Brian of Bozeats '52 for 2016 Week 10: Spikey

Hi Brian, excellent DoF on the chilli shot and i suppose it fits the theme

A guy I work with does all this running in the dark woods thing, iron man events and triathlons tires me out just listening to him

Couldn't figure out how it fit the theme but got it after reading your description. Feet on the wet ground is a good take! :)

Hi Brian ... love your chilli shot .... lots of lovely colour, shiny objects, shallow DOF into bokeh. (y)

Hi Brian, excellent DoF on the chilli shot and i suppose it fits the theme

A guy I work with does all this running in the dark woods thing, iron man events and triathlons tires me out just listening to him

I am (was) a real live iron man. I also represented GBR in my age group at the 2007 world long distance triathlon championships, however I suffered badly from shingles 4 years ago... I still run a bit and cycle a bit but I've never been the same since, I put on weight, lost motivation, I feel the cold something terrible now too, pretty much ruined me for the lake swimming. But it brought me back to photography and flying is my main passion now. Wow that sounds like a sad story but it's not, I'm happy! :)

Last edited:
Couldn't figure out how it fit the theme but got it after reading your description. Feet on the wet ground is a good take! :)

I suppose it's topical as in "of the moment" but then everyone's going to have their own version of what is topical to them. Thanks for commenting. :)

I guess as your feet and legs probably got most of the mud it was a pretty topical application too...!

Oh, clever comment! Only works if I stay upright! Haha, that reminds me, no one seems to have noticed that I was bent double and the shot was upside down when I took it!

Danger - I do like your take on the theme, good colours. I myself am not really a chilli fan, but I hope you enjoyed the tasting.

Topical - a well taken image, but not really working for the theme for me sadly. But feet up and rest for a week, till the next theme comes out.

Hi Jeff,
Danger - On theme with the Chilli, but that's not what makes the shot in my opinion. There is so much going on that it just dras you in and makes you keep coming back (I think it's all the spoons).
Topical - Not really sure what to make of it, but if it's topical for you then it's topical :) I hope your washing machine copes with all the mud!

Hmm, bit of shoehorn??? Looks very muddy, wet and you needed a nice cuppa after that run.

Ppppsssstt, can you like to the current submission in the No Comments thread (y), time is precious :)

Cheers.

Really like the Danger shot - that chilli could easily catch some poor unsuspecting person out. Excellent Dof and brilliantly vibrant image. Weather is always Topical - in fact we Brits are known for talking of hardly anything else, so spot on for the theme.

Topical goes heart of the challenge for me, it's your challenge and so it's your topical, as you say it also refers to wider topical issues so a good take on theme.

Hmm, bit of shoehorn??? Looks very muddy, wet and you needed a nice cuppa after that run.

Ppppsssstt, can you like to the current submission in the No Comments thread (y), time is precious :)

Cheers.

Cheers, what do you mean? Is that supposed to say "link"? I did a link didn't I?

You sound like GOLUM! :lmao:

Danger - I do like your take on the theme, good colours. I myself am not really a chilli fan, but I hope you enjoyed the tasting.

Topical - a well taken image, but not really working for the theme for me sadly. But feet up and rest for a week, till the next theme comes out.

Thank you. Some weeks I care more about the theme then others, I always think of it as more inspiration than an assignment.

Hi Jeff,
Danger - On theme with the Chilli, but that's not what makes the shot in my opinion. There is so much going on that it just dras you in and makes you keep coming back (I think it's all the spoons).
Topical - Not really sure what to make of it, but if it's topical for you then it's topical :) I hope your washing machine copes with all the mud!

Thank you, nice of you to say. Ha, yes the mud in the washing machine and the shower is one of the negatives of being a runner/ mountain biker.

Really like the Danger shot - that chilli could easily catch some poor unsuspecting person out. Excellent Dof and brilliantly vibrant image. Weather is always Topical - in fact we Brits are known for talking of hardly anything else, so spot on for the theme.

Thanks Carl. (y)

Dangerous.....That looks like a very interesting little taster selection!

Topical....Would work well for camouflage too!

Hi Brian... this echos one thought I had on Danger:

Hi Brian I like you image for danger, love the colours and DOF my only slight niggle is the brightness of the spoon in the centre pot it appears to be quite a lot brighter and draws my eye to it

I'd probably look for a touch more DOF so all of that front row of jars and spoons are in focus, but it's still a very pleasing image. I like the colours, the composition and the overall take for the theme (and I love chilli!) Well done (y)

Topical - who am I to complain about leg shots?! Despite the explanation, I'm not seeing as strong a link to the theme, but that's my fault. I do find the drain cover top left of frame and the reflective strips a touch distracting, but it's a hard theme this week...

Damgerous feels more like a challenge :eek: but like the dof.

Topical is as topical does. If it's topical to you then it is topical. Sounds like you've had a hard time of it :(

Ps, your link takes me to the first page of your thread and not the current theme.

Dangerous.....That looks like a very interesting little taster selection!

Topical....Would work well for camouflage too!

Thank you Ruth.

Hi Brian ....great shot for Dangerous ...I love the composition ....we love chilli too, but not tooooo hot.

Topical certainly works for me with all the wet weather we've been having.

Thanks Susie.

I'm loving the chillie and marmalade shot too, the oof spoon handles really add to the image for me, as do the vibrant colours, real nice idea (y)

Thanks Dean.

Hi Brian... this echos one thought I had on Danger:I'd probably look for a touch more DOF so all of that front row of jars and spoons are in focus, but it's still a very pleasing image. I like the colours, the composition and the overall take for the theme (and I love chilli!) Well done (y)

Topical - who am I to complain about leg shots?! Despite the explanation, I'm not seeing as strong a link to the theme, but that's my fault. I do find the drain cover top left of frame and the reflective strips a touch distracting, but it's a hard theme this week...

Thanks for your comments. The drain and the reflectors are part of the narative btw, (night / wet...)

Damgerous feels more like a challenge :eek: but like the dof.

Topical is as topical does. If it's topical to you then it is topical. Sounds like you've had a hard time of it :(

Ps, your link takes me to the first page of your thread and not the current theme.

Thanks Jill. I don't know why the link did that, I posted it from my ipad, the App is a bit tricky.

Like the idea. A simple clean, as no other distractions or elements, image. I suppose running is also very topical the few months after the new year.

Thanks Stan, yes most new year runners have given up by now! (I never go to the pool between xmas and valentines!)

The Living World?

This broken off reinforced concrete post was pulling tongues at me... Help!

IMG_0564.jpg

:cow:

B.

Last edited:
Nothing concrete to base it on (groan) but looks like Spongebob to me. Great find Brian - such a nice fun image - gives every impression of being alive. :clap:

Last edited:
That makes me smile too Brian, great spot :)
Too my eyes a tighter crop might be slightly better, it feels like there is too much dead space at the bottom (but what do I know?)

Thanks.

I did try it cropped but somehow it lost something when I did that...

Nothing concrete to base it on (groan) but looks like Spongebob to me. Great find Brian - such a nice fun image - gives every impression of being alive. :clap:

Thank you (not for the 'orrible joke though!) [emoji30]. [emoji3]

Always strange to see a photograph taken when you were there. Great eye to notice this one, Brian.

Cheers.

Thank you. Typical for me to cart all my photography equipment all over the Lake District, surrounded by wonderful scenes of nature and my image of the week ends up being something man made - and broken - that I pointed my iPhone at on the ground.[emoji38]

Back