (y)

As above re cars....
Is that the place on the canal, next to the Grand Junction arms ?

Occupation- Love the engine, the drivers face (he looks a real character) and the low pov but I think I would have cropped some off the right had side. I find it a bit too distracting
You - Well done with the mirror. Good and sharp in the reflection and it looks good in B&W too
Arches - Interesting building lots of good arches but my first thought was I would have cropped out the cars too

:D

Lots of arches there, I might be tempted to crop the cars on the right but then people would probably be saying it's too tight on the right so may be not

Arches goes well in mono Nigel, agree with Chris on cropping the cars out :)

Specially like the B&W Nigel, but agree about the crop.:)

All shapes and sizes of arches, black and white treatment work well too. Personally, I would crop out the cars on the right and focus more on the main theme of arch(es)
Ahhh I agreed with all of these... then found more of the same so stopped quoting them as felt like rubbing salt in... So lots of arches for sure, like the choice of B&W and theme wise ticked :)

Hi Nigel, a catch-up from me as I've just got up-to-date again with my images, and you've posted a few.

I do really like your image for Clean with the colourful row of shiny trucks, Curves was well spotted and really suits B&W, and the tent in the foreground also has a nice curve to it. For Occupation, that puff of steam/smoke behind the traction engine works well to isolate and draw attention to the engine driver, before the eye takes in the rest of the colourful scene. Mirrors can be very tricky so you've done well to get a plain background for You, especially with such a small mirror, and that's an interesting building for Arch and also suits B&W processing. As others have noted, I think you could get away with a crop on the right side.

Well done on your big catch-up. I know it's a challenge and it feels great to be up to date :)

Lots of arches there, I might be tempted to crop the cars on the right but then people would probably be saying it's too tight on the right so may be not

Arches goes well in mono Nigel, agree with Chris on cropping the cars out :)

Specially like the B&W Nigel, but agree about the crop.:)

All shapes and sizes of arches, black and white treatment work well too. Personally, I would crop out the cars on the right and focus more on the main theme of arch(es)

Ahhh I agreed with all of these... then found more of the same so stopped quoting them as felt like rubbing salt in... So lots of arches for sure, like the choice of B&W and theme wise ticked :)

OK, thanks to all above for your comments, looks like I should of cropped the cars out then :)..... take your points, was rushing a bit as I was going away.

Hi Nigel, a catch-up from me as I've just got up-to-date again with my images, and you've posted a few.
I do really like your image for Clean with the colourful row of shiny trucks, Curves was well spotted and really suits B&W, and the tent in the foreground also has a nice curve to it. For Occupation, that puff of steam/smoke behind the traction engine works well to isolate and draw attention to the engine driver, before the eye takes in the rest of the colourful scene. Mirrors can be very tricky so you've done well to get a plain background for You, especially with such a small mirror, and that's an interesting building for Arch and also suits B&W processing. As others have noted, I think you could get away with a crop on the right side.

Well done on your big catch-up. I know it's a challenge and it feels great to be up to date :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment, the mirror shot is my most recent favorite too :).

As above re cars....
Is that the place on the canal, next to the Grand Junction arms ?

Yup, taken from the Junction Arms.

Occupation- Love the engine, the drivers face (he looks a real character) and the low pov but I think I would have cropped some off the right had side. I find it a bit too distracting
You - Well done with the mirror. Good and sharp in the reflection and it looks good in B&W too
Arches - Interesting building lots of good arches but my first thought was I would have cropped out the cars too

:D

Thanks for the comments.

Hi Nigel

I do like the Cleaned lorries lined up, nice angle bringing them close together.

Curves and Arches are both a bit busy ... but on theme.

Occupation is a good one ... lots of people and colour. Nicely focused.

You ... great idea, especially using a little round mirror ... nicely done. (y)

Thanks for your comment :).

Arches
Some good arches there. It's a little dark for me (just personal taste).
Not too sure if the cars bother me that much.

Hi Nigel,

Clean(ed) - Certainly shiny. Is it a race weekend? Trucks aren't often lined up like that, and 3 Ducati trucks in a row...

Curves - Really like this one. Heritage industrial stuff is always good in my book.
B&W works and tends to stop the tent in the bottom detracting, but I wonder if a tighter crop to remove it would work.

Occupation(al) - Nice. Loving the line up of the different miniature engines.
Did you try this one in B&W too? To hide the big inflatable scary clown? Oddly my eye is drawn to the woman with the push chair to the right of the leading traction engine. Perhaps becasue she seems to be looking at you.

You - Heh, I've just realised I've posted something very similar to this, but then again, very much not.

Arches - (Three different ones) - I'm sure there is a song title in there somewhere ;)
Again B&W works, but I might have gone a bit more contrasty. Dunno.

Arches
Some good arches there. It's a little dark for me (just personal taste).
Not too sure if the cars bother me that much.

Thanks, B/W can be a bit marmite at times :).

Hi Nigel ... there's definitely lots of arches there so well spotted for the theme. You're up to date so well done.

Thanks

Hi Nigel,

Clean(ed) - Certainly shiny. Is it a race weekend? Trucks aren't often lined up like that, and 3 Ducati trucks in a row...

Curves - Really like this one. Heritage industrial stuff is always good in my book.
B&W works and tends to stop the tent in the bottom detracting, but I wonder if a tighter crop to remove it would work.

Occupation(al) - Nice. Loving the line up of the different miniature engines.
Did you try this one in B&W too? To hide the big inflatable scary clown? Oddly my eye is drawn to the woman with the push chair to the right of the leading traction engine. Perhaps becasue she seems to be looking at you.

You - Heh, I've just realised I've posted something very similar to this, but then again, very much not.

Arches - (Three different ones) - I'm sure there is a song title in there somewhere ;)
Again B&W works, but I might have gone a bit more contrasty. Dunno.

Hi Tim, Cleaned, the trucks were shot at Moto GP at Silverstone.

Occupation(al) - I did try it in B/W but just didnt seem to work.

Hey Nigel :)

I prefer the colour version for Display myself, a much more immersive image for me, real nice colours too :)

Bent - the stalks are certainly bent although I think not the focus point, still generally a pleasing image with a good DoF and a nice choice for the theme (y)

... think I prefer the B&W Display ... better (as in more interesting-looking) ad too.

Ah Bent fungi stalks ... good find, well caught.

Bent - subtle colours and o.o.f. background works well for me.

Hey Nigel :)

I prefer the colour version for Display myself, a much more immersive image for me, real nice colours too :)

Bent - the stalks are certainly bent although I think not the focus point, still generally a pleasing image with a good DoF and a nice choice for the theme (y)

Thanks Dean, I liked the colours two :).

... think I prefer the B&W Display ... better (as in more interesting-looking) ad too.

Ah Bent fungi stalks ... good find, well caught.

Thanks David.

Colour for Display for me Nigel, I find it much more eye catching.
Fungi ...one of my favourite things to photograph, well spotted for the theme, those Bent stalk fit it perfectly

Thanks Susie.

Bent - subtle colours and o.o.f. background works well for me.

Thanks David.

Display is a difficult choice, I like the colours but the images on the boards are more interesting in the mono. If the boards were the same I would go for the colour version :D
Great spot for the bent mushroom stalks. Nice colours and dof.
Nicely spotted too for the window. I assume its not a lived in property as it looks very over grown.

Nice shot for wood Nigel

Wood, well spotted, I like the detail in the arched top with the wood grain being visible.

Hi Nigel,

Display - Ooh, I think I prefer #2, because of the array of tones.

Bent - Ugly looking things, but well captured and on theme.

Wood - Nice find. Distressed wood, plenty of texture, a bit of architecture. What's not to like :)

Bent
I do like a bit of fungi photography and this one woks really well for the theme.

Wood
I think it's a bit central and may work better if you could see a bit more of the window.

Love the idea for the theme Nigel

Nice motion blur in wall
Symmetry works well in b/w, but I do wonder if it needs tad more contrast as Andy said ?

Couple of good photos, well handled light given the situations. I tend to agree that symmetry looks like there is more to be had

Glass Wall interestingly different idea. Yes a LHS crop and you wouldn't know where wall starts & finishes.

Symmetrical ... very nicely done and top idea for the theme.

Hi Nigel,

Wall - Nice and effective. I like how you've captured the tube train moving behind the glass.
Taken at around 3.30pm, impressive that you've managed to get the effect you want + no people wandering into your shot.

Symmetrical - Yup, that works. Plenty of symmetry and the escalators lead your eye to the bright point in the shot.
Which station is this? The roof looks a bit like Southwark, but the escalators are wrong.

Back