weekly Chris's TP52 - not dead yet!! Face added

Yes Order #2 for me as well - mainly for the different coloured houses in the bg. Nice and sharp and good DoF. Blimey I wouldn't fancy going out in LA177 but a lovely characterful boat and bang on theme.

I'm staring at your Harbour orders image, thinking I know that place, then noticed the sign said Tenby.
Many many years ago around about. 1963 I used to go to school in Tenby. A convent that was opposite the arches into the town centre,
cannot remember the correct name.
Thanks for the memory.

I'm staring at your Harbour orders image, thinking I know that place, then noticed the sign said Tenby.
Many many years ago around about. 1963 I used to go to school in Tenby. A convent that was opposite the arches into the town centre,
cannot remember the correct name.
Thanks for the memory.

Happy to oblige Kath, I'm currently on holiday in a cottage in Sageston and have spent most days out with the camera. It has certainly helped me get caught up. I've also managed to get this weeks sorted, just need to decide which one :)

Ok so this weeks theme ended up giving me a few to choose from, so in the interest of retaining some form of Structure I thought I'd pick the one that I had in my mind when I walked out through the door.

I[url=https://flic.kr/p/RF7wZY]IMG_0274.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr[/URL]

and as I'd taken the time to edit them, here are the runners up

The sky is annoying me on this one as it was very flat and overcast and blew put, (note to self, must start using ND's & grads!)
IMG_0296.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

IMG_0294.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Like the POV's of all three but the one that engages me more is the middle one with the fg interest & texture provided by the rocks and the contrast it gives between man-made & natural structures.

The first one works very well for the theme, the second one maybe a candidate for a reshoot on a better day

Nice shots Chris, my pick is the last two like the pov on them more :)

Thanks Dave (y)

I prefer the first, I love the symmetry of the image

That's what I was trying to achieve, it makes a change to go out with an idea in mind and come back with it on the memory card :D

Good luck with sticking at it this year Chris and well done with the catch up, the first pier for me for the topic but I love the composition on the second one.

Thanks Susie, fingers crossed this year, who knows third time lucky. I like the second too, I was almost pleased with it, just the sky. Oh well, guess it's an excuse to visit South Wales again :)

Yay! I'm so glad someone went for that particular shoehorn...i just couldn't find any holes to shoot ;) The conversion works so well here and I love the texture in the stone.
Nice crop on order and I like the vibrant colours on your boat shot.
The first shot for structure is a cracker - real attention to detail in the symmetry (y)

Yay! I'm so glad someone went for that particular shoehorn...i just couldn't find any holes to shoot ;) The conversion works so well here and I love the texture in the stone.
Nice crop on order and I like the vibrant colours on your boat shot.
The first shot for structure is a cracker - real attention to detail in the symmetry (y)

Thanks Emma, glad you like them, I enjoyed taking them :)

I really struggled with Whole, I saw the various takes that other people had done, and found myself limited by kit. Couldn't resist a cheeky shoehorn (y)

Structure - a nice set of images to choose from, they all work for me. I cant think which one I prefer, I want to say the first one for composition, but then I also want to say the second image despite the flat looking sky.

I like whole ... on theme or not.

And that red boat in the mud.

And, well, I'm voting for Structure #3 ... just love the focus on the FG barnacles.

I like all of them, but the middle one is the pick of the bunch. Juts really like the compo and colours in it.

Structure - a nice set of images to choose from, they all work for me. I cant think which one I prefer, I want to say the first one for composition, but then I also want to say the second image despite the flat looking sky.

Thanks `Mandy, I couldn't decide which I preferred either. So I ended up picking the one I went out to get.

I like whole ... on theme or not.

And that red boat in the mud.

And, well, I'm voting for Structure #3 ... just love the focus on the FG barnacles.

Thanks David, I was pleased with how Whole came out too

Another vote for structure #3!

Thanks Bernd, Structure seems to have really divided opinions

I like all of them, but the middle one is the pick of the bunch. Juts really like the compo and colours in it.

Thanks Mark (y)

The first Structure is my fave too Chris, I love the symmetry of the image. My only modification (because I love this style) would to be too crop it to a panorama/letter box format

32604099930_65a9ffd73d_o.jpg

On theme. Decent detail. I do like these with long exposures of the water.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, me too, but unfortunately I didn't have any filters and the sky was already blowing out. However I'e now picked up a P Series kit to see how I get on. Up to now I have 1,2,3 stop grads, 2 stop ND & a CPL, I think I may need to get a stronger ND though too

Hi Chris,

Looks like I need to do a bit of a comment catchup on your catchup :)
Glad you've decided to participate as you've captured ome good images there

So, in no particular order...

Comfort - Nice warm tones there. Though cluttered, you have pushed the bg oof to emphasise the subject (y)
Hairy - A fine looking dog you have there, and a good, slightly unusual, portrait. Getting detail in blacks can be hard and you've done it well.
Mineral - Mini Stalactites? I'm intrigued to know where that was taken, it kind of looks like within a tunnel.
Smooth - All the right composition elements there Chris. It's the sort of picture you could imagine hanging in a seaside tea room. :)
Whole - Nowt wrong with a shoe-horn every now and then :) Quite muted B&W processing. I *may* have pushed the contrast a bit, dunno.
Order - I prefer the seconds one, purely on the basis of the myriad colours
Song Lyrics - Back to week 0 too eh? Fair play. Tenby I assume? I like the vibrancy of the red against the sky.
Structure - Of the lot, I think this is my favourite. Good subject matter, great symmetry, detail in the shadows and judging by the sky, you've done all of this on a flat day (ah - just read you comments, yes it was). I love the detail in #3, but #1 just edges it.

Hi Chris. Well done for catching up. I started at the beginnning and I'm stll behind! I like the first of your 'structure' photos - it empahsises the structure of the, erm, structure and the I love the obvious high tide level.

mineral - love how you captured the moisture and slippiness of the stalectites, feels all wet and damp
smooth - not a shoehorn for me, those stones look pretty smooth to me :) nicely captured against a vibrant oceanic sky
whole - sliiight shoehorn but this image is my favourite from yours that i'm commenting on tonight. if you'd cropped the left most door to be on its own, i'd have thought this coffee shoe was run by hobbits :)
order - #1 for me. simplistic. less is more. works really well, especially the angle #2 is a nice pic but that sign is a bit harsh, i'm not sure it makes for a conventionally "good" photo. very nice background though!
sitting on the dock of the bay - nice pic, very sharp, with nice constrasting red colours against greys and blues of the beachy background
structure - #3 definitely my fave, has such great depth and those barnacle things are fasinating to look at spread all over the beams

well done all round! :woot:

Hi Chris,

Looks like I need to do a bit of a comment catchup on your catchup :)
Glad you've decided to participate as you've captured ome good images there

So, in no particular order...

Comfort - Nice warm tones there. Though cluttered, you have pushed the bg oof to emphasise the subject (y)
Hairy - A fine looking dog you have there, and a good, slightly unusual, portrait. Getting detail in blacks can be hard and you've done it well.
Mineral - Mini Stalactites? I'm intrigued to know where that was taken, it kind of looks like within a tunnel.
Smooth - All the right composition elements there Chris. It's the sort of picture you could imagine hanging in a seaside tea room. :)
Whole - Nowt wrong with a shoe-horn every now and then :) Quite muted B&W processing. I *may* have pushed the contrast a bit, dunno.
Order - I prefer the seconds one, purely on the basis of the myriad colours
Song Lyrics - Back to week 0 too eh? Fair play. Tenby I assume? I like the vibrancy of the red against the sky.
Structure - Of the lot, I think this is my favourite. Good subject matter, great symmetry, detail in the shadows and judging by the sky, you've done all of this on a flat day (ah - just read you comments, yes it was). I love the detail in #3, but #1 just edges it.

Thanks for taking the time Tim and glad you enjoyed them. So in return I will give a detailed response.
Comfort - was a grab shot playing with my new lens. I was really pleased with the way it threw the BG out
Hairy - You can probably tell she is a little fed up of having the camera shoved in her face, she really is challenging and usually needs a little pop of fill to add the definition.
Mineral - These were taken inside Carew Castle near Tenby, we were looking round and spotted it inside one of the rooms
Smooth - You're too kind :)
Whole - I was gutted it was closed both times I went down as I'd love to see the interior
Order - I have mixed feelings on it if I'm honest, however the more I look at it, the more I like it (y)
Song Lyric - You're right it is indeed Tenby, in fact with the exception of "Hairy" they were all taken in and around Tenby
Structure - The weather with the exception of one day was flat and overcast all week, so I'm pleased with how most of the shots have turned out. The only bright day, I got half way to Tenby and remembered I need to submit my expenses by 3pm that day so had to turn round and head back to the cottage :banghead:

Hi Chris. Well done for catching up. I started at the beginnning and I'm stll behind! I like the first of your 'structure' photos - it empahsises the structure of the, erm, structure and the I love the obvious high tide level.
Thanks Nick, it was the underside of the old Offshore Lifeboat ramp in Tenby. I'd seen it earlier in the week and when the theme came up, I did a little jump for joy as I'd been wanting an excuse to get some pics. From then it was a case of waiting for the tide. (y)

mineral - love how you captured the moisture and slippiness of the stalectites, feels all wet and damp
smooth - not a shoehorn for me, those stones look pretty smooth to me :) nicely captured against a vibrant oceanic sky
whole - sliiight shoehorn but this image is my favourite from yours that i'm commenting on tonight. if you'd cropped the left most door to be on its own, i'd have thought this coffee shoe was run by hobbits :)
order - #1 for me. simplistic. less is more. works really well, especially the angle #2 is a nice pic but that sign is a bit harsh, i'm not sure it makes for a conventionally "good" photo. very nice background though!
sitting on the dock of the bay - nice pic, very sharp, with nice constrasting red colours against greys and blues of the beachy background
structure - #3 definitely my fave, has such great depth and those barnacle things are fasinating to look at spread all over the beams

well done all round! :woot:

Thanks Dom, I'm glad you like them and its good to see that I appear to split opinions on a few (Order & Structure), Order was one of those where I was on my way back from taking the shot of the sign and spotted the parking bay number and had a sudden flash of inspiration. (y)

Great structure, lots of opportunities. The second one for me, I like the angle and the rocks framing the edge.

(y)

Numbers

So I'm well and truly out of synch, however I've been struggling with the themes a bit. For numbers I wanted to something around my love of motorsport (plenty of numbers), however my first race isn't until next weekend. So I thought I'd have a play with PP and see what I came up with. This was it. I wanted to add a touch of drama to a shot that I took and liked last year (I'll post the original too).

untitled shoot April 11, 2015 2747_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

(Original)

untitled shoot April 11, 2015 2747_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Last edited:
Processing certainly adds drama. (y) But I agree ... a bit to dark around the rear.

Thanks for the comments all, I was trying a new style of processing and think the addition of the second grad over the rear might have been a touch too far. Anyways here's a few more......

Back