weekly Bruja's 2016 52 - CELEBRATION

Three very different shots Jill. Torn between the first two - lovely glaze and detail in the cat's eyes but I do like the abstract of the floor tiles with the shades and veins .... hmmm #1 for me ..... I think.

Three very different shots Jill. Torn between the first two - lovely glaze and detail in the cat's eyes but I do like the abstract of the floor tiles with the shades and veins .... hmmm #1 for me ..... I think.

Thanks Carl, interestingly enough the first 2 were taken with my iPhone and the third with my 'proper' camera :D

I've also started a thread just for b&w to see how I can improve here

Last edited:
First one for me, a nice abstract with lots of detail and a good tonal range

#1 ... nice textures, works well.

#3 is interesting, but not for a B&W conversion.

Jill floor tile for me and the composition is great, i think the frame makes the picture. Serene made my eyes go funny ! must be the vodka !
Really funky !

Three good submissions, I quite like the cat although the first does have its merits, some nice shades of grey in it

Sorry very behind on comments

Hidden - Well done spot on theme ~(found it)
Lone - I love the shadows from the Palm leaves. works well for the theme
Fauna - Two lovely shots I like the colours of the first (I would just like to point out you don't get Ducklings from Cockerels)
Static - your original post is the better of the 2 and I like the angle
Game - The muted coloured one works best
Serene - an interesting shot thanks for the explanation.
Black and White - I like the first 2 best. I like the patterns and lines of the tiles but I love the detail on the cat too.

B&W 1, been out on the tiles again Jill? :D

Actually that's my favourite too :)

Ah ... very inscrutable Jill. Does acupuncture work - always wondered about trying it? Certainly is an ancient method of treatment. Excellent novel idea for the theme. :clap:

Great original idea Jill (y)
because it hurts when you do this to yourself rather than to other people......
No s*** Sherlock :D

Very clever idea, very different approach to the subject. And nicely executed.

Ouch, can't argue with that being ancient, though its going a little to far sticking them in yourself, I commend your commitment

Ouch again, great idea for the theme, well done on getting the fine detail on the needles

B & W - #1 for me, like the simplicity of the lines but also the detail in it.

Ancient - I admire your commitment to your art! The needles stand out nicely against the black background.

Ouch!!
You DO go above and beyond, Jill! :D

It'll be perfect for the theme Torture, ouch. I don't understand why its ancient.:jawdrop:

Nice idea for the theme. Not sure about your skin tones, are you getting enough sun?

And yes I like the way the needles stand out. (y)

Last edited:
Ah ... very inscrutable Jill. Does acupuncture work - always wondered about trying it? Certainly is an ancient method of treatment. Excellent novel idea for the theme. :clap:

I'm biased as I was an acupuncturist! I think 2 millenia of its practice probably means it does :p

Glad you like it

Great original idea Jill (y)

No s*** Sherlock :D

Cheers oh pink wriggly one :D

Very clever idea, very different approach to the subject. And nicely executed.

Thank you (y)

Ouch, can't argue with that being ancient, though its going a little to far sticking them in yourself, I commend your commitment

Cheers Allan, I've still got a bruise on my stomach :eek: It's hard to needle yourself whilst lying down on a narrow bench and holding onto a camera remote at the same time :p

Ouch again, great idea for the theme, well done on getting the fine detail on the needles

Thanks Chris. It was difficult as it was a 2 sec exposure in a dark room and I had to keep very, very still :eek:

B & W - #1 for me, like the simplicity of the lines but also the detail in it.

Ancient - I admire your commitment to your art! The needles stand out nicely against the black background.

Thanks Steve (y)

Ouch!!
You DO go above and beyond, Jill! :D

You know me Ruth, a combination of naked body and pain and I can't resist :LOL:

OUCHIE !!! - Nice composition Jill, and them pins stand out a treat against the black... clever idea indeed (y)

Thanks Dean. First thought that came to mind that didn't involve a crumbing building, just a crumbling body :p

It'll be perfect for the theme Torture, ouch. I don't understand why its ancient.:jawdrop:

Under practiced hands acupuncture is painless and can make you feel spaced out afterwards, so the opposite of torture really. And, as Dean says, it's been i existence for more than two millenia.

Maybe because Acupuncture dates back to around 100 BC... that is a tad old :D

Cheers Dean :p

That's an excellent idea for the theme. You and Mr B do suffer for your love of photography.

That we do Stan, that we do :p. Glad you like it (y)

Nice idea for the theme. Not sure about your skin tones, are you getting enough sun?

And yes I like the way the needles stand out. (y)

Unfortunately I had malignant melanoma a couple of years ago so I'm now as pale as a very pale thing (with freckles :p)

You' ve no idea how hard it was to get the needles against a black background. It was worse than actually needling myself :eek:

You must be bloody mad sticking pins into yourself ! or a sucker for pain ! Great idea Jill !

Thanks Chris (y)

That is a very clever take on the theme Jill and the black bg works a treat (y)

Thanks Emma. It was a bugger to set up though :D

Love the idea for the theme Jill, very original and a perfect choice ....needles stand out really well against the background, it does look painful though.

Thanks Susie, and I've still got a bruise where I had to put a needle in blind :eek:

And on to URBAN

This is mi pueblo - Huercal-Overa, a medium sized Spanish town with lots of great facilities and lots of green spaces and trees.

The first pic is the original and the second one is more funky (I actually prefer it as it looks kind of Art Deco :)) and may be a Marmite pic but it's one for my wall I think.

Urban? we have more hectic, bustling, lively rural area's around here :D

Art Deco it is (y)

And I so want the giant Bosnia tree too, any chance of digging it up and sending it?
:D

Is this rush hour in your neck of the woods Jill? I see the traffic building up and crowds vying for space on the walkways .. urban life is tough hahahaha. I too like the tree (there's something neat about Bosnia exporting bonsai).

Urban? we have more hectic, bustling, lively rural area's around here :D

Art Deco it is (y)

And I so want the giant Bosnia tree too, any chance of digging it up and sending it?
:D

Do you mean Bonsai by any chance :ROFLMAO: It's a bonsaied olive and we had one at our old place :tumbleweed:

Ah, but you should see it on market day....

Is this rush hour in your neck of the woods Jill? I see the traffic building up and crowds vying for space on the walkways .. urban life is tough hahahaha. I too like the tree (there's something neat about Bosnia exporting bonsai).

Yup, it's a hard life here Carl :cool: :tumbleweed:

Back