weekly TPDK's 52 of 2017 - Wk 49 to 52 Added and COMPLETE

Tiny Damsel flies is good enough and on theme, they are tiny if next to a human :D
Exactly :LOL:

Think you have got enough detail in the shot of them and a good bg too :)
Thank you Dave :)
Face is a good shot as you got the eyes sharp and a good dof, so well done on two cracking shots Dean (y)(y)
Cool, thanks again, wasn't sure if DoF was enough :)

Catching up once again :rolleyes:
No worries... I have been to as well as many others :)

Good eye contact with the model and I don't mind the shadows but how tall was that model, looks like she must have been about 8ft!
Thank you, she was quite tall but I think there is an allusion with her legs, as they seemed to go on for ever :D

I like the comp on the Damselflies, they look good on the diagonal and the blue stands out well against the green leaves.
Thank you again :)

Love all the bits of pollen on the bee type bug, great for face. Not sure if I might have either cropped it closer to just have the face or a bit wider to include the back wing:)
Hmmmm I was torn to be honest on where to crop, I went in and out several times :D

Ooops just scrolling back and realised I've somehow missed loads of your pictures :oops: :$ in fact too many to comment on :exit:Sorry :(
No problem and no need to be sorry, not everyone or many people can comment on all images, appreciate what you have commented on (y)

Tiny's a cracker Dean. love the colours. Almost a robotic feel to it.
Cheers Mark, I agree they do look strange :)

Tiny compositionly is really good it does look slightly over sharpened though, it could be the harsh light, insects are very shiny.

the hoverfly too is slightly off focus maybe, but as you say the wind and the very shallow DoF make this really hard

Tiny compositionly is really good it does look slightly over sharpened though, it could be the harsh light, insects are very shiny.

the hoverfly too is slightly off focus maybe, but as you say the wind and the very shallow DoF make this really hard
Correct and Correct, but hey I am up to date :D - thank you Allan (y)

I like your studio DK Big window, chunky radiator, Sharelle's looking at home there. (y)

Love the tiny, Dean. perfect for the theme and lovely composition. Like the way the bristles on "her" head catch the light. Was that daylight or flash?

Face; I actually like the shallow DoF as it focuses attention on the face. Not sure what sort of bee/fly it is but impressive at that scale. would love to get into true macro,b but not sure where to start.

Hi DK,

Minimalism - Works for me. It's the kind of shot that makes you ponder on what is going on.
Progress - But are the new jumbo size Fix It Again Tony 500s really progress? I love the cuteness of the originals and that seems so right on that street.
Pleasure - I think I prefer the original version, before the cloning, it breaks the background up a bit but isn't overpowering. The bare wall is a bit, well, bare...
Lovely shot, though if that's how you hold your pool cue, I take it you don't often win.
Tiny - Good sharp image, I like the colours you've captured.
Face - Great detail, you can see the pollen that's stuck to the face and things. (y)

Those 2 'Tiny' Damselflies are at it, what a lovely shot. :clap:
Thanks David :)

I like your studio DK Big window, chunky radiator, Sharelle's looking at home there. (y)
Thank you again :) :)

Love the tiny, Dean. perfect for the theme and lovely composition. Like the way the bristles on "her" head catch the light. Was that daylight or flash?
It was daylight but quite bright, I did try flash to try and freeze the movement in the reeds but light was too strong and 1/200 wasn't really cutting it :thinking:

Face; I actually like the shallow DoF as it focuses attention on the face. Not sure what sort of bee/fly it is but impressive at that scale. would love to get into true macro,b but not sure where to start.
Thank you, I'd like to be able to do it better for sure, and also have no idea what it was, it was very small :D

Hi DK,

Minimalism - Works for me. It's the kind of shot that makes you ponder on what is going on.
Progress - But are the new jumbo size Fix It Again Tony 500s really progress? I love the cuteness of the originals and that seems so right on that street.
Pleasure - I think I prefer the original version, before the cloning, it breaks the background up a bit but isn't overpowering. The bare wall is a bit, well, bare...
Lovely shot, though if that's how you hold your pool cue, I take it you don't often win.
Tiny - Good sharp image, I like the colours you've captured.
Face - Great detail, you can see the pollen that's stuck to the face and things. (y)
Cool, thanks for the big catch up Tim (y)

Progress shot for me was the car 'progressing' down the road rather than progress in design, I am with you, I dislike the new 500's and the whole retro revival of models, Them Beetles and Mini's, what's next Reliant Robins !!

Nice, I do like the horizontal line at the bottom...for some reason :geek:

Looks like it's rubbing it's hands :)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :)

Long story short, went out today without checking my kit that was already in the car from last week, and when I went for my drive I found myself with a flashing 'Change Battery' in my camera and both of my spare batteries still at home :banghead: :D - well not done that for a few years so was bound to happen again at some time :)

I got a dozen shots probably, of 5 different subjects, of the ones I got before the battery died I was struggling to choose from these two, so putting both up... definitely a candidate for a re-shoot week for me :)

Wk 27 - Agriculture by TP DK, on Flickr

I think I may have been spotted when taking this shot :D

Wk 27 - Agriculture 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't sure how these would go, other than I guessed the cows would get the ladies votes for certain :D

The cows for me very amusing, the first one is certainly on theme but not as engaging
Thank you Allan and very true, something at the top of the tracks would of helped :)

Another one for the cows, like how they all spotted you :) I think they are going tut tut, remember to always check your camera :D
I know hey... what a plonker :D - Thanks Dave (y)

I like both for the theme but I think the cows get the vote
Annnnd thank you too Chris :)

I like letterbox too and pleased to see you've done it with both these.

First one's a strong image and unusual, I wonder what's growing there!

But love the cows laughing at the cameraman :)

@Dark Knight
had a look at all your photos in this thread. All I can say is your work is amazing, keep it up. All are good, but you deffo have some crackers too!

Last edited:
Cows for me and I like the letterbox crop.
Thank you Dom :)

I like letterbox too and pleased to see you've done it with both these.

First one's a strong image and unusual, I wonder what's growing there!
Thanks David :)

I wish I knew too, but sadly there was a huge bank and ditch full of nettles between me and the field, and as well as a low battery I had only trainers and shorts on, so no walking through that lot for me as I would normally :D

But love the cows laughing at the cameraman :)
Hahaha yes, thanks again :)

Another vote for the cows. Did they want you to moooooove along?
HAhaaha :LOL: - Thank you too Tim :)

@Dark Knight
had a look at al your photos in this thread. All I can say is your work is amazing, keep it up. All are good, but you deffo have some crackers too!
Thank you very much :) :)

Great lines on the first one, but also a vote for the cows - love this photo
Cool, thank you Donna :cool:

And here is mine from last week - Taken at the right time, whilst I was away for the weekend camping, only just had time to go through them and edit :)

Hmmmm I got this from RSPB Minsmere, we had a great day there, though I took my longest lens with it being a 70-200 it wasn't long enough to get in as close as I wanted, but still got some nice shots and still a nice day.

Here we have, I think, is a Bittern, damn it was a large bird and I certainly thought it flew through the air very gracefully for it's size :)

Week 28 - Graceful

Week 28 - Graceful by TP DK, on Flickr

was wondering if a crop-to-zoom might be an idea but ...
:) yes it was at full stretch and boy this is a hell of a crop too :D

... perhaps you thought you'd gone far enough. And, it is after all, a very nice setting ... is it just wilderness or farmer's corn/grass?

And here is mine from last week - Taken at the right time, whilst I was away for the weekend camping, only just had time to go through them and edit :)

Hmmmm I got this from RSPB Minsmere, we had a great day there, though I took my longest lens with it being a 70-200 it wasn't long enough to get in as close as I wanted, but still got some nice shots and still a nice day.

Here we have, I think, is a Bittern, damn it was a large bird and I certainly thought it flew through the air very gracefully for it's size :)

Week 28 - Graceful
Very good and graceful. Some people would just never see a Bitten ever let alone see one fly like that, lucky thing you.:)

Week 28 - Graceful by TP DK, on Flickr

I've missed a lot of great shots while I've been so useless on commenting :( The light on face is maybe a litttle harsh I think, but your tiny damselflies are fantastic...I love the composition and plenty of detail. I've never managed to get close to them mating like this - they make such a pretty shape! That's a fun shot for pleasure, and better with the clean background (not that I would have seen that!) and the bittern is a great shot, nicely composed. Your cows made me smile - love the crop on this :)

Hi Dean, another catch-up from me, having missed your last few.

I really like all the details in Tiny and the composition, which allows you to see the metallic sheen to their bodies. Great find, and well captured (y)
I would echo George's comments on Face, about either cropping in closer on the face or including the top of the wing, but note that you struggled to decide yourself, and in any case the image is on theme and shows great detail and colour in that tiny face. It looks as though it's rubbing its 'hands' together, too :)
Definitely the second Agriculture image for me with that line of calm, interested faces, and a nice range of colours too. The letterbox crop is perfect.
Graceful - it certainly is. I know nothing about birds but this one looks impressive in flight and stands out nicely against the muted background tones (y)

Agriculture; The cow shot for me. Love how they are looking at the camera and probably wonder what's the man doing and why taking photos of us!. :)
Thank you Stan... and yes they do look like that don't they :)

Graceful; great timing and well caught.
And thank you again :)

Oh, btw you need to edit the thread title.
Ahhhh good thinking (y)

was wondering if a crop-to-zoom might be an idea but ...
Well... this is a MASSIVE crop already :D

... perhaps you thought you'd gone far enough. And, it is after all, a very nice setting ... is it just wilderness or farmer's corn/grass?
It is wild marshland on the RSPB reserve, such a lovely setting :)

I've missed a lot of great shots while I've been so useless on commenting :(
Oh dear... naughty you :LOL:

The light on face is maybe a litttle harsh I think, but your tiny damselflies are fantastic...I love the composition and plenty of detail. I've never managed to get close to them mating like this - they make such a pretty shape!
Oooo thank you Em, I did have to take a few to get them in enough light :)

That's a fun shot for pleasure, and better with the clean background (not that I would have seen that!)
I prefer it without the stimber bit too, odd how we miss stuff like that at times, rushing I guess :)

and the bittern is a great shot, nicely composed. Your cows made me smile - love the crop on this :)
Annnnnd thank you again on both counts Em, and thanks too for the catch up :)

Hi Dean, another catch-up from me, having missed your last few.
Good to be busy Andrea :)

I really like all the details in Tiny and the composition, which allows you to see the metallic sheen to their bodies. Great find, and well captured (y)
Thank you indeedy :)
I would echo George's comments on Face, about either cropping in closer on the face or including the top of the wing, but note that you struggled to decide yourself, and in any case the image is on theme and shows great detail and colour in that tiny face. It looks as though it's rubbing its 'hands' together, too :)
Thank you again, yes I think it could do with a closer crop :)
Definitely the second Agriculture image for me with that line of calm, interested faces, and a nice range of colours too. The letterbox crop is perfect.
I am glad Is put that one up now :) :)
Graceful - it certainly is. I know nothing about birds but this one looks impressive in flight and stands out nicely against the muted background tones (y)
Cheers Andrea, and thank you too for the in depth catch up, really appreciated (y)

Right and on to the next shot, again taken on the right day (Sunday before last) but not edited until last week and with work busy and a weekend in London it has been a busy time :)

A straight forward shot, some of my plumbs that look ready for picking and baking :)

Week 29 - Fruit

Week 29 - Fruit by TP DK, on Flickr

Back