weekly TPDK's 52 of 2017 - Wk 49 to 52 Added and COMPLETE

Impressive given the lack of noise in the pushed version, but then I seem to recall you have a 5D mark IV ;)

Dark, it is amazing what can be done with Raw, a good job and well done :)
Thank you Dave :)
Impressive given the lack of noise in the pushed version, but then I seem to recall you have a 5D mark IV ;)
Cheers too Chris :)

The technology in today's digital camera is just amazing.

Excellent idea for the theme and well explained.
Thank you Stan :) - and yes the tech is getting great, I do wonder, like todays 'smart phones' how much more they can advance them, moving forward just small increments of existing levels, who knows!!

Well, if nothing else it is an impressive proof of concept that you don't need light for taking photos :)

'ello, Number, now that is one sexy lady :)

Crit first: I'd like more smoke around the lady, my eyes are drawn away by the two pools of smoke left and right, she seems to have a slightly furrowed brow. Overall, the red backlighting works really well, and he pose...is to die for :clap:

Attractive dress works really well with the surroundings. Shadow is a little harsh for me, and I'd prefer a ightly higher POV...another sexy lady :)

Dark, superb shadow recovery....for a Canon ;)

Cheets.

Well, if nothing else it is an impressive proof of concept that you don't need light for taking photos :)
Very true and just what I was trying, so thank you Bernd :)

That's was an excellent idea for the theme DK ... my camera has a raw setting, I keep forgetting to put it on, now you've reminded me :)
Hahaa Susie, you MUST do RAW... and thank you as always (y)

'ello, Number, now that is one sexy lady :)
Cathy was indeed a very nice girl (y)

Crit first: I'd like more smoke around the lady, my eyes are drawn away by the two pools of smoke left and right, she seems to have a slightly furrowed brow. Overall, the red backlighting works really well, and he pose...is to die for :clap:
Thank you Andy :cool:, and yes I too would have liked more smoke, I think I will invest in one of them machines :)

Attractive dress works really well with the surroundings. Shadow is a little harsh for me, and I'd prefer a ightly higher POV...another sexy lady :)
Thank you again Andy, agreed :) I do have some from up higher, still editing them... got 400 to go through :bang:

Dark, superb shadow recovery....for a Canon ;)

Cheets.
Hahaaaaa thanks :p

Right... busy week ahead so bit of a rush job here to be sure I do not fall behind...

Last night, lovely clouds at home with a strong wind so thought I would shoot across to the local power station, a north sea gas plant just 15 minuets away, I was really looking forward to getting a sunset, tower and streaky skies :) )

Lonnnnnng story short - By the time I got there... HORROR, the wind had blown all the flipping clouds to the left, I had my small camera bag with me that I packed for last weekend for the bar images, and typical, no filters, no gloves, no spanner to tighten a slightly lose tri-pod head either :bang:

So played about for a bit struggled to get much due to the sky blowing, so settled for in camera HDR to get some life into it, I managed to get some car trails in this one which for me helps it a bit, but I think this is a marmite image for sure, HDR hell for some :D

Week 12 - Power

Wk 12 - Power by TP DK, on Flickr

And to get me somewhere up to date (bar mineral still) this week I decided for the 'Re-shoot' I would instead re-visit the 'Attractive' image and re edit it taking on board everybody's comments (bar Andy as using same image not one from higher up), so...

I lightened the dress shadows closest to the light source, darkened the shadow where the head is on the glass, did some titivating of the textures, and darkened some of the brightest parts of the windows where they were blown - I have included the original below the edit for comparison purposes :)

Wk 12 - Re-Shoot Re-Edit - Attractive :)

Week 12 - Re-shoot - Attractive by TP DK, on Flickr

ORIGINAL -

Week 10 - Attractive by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Power - nice concept, like the lights on the chimney and athe light trails but as as Andy mentioned there is a bit of a halo

The re-edit is nice and subtle but does make a big difference IMHO

Power - I like the blue tone and sparkly lights, they contrast together nicely. I think the car trails work fine at the bottom which would perhaps otherwise be a bit empty. As for the halos, think I've just seen the same Nick Page video as Posiview.

Attractive - to my untrained eye, I hadn't really noticed any of the issues you mentioned until you mentioned them. I guess you have to be careful with lifting the shadows on the dress too much in some areas in case it appears to be lit where there was naturally no light falling and then just looks odd. Looks like you did a good job and the extra texture/form of the dress has come out well.

Number, Excellent shot, great set up and pose. Reminds me of a Burlesque night I once had the chance to shoot.

Attractive, another nice shot of an attractive lady.

Dark, more of a test of equipment but still shows how far sensors have come.

Power, The image had potential, I like the light trail you've caught and the POV of the building. I'm sure with some skilled pp the halo could be reduced a little.

(y)

The halo distracts a bit in my opinion, otherwise it's a perfectly fine HDR photo.

Power, I like the unusual light trails. Was someone turning around? The starbursts on the lights on the chimney are nice as well. As others have said the halo is very pronounced, so much so that I did wonder if you did it deliberately to add a sort of power glow to the building.

I like the work you have done with the re-edit, especially the work lifting the shadows on the dress and taking down the highlights on the windows.

I amazed at how little noise there is in the recovery shot...I'm not sure my little d3200 would cope that well :LOL:
With the vibrant blues of the HDR the halo makes it look as though the station is about to blow...take cover :eek: I do like the framing of the light trails though.

The halo has been mentioned but I suppose that was a consequence of the processing I do really like the swirl of the car lights

Unless the halos in power are intentional I've just watched a great video for removing the halos, let me know if you want it and I'll post the link.

cheers
Ahhhhh that would be handy, as no it wasn't intentional, would love to re-edit it tonight when not on my phone, with it being in camera there was little in LR to fix it, I did try a few brush options but they were very difficult to improve... so I decided to leave it as is and have it as a glow 'feature' :D

would be cool to get rid of it - Thanks :)

Ahhhhh that would be handy, as no it wasn't intentional, would love to re-edit it tonight when not on my phone, with it being in camera there was little in LR to fix it, I did try a few brush options but they were very difficult to improve... so I decided to leave it as is and have it as a glow 'feature' :D

would be cool to get rid of it - Thanks :)

Here you go. Nice and simple. View from 2:35.

Cheers.

Hi DK.
Power - Not sure on the halo myself (which you've acknowledged too), but if stuck with it I would have either claimed it was a leaking nuclear power station, or that it was powered by ready brek ;)
I do like the very blue feel to it though.

Re-shoot - Subtly different, I had to look really hard to appreciate the changes. I think it's an improvement.

Power - nice concept, like the lights on the chimney and athe light trails but as as Andy mentioned there is a bit of a halo
Thank you Chris :)

The re-edit is nice and subtle but does make a big difference IMHO
Thank you, I thought so too :)

Power - I like the blue tone and sparkly lights, they contrast together nicely. I think the car trails work fine at the bottom which would perhaps otherwise be a bit empty. As for the halos, think I've just seen the same Nick Page video as Posiview.
Thank you too Chris, thanks too for the tip :)

Attractive - to my untrained eye, I hadn't really noticed any of the issues you mentioned until you mentioned them. I guess you have to be careful with lifting the shadows on the dress too much in some areas in case it appears to be lit where there was naturally no light falling and then just looks odd. Looks like you did a good job and the extra texture/form of the dress has come out well.
Very true and thank you, I didn't notice many until I received the crit, more than happy to change things after considering comments and these were all very relevant :)

Number, Excellent shot, great set up and pose. Reminds me of a Burlesque night I once had the chance to shoot.
Thank you :) - I bet the Burlesque night was good ??

Attractive, another nice shot of an attractive lady.
Thank you and agreed :)

Dark, more of a test of equipment but still shows how far sensors have come.
Very true, but still photography, and an image open to comments... that's my excuse :D

Power, The image had potential, I like the light trail you've caught and the POV of the building. I'm sure with some skilled pp the halo could be reduced a little.

(y)
Thank you again, I'm going to try :)

The halo distracts a bit in my opinion, otherwise it's a perfectly fine HDR photo.
Agreed Bernd, I hoped nobody would notice, but on this forum there is no flipping chance of getting anything through :D

Power, I like the unusual light trails. Was someone turning around?
Me too... and yes it was a very handy U-turn in front of me :)

The starbursts on the lights on the chimney are nice as well. As others have said the halo is very pronounced, so much so that I did wonder if you did it deliberately to add a sort of power glow to the building.
That's what I should have said :D - and thanks again :)

I like the work you have done with the re-edit, especially the work lifting the shadows on the dress and taking down the highlights on the windows.
Thank you very much :)

Power like it DK, nice getting the lights in shot and some smoke too and the light trails.
Cheers Dave :)

Re Edit, another cool bit of editing from you, and think it is a lot better :)
Nice of you to say, thanks again :cool:

I amazed at how little noise there is in the recovery shot...I'm not sure my little d3200 would cope that well :LOL:
Haaaa thank you Em, I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad :)

With the vibrant blues of the HDR the halo makes it look as though the station is about to blow...take cover :eek: I do like the framing of the light trails though.
Heheee yes it does doesn't it :LOL:

I thought you done well with the Power shot considering the limitations you were having. Apart from the halo around the building, the image is clean and sharp.
Thank you Stan, they often give us a challenge more than we expected hey :)

Like the re-(edit)shoot of Attractive. The texture of the dress is so much clearer and sharper.
Pleased you think so, thank you again Stan :)

Like the power shot, shame about the clouds and all but great saturation in the sky and a nice light trail at the forefront brings the shot nicely together.
Thank you Paul :)

The halo has been mentioned but I suppose that was a consequence of the processing I do really like the swirl of the car lights
Thank you Allan

Hi DK.
Power - Not sure on the halo myself (which you've acknowledged too), but if stuck with it I would have either claimed it was a leaking nuclear power station, or that it was powered by ready brek ;)
DAMN !!! why didn't I think of ready brek :LOL:
I do like the very blue feel to it though.
Cool :D thanks :cool:

Re-shoot - Subtly different, I had to look really hard to appreciate the changes. I think it's an improvement.
Subtle is good, yes :whistle:

My first visit since early January so lots to catch up on! Favourites so far are Smooth, for all the complicated planning that went into it and a striking and effective final image, Whole for the sense of motion and space, Structure for the idea and work in de-saturating the image and then bringing back the colourful details of the structure itself, and finally the lighting and pose in the very crisp and fitting Number. Looking forward to keeping up now :)

Love the Power station shot. I'd say the halo is intentional o_O:D

It's got so many star-bursts ... and tail lights of a car driven by a madman. :clap:

@Dark Knight Twas most entertaining...

LINK NSFW

Burlesque
I bet it was too, I quite fancy having a go (behind the camera) at that one day :)

My first visit since early January so lots to catch up on! Favourites so far are Smooth, for all the complicated planning that went into it and a striking and effective final image, Whole for the sense of motion and space, Structure for the idea and work in de-saturating the image and then bringing back the colourful details of the structure itself, and finally the lighting and pose in the very crisp and fitting Number. Looking forward to keeping up now :)
Thank you Andrea :)

Love the Power station shot. I'd say the halo is intentional o_O:D
Woo Hoo... I'll take that then, thank you :D (y)

It's got so many star-bursts ... and tail lights of a car driven by a madman. :clap:
Yup... thank you again (y)

It wasn't you was it

I like the PP too, it makes the trees branch structure stand out, very impressive I do like a good tree (y)

Oh very nicely done. I don't know what PP was involved but the end result I like.

Like Above Dean, the light bottom and a slight dark/shadow on the branches, plus it goes well in mono :)
Thank you David :)

I like the PP too, it makes the trees branch structure stand out, very impressive I do like a good tree (y)
Cheers Allan, Same here, can't beat a good tree :)

Oh very nicely done. I don't know what PP was involved but the end result I like.
Thank you too David :)

And here is mine for this week...

A couple of ways to look at it, take it which way that suits this easing into the theme :whistle:

1) The Maple Tree seed pod has been around for millions of years, and not evolved much at all
2) This seed pod has evolved into a skeletal frame / wings

Week 14 - Evolved by TP DK, on Flickr

I like the harsh light creating the very strong shadow, excellent skeleton and the BG of rock is perfect very good indeed

I like you photo for evolved very much! Theme-wise it's probably a shoehorn, but I like the colours and the harsh light and hard shadows.

Back