weekly Chris P My 2019 52’s Week 36 Soft

Free week: stunning image of the hummingbird , you’ve caught the movement of his wing well. Colours are beautiful.

Entrance: two good images both fit the theme well . I prefer the second leads you nicely as you say into the garden.

Love the signpost. Had to look up what a cellarium was! Do you have a pic of the Mosaic Angel?

FREE - The hummingbird is a stunning image. So vivid and sharp, with the blur on the wings
ENTRANCE - the second for me. As mentioned the tree frames the entrance very well.

Lovely couple of images - the humming bird is a superb capture. Great colour too.

Free is good too. I love the second image with the bloom on the tree and the path giving a nice leading line through the image

Hi Chris

Object - I have one of those, although I'm tempted to take it back for a refund as it definitely hasn't brought me wealth. Makes for a striking photo.
Rough - I prefer the tree shot. The DOF is maybe a little too shallow in the photo of the bricks (I took one of a wooden pallet and thought the same).
Free shot - Superb. Beautiful subject, nicely composed, great colours, just the right amount of blur on the wing, really good.
Entrance - Charming, simple shot, I like it.

Epic shot for your free shot. I can't add any more to what has already been said. Spot on! Your patience certainly paid off. :clap:
I like your chosen shot for Entrance for it's simplicity but I think the second one gets it for me as the framing is great. Both very nice images.

Entrance shot is nice and simple, but very effective.
Thanks a Jim
The signpost works well for the theme it looks very weathered which adds to it
Thanks Allan it’s always nice when you stumble across something like the signpost, especially when your struggling with a theme
Signpost for me Chris, nice bit of colour in there along with a good composition.
Thanks Michael
I prefer the second shot with the trees framing the entrance. Good use of the path as lead-in line and the centrally placed ornament adds interest too.
Stan, must admit I took the pathway shot after the signpost and I am torn between the two
Free week: stunning image of the hummingbird , you’ve caught the movement of his wing well. Colours are beautiful.

Entrance: two good images both fit the theme well . I prefer the second leads you nicely as you say into the garden.
Thanks Mandy
Signpost shot for me too, like the colours and the old weathered look to it.
Thanks Dave
Love the signpost. Had to look up what a cellarium was! Do you have a pic of the Mosaic Angel?
joan, got quite a few pics still to go through from that day. I don’t remember the angel though, so must of missed that !
Both 'entrance' images work very well Chris.
The sign image is my favourite, I like the simplicity and the composition.
The way you've used the gravel path and fence is jolly good.
Great colours and detail too.
(y)
Thanks Gareth
The sign shot is my pick, Chris. Love the crisp white text on the weathered wood.
Thanks Carl
FREE - The hummingbird is a stunning image. So vivid and sharp, with the blur on the wings
ENTRANCE - the second for me. As mentioned the tree frames the entrance very well.
Thanks Bob
Lovely couple of images - the humming bird is a superb capture. Great colour too.

Free is good too. I love the second image with the bloom on the tree and the path giving a nice leading line through the image
Thanks Ian
Hi Chris

Object - I have one of those, although I'm tempted to take it back for a refund as it definitely hasn't brought me wealth. Makes for a striking photo.
Rough - I prefer the tree shot. The DOF is maybe a little too shallow in the photo of the bricks (I took one of a wooden pallet and thought the same).
Free shot - Superb. Beautiful subject, nicely composed, great colours, just the right amount of blur on the wing, really good.
Entrance - Charming, simple shot, I like it.
Thanks Nick
Epic shot for your free shot. I can't add any more to what has already been said. Spot on! Your patience certainly paid off. :clap:
I like your chosen shot for Entrance for it's simplicity but I think the second one gets it for me as the framing is great. Both very nice images.
Thanks Lee

Thanks so much everybody for taking the time to view and comment it is appreciated. Need to spend some time catching up on my comments !

Last edited:
Nice image, really suits the mono PP and the crop is great.

Hi Chris,

Wet - Nicely sharp droplets, so it works for me.
Free - Lovely shot, nice vibrant colours, great sharpness and then the motion blur in the wings. :clap:
Entrance - I like both shots, the second is perhaps slightly more on theme. A pay off on the leading line too.
Young - Works very well in mono. Interesting effect with the chest of coat on the rh soldier looking a bit like an oil painting.

Good young image Chris. Well taken and great back story to it

Very good image for young, a very sad and too young an age in WW1.
It is Dave, makes me wonder what happened to them
Nice image, really suits the mono PP and the crop is great.
Thanks Jim !
Very good shot. Suits B/W totally. Good find, and well-captured.
Thanks Bob, it’s just outside the entrance to the train station, you could quite easily walk right past it when the rush hour is on
Hi Chris,

Wet - Nicely sharp droplets, so it works for me.
Free - Lovely shot, nice vibrant colours, great sharpness and then the motion blur in the wings. :clap:
Entrance - I like both shots, the second is perhaps slightly more on theme. A pay off on the leading line too.
Young - Works very well in mono. Interesting effect with the chest of coat on the rh soldier looking a bit like an oil painting.
Thanks Tim, the effect was from one of the filters on the iPad believe it or not. Quite pleased with it
Poignant and interesting image Chris.
Very nicely shot and processed, and it works very well as a mono.
(y)
Thanks Gareth !
Good young image Chris. Well taken and great back story to it
Next time I am back in Manchester I am going to revisit this and take a few more pics in different light

Thanks all for your kind comments, Need to catch up on mine !

Last edited:
Fantastic catch up! All the shots are perfect for the themes.
I'd say my favourites are the shots for ABOVE (textures and colours really pop and the pov is superb) and LIGHT (the mono works well, but maybe the color version would also?)

Really like the fireplace shot for hot and the blossoms for above well done for catching up

Food - really nice. Lots of detail to it and lovely colour. Nice idea
Smooth - ticks the box :)
Above - really like that first one. Superb the way the tree trails off into the distance with that lovely leading line narrowing all the wa
Hot - again, ticks the box and to be fair, I was close to lighting one myself but the missus she d'oth protest :)
Light - I really like this too. I might have been tempted to crop it as a square to lose the fence, as IMO, I think it detracts from the amazing detail of the trees and the light

Hot
All ways love a good fire shot.

Light
I'm rubbish at woodland photography. I think you could have darkened down the trunks a bit (which sounds a bit wierd for a theme of light), but it would show up the lighter areas more.

Fantastic set of images Chris!(y)
Food: I really like the lighting here, very nice. Colours are terrific and the details are great - good use of DoF, and I think the black bg works very well
Smooth: Nice image, the story is interesting....I wonder how many hands have passed over it to smooth it like that?
Above: Both really good images, though I think I prefer the second one....just something about the cherry blossom, it looks so fresh and bright against the sky....nicely done.
Hot: Great image....fantastic detail in the burning logs and the colours....just wow!! Love this image!!:clap:
Light: Another really great image! As you say the lighting is superb and surreal....almost has a IR feel to it. Expertly processed!:clap:

Love that light in the woods :)

Nice catch up Chris!
Food: Lovely lighting and vivid colours. Tasty interpretation to the theme too!
Smooth: Very well spotted. Perfect for the theme!
Above: Both great images. I like both for different reasons. The tree has more 'above' in it for me but the blossom shot is very well exposed and is also very pleasing.
Hot: Great colours and perfect exposure. It actually feels warm to look at :)
Light: Fab shot for this theme and I agree with Gareth - it's got a real infra-red feel to it.

Hi Chris ...eeek I didn't realise I was so behind with commenting on your thread, anyway I've had a good look through and you have some super images for the themes, I cant believe I didnt comment on the humming bird its stunning.
A hard choice between your two shots for ABOVE as I love the aspect for the tree, but the white blossom against the blue sky is beautiful.
Hot looks so warm and cosy, there's nothing like a real fire.
Light ...the mention of the Elan Valley reminds me of when I was a kid, we'd trundle off out for the day there from Birmingham in my Dads van, it was a perfect day out, long before ipads etc. :) Your trees look quite magical, almost like a fairyland, I really like it.

Fantastic catch up! All the shots are perfect for the themes.
I'd say my favourites are the shots for ABOVE (textures and colours really pop and the pov is superb) and LIGHT (the mono works well, but maybe the color version would also?)
Might be right there Bob, the original colour. I’ll have a little play with that.
Really like the fireplace shot for hot and the blossoms for above well done for catching up
Thanks Allan, was a mammoth task !
Food - really nice. Lots of detail to it and lovely colour. Nice idea
Smooth - ticks the box :)
Above - really like that first one. Superb the way the tree trails off into the distance with that lovely leading line narrowing all the wa
Hot - again, ticks the box and to be fair, I was close to lighting one myself but the missus she d'oth protest :)
Light - I really like this too. I might have been tempted to crop it as a square to lose the fence, as IMO, I think it detracts from the amazing detail of the trees and the light
um Ian, might be worth relooking at my above. Have had a few comments on this.
Two nice shots, Chris. You've done well with the Hot fire shot to able to capture the shadow details and at the same time not blown the highlight. The mono conversion suits the woodland scene for Light.
Thanks Stan, appreciate your comments. Must admit the woods looked great, not too sure if I do them justice !
Hot
All ways love a good fire shot.

Light
I'm rubbish at woodland photography. I think you could have darkened down the trunks a bit (which sounds a bit wierd for a theme of light), but it would show up the lighter areas more.
Dominic, definitely will revisit my woods for sure. Didn’t think about the shadows but there is definitely something there.
Fantastic set of images Chris!(y)
Food: I really like the lighting here, very nice. Colours are terrific and the details are great - good use of DoF, and I think the black bg works very well
Smooth: Nice image, the story is interesting....I wonder how many hands have passed over it to smooth it like that?
Above: Both really good images, though I think I prefer the second one....just something about the cherry blossom, it looks so fresh and bright against the sky....nicely done.
Hot: Great image....fantastic detail in the burning logs and the colours....just wow!! Love this image!!:clap:
Light: Another really great image! As you say the lighting is superb and surreal....almost has a IR feel to it. Expertly processed!:clap:
Gareth, thanks for your in depth review and comments. It was a mammoth task. I won’t delay like this again for sure !
Love that light in the woods :)
Thanks Dave Dave !
Nice catch up Chris!
Food: Lovely lighting and vivid colours. Tasty interpretation to the theme too!
Smooth: Very well spotted. Perfect for the theme!
Above: Both great images. I like both for different reasons. The tree has more 'above' in it for me but the blossom shot is very well exposed and is also very pleasing.
Hot: Great colours and perfect exposure. It actually feels warm to look at :)
Light: Fab shot for this theme and I agree with Gareth - it's got a real infra-red feel to it.
Thanks Lee, the woods looked fantastic in all honesty. I have tried to do them some justice. Looking at the comments I need to revisit this one for sure
Hi Chris ...eeek I didn't realise I was so behind with commenting on your thread, anyway I've had a good look through and you have some super images for the themes, I cant believe I didnt comment on the humming bird its stunning.
A hard choice between your two shots for ABOVE as I love the aspect for the tree, but the white blossom against the blue sky is beautiful.
Hot looks so warm and cosy, there's nothing like a real fire.
Light ...the mention of the Elan Valley reminds me of when I was a kid, we'd trundle off out for the day there from Birmingham in my Dads van, it was a perfect day out, long before ipads etc. :) Your trees look quite magical, almost like a fairyland, I really like it.
Thanks Susie, it’s hard work when you let a few weeks slip ! Just shows how much passion the members have to produce such great photos week in. I really try to keep up especially with comments even if it’s a straightforward like !

Many thanks all for taking the time to look at my catch up it is appreciated ! Hope I can continue this year and finally complete a 52 ! I do enjoy this forum !

Last edited:
Hi Chris, not quite up to date yet myself but just popping in to congratulate you on catching up again and posting some excellent images. My favourites are the Hummingbird for 'Free', with some super details captured to reward your patience, the faces of the youthful solders for Young, which works very well in monochrome, the lovely fresh tree canopy for Above, and the contrasting light and textures in the forest for Light. Well done :) :clap:

Back